Your Daily Dose of Gaming.

Started by Ninja Spirit, 07/15/2005, 01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keranu

Cool story. Is your TE modded? I ask because I am curious how you played Shinobi on it.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Ninja Spirit

Just got Fire Emblem for Famicom in the wild a couple hours ago. Can't wait to play it. I'm and hour and a half away from home in Virginia Beach as I type this post.

Keranu

That must be a very exciting feeling :) .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

TR0N

Been playing, Capcom Classic Collection as of late.

Since i'd pick up a saturn ps2 pad it's been great for 2d gaming  8)

Btw i can wait for ccc vol2 in the fall  =P~
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

rolins

A few days ago I bought Resident Evil: Code Veronica X for the PS2. I got it for $10.23 brandnew at Fry's Electronics. I wasn't suppose to spend any money since I had already forked over half my paycheck on games this month.

After staring at the game for 5 minutes, I decided to buy it. I thought to myself I'd be kicking myself in the ass later if didn't. It so cheap. I'm glad I did because RECVX is quite fun to play.

The knife is damn powerful in this game, not powerful as a shotgun, but if used correctly you can literatlly put down one zombie in three swings. You can't use the knife expoit as in RE3, instead use the down slash to do mulitple hits in one swing leading to tons damage.

I'm halfway thru the game and up to now I've survived with only my knife, seriously. I'm kinda obessed knifing every zombie to death. Slash the legs, zombie on floor, rake the back twice w/ knife for mulit-hits.

TR0N

Quote from: "rolins"A few days ago I bought Resident Evil: Code Veronica X for the PS2. I got it for $10.23 brandnew at Fry's Electronics. I wasn't suppose to spend any money since I had already forked over half my paycheck on games this month.

After staring at the game for 5 minutes, I decided to buy it. I thought to myself I'd be kicking myself in the ass later if didn't. It so cheap. I'm glad I did because RECVX is quite fun to play.

The knife is damn powerful in this game, not powerful as a shotgun, but if used correctly you can literatlly put down one zombie in three swings. You can't use the knife expoit as in RE3, instead use the down slash to do mulitple hits in one swing leading to tons damage.

I'm halfway thru the game and up to now I've survived with only my knife, seriously. I'm kinda obessed knifing every zombie to death. Slash the legs, zombie on floor, rake the back twice w/ knife for mulit-hits.
That's the key to saving ammo in recv.

Get use to useing the knife and you should be set.
IMG

TR0N

Bump!

PS2
La Pucelle Tactics

Stuck on the third chapter damn hippos  :evil:
IMG

Digi.k

oh La Pucelle is a nice game.. but you need to spend hours just to level up your characters... I think chapter 4 was pretty hard.

I just sold my PS2 recently.. most of this generation's games just don't do anything for me..  

I'm only playing the retro stuff and Nintendo DS..

Animal Crossing and Dr Kawashima's brain training  :lol:

TR0N

Quote from: "Digi.k"oh La Pucelle is a nice game.. but you need to spend hours just to level up your characters... I think chapter 4 was pretty hard.
So i've notice and it helps if can direct the "dark energy" in the right path as well.

Just for it's chain reaction.

I'd pass the.. third chapter a while ago and your right 4 is hard  :shock:

Btw to bad you sold your, PS2 i found out Disgaea 2 comes out in the U.S this augs.
IMG

rolins

NEC PC-88 and MSX2:
Psy-O-Blade

For the past 4 days I locked myself away in my room, and played both versions of Psy-O-Blade on the PC-88 and MSX2 at the same time. I haven't finished the game yet, hell I don't even think I'm halfway thru it. All I know is I've finally escape the prison and I'm progessing thru the story plot. It's time to take a breather I guess.

I want to search for some Psy-O-Blade info on the web, but most links lead to japanese webpages and the google translator stinks. What's a really good webpage for translating japanese?

GohanX

Well, I was just playing the Gameboy Color version of R-Type on my old GBA.  I used to LOVE this game...before I got a TurboExpress.  Now it's just funny.

Sadly, I died 3 times in the first stage of the GB version, while I can get to at least stage 5 without dying in TG16 R-Type.  That's just wrong.

