10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldenWheels

Quote from: esteban on 07/26/2016, 12:12 PM
Quote from: GoldenWheels on 07/26/2016, 11:18 AMPlaying Road Spirits right now....it's like the definition of mediocre in every sense. Yet I can't stop playing.

Track 5 kicks ass on the "CD player" in your virtual car, that helps a lot.
I want to listen to the songs now, just to see which track you are referring to!
You have to love sweet guitar riffs esteban! But it is easily the best track on the disc IMO.

(It actually took me some time to realize I had to change the music myself....I played 7 or 8 races in a row and was REALLY getting sick of that first easy listening track, even though it's not bad)

csgx1

I really like Road Spirits mainly because it has the NSX.  Though it does get very repetitive after so many races. 

I agree track 5, "A Seal" is the best track.

Gypsy

Quote from: Gredler on 07/25/2016, 08:34 PMThis weekend was a friggin blast in the pce game playing department.

It was hellishly hot, and I don't have AC, so I spent most of my day in the pool then going to the basement for game playing, and repeating.

On Friday night I saw this for the first time,
IMG

I was so stoked to have finished the game, I didn't want the action RPG action to stop so I jumped into Dungeon Explorer - another game I would've loved to have known about and had instead of say... Tailspin ( thanks Mom)

I played as the fighter, and killed the first few bosses - I stopped to take a break and didn't go back after beating the flower boss. What a blast the game was though, and I am excited to go back and finish it up :)
Was this your first time playing Ys? Great game. Don't play the DS version LOL.

Dungeon Explorer is good fun too. Been playing 2 player with a friend lately.

GoldenWheels

Quote from: csgx1 on 07/26/2016, 01:26 PMI really like Road Spirits mainly because it has the NSX.  Though it does get very repetitive after so many races. 

I agree track 5, "A Seal" is the best track.
Thanks for remembering the name...I didn't and google was failing me.

I kept waiting for the game to get harder/faster/whatever....the last race is hardly different than the first. But it's still fun in a boring zen kind of way.

Idblbruno

Quote from: esteban on 07/25/2016, 08:32 AM^ In addition to Boxyboy, you might try Timeball (Blodia). It's a puzzle game that many people trash, but it is actually a great game.
I am adding that to my list now.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Kappa

Been playing a bunch of Puzzle Boy and Parasol Stars these last few days, pretty good if you your expecting something to happen so you can drop them instantly.

Gredler

Quote from: Gypsy on 07/26/2016, 01:47 PMWas this your first time playing Ys? Great game. Don't play the DS version LOL.

Dungeon Explorer is good fun too. Been playing 2 player with a friend lately.
Yes I was a long time listener first time player on both Ys I & II and Dungeon Explorer. Both highly impressed and stood up to le hype :) I haven't gone back and played any PCE since that post, but DE will be in the incentive to play again.

SoulflySolid

Got a PCE works copy of Godzilla the other day, been trying to unlock most of the monsters. Sometimes the AI just stands there, other times it kicks my ass. Fun game though. Sound effects are awesome

EmperorIng

I 1CC'd Xevious' arrange mode on the PCE last night; now I want to take a serious stab at KiKi KaiKai. Taito's shooter is very tough and extremely twitchy. As another pal of mine put it, it walks the line between memorizer and pure twitch-reflex shooter.

i'm a big fanboy of Taito though so I'm helplessly drawn in to even their meaner earlier works. I'd like the arcade port of KiKi KaiKai on the PS2 more if it didn't seem to mess up the sound-effects of the shot vs. MAME - it's a high-pitched grating sound that makes me lose interest.

The shot sound on the PCE port isn't great, but at least it isn't as bad as the game-ruining SFX for New Zealand Story.

