RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airzonkrulz

Thanksgiving eve - spent 1+ hours playing Air Zonk (US HuCard) - I am able to get to Stage 5 Land of Drool pretty easily (perhaps lose 1 life in the first 4 stages) - but have a difficult time with that level (lose all remaining 4 or 5 lives - LOL!!!) - still trying to figure out the most optimized "friends/stage" list -- It is a great game to play thou - even after all these years -- such a classic design - best wishes - ron

martinine

Air Zonk is a masterpiece!

I played Galaga 90 for about an hour today. My face hurts from smiling the whole time. So classic, and I really get nostalgic for 80s arcades when I play this game.
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

XtoF

Today I played Parodius Da! on my PcEngine GT during my transit (subway)  :D
I'm eagerly waiting the back trip to home  :wink:

esteban

Quote from: XtoF on 12/02/2016, 05:15 AMToday I played Parodius Da! on my PcEngine GT during my transit (subway)  :D
OK, that is awesome. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

GoldenWheels

Quote from: martinine on 11/30/2016, 10:53 PMAir Zonk is a masterpiece!

I played Galaga 90 for about an hour today. My face hurts from smiling the whole time. So classic, and I really get nostalgic for 80s arcades when I play this game.
Have you played the PC Engine Space Invaders? The remix/updated/whatever-they-call-it mode is a blast.

TheClash603

Quote from: esteban on 12/02/2016, 05:29 AM
Quote from: XtoF on 12/02/2016, 05:15 AMToday I played Parodius Da! on my PcEngine GT during my transit (subway)  :D
I go to NYC a few times a year and I have yet to see Esteban on the subway with his Turbo Express, it is a dream of mine actually.

Magister

This topic is kind of interesting.  Looking at the very first page and seeing the very first post and only post from the creator of the topic back in 2008 is surprising.  He/she only made this one post/topic and it seems to be one of the most popular and active ones on here.
This Space For Rent.

esteban

Quote from: Magister on 12/04/2016, 11:04 PMThis topic is kind of interesting.  Looking at the very first page and seeing the very first post and only post from the creator of the topic back in 2008 is surprising.  He/she only made this one post/topic and it seems to be one of the most popular and active ones on here.
Ha! I didn't realize that was the case with this thread.

There have been many threads like this over the years, but the one that gets "traction" is the luck of the draw.

Now I am going to look at the beginning of this thread to see it's origins. 

:)

Quote from: TheClash603 on 12/03/2016, 12:54 PM
Quote from: esteban on 12/02/2016, 05:29 AM
I go to NYC a few times a year and I have yet to see Esteban on the subway with his Turbo Express, it is a dream of mine actually.
Ha! I'll have to invest in some new rechargeable batteries and start lugging my TE around on my commute.

Bamilolly

Playing Rondo of Blood.........I just got a PC engine Turbo Duo R. Great game. Gets really hard after chapter 3!
Its over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Galder

Silent debuggers - cool art but hard and confusing as heck.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Galder on 12/07/2016, 11:50 AMSilent debuggers - cool art but hard and confusing as heck.
Once you find out how to play it it becomes super easy.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Mas

Last night my sd card came to for the everdrive. I cannot wait to play magical chase and some great pc engine shooters. Any recommendations for a good vertical shmups? So far I've played and owned in the past
Blazing lasers
R type
Super star soldier
Galaga 88
So those I don't want to start off. I want some really good shmup to really show what I've missed in the 90's or these days now can't afford lol

esteban

Quote from: Mas on 12/09/2016, 06:11 AMLast night my sd card came to for the everdrive. I cannot wait to play magical chase and some great pc engine shooters. Any recommendations for a good vertical shmups? So far I've played and owned in the past
Blazing lasers
R type
Super star soldier
Galaga 88
So those I don't want to start off. I want some really good shmup to really show what I've missed in the 90's or these days now can't afford lol
Soldier Blade
Aero Blasters
Dragon Spirit & Saber

https://archives.tg-16.com/complete_list_of_tg16_pce_shooters.htm

deubeul

Raiden, Kyukyoku Tiger.
Override and Cyber Core too, they're underestimated IMO.

