4/7/07 - PcenginefxTV Episode 7 now live!

Started by PCEngineFX, 04/07/2007, 01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineFX

I am happy to announce that PcenginefxTV episode 7 is now live with high-quality Quicktime and Windows Media formats available.  Please post any comments or questions about the episode in this thread.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/main/
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

evilmax17

IMGIMG

Love the commercial idea, and there's tons of NEC commercials to keep it going in future episodes.  The reviews were great and spot on.  As always, the production values are astounding.

Keep up the good work!
IMG

PCEngineFX

Thank you for your comments evilmax17.  The problem with the commercial idea is that I want to show commercials that you've not seen before, not ones I've already posted up on pcengine-fx.com already.

I'm the downside, I'm seriously running out of exclusive "Turbo Goods" to show everyone...which really sucks as I really like to show people as much exclusive content as I can.
IMG
IMG

td741

It's a nice episode.  I would have liked to see the 2 player aspect of Shockman a little further since it is a bit different then most games. (If I remember correctly both players share the same energy bar.  Also there is a mega energy blast when both players charge up their weapons, one player shoots their charge weapon on the other player charging up that player's weapon even further.)  But then again, it's not the easiest thing to set up and you would need two players. :P

I'm just amazed at the quality of the footage...

esteban

Yay! Thanks for QT version ... I will watch this ASAP :).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PCEngineFX

Quote from: td741 on 04/08/2007, 12:00 PMIt's a nice episode.  I would have liked to see the 2 player aspect of Shockman a little further since it is a bit different then most games. (If I remember correctly both players share the same energy bar.  Also there is a mega energy blast when both players charge up their weapons, one player shoots their charge weapon on the other player charging up that player's weapon even further.)  But then again, it's not the easiest thing to set up and you would need two players. :P

I'm just amazed at the quality of the footage...
Yah I knew about the mega blast, but did not make mention of it (though it is the best way to kill the bosses.)  I did not know that you could charge the other player with your weapon....that's interesting. 

Sorry that I didn't show 2 player mode (I would have if I had another set of hands...but this week I didn't.)
IMG
IMG

Keranu

Great work and thanks for releasing a new episode! And yeah, the commercial idea was great.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

td741

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 04/08/2007, 01:45 PMYah I knew about the mega blast, but did not make mention of it (though it is the best way to kill the bosses.)  I did not know that you could charge the other player with your weapon....that's interesting.

I'm not sure if it's in the intructions, I think I got that game used actually.  My roommate at the time and I discovered that 2 player super-charge by accident. :P 

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 04/08/2007, 01:45 PMSorry that I didn't show 2 player mode (I would have if I had another set of hands...but this week I didn't.)
No need to apologize for that. :P  I realize you can only cram so much.  I do like the fact that you let some of the game footage just play for itself for a little while after the brief review.

evilmax17

I don't know what your thoughts are about this, but you could edit each of the reviews out into standalone clips, and then shop them around to the various major gaming blogs (Joystiq/Kotaku/GoNintendo).  I've already linked somebody who was asking for info on Battle Loadrunner.  I doubt you'll find many other video reviews of that, or any of the other games you've reviewed.  You've got some primo orginal content in the archives of PCETV, which should definately be made more accessible to the masses.

More people need to know about this great site!  Especially with the TG16 being reintroduced to everybody via the Wii.
IMG

VestCunt

Great episode!  Thank you!
I really liked the Lords of Thunder footage from Sega CD and I wouldn't mind seeing more NEC related games like that.
What on Earth was that one crazy commercial with the women and little kids dancing?
Topic Adjourned.

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 04/09/2007, 02:05 AMWhat on Earth was that one crazy commercial with the women and little kids dancing?
HAHA, yes! It was so funny because he played two Turbo related commercials before it, so I was expecting another one but instead I get this crazy Japanese commercial that had nothing to do with the rest of the show. I loved it :D .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

NecroPhile

A thousand thanks for another fantastic episode.  The adverts were a nice addition, and the 'back to PCENGINEFX TV' in the Ys intro is the best part of the whole episode - simply awesome.  :dance:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PCEngineFX

Quote from: guest on 04/09/2007, 02:05 AMGreat episode!  Thank you!
I really liked the Lords of Thunder footage from Sega CD and I wouldn't mind seeing more NEC related games like that.
What on Earth was that one crazy commercial with the women and little kids dancing?
LOL - I added that because I wanted to throw something in there not related to NEC at all, and the Morning Musume TV commercials are always crazy, so I put in that one as I thought it would mix stuff up a bit (I have another one which I can't wait to show..heheh..even more wacky!)
IMG
IMG

PCEngineFX

Quote from: guest on 04/09/2007, 04:02 PMA thousand thanks for another fantastic episode.  The adverts were a nice addition, and the 'back to PCENGINEFX TV' in the Ys intro is the best part of the whole episode - simply awesome.  :dance:
Believe it or not, those "back to PCENGINFX TV" segments took the longest time to implement.  As you can see at least with the Riot Zone and Dungeon Explorer 2 segments, they were altered in post quite a bit...and the music for those two were from different Turbo games as well.

The Ys intro segment was fairly easy as I just repeated the animation of the lightning over and over right before the real text appears which if you notice, the lightning never becomes as intense as the original.