Seldane

Quote from: "rolins"I want to search for some Psy-O-Blade info on the web, but most links lead to japanese webpages and the google translator stinks. What's a really good webpage for translating japanese?

www.systranet.com

I'm playing Ys Book I & II again right now. It is entertaining (of course, it is Ys!), but much too easy, and I don't like the music.  :)
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

PCEngineHell

Chronicles or Riddick for pc. I have been playing that and Bet on Soldier alot these past few days. Since I am on the subject I want to bitch for a min or two.
The game:
Tom (I suck ass) Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter for pc.
Why?
1. You walk at grannys pace,actually if granny had  a walker she would still outpace you,you move that slow.

2.When you run,you still move slow,like your trying to jog in place slow. Like you dont take the threat of being sprayed with semi-automatic bullets as being life or death. You run like you just Big Mac'd and supersized your meal at McDonalds 15 times in 1 day,or like your on bloody stumps. The point is,the run key really doesn't work,because your really not running.

3. When you "run" you can't shoot. This is retarded. Yes I totally agree that you can't aim well while in a run,but you can damn well spray some bullets and hope for the best. Nope,in this game they got you running away like a little scared bitch,even worse since you dont really run,its more like crawling away like  a scared little bitch.

Imagine what would have happened if Bill Rizer or Lance Bean had to fucking run away from the Red Falcon because they couldn't run and shoot?

What would have happened to Ralph and Clark? ? ?/ikarishot11kx.png

I mean crap,ABBA wouldn't even have helped you if that was the case. I know what your gonna say,Ralph and Clark did not run,but this I tell you,remember how slow Ralph and Clark moved in waist high water? You were still able to dodge bullets and gernades correct?

That pace is still worlds faster then when you "run" in Ghost Recon. If Ralph and Clark were real,and were dropped into the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter storyline,crashed their plane there,ect...the game would be beaten in like 10 mins,cause Ralph and Clark are so damn bad ass,with only a machine gun and some gernades,maybe a tank or two.

Sarge from Quake 3 you ask???? He'd fucking smoke Mexico City into nothing,running and shooting the whole time. Sam,he would serious bomb the city into nothing,then as the terrorist run,he would smoke them with his chaingun. This is a good example of how fucking weak your character is in Ghost Recon, even Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell kicks more ass and moves faster,even when he is in crawl mode.

4. You die way way too easy. It felt like I was a fragile china doll. Thats like saying all that gear your character wears,millions of dollars spent on high tech crap,its all worthless,because it can't stop like 4 fucking bullets.
I would have thought that the fine folks at Ubisoft and Tom Clancy himself knew that high tech bullet proof vest and head gear could stop more then 4 bullets,hell any bullets. Your armor doesn't stop shit. Each time your shot your hurt. Bet On Soldier walks all over this game,and in Bet on Soldier,your lucky if you got some trashcan lid for armor.

5. Mexico City. Its looks better in the game then in real life. They left out alot of the smog and trash.

/nastycity22ul.jpg

I thought Ageia would help make the enviroments more realistic like pictured above.......

So nasty young and the old alike can't breath./old8wo.jpg
/young8gu.jpg

6. Fucking clown shoes Tom,all your games are fucking clown shoes.

/clownshoes5kh.jpg

Ahh enough ranting now. I guess that is my kinda sorta review for Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter for pc.

TR0N

PS2
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology

Kind of sucks they just use the psx version of alpha 3 still a solid collection.
IMG

Digi.k

animal crossing: Wild World

I just can't stop playing this now and even more hooked since I learned about a few new things...

love my new DS lite  :oops:

Seldane

I got Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time NDS for my birthday (been a long time since I got something this nice on a birthday), and I like it. Very fun gameplay but the story suffers in every department. But really, what to expect? It's a Mario RPG.  :roll:

Played it for like four hours today.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

Digi.k

hope ya had a happy birthday ^__^

thewestexit

I just finished Grandia for the Saturn... what a great RPG.  I first played through it when it came out (I bought it in Dec. '97) and I decided to play through it again since I remembered absolutely nothing about it.  So if you play an RPG through once, come back to it again about 10 years later and it will seem like an all new game =)

I think I'll stick with Game Arts and play through Lunar MPEG version next...
////////////////////////////////////////////////
James Wilson
www.thewestexit.com
The Science of Building Wealth
////////////////////////////////////////////////

Digi.k

and also try Lunar Eternal blue as well ^__^

It seems like they had a much smaller budget but the voice acting is top notch later on in the story. plus theres a great epilogue at the end to play through.

Ninja Spirit

I am back from the PCEFX dead.

YouTube has completely diverted me from all the message boards I post at.

Now I can make movies off emulators, particularly arcade and Famicom.

Been playing original Sega CD Lunar SS.