GoldenWheels

Twin Bee...game is very fun but damn do I lose a lot of lives juggling the bells to get the power up I want. I am....not good a this game. Strategy is to get the triple shot and then just stay alive!

seieienbu

Finished the first two cases in the first Sherlock Holmes CD game.  I've owned it for a long while but only now got around to playing it for the beat-all-turbo-games thread.  The game seems easy enough:  I  have a notepad file open and I copy down every name and place in the intro, talk to Lestrade and do  that again.  Then I go to every person/place, then to everyone they mention.  Then I go to trial.  I optimized the first case and got the lowest score possible.  It took me 3 tries to get it all figured out for the lowest possible score.  For the second case I actually had to read the paper.

Honestly, it's an interesting game but I feel like I'm just solving by exhaustion without really thinking my way through.  I doubt I'll ever go back and play it again after I finish this playthrough but it's still a neat spectacle particularly when you consider the offerings on the Genesis and SNES at the time.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

airzonkrulz

Got in 3 hours of Gunhed this weekend - about 2 hours of caravan play (split 25% 2 minute and 75% 5 minute stages) + 1 hour of full gameplay - these are 2 of my most treasured HuCards - so much gameplay value for me - Best wishes - Ron

Mas

So since I have the everdrive out of all the games I've got I still manage to just play legendary axe. I now want to beat the game. No cheats or savestates just go thru the game like it was 1989.

esteban

Quote from: Mas on 12/14/2016, 05:34 PMSo since I have the everdrive out of all the games I've got I still manage to just play legendary axe. I now want to beat the game. No cheats or savestates just go thru the game like it was 1989.
I still like this game, despite playing it *way* too much back in the day.

Beating this game felt like a genuine accomplishment (there are a few tricky parts).

I forget the easiest path through the "maze" at the end, for example...

And some of the music tracks are my favorites (of all time). Even the "lesser" tracks are still solid.

PukeSter

Esty, I always remember to go down the pits at the rooms E, P, Q

E for exit
P for Punjabi
Q for quest

Some rooms have pits that lead to items but I try not to risk my pattern

airzonkrulz

Spent 1 hour today playing  Ordyne - I had forgotten many of the level designs/enemies for this game - An hour well spent - Ron

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/15/2016, 12:00 AMEsty, I always remember to go down the pits at the rooms E, P, Q

E for exit
P for Punjabi
Q for quest

Some rooms have pits that lead to items but I try not to risk my pattern
Ha! I wonder if your route is the same as the route I usually take....

Warbucks

Playing some Soldier Blade.. Finally.. took me a while to get it, now I see what all the fuss is about.

What do you all think is better Blazing Lazers or Soldier Blade?

Gypsy

NE146

A little unfair since Blazing Lazers predates it as far as I could remember... and we know the shmup genre usually evolved from itself. :)

NecroPhile

They're both great, but Soldier Blade is a hard shewty to beat.  It's just about perfect.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Bloufo

Just regular old Bonk's Adventure.

Been playing it on my TE. Started it up again today, but the damn portable has all of a sudden lost all sound.

esteban

Quote from: Bloufo on 12/17/2016, 01:58 AMJust regular old Bonk's Adventure.

Been playing it on my TE. Started it up again today, but the damn portable has all of a sudden lost all sound.
Yeah, I am worried about the state of my TE.... I HAVEN'T PLAYED IT IN A LONG TIME...

Bloufo

Quote from: esteban on 12/17/2016, 06:10 AM

Yeah, I am worried about the state of my TE.... I HAVEN'T PLAYED IT IN A LONG TIME...
I'm now using a pair of speakers to get sound out of it.

It's not exactly "portable" now :P , more like a stopgap measure until it gets repaired.

IMG

esteban

Quote from: Bloufo on 12/18/2016, 04:05 AM
Quote from: esteban on 12/17/2016, 06:10 AM

I'm now using a pair of speakers to get sound out of it.

It's not exactly "portable" now :P , more like a stopgap measure until it gets repaired.
IMG
I would like to think that you are simply heeding the advice from this Public Service Announcement (PSA)...

IMG

Needless to say, the best way to experience TurboExpress is when the floor is trembling and your neighbors are yelling "SimEarthquake!"