Gypsy

Bomberman 93. Finally, my multi-tap gets more love. :D

munchiaz

I was lucky enough to get a Henshin Engine demo. Played it a bit before i had to leave town for a few days. Going to play it again when i get back, and write up some stuff on it

ginoscope

I was testing my pce duo to see how it looks on the xrgb mini and I was using bonk to test.  I have owned bonk for a long time but I have not played it much since I was a kid.  I actually got caught up playing it and made it almost to the very end.  Such a great game and brought back memories of playing it in 1990.

geise

Still playing Dragon Slayer.  Been super busy and haven't had the time.  Now I will play some tonight!  Try to finish another chapter.

gheebee

As I walked past the CRT setup this morning I suddenly had a really good feeling that today might be the day and decided to pop in New Adventure Island. 30 minutes later I finally achieved what I had failed countless times before to do, I beat the game without dying once!!! Even beat my best score in the process.
Next I will see if I can get 400000 or better ...yep, the fun never ends on New Adventure Island! :]

esteban

Quote from: gheebee on 08/12/2016, 11:36 AMAs I walked past the CRT setup this morning I suddenly had a really good feeling that today might be the day and decided to pop in New Adventure Island. 30 minutes later I finally achieved what I had failed countless times before to do, I beat the game without dying once!!! Even beat my best score in the process.
Next I will see if I can get 400000 or better ...yep, the fun never ends on New Adventure Island! :]
Awesome.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

nopepper

Quote from: gheebee on 08/12/2016, 11:36 AMAs I walked past the CRT setup this morning I suddenly had a really good feeling that today might be the day and decided to pop in New Adventure Island. 30 minutes later I finally achieved what I had failed countless times before to do, I beat the game without dying once!!! Even beat my best score in the process.
Wow. Do you have a video of this feat?

I've found that if I take my time, the game is actually pretty easy, but I feel like such a badass when I've properly memorized a level and speed run through it, that I end up dying more than I should for trying to go too fast!

Such a great game; the more I play it, the more I appreciated it.

gheebee

Quote from: nopepper on 08/12/2016, 07:47 PMWow. Do you have a video of this feat?

I've found that if I take my time, the game is actually pretty easy, but I feel like such a badass when I've properly memorized a level and speed run through it, that I end up dying more than I should for trying to go too fast!

Unfortunately I don't, just a screenshot from the end in the high score thread.
When I was trying to beat it for the first time I'd occasionally try and go slow but I feel like I always have to be running when I play this. As hard as it was at first to beat this, the game becomes a lot easier after that first time but also never seems to stop being fun. Picked this one up when I got back into TG16 about a year ago and it is easily my most played game.

esteban

Quote from: gheebee on 08/13/2016, 03:13 AM
Quote from: nopepper on 08/12/2016, 07:47 PMWow. Do you have a video of this feat?

Unfortunately I don't, just a screenshot from the end in the high score thread.
When I was trying to beat it for the first time I'd occasionally try and go slow but I feel like I always have to be running when I play this. As hard as it was at first to beat this, the game becomes a lot easier after that first time but also never seems to stop being fun. Picked this one up when I got back into TG16 about a year ago and it is easily my most played game.
Wonderboy 1 (SMS)/Adventure Island I&II (NES)/New Adventure Island/________ all have fantastic replay value. I go back to them all the time. For decades.

_____ = JJ & Jeff, which not as many people like

gheebee

Quote from: esteban on 08/13/2016, 08:15 AMWonderboy 1 (SMS)/Adventure Island I&II (NES)/New Adventure Island/________ all have fantastic replay value. I go back to them all the time. For decades.

_____ = JJ & Jeff, which not as many people like
I'll take more or less any Adventure Island or Wonder Boy game, can't get enough of either series and wish that someday we'd see a "Wonder Boy on Adventure Island" or "Master Higgins Meets Wonder Boy" game. :]  JJ & Jeff I enjoy but not nearly as much.

GoldenWheels

Played some Hellfire, got frustrated. Wanted a change.

Switched to Bomberman Panic Bomber because puzzle games are light, refreshing fun right? Ha! Fuck no. I got through the first 4 levels because they're baby easy I assume...I have very little understanding of the mechanics of the game once the CPU starts...trying.

Gypsy

Mooooooore Spriggan. Just can't quit this game.

EmperorIng

I hope all this time with Spriggan has seen you graduate to the higher difficulties like VERY HARD, or UNBELIEVABLE - the latter of which, according to the characters in-game, is suitable only for SHOOTINGO MASUTAHS.

Gypsy

I have not tried unbelievable yet. I'm probably not good enough though. I can beat shooters, but not usually when ramping up to top difficulties.