TR0N

NeoGeo
Top Hunter
Shock Troopers
IMG

Tatsujin

not that much today, but i will be supposed to buy the new ridge racers 2 on the way home ;)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Chakan

I've been playing Disgaea 2 the most recently. All of the small improvements add to a great experience. It's weird to move on to this game where you level insanely fast after spending an entire year playing FFXI and almost nothing else. >.>

Also recently spun: Dragon Quest VIII (put aside for Disgaea 2), Shinobi III.

CrackTiger

This morning I finally finished Ys I & II Eternal for PS2.

I wasn't really in an Ys mood while playing them, but I was still impressed. I hate playing games at a PC, so this was my only way to get through them.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

rolins

I've been occupied by these for the past two weeks.

PC-9821:
Policenauts (it's miracle that I actually found an ISO)

FM-Towns:
Rayxanber
Raiden Densetsu
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

PC-8801 + MSX:
Psy-O-Blade (I'm getting close to completing this game)

Tatsujin

@rolins: do you own all the dedicated hardwares? :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

rolins

Quote from: "Tatsujin"@rolins: do you own all the dedicated hardwares? :D

Only in my wet dreams. With the exception of the MSX (I own a few MSX systems btw), I don't have a PC-88, PC-98, or FM-Towns computer. Two months ago I very close to getting my hands on a FM-Towns Marty II, but around that time I went into financial debt. So had to forget about buying one. Still, as long as I can play the games thru an emulator I'm satisfied.

Keranu

Hey Rolings didn't you already list the PC-98 version of Policenauts on here before? :D
IMG

rolins

Nope, I listed Policenauts under Sega Saturn last time.

Ninja Spirit

Been playing alot of PC Engine Ninja Warriors, my skill is far from the best but getting better. My goal is to learn to get past all the stages without getting hit by projectiles and swords and never show a single streak of endoskeleton.

Digi.k

Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"Been playing alot of PC Engine Ninja Warriors, my skill is far from the best but getting better. My goal is to learn to get past all the stages without getting hit by projectiles and swords and never show a single streak of endoskeleton.

you been watching that guy's YouTube videos too much  :shock:  :D

Ninja Spirit

Quote from: "Digi.k"
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"Been playing alot of PC Engine Ninja Warriors, my skill is far from the best but getting better. My goal is to learn to get past all the stages without getting hit by projectiles and swords and never show a single streak of endoskeleton.

you been watching that guy's YouTube videos too much  :shock:  :D

Ack! You got me..but still, that GMIX6809 is a beast, the way he controls all the space around him and preventing overcrowding is off the chain!

However if I'm gonna put some footage out after I beat the game, I'm gonna do things differently, use Ninja instead of Kunoichi. I'll just make a "VGMV" (Video Game Music Video as opposed to AMV's like all those ones made out of the same FMV sequences from like Final Fantasy 7 to X-2) with my own music on it.

rolins

PC-8801:
Psy-O-Blade - finally beat it after 4 months of trial and error. Great game, love it to death.

I put up some Psy-O-Blade movies on youtube, if anyone is interested. The movies were bright and clear when I made them. But when I uploaded them on youtube, they appear darker than usual. Is that normal?
Psy-O-Blade Intro
Psy-O-Blade Opening

I've been pretty high on games for FM-Towns since yesterday. I really want one of these systems, especially for the handful of great shooters its got.

FM-Towns:

Kyukyoku Tiger - probably the best console port yet. The graphics are close to the arcade, and as an extra you can choose between original or arrange music. The arrange track track are upbeat and some actually sound better than the original.

Tatsujin Ou - I believe this is the only console port of Tatsujin 2 that I know of and it's really a must play IMO. Graphics and music is awesome, I really gots to play the arcade version on mame to compare. I haven't gotten too far in this game but its very addictive.

TR0N

GC
Metroid Prime 2 Echos

Pick it up when i saw it on sale at Ciruit City.

Figure i'd give it a go not bad so far.
IMG

akamichi

Finally got time to play some games.  I actually beat some too! :)

Crystal Beans (SFC)
Not sure how I feel about this game.  I like Dungeon Explorer and this version seems to be a mix of DE dungeons and SFC (only?) dungeons.  This version seems to be more of a straight action game w/o the general exploring of DE.  There's a map where you just select your destination and it's off to whatever town or dungeon you select.  Basically you go into town to "unlock" the next dungeon.  I'd hardly call them puzzles since just speaking to everybody in town will unlock the next path.  Hell, probably just going into the town and leaving would be enough.