GoldenWheels

Peach Boy Katsugeki

Does anyone have any tips etc on this? It seems to require some grinding here and there to buy the better weapons etc and I'd love to just save some time by knowing which ones to get. Or if I need to actually do anything in the towns.

It appears there is some sort of trivia game or something in some of the huts but I guess the questions or whatever are randomized so I assume there is no cheat sheet to these.

Gypsy

SoulflySolid

Played Last Alert this morning. I love the cheesy localization.

Mathius

Joshua Turbo sent me copies of L-Dis and Cosmic Fantasy 1 for Christmas this year. Haven't spent much time with CF but L-Dis is pretty freakin' cool. The graphics are nice and colorful in "typical" PCE style making it perfect for these dreary winter days.

EmperorIng

My older bro knows me well, and got me a swell gift for Christmas:

IMG

Extra money for the USA version, but worth it for that heart-rending dialog.

It's shocking how much better this game is than Last Alert, and Bloody Wolf is essentially a Mercs clone itself! (Does that make Last Alert a clone of a clone?)

Data East has a number of respectable clones under its belt though (Midnight Resistance and Vapor Trail come to mind).

Mathius

I should break out my copy of Bloody Wolf. It's been years since I've played it.

NightWolve

Quote from: EmperorIng on 12/26/2016, 08:23 PMMy older bro knows me well, and got me a swell gift for Christmas:

IMG

Extra money for the USA version, but worth it for that heart-rending dialog.

It's shocking how much better this game is than Last Alert, and Bloody Wolf is essentially a Mercs clone itself! (Does that make Last Alert a clone of a clone?)

Data East has a number of respectable clones under its belt though (Midnight Resistance and Vapor Trail come to mind).
Yeah, one of the best games for the action military genre in that era. I played it many, many times. I won it with a TurboGrafx-16 system, but it was broken by the TurboExpress I later bought... A new TurboExpress will have very tight contact pins, and the first HuCard you insert will take more force than usual (at least, that was my experience) - Bloody Wolf was the first game I wanted to play on it, and it wound up breaking it sadly... Something to consider if you manage to find a new one, use a shitty HuCard to slightly wear out the brass contact pins upon first use.

crazydean

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/27/2016, 12:11 AMYeah, one of the best games for the action military genre in that era. I played it many, many times. I won it with a TurboGrafx-16 system, but it was broken by the TurboExpress I later bought... A new TurboExpress will have very tight contact pins, and the first HuCard you insert will take more force than usual (at least, that was my experience) - Bloody Wolf was the first game I wanted to play on it, and it wound up breaking it sadly... Something to consider if you manage to find a new one, use a shitty HuCard to slightly wear out the brass contact pins upon first use.
That's a pretty crazy experience. Sorry to hear about your poor Huey.

PukeSter

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 12/22/2016, 10:41 AMPeach Boy Katsugeki

Does anyone have any tips etc on this? It seems to require some grinding here and there to buy the better weapons etc and I'd love to just save some time by knowing which ones to get. Or if I need to actually do anything in the towns.

It appears there is some sort of trivia game or something in some of the huts but I guess the questions or whatever are randomized so I assume there is no cheat sheet to these.
Towns don't have side quests as far as I know.

The snow level and volcano levels are good grinding spots. The 2nd level with the bunnies is a great early spot.

Best armor is more important than the best sword.

The weapons and armor in stores don't upgrade until you buy something, so have no worry buying.

Try and play around with the pause menu options. One option gives you invincibility during boss fights, almost critical for the last boss

Mini games are useless but fun. You could also try easy mode which prevents you from falling down puts

PM sunteam_paul, he is a big fan of the game and knows a lot more than I do.

GoldenWheels

Quote from: guest on 12/27/2016, 09:26 PMTowns don't have side quests as far as I know.

The snow level and volcano levels are good grinding spots. The 2nd level with the bunnies is a great early spot.

The weapons and armor in stores don't upgrade until you buy something, so have no worry buying.

Try and play around with the pause menu options. One option gives you invincibility during boss fights, almost critical for the last boss

Mini games are useless but fun. You could also try easy mode which prevents you from falling down puts

Thank you! That alone will save me a lot of time and confusion.

