PC Engine Game Reviews & Manuals

Started by lkermel, 06/15/2009, 01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperPlay

Hi lkermel

If you want a hand with manual scanning let me know and I will help out.

Love videogameden by the way :-)

Cheers

Lee.

lkermel

@Paul
I love the section  Omake you added to your site ! I'll try to look for the manual this week end and will let you know if I find something...

@SuperPlay
Thanks mate ! I always really appreciate feedback about the site, it's often difficult to figure out if all the work we put into these sites is appreciated or not, so thanks a lot :)
Thanks for your offer too - scanning is actually not really an issue for me (I've been scanning my games for years and I have Gigs of data on my drive already), it's formatting the whole thing and updating the pages that takes time. This is why I've decided to do a couple of games a week - at this rate it'll probably take me 10 years, but I have zillions of other projects on the side, and I can only work on the site on Sundays. A step at the time is better than not steps at all though ;)

Ceti Alpha

Great updates, Ikermel! Looks good! You must be doing some double checking before posting. lol :)
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

lkermel

More updates and manuals:

Beball - PC Engine
PC Genjin 2 - PC Engine
PC Genjin 3 - PC Engine

@ceti alpha
He he he :) - I now try to triple check everything I post on the site (this is why I've been going through so many updates recently, to fix up some of my old reviews which are full of spelling mistakes - as you know, English is not my native language). But even now,  things sometimes fall through the cracks - but again, thank you so much for your help mate !! :)

lkermel

Jesse813

Awesome Site lkermel :) its where i read a lots of PCE and SFC reviews :)

lkermel

Thanks a lot Jesse, I'm glad you like the site  :D
About SFC games, I've been concentrating on FC reviews recently (and updating my old PCE tests), but I have a bunch of them coming in the (near) future, as well as more PCE games. I need more time, mooooore tiiiiiime !!!

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Jesse813 on 04/19/2011, 02:02 PMAwesome Site lkermel :) its where i read a lots of PCE and SFC reviews :)
Agreed. I'm always getting caught up in reviews whenever I visit the site. :mrgreen:
IMG

lkermel

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: lkermel on 05/25/2011, 12:39 PMUpdate and manual:

Snatcher - PC Engine
Nice! I can't believe I haven't picked this one up, being such a fan of Blade Runner.
IMG

lkermel

New update and manual:

Star Parodia - PC Engine

By the way, a few week ago I reviewed Cocoron for the Famicom and added scans of the unreleased PC Engine port:

Cocoron - Famicom

Yo !

SuperPlay

Thanks again for the great work :-)

lkermel

lkermel

Ceti Alpha

Sweet! I've been away from your site and now there's some good reading to be had. :D
IMG

lkermel

lkermel

lkermel

nat

Quote from: lkermel on 12/06/2011, 01:15 PMMore updates and manuals:

Space Harrier - PC Engine
Your page on Space Harrier says it was programmed by DEMPA. Where did you get this information? DEMPA isn't credited on the title screen or in the manual (which doesn't mean a great deal, considering Compile is responsible for a great many games they weren't credited for), and I've beat the game many times and I don't recall seeing them credited in the credit scroll, either, but maybe I just missed it.

Anyway, I was always under the impression NEC Avenue handled the port. If you have information to the contrary, I'd love to see it. :)

Tatsujin

DEMPA was responsible for the x86k version. never heard that they did also the pce port. but one thing they have in common at least, both lacking the checkerboard playfield.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

lkermel

QuoteYour page on Space Harrier says it was programmed by DEMPA. Where did you get this information? DEMPA isn't credited on the title screen or in the manual (which doesn't mean a great deal, considering Compile is responsible for a great many games they weren't credited for), and I've beat the game many times and I don't recall seeing them credited in the credit scroll, either, but maybe I just missed it.
Anyway, I was always under the impression NEC Avenue handled the port. If you have information to the contrary, I'd love to see it.
I think they are mentioned in the credit scroll at the end of the game if I remember well... I'll dig out and post a snapshot this evening :)

lkermel

IMG

Here it is. That's a snapshot I took from the Japanese version's end credits. I was also really surprised the first time I saw Dempa in there. I've always assumed that NEC Avenue programmed the port. And yet, Dempa handled so many other ports of Space Harrier, so it sorts of makes sense...

nat

Wow.

I certainly never noticed this. I wonder if the US version is lacking that credit (I only own the US version, not the Japanese version). I wonder if they did the other SuperScaler games as well? Afterburner II, Outrun?

lkermel

That's a good point and I also wonder if the US version has different end credits...
I've never finished Afterburner II and Outrun, maybe I can add them to my to-do list (as well as Thunder Blade). However, both games have 'reprogrammed by NEC Avenue' mentioned on their front cover though, so I have the feeling they were programmed by NEC avenue, but who knows...

esteban

Quote from: lkermel on 12/14/2011, 01:52 PMThat's a good point and I also wonder if the US version has different end credits...
I've never finished Afterburner II and Outrun, maybe I can add them to my to-do list (as well as Thunder Blade). However, both games have 'reprogrammed by NEC Avenue' mentioned on their front cover though, so I have the feeling they were programmed by NEC avenue, but who knows...
I love stuff like this—hopefully we'll be able to figure this out...

