"Lords of Thunder: PC" (Updated 1/23/2022)

Started by PCEngineFX, 09/21/2007, 01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsunexus

Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

PCEngineFX

Lords of Thunder: The Return of Landis - v0.3

DOWNLOAD: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/main/lottrol/LoTTRoL_03.exe (4.2MB, Windows OS)

NOTES: A HUGE update this time (about 6 hours of work).  Check out the changes below.

MAJOR CHANGES:
-Score & health system implemented.  Keeps track of health, score (killing enemies) and credits (for collecting crystals). Blue crystals are worth 5 credits and killing the "bird" enemy is worth 300 points each.  Being hit by an enemy bullet results in -10 health (you start out with 100) and ramming into a enemy results in -30 health.

-Weapon system (partly) implemented.  You can shoot the enemy (in this case the "bird' enemy) and the enemy can shoot back at you, tracking where you go.  No power-ups as of yet and no using your sword for close-range attacks.

-"Bird" enemy added with movement & shooting logic.  There are two types of birds in the game - one non-shooting and one shooting.  Shooting bird has 1 in 50 chance every frame of shooting you.

MINOR CHANGES
-Remastered all sound FX from Magic Engine emulation instead of DUO hardware.
-When Landis is hit, instead of flashing white in the original game, there is a flash of yellowish sparks.  When Landis dies, a game-generated particle explosion occurs instead of the original "stars" that he turns into.
-Added lvl 1 background music (taken from the original game)
-Added special ending for demo if you can make it all the way ;)
-This demo is not infinite (unlike previous versions) - it will end in a short time.
-Let's see who can get the highest score!

IMG
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

Keranu

The game is coming out very nice! Hopefully you'll be able to incorporate the real sound effects soon :D .

And yes there is a BIG surprise at the end! ;)
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Keranu on 10/13/2007, 09:39 PMThe game is coming out very nice! Hopefully you'll be able to incorporate the real sound effects soon :D .
Uhmm...those are the real sound FX...when I meant by remastered, I meant taken from the magic engine emulated version and not from the DUO hardware.
IMG
IMG

Keranu

Ok after playing it again, I guess it's only the sound effect when killing enemies that sounds different. I guess it's the ME emulation?

My high score is 13,500.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Kitsunexus

Aaron, you rule. ^___^  :dance: :dance:
I really love the fact that there is no performance hit in full-screen like some other games.

I like the sound effects but the music is mixed too low.  I can't really see anything wrong other than that.

Also I would have never expected the ending....

SPOILERS BELOW!

JOHNNY TURBO POPS OUT OF A BIRTHDAY CAKE!!!

Joe Redifer

Why would you use the emulated sound effects instead of the real thing?  Magic Engine isn't known for it's super-accurate sound emulation.

PCEngineFX

Actually, if you listen to it, all of the sound FX sound different from the DUO hardware (some sounds more than others).  I did a quick look in the Magic Engine forums to see if there was an explanation to this but couldn't find anything.  I thought that the Magic Engine emulation sound FX is more accurate (they definitely have more fidelity hands-down).  When I listen to the sound FX out of the DUO hardware, it sounds like I'm only getting 80% of the sound when compared to Magic Engine.

I'm going to email David @ Magic Engine to get the word on this...
IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

I'm pretty sure a real Duo emulates PC Engine sounds a little bit better than Magic Engine could.  In fact I have read that the Duo sounds almost exactly like a real PC Engine!

Anyway I finally downloaded this and tried it out.  Everything is cool except the control.  I cannot control it well at all.  I need to use my thumbs, not my freakin' fingertips!  So the control is slow and inaccurate for me.  I died in seconds, exited the application and quickly deleted it.  Let me know when I can control it with my thumbs (re: joypad support).

Kitsunexus

Yeah this game was kicking my ass as well. If we can get gamepad support then I can use my awesome Gamecube pad! ^___^

Keranu

Lucky for me I'm a natural with a keyboard ;) . Actually horizontal shooters are one genre that I can play much better with a d-pad (the up and down motion with keyboard isn't as easy).
IMG

Turbo D

for some reason its not working for me. I get an error message and it closes  :(
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

PCEngineFX

Quote from: turbo D on 10/14/2007, 05:59 AMfor some reason its not working for me. I get an error message and it closes  :(
What error do you get?
What OS you running?
IMG
IMG

Turbo D

Good news; I'm not getting the error message today  :D Maybe my computer just needed a rest or something  :-k I'm running xp but my computer is pretty old.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: turbo D on 10/14/2007, 05:59 AMfor some reason its not working for me. I get an error message and it closes  :(
I got the same error when I tried running it for the first time last night. After time went by and I loaded it again, it worked. I think it's because my system was using too much memory at the time maybe.
IMG

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Keranu on 10/14/2007, 09:16 PM
I got the same error when I tried running it for the first time last night. After time went by and I loaded it again, it worked. I think it's because my system was using too much memory at the time maybe.
LMK if you guys keep seeing this behavior.