Going to fire up a platformer before I leave this morning. I'm thinking PC Genjin 2.

Gypsy

Quote from: Gypsy on 08/25/2016, 07:57 AMI have not tried unbelievable yet. I'm probably not good enough though. I can beat shooters, but not usually when ramping up to top difficulties.

Going to fire up a platformer before I leave this morning. I'm thinking PC Genjin 2.
Ended up going through Macross 2036 again instead. Sometimes you just want an easy play through. XD

Damon Plus

Neutopia 2. I had to emulate it because this one is truly expensive. First one was a great little adventure, and this one seems more of the same.

GoldenWheels

Saint Dragon.

I need a longer tail!

Gypsy

Saturday morning Bonk. Pretty clean playthrough, a few deaths because I suck at the ice throwing boss though lol.

csgx1

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 09/01/2016, 08:26 AMSaint Dragon.

I need a longer tail!
I enjoy Saint Dragon.  It's not too difficult when powered up and with a little memorization. 

Been playing Cho Aniki.  So far I like this more than the 2nd game Ai Cho Aniki based on the control scheme.

EvilEvoIX

Batman & Robin for the Sega Genesis.  What an amazing Gem this game is.  Oh and impossible.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

blueraven

Currently Playing Ninja Spirit and Gradius II

GoldenWheels

Quote from: csgx1 on 09/03/2016, 11:54 AM

I need a longer tail!
I enjoy Saint Dragon.  It's not too difficult when powered up and with a little memorization. 
I've been picking it up every other night, I like the kind of slow pace of it but...I can get to the level 3 boss, but haven't been able to beat him. VEry frustrating because when I die with full speed and  the "B" weapon all powered up, I then become PATHETICALLY weak, and stage 3 doesn't give me enough time to power back up before boss time.

So I battle the stage 3 boss for like 5  damns mins to get him to his third (?) form (very easy, but monotonous because of my pea shooter weapon) and then he busts out those speedy as &^$% little fighters....and without speed ups I can't dodge them.

So the last 2 plays, I get there, I died.....switched off. I'll get past him first try sooner or later.

esteban

I need a longer tail!
Where have you been?

I like St Dragon, too. It is easy, trust us. You'll figure it out :)

I made a keychain out of the St. Dragon jewel box:

KEYCHAIN (NEVER LOSE YOUR KEYS):
IMG

KEYCAPS (CONCEAL YOUR KEYS FROM NOSY NEIGHBORS):
IMG

TRANSFORM (TAKE BROKEN HuCARD, CUT OFF 70%, PAINT IT RED, USE AS KEY CHAIN):
IMG

GoldenWheels

Quote from: esteban on 09/05/2016, 12:21 PM

I need a longer tail!
Where have you been?

I like St Dragon, too. It is easy, trust us. You'll figure it out :)

I made a keychain out of the St. Dragon jewel box:
I'm NO shooter pro and tend to like easier ones.  I won't give up!

Also, I would like to be entered in the raffle for the Saint Dragon Keychain. Thanks.  :-"

tbone3969

Just started playing The Prince of Persia.  I beat Flashback and Out of this World over the past year or so.  Now onto the grand daddy of them all.  I really like it so far.  Interesting count down timer.  You have to beat it within one hour of actual game play.  Pretty unique.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

SoulflySolid

Played Toilet Kids on the express while taking a dump.

Gypsy

Got the pinball itch last night so I fired up Devil's Crush. Man was I rusty but I soon got back into the groove.

esteban

Quote from: SoulflySolid on 09/06/2016, 04:43 PMPlayed Toilet Kids on the express while taking a dump.
Toilet Kids ain't so bad....I've played far worse.

:)

EmperorIng

"I've played worse."

I mean, there are some people unfortunate enough to have played Browning or Jinmu Denshou, but that is not exactly an endorsement, lol.

esteban

Quote from: EmperorIng on 09/07/2016, 07:52 PM"I've played worse."

I mean, there are some people unfortunate enough to have played Browning or Jinmu Denshou, but that is not exactly an endorsement, lol.
Toilet Kids is generic, but Jinmu D. Is really flawed (and I *want* to like it, since I love Space Harrier), but...damn.