The dungeons seem pretty short.  Toward the end of the game, you have to go thru successive dungeons and fight a number of bosses.  But even during that marathon you can still exit the dungeon and go back to town... although there's no reason to.  

The music is decent.  It was nice to hear a number of the PCE tracks remade for this version.  

Out of the 15-20 or so bosses, only like 4 or 5 of them were actually tough.  The last boss wasn't that hard either.  The only reason why he was hard to beat was that you had to do a ton of damage to him.  Most other bosses died pretty quickly.

Dragon Spirit (FC)
Decent port for FC.  A bit on the easy side.  Game gives you a ton of power ups and there's not that many enemies on the screen at once.  The nice thing about this version compared to the PCE is that it has a number of enemies that the PCE ver left out.  Also the dragon has more flying animations (backing, slowing down, diving).   FC version also has the underwater stage and the opening transformation sequence which are totally missing in the PCE ver.  I'm pretty sure there's more, but I haven't played the PCE or the arcade version in a while.

Spartan X (aka Kung Fu) (FC)
Where's the PCE port!? :)
Not sure why I like this game so much.  There were better games than this even back then.  I guess it's just the game's simplicity... and the fact that you can kick the crapload out of an unlimited supply of generic goons. :)

esteban

Aki: Some folks here have suggested that Kaze Kiri = Spartan X for PCE. I personally wouldn't give Kaze Kiri that distinction, because I have much more fun with Spartan X.

Quote from: "akamichi"Finally got time to play some games.  I actually beat some too! :)

Crystal Beans (SFC)
Not sure how I feel about this game.  I like Dungeon Explorer and this version seems to be a mix of DE dungeons and SFC (only?) dungeons.  This version seems to be more of a straight action game w/o the general exploring of DE.  There's a map where you just select your destination and it's off to whatever town or dungeon you select.  Basically you go into town to "unlock" the next dungeon.  I'd hardly call them puzzles since just speaking to everybody in town will unlock the next path.  Hell, probably just going into the town and leaving would be enough.

The dungeons seem pretty short.  Toward the end of the game, you have to go thru successive dungeons and fight a number of bosses.  But even during that marathon you can still exit the dungeon and go back to town... although there's no reason to.  

The music is decent.  It was nice to hear a number of the PCE tracks remade for this version.  

Out of the 15-20 or so bosses, only like 4 or 5 of them were actually tough.  The last boss wasn't that hard either.  The only reason why he was hard to beat was that you had to do a ton of damage to him.  Most other bosses died pretty quickly.
Hey, are you interested in selling me Crystal Beans? I've wanted to play this game! Have you determined if there is a multiplayer mode in CB? :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Seldane

There is a multiplayer mode in Crystal Beans (2/3 players only). I played it with my brother once.
IMG

GUTS

Haha awesome, Steve just said Kung Fu was better than Kaze Kiri!  Finally somebody who agrees with me, Kaze Kiri is weak sauce and Kung Fu rocks its face off.

rolins

Been playing Splatterhouse alot on the FM-Towns. I'm so damn impressed by the music which is redbook, and near identical graphics of the arcade. Last night I went back to playing the pce version and notice how much smaller the playing field is in comparison to the FM-Towns port. This game really could have been remade on the PC-Engine arcade cd or some kind of Namco anthology for todays consoles. Splatterhouse fans are really missing out on this gem.

esteban

Quote from: "rolins"Been playing Splatterhouse alot on the FM-Towns. I'm so damn impressed by the music which is redbook, and near identical graphics of the arcade. Last night I went back to playing the pce version and notice how much smaller the playing field is in comparison to the FM-Towns port. This game really could have been remade on the PC-Engine arcade cd or some kind of Namco anthology for todays consoles. Splatterhouse fans are really missing out on this gem.
GODDAMN, the legend is true! I've always heard that this was a godly port, and you're corroborating the hearsay. Damn!

And this game, IIRC, goes for MAD $$$, even in Yahoo Japan auctions.

I honestly don't understand why Namco has abandoned this game.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

rolins

Quote from: "stevek666"
Quote from: "rolins"Been playing Splatterhouse alot on the FM-Towns. I'm so damn impressed by the music which is redbook, and near identical graphics of the arcade. Last night I went back to playing the pce version and notice how much smaller the playing field is in comparison to the FM-Towns port. This game really could have been remade on the PC-Engine arcade cd or some kind of Namco anthology for todays consoles. Splatterhouse fans are really missing out on this gem.
GODDAMN, the legend is true! I've always heard that this was a godly port, and you're corroborating the hearsay. Damn!