So I've been trying to add joystick support to the game and quite frankly, it SUCKS (at least for 360 controllers).  I can't get it to work properly with analog sticks...for some strange reason when the game registers diagonal movement from the analog stick, it throws the Landis bullet timing off big time.  I have yet to try just a regular d-pad so I HOPE this bug is only related to analog sticks...if not...  :cry:
IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

Lookin' good Aaron, keep at it.  =D>

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/13/2007, 11:00 PMLet me know when I can control it with my thumbs (re: joypad support).
Have you tried JoyToKey (or something similar) to map joystick input to the keyboard?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PCEngineFX

Quote from: guest on 10/15/2007, 05:12 PMLookin' good Aaron, keep at it.  =D>

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/13/2007, 11:00 PMLet me know when I can control it with my thumbs (re: joypad support).
Have you tried JoyToKey (or something similar) to map joystick input to the keyboard?
If I can't get around this major joystick bug, then JoyToKey might be the only way to "fix" it unfortunately (though I'd love to have a integrated solution).  I think it was because of this that I quit the first time around with Lords of Thunder PC (the source code in the original port had only a crude joystick implementation)...this time, I won't let it stop my progress...
IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

Good to know JoyToKey exists.  And the only controllers I have are 360 controllers!  I imagine MS probably puts something hyper-proprietary in there.

Kitsunexus

Tomorrow I'll try the demo with JoyToKey and see how well that works. ^_^

Kitsunexus

BUMP!

Wassup! Hope this doesn't turn into Lords Of Thunder: Forever...

mikec

looks great, has there been any updates?
i am currently working on a legendary axe II remake using gogan from the first game using game maker.

PCEngineFX

Hi mikec - welcome to the forums.

I've not worked on LoT for a while but that doesn't mean it's dead....it's just one of those many projects that I have that I'm saving for a rainy day to get back to.
IMG
IMG

mikec

sounds great?  Your demo looks amazing and I would like to pick your brain on somethings about game maker some time.

PCEngineFX

Just a quick note - my LoT project isn't dead...a new version will be coming out any day now.
IMG
IMG

PCEngineFX

I was hoping to get out a big update last night but I ended up hitting a bug which I was unable to fix all last night (and frustrated me to no end!)  As soon as I can fix this bug a new update will be out!
IMG
IMG

oldskool

Excited to see that it's still alive, this is my favorite PCE/TGCD game!

spenoza

oldskool

PCEngineFX

The word is that this still sits on my hard drive, awaiting for me to work on it again when I find the two things called "time" and "motivation".
IMG
IMG

spenoza

This is dire indeed. I know not where to find either of these things, as my recent graduate work will attest.

PCEngineFX

I used to have time and motivation in bunches, but life (aka marriage) has sucked the life out of me.  I can't imagine what will happen to me if I have a kid.
IMG
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 04/08/2009, 04:40 PMI used to have time and motivation in bunches, but life (aka marriage) has sucked the life out of me.  I can't imagine what will happen to me if I have a kid.
You'll end updating stuff every few years, like me :).

Although I've been trying to get better...

Also, you'll become infatuated with Gomola Speed because it is a relatively "non-violent" video game that you can play while your child is around :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PCEngineFX

Still have the source files/assets and decided to see if I could re-create what I had made back in 2009, but better.  Not promising how far I'll get with this but we'll see.

Loaded the title screen....looks like it works :)

/2ykiexk.jpg
IMG
IMG

cjameslv

Give this man a cigar! It's not* everyday i see someone NecroPhile their own thread, let alone one started in 2007  :shock: You sure got alot on your plate, and im not just talkin about your Makergear M2 plate...hahaha...i don't get out much...

NightWolve

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 01/08/2015, 02:38 AMIt is inspirational to me watching your PCE renaissance. It gives me hope that one day I may have time to persue interests again...
Just quoted for agreement and emphasis.

PCEngineFX

Hehe............I better not peruse any more interests, otherwise I won't get any of them done!
IMG
IMG

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PCEngineFX

UPDATE 1.10.14: Starting from scratch...release .001
DOWNLOAD: 1drv.ms/17w42s1

Since I'm pretty much starting over with this, I went ahead and started re-sourcing the sprites in higher native resolutions, starting with the title screen.  This first release is just the title screen background with proper parallax (nothing else).

IMG
IMG
IMG

NightWolve

Works here on my 32-bit Windows Vista PC (AMD Phenom 8450 CPU, 3 GB RAM, 256 MB ATI Radeon HD3450 GFX card). Title screen background looks just about how I remember it to be.

Sarumaru

Wow very cool! This is a great game too. I'd love to see this treatment with say, Valis - a Phantasm Soldier  :D

Dicer

NightWolve

IMG

Looks like Aaron has not quite "retired" yet, apparently he's resumed work on his old Lords of Thunder Windows PC port! I'll update the OP thread with download links/shots accordingly when available. The files linked are the same from 2007 so far.

https://youtu.be/YBXYdvG0YIM