;)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

nat

I played through U.S. Space Harrier last night to find out. Sure enough, it lists Dempa. I must have always missed it. Weird.

lkermel

SuperPlay

lkermel

Thanks Superplay :)

Also, I've recently purchased a lot of TurboGrafx-16 manuals and I'll upload them soon to the site, I'll keep you all posted !!!!

nat

Quote from: lkermel on 12/14/2011, 01:52 PMThat's a good point and I also wonder if the US version has different end credits...
Just found out Afterburner II was done by Bits Laboratory.

They also did Fantasy Zone, both the Altered Beast releases, and Gain Ground SX. I guess they liked doing SEGA ports.

Among the other, non-SEGA ports they did on the system: all 3 original Darius games (not Darius 2), Toilet Kids, Veigues Tactical Gladiator, Hellfire S, Hi-Leg Fantasy, Bubble Bobble 2: Rainbow Islands, Sidearms Special, Space Invaders CD, CD Mahjong, and Splash Lake.

Games they cooperated on: Download, Son Son II, Ai Cho Aniki, and some quiz and gambling games.

esteban

Quote from: nat on 02/19/2012, 03:01 PM
Just found out Afterburner II was done by Bits Laboratory.

They also did Fantasy Zone, both the Altered Beast releases, and Gain Ground SX. I guess they liked doing SEGA ports.

Among the other, non-SEGA ports they did on the system: all 3 original Darius games (not Darius 2), Toilet Kids, Veigues Tactical Gladiator, Hellfire S, Hi-Leg Fantasy, Bubble Bobble 2: Rainbow Islands, Sidearms Special, Space Invaders CD, CD Mahjong, and Splash Lake.

Games they cooperated on: Download, Son Son II, Ai Cho Aniki, and some quiz and gambling games.
Kool info, nat. May I ask the source of info? Ending credits/online resources/interviews/etc. Thanks in advance IMG

nat

Afterburner II and Darius (Plus) say right in the manual (look at the credit pages), and was corroborated by some online resource that I can't find now.

That same resource is where I dug up the others, as well. It was a special page on the works of BITS Laboratory/Laboratories.

I would imagine at least some, if not all, of these games probably also make mention of this in the ending credits.

EDIT: Found it. Interestingly enough, this page also lists Bubble Bobble 3: Parasol Stars as another title they worked on.

esteban

Quote from: nat on 02/22/2012, 10:18 PMAfterburner II and Darius (Plus) say right in the manual (look at the credit pages), and was corroborated by some online resource that I can't find now.

That same resource is where I dug up the others, as well. It was a special page on the works of BITS Laboratory/Laboratories.

I would imagine at least some, if not all, of these games probably also make mention of this in the ending credits.

EDIT: Found it. Interestingly enough, this page also lists Bubble Bobble 3: Parasol Stars as another title they worked on.
Word up, thanks for the scoop, nat!  IMG

lkermel

As in interesting coincidence, I've just finished updating Darius Plus and Super Darius's reviews, and yes, I confirm that the end credits do mention Bits Lab :)

More updates and manuals:

Darius Plus - PC Engine
Super Darius - PC Engine

Yo !

lkermel

lkermel

lkermel

New review and manual:

Battle Lode Runner - PC Engine

Also added American Turbografx-16 manuals for Deep Blue, Galaga'88, Gunhed, PC Genjin, Space Harrier & Tiger Road  :D

_Paul

lkermel

SuperPlay

Thanks again for your work :-)

lkermel

lkermel

Thanks Bernie Lindell for supplying the Turbografx-16 manuals for Aero Blasters, Airzonk, Alien Crush, Bomberman, Bonk's Revenge, Bonk's Big Adventure, Devil's Crush, Dragon's Curse, Jackie Chan, Neutopia, Neutopia 2, RType, Shockman & Veigues Tactical Gladiator !!! Yo !

lkermel

Thanks Bernie Lindell for supplying more Turbografx-16 manuals !!! Dungeon Master, Forgotten Worlds, Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder and Monster Lair !!!

Ceti Alpha

I've been away for a while, but glad to see the your site is still rockin'! The reviews look great! :D
IMG

lkermel

You bet ! I've been going really slowly though (life has been keeping me really busy), but I still upload new game reviews and manuals, slowly, one at the time :)

I didn't have time to work on a new review this week... so instead I uploaded more Japanese PC Engine manuals - Afterburner II, Aoi Blink, Atomic Robo Kid, Ballistix, Bloody Wolf, The Kung Fu and Ordyne !

esteban

Quote from: ceti alpha on 09/08/2012, 12:41 AMI've been away for a while, but glad to see the your site is still rockin'! The reviews look great! :D
ceti alpha, WHERE ARE YOU?

Say something, anything, in one of the threads.

THAT IS ALL.

:)

lkermel

lkermel

Thanks Bernie Lindell for supplying more Turbografx-16 manuals !!! Bloody Wolf, Cadash, Cratermaze and Ordyne !

lkermel

New update and manual:

Circus Lido - PC Engine

I've also added some information about the medal/key-chain that was given away to the first 500 players who managed to complete the game. Personally, I've never seen one of those, they are probably still in a box somewhere considering how poorly the game sold back in 1991 (I'm assuming...)

JoshTurboTrollX

Dude, I love the site.  I just found another place to read up on opinions and information on some of the best games EVAR!!

Thanks for this!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!