Most reviews I've read say the samething that the FM-Towns ports is the best, and they're entirely true. I played thru both the FM-Towns and Arcade (via mame) up to stage 4 and did a side by side comparison. Almost perfect IMO, slight differences in sound effects and resolution is somewhat smaller in FM-Towns port but expected in console game. Why Namco isn't re-releasing this gem is like Konami hold back Dracula X and Policenauts from the rest of the world. It's blasphemy I say.

CrackTiger

Quote from: "rolins"
Quote from: "stevek666"

Most reviews I've read say the samething that the FM-Towns ports is the best, and they're entirely true. I played thru both the FM-Towns and Arcade (via mame) up to stage 4 and did a side by side comparison. Almost perfect IMO, slight differences in sound effects and resolution is somewhat smaller in FM-Towns port but expected in console game. Why Namco isn't re-releasing this gem is like Konami hold back Dracula X and Policenauts from the rest of the world. It's blasphemy I say.

Drac X and Policenauts are original games though. I don't blame companies for not releasing emulations of virtually perfect arcade ports when they can just put out a quality port/emulation of the actual arcade game itself.

Personally, I'm not that interested in playing perfect ports for systems like X68000 (I don't know how perfect FM Towns ports are), because they're too perfect and the hardware isn't greatly inferior to the original.

Forgotten Worlds on PCE is amazing. A near perfect FW on X68000 would be expected.

I am interested in seeing them compared to the originals on websites and such, but if it looks, sounds and plays like the arcade, I might as well be playing Mame instead of an X68000 emulator.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

rolins

@CrackTiger

Jeez, no love for the Sharp X68000?
I'm the opposite, I'd rather be playing games on the X68000 than on mame. :)

CrackTiger

Quote from: "rolins"@Black_Tiger

Jeez, no love for the Sharp X68000?
I'm the opposite, I'd rather be playing games on the X68000 than on mame. :)

I think its cool and I would love to have the real deal, but I wouldn't spend too much time emulating the 'perfect' arcade ports.

Of course, this is going on third hand knowledge, I've never managed to get an X68k  emu to work. If I did, I might get hooked.

But regardless, I think its understandable that companies wouldn't offer emulations of perfect ports instead of perfectly emulated ports.

TurboXray

You should try to get the x68k emu to work - you're missing some cool titles. Genocide 2 is soo much better than the first one.

GUTS

Its worth using the X68000 emulator just to play the awesome Geograph Seal, an early (maybe first?) game made by the guys who made Jumping Flash.  Its like Jumping Flash mixed with Starfox, it rules and looks damn good for an old polygon game.  If you have a modded Xbox there's an X68000 emulator that runs it flawlessly, that's what I play it on.

rolins

Quote from: "CrackTiger"Of course, this is going on third hand knowledge, I've never managed to get an X68k  emu to work. If I did, I might get hooked.
It doesn't take much to get a X68000 emulator going.
You'll only need two things...
1.) Win68K v0.95 High speed version
2.) X68000 system roms

source: http://www.jcec.co.uk/X68emu.htm

Keranu

I agree with CrackTiger here; I'm not intersted in playing arcade or near-arcade perfect titles for a computer system like the X86000 because I really don't have a point to if I already played it on the arcades. I'd love to play any games originally made for the system, but just playing perfect ports of games I've already played would be a waste of my time honestly. If it was a port on a console from back the on the other hand, I would certainly be interested in playing it just to see the differences and how well the console tried to handle the game.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: "rolins"
Quote from: CrackTigerOf course, this is going on third hand knowledge, I've never managed to get an X68k  emu to work. If I did, I might get hooked.
It doesn't take much to get a X68000 emulator going.
You'll only need two things...
1.) Win68K v0.95 High speed version
2.) X68000 system roms

source: http://www.jcec.co.uk/X68emu.htm

Thanks a lot. Now that I got it running, I remember that the problem was actually figuring out how to load games.

Is it the same for any game? Is there a tutorial out there?

rolins

@CrackTiger

First, make sure you put the system roms in the same folder with the Win68k app.

Loading games in Win68k ain't difficult. If the game is on a single disk then load it in FDD0. Then goto File --> Restart

If the game is on more than 2 disks. Load the first disk in FDD0 and the second disk in FDD1. Then goto File --> Restart. Thats should get things going.