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 12/26/2016, 07:43 PMJoshua Turbo sent me copies of L-Dis and Cosmic Fantasy 1 for Christmas this year. Haven't spent much time with CF but L-Dis is pretty freakin' cool. The graphics are nice and colorful in "typical" PCE style making it perfect for these dreary winter days.
L-Dis was a nice surprise (I wasn't expecting much from it years ago...)

I love thinking about the person who made the cover art for that game! I wish we could see some "behind the scenes" photos of the process... I feel this way about all the "dioramas/miniatures" used in artwork. Like...Hany in the Sky/on the Road.

gheebee

As you might imagine, New Adventure Island! Sadly something weird happened this time around, I was approaching the level 2 boss on my first game when the game went black and white, tiled the image in a somewhat distorted 2x2 grid, froze, and played a continuous tone. Cleaned the card a bit and put it back in and it didn't happen again in the hour or so I played after, but this has me worried now since the card really wasn't dirty when I started playing. Hopefully this was just a one-off thing...

esteban

Quote from: gheebee on 12/30/2016, 08:28 PMAs you might imagine, New Adventure Island! Sadly something weird happened this time around, I was approaching the level 2 boss on my first game when the game went black and white, tiled the image in a somewhat distorted 2x2 grid, froze, and played a continuous tone. Cleaned the card a bit and put it back in and it didn't happen again in the hour or so I played after, but this has me worried now since the card really wasn't dirty when I started playing. Hopefully this was just a one-off thing...
That sucks. I don't want to give you false hopes, but I think I have, very rarely experienced this 1-2 times.

The problem is we are talking 20+ years ago, and I feel the game always froze very quickly, early (title screen) and *maybe* within first few moment of playing a level.

It's hard to differentiate my NES VS. NEC experiences...

I can't remember ever playing far into a game (as you did, with NAI) and *then* having the game freeze... I would remember that.

GoldenWheels

Quote from: guest on 12/27/2016, 09:26 PMTowns don't have side quests as far as I know.

Lukester, PCenginebible says this game has battery back up....do I need to manually save? And if it's manual, where is the save option? Peach Boy doesn't appear to save just upon completing levels.

PukeSter

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 12/31/2016, 09:56 AMLukester, PCenginebible says this game has battery back up....do I need to manually save? And if it's manual, where is the save option? Peach Boy doesn't appear to save just upon completing levels.
Pretty sure you manually save at the statues.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: esteban on 12/28/2016, 09:50 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 12/26/2016, 07:43 PMJoshua Turbo sent me copies of L-Dis and Cosmic Fantasy 1 for Christmas this year. Haven't spent much time with CF but L-Dis is pretty freakin' cool. The graphics are nice and colorful in "typical" PCE style making it perfect for these dreary winter days.

I love thinking about the person who made the cover art for that game! I wish we could see some "behind the scenes" photos of the process... I feel this way about all the "dioramas/miniatures" used in artwork. Like...Hany in the Sky/on the Road.

I remember seeing a blog with a post where they identified every toy used for the diorama that is the cover art for Vic Tokai's Zombie Nation. They had a very high res picture of it too. I'll see if I can dig that up.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

blueraven

I was going to play some vigilante later

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/03/2017, 08:01 PM
Quote from: esteban on 12/28/2016, 09:50 AM

I remember seeing a blog with a post where they identified every toy used for the diorama that is the cover art for Vic Tokai's Zombie Nation. They had a very high res picture of it too. I'll see if I can dig that up.
Yes, please. :)

GoldenWheels

Quote from: guest on 01/03/2017, 06:01 PM
Quote from: GoldenWheels on 12/31/2016, 09:56 AMLukester, PCenginebible says this game has battery back up....do I need to manually save? And if it's manual, where is the save option? Peach Boy doesn't appear to save just upon completing levels.
Pretty sure you manually save at the statues.
thanks will give it a shot!

airzonkrulz

I have been having a lot of fun playing both of the 5 minute caravan levels for Soldier Blade and Gunhed - right amount of tension/fun/timing for quick pick up and play sessions - Best wishes - Ron