A side note, I was implying a subtle "brokeback" feeling to the Riot Zone segment the way I slow-mo'd it and the music ;)
IMG
IMG

PCEngineFX

Quote from: evilmax17 on 04/08/2007, 10:14 PMI don't know what your thoughts are about this, but you could edit each of the reviews out into standalone clips, and then shop them around to the various major gaming blogs (Joystiq/Kotaku/GoNintendo).  I've already linked somebody who was asking for info on Battle Loadrunner.  I doubt you'll find many other video reviews of that, or any of the other games you've reviewed.  You've got some primo orginal content in the archives of PCETV, which should definately be made more accessible to the masses.

More people need to know about this great site!  Especially with the TG16 being reintroduced to everybody via the Wii.
I can't agree more.  If I can get advance notice enough, maybe I can put up reviews of the upcoming Turbo games by themselves.  I've linked myself in some Joystiq comments for previous VC games, but have not got a blurb about my TV shows on there as of yet....
IMG
IMG

PCEngineFX

So what do you guys think the secret never-before-seen item is at the end of PcenginefxTV Episode 7?  There is a hint in the image...
IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

Looks like the top of Zonk's head from one of the ads, so my guess is the original artwork.  The pic looks like it was taken on Ektachrome 64T.  What, did you give up on digital?  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PCEngineFX

You're on the right track there Necromancer - and no I've not given up on digital... that item I didn't take myself....  :-"
IMG
IMG

Air_Zonk

Episode 7 was cool. That is seriously some awesome work youre doing. Thanks!

sideshow

The link to Episode 7 is actually the link for Episode 5. ](*,)

PCEngineFX

Ah, sorry about that - in my last update the link must have reverted to an earlier page revision.  It is now fixed.
IMG
IMG

Dark Fact

Sorry for the belated review but I finally got around to watching this episode on a high-speed internet connection on my university's computer.

As always, great job Aaron.  Loved the review segments as usual.  But...what the hell was up with that Japanese fast food ad? :lol: I mean...it looks like a Japanese steakhouse of some sort. :P And the girls were really cute! :D

Oh yeah, whoever is the narrator of the Sega CD version of Lords of Thunder did a kickass job! I swore I heard his voice before! But where? :-k

Can't wait for episode 8...when it comes out. ](*,)
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

PCEngineFX

Glad you finally got to enjoy episode 7.  There will be more episodes, but as to when I can't say.

As for the Japanese ad, I like to put random (cute) stuff into my shows and this ad I had to include in there.  The main girl in that ad is Ishikawa Rika, an ex-member of the Japanese all-girl J-POP group, Morning Musume.

I don't know who the narrator was of the Sega CD version of LoT so can't answer that one.....
IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

For whatever reason I didn't see this until just now.  Oh well, it was very entertaining to watch and I hope there are many more in the future, no matter how much effort they require to produce!  Maybe put in random (but real) commercials if you run out of NEC ones... like for a new episode of Sanford and Son or something random from the past.

I have a couple of questions and comments:

1 - Why does the show content take up less visual space than the commercials?  The commercials were full screen, but the games were pillarboxed inside of a letterboxed area.  Perhaps you could produce the whole thing as a 16:9 Quicktime, but then again most of the content will be 4:3 so probably not.  The video introductions of you could stay letterboxed, as that adds some variety and flair.

2 - Do you green screen yourself?

3 - Looks like you have Adobe After Effects 7 or higher.  I love that program (though I hate tweaking its bezier curves when Easy Ease is applied).

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/02/2008, 05:41 AM1 - Why does the show content take up less visual space than the commercials?  The commercials were full screen, but the games were pillarboxed inside of a letterboxed area.  Perhaps you could produce the whole thing as a 16:9 Quicktime, but then again most of the content will be 4:3 so probably not.  The video introductions of you could stay letterboxed, as that adds some variety and flair.
This was something that was overlooked during the production of the episode.  Since the video footage of me was shot in HD 16:9, everything else was supposed to be in 16:9 as well.  I don't like the idea of switching aspect ratios so that's why the game footage was formatted for 16:9 in this episode.  For future episodes I might go back to 4:3 for all content, but I'm partial to widescreen.

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/02/2008, 05:41 AM2 - Do you green screen yourself?
I didn't use any green screen for this episode.  The footage of me was shot on a practical set (the backdrop was white).  I can't wait to film a new episode as the video quality I can achieve now is light-years beyond what I had in this episode.

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/02/2008, 05:41 AM3 - Looks like you have Adobe After Effects 7 or higher.  I love that program (though I hate tweaking its bezier curves when Easy Ease is applied).
It does look like I use After Effects, but I didn't (I use Combustion for all of my compositing, but none was done for this episode).  What I did use for this episode was my Matrox RT.X2 Realtime HD editing card (http://www.matrox.com/video/products/rtx2_card/home.cfm) which can do a lot of After Effects style FX in real-time inside of Premiere Pro.  I also used the RT.X2 for my "Love & Lost" video (
as well.
IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

I also prefer widescreen myself for almost everything I do, but since the games themselves aren't widescreen it does look a bit odd.  It would look less odd in a 16:9 Quicktime/WMV, but it would have to be letterboxed for Youtube.  Youtube needs to get on the ball and allow native 16:9 content.

Premiere Pro, eh?  Watchoo got against Sony Vegas?  Or Windows Movie Maker?  Erp, nevermind.  Premiere Pro is the best Windows alternative to Final Cut Pro, in my opinion, and a righteous application.

Dark Fact

Aaron, is it my imagination or was there an extra video on PCEngineFX TV that covered more details on the Virtual Console or highlighting TG-16 at a gaming convention that you removed? Enlighten me.
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

PCEngineFX

Pcenginefx TV episode 6 covered the Virtual Console & Hudson games from E3 2006....was that the one you were thinking of?
IMG
IMG