Browning...kool mecha that *could* have been a lot of fun —smash, jump, shoot (think Veigues, which I find enjoyable)—but Browning just isn't fun at all.

Damn shame.

Anyway... I'm not confusing Pet* Shop Boys with Toilet Kids, am I?

*Toy Shop

Psycho Punch

Twin Cobra. I swear I was doing extremely well until stage 5. I had like 12 extra lives, all gone lol.
Made to stage 6 with 975,000 points. Not bad. No continues allowed because Super Hucard.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

spawnshop

Was playing Dragon's Curse last night (PCE Adventure Island - just installed my Obey chip :)
It's cool, but pretty easy and boring to start.  Didn't get into too far, so I'll guess I'll give it another go tonight or tomorrow.

Took me a minute to get into it since the menus and selects in the beginning are all Japanese....LOL

GoldenWheels

Got through level 3 of St Dragon finally.....got to Level four boss....after a few attempts it was late and I was like "meh". Still...progress!

EmperorIng

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 09/08/2016, 11:01 AMafter a few attempts... I was like "meh"
You have just described the entire span of time of my owning Saint Dragon before selling it!

Quote from: guest on 09/07/2016, 09:40 PMTwin Cobra. I swear I was doing extremely well until stage 5. I had like 12 extra lives, all gone lol.
Kyuukyoku Tiger is really, really easy on the PCE up until the halfway point, which is where it starts showing some backbone.

Along with its slow start, its biggest flaw is that when you finally do loop it after 10 stages, the difficulty resets! After nail-biting aggression and dodging you are swung back to easy-peasy by comparison. After this, I gave up from boredom and intentionally suicided by 2-3. The Genesis port is hard right from the get-go, but maybe for the wrong reasons (huge sprites + zoomed-in screen means you are always in danger). It has its fans.

Still, those final 5 stages are something else - very wicked and tricky to maneuver. Good luck getting past that hump. Remember: blue weapon only! Learn to love the bomb! Be attitude for gains!

GoldenWheels

Quote from: EmperorIng on 09/08/2016, 11:52 AM
Quote from: GoldenWheels on 09/08/2016, 11:01 AMafter a few attempts... I was like "meh"
You have just described the entire span of time of my owning Saint Dragon before selling it!
Frankly I'm starting to become kind of meh on it overall but at this point, in for a penny in for a pound...I'm gonna beat this damn game.

spawnshop

Just picked up and started playing Dropoff.    Kind of a cool mix of superbreakout meets bejeweled.   A little addictive, but I'm finding it fairly difficult.   It's pretty fun to put on for a few minutes and play a quick game.

SoulflySolid

IMG

Played through Cyber Core. The last stage was tough with all the super fast enemies.

geise

Nice on the Cyber Core clear!  Post a High Score!  I tried to sit down this weekend thinking I'd have all this time for high score runs.  However life always seems to get in the way.  I did manage some plays of New Adventure Island, Deep Blue, and Side Arms.  All shit scores but I will post them anyways.

seieienbu

I beat Darkwing Duck a few days ago and took a picture of the ending for the 1-year full-library completion thread only to find that it had already been beaten.  I have no idea why I thought that it was still fair game but oh well.  This's the only time I've played through a game that was already complete; however, I started two other games (Neutopia 1 and then 2) only to find them beaten before I could finish them.

I think I'll start on Cosmic Fantasy this coming weekend and see if I can manage to get all the way to Galam before a victory is stolen from my grasp :lol:
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

geise

Be happy.  Now you never have a reason to play Darkwing Duck again.

crazydean

Quote from: seieienbu on 09/26/2016, 01:01 AMI beat Darkwing Duck a few days ago and took a picture of the ending for the 1-year full-library completion thread only to find that it had already been beaten.  I have no idea why I thought that it was still fair game but oh well.  This's the only time I've played through a game that was already complete; however, I started two other games (Neutopia 1 and then 2) only to find them beaten before I could finish them.

I think I'll start on Cosmic Fantasy this coming weekend and see if I can manage to get all the way to Galam before a victory is stolen from my grasp :lol:
You probably just assumed that no on has played DD this year. Much less, cleared it.