10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Wonderboy Series

Started by nat, 02/08/2011, 10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 11/10/2013, 03:09 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 11/10/2013, 11:12 AM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 11/10/2013, 03:53 AMCould you do that in the SMS version other than in the change chamber? Dunno reallt remember that.
Equip the Tasmanian sword, and jump into the air. While in the air, hold and let go of 1 on controller 2 and 2 on controller 1 at the same time. You'll transform when you land!
So it's just a cheat code. :P

The game is already easy enough, so I wouldn't have much use for that. Since it's a cheat, chances are it's also in the PCE version.

The charm stone warps and infinite bosses are what really sets the SMS version apart.
Not really as you need the Tasmanian sword to do it and it's a item not easy to find.  :)

Tatsujin

Yeah, but still a cheat which even involves controller 2 trickery.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

CrackTiger

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 11/10/2013, 03:50 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 11/10/2013, 03:09 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 11/10/2013, 11:12 AM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 11/10/2013, 03:53 AMCould you do that in the SMS version other than in the change chamber? Dunno reallt remember that.
Equip the Tasmanian sword, and jump into the air. While in the air, hold and let go of 1 on controller 2 and 2 on controller 1 at the same time. You'll transform when you land!
So it's just a cheat code. :P

The game is already easy enough, so I wouldn't have much use for that. Since it's a cheat, chances are it's also in the PCE version.

The charm stone warps and infinite bosses are what really sets the SMS version apart.
Not really as you need the Tasmanian sword to do it and it's a item not easy to find.  :)
Since the game was designed around limited use of different forms, it's either a cheat or the game isn't nearly as good as people think it is.

QuoteInfinite bosses?
Once you've maxed out your charm stones you unlock a bunch of hidden warp doors that transport you around the world, including each dungeon, where bosses can be fought again and again.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Mathius

Oh okay. Thanks! I have yet to beat the game. I got very near the end a while back, lost the save, and haven't made it quite that far during subsequent plays.

Xak

I always loved Dragons Curse. I just learned Dynastic Hero is the next game in the series. The screenshots look dazzling, I will be getting it soon.
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Xak on 11/11/2013, 08:40 AMI always loved Dragons Curse. I just learned Dynastic Hero is the next game in the series. The screenshots look dazzling, I will be getting it soon.
Mmmm, I'd consider Monster Lair to be the next game after Dragon's Curse, though, both technically are Wonderboy 3!
IMG

Tatsujin

Monsterlair is such a funtastic game. At least on the pce :D
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Xak

^You mean the shooter? Not a shooter fan ironically despite loving the TG16 the most out of all 16bit systems

CrackTiger

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 11/11/2013, 08:22 PM
Quote from: Xak on 11/11/2013, 08:40 AMI always loved Dragons Curse. I just learned Dynastic Hero is the next game in the series. The screenshots look dazzling, I will be getting it soon.
Mmmm, I'd consider Monster Lair to be the next game after Dragon's Curse, though, both technically are Wonderboy 3!
Monster Lair predates MWII. If anything, Dynastic Hero is a sequel or prequel to Monster Lair since it shares character designs.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 11/12/2013, 04:15 PM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 11/11/2013, 08:22 PM
Monster Lair predates MWII. If anything, Dynastic Hero is a sequel or prequel to Monster Lair since it shares character designs.
Yeah I know, but graphically it's superior to Dragon's Curse, since it was an arcade game originally unlike Dragon's Trap.  Maybe both Wonderboy 3's are inbetweequal's :)
IMG

technozombie

I always loved Wonder boy in Monster World for Genesis. I'm curious how it compares to Dynastic Hero? Is the gameplay the same? Is it longer?

Also, I'm new to the board so hello everyone.

CrackTiger

Quote from: technozombie on 11/13/2013, 10:15 PMI always loved Wonder boy in Monster World for Genesis. I'm curious how it compares to Dynastic Hero? Is the gameplay the same? Is it longer?

Also, I'm new to the board so hello everyone.
Same game. Different soundtrack, player and boss sprites. Dynastic Hero has some cinematics, increased color/shading and no(?) parallax.

https://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons.htm#Dynastic_Hero

Tatsujin

It is mainly a trade of parallax into nicer colors and good FM BGMs into an amazing red book OST
 (completely different tunes but absolutely awesome stuff) plus some sprite changes and added cinemas .
Absolutely worth playing it :)

technozombie

QuoteSame game. Different soundtrack, player and boss sprites. Dynastic Hero has some cinematics, increased color/shading and no(?) parallax.

https://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons_rpg.htm#Dynastic_Hero
Great Link, I love looking at these comparisons.

BigusSchmuck

Am I the only one who has the coastal music from Dragon's Curse stuck in their head?

Tatsujin

Mathius

That game makes great use of the PCE's soundchip. It's like they were made for each other.

Tatsujin

math sure did the math :D

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: Tatsujin on 11/14/2013, 05:55 PMBest tune by far!
It's now my ring tone. Now everyone in the IT department will be whistling it forever.  :)

Tatsujin

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 11/14/2013, 09:01 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 11/14/2013, 05:55 PMBest tune by far!
It's now my ring tone. Now everyone in the IT department will be whistling it forever.  :)
but just if you let it ring long enough everytime :lol:

PukeSter

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 11/14/2013, 05:48 PMAm I the only one who has the coastal music from Dragon's Curse stuck in their head?
Side Crawler's Dance!!

MrPoppy

Any kind of language barrier in the Japanese version of Monster Lair? I'm making a run through the Wonder Boy games and that is next - but it looks like the import version is a lot easier and cheaper to obtain than the American.
Looking for:
US Legendary Axe case and manual
US Ninja Spirit case and manual
US Pac-Land manual

Mathius

Quote from: MrPoppy on 01/28/2014, 12:35 PMAny kind of language barrier in the Japanese version of Monster Lair? I'm making a run through the Wonder Boy games and that is next - but it looks like the import version is a lot easier and cheaper to obtain than the American.
It's a straight run n' gunner. No Japanese text skillz needed. :)

GohanX

I don't recall that have even having any text outside of the title screen.

Tatsujin

yeah no text except title, between levels screen and ending (and mostly english too).
it's 120% arcade action pure. forget the wimpy MD port, PCE is where it's at!!

MrPoppy

Perfect. Like I said I'll probably go for import version of Monster Lair. But I'll insist on the US versions of Dragon's Curse and Dynastic Hero.
Looking for:
US Pac-Land manual

Mathius

Quote from: MrPoppy on 01/28/2014, 11:34 PMPerfect. Like I said I'll probably go for import version of Monster Lair. But I'll insist on the US versions of Dragon's Curse and Dynastic Hero.
Dynastic Hero is hella expensive. eBay has killed the "everyman's" chance of getting that SCD. Your best options are to either emulate it, buy the much less expensive Japanese version, or do what I do and play it on the Wii Virtual Console. You can play the same game on the Genesis also. It's known as Monster World.

CrackTiger

Quote from: JKM on 01/28/2014, 03:57 PMI don't recall that have even having any text outside of the title screen.
I believe that the Turbo version dropped "Wonderboy III" from the title screen.

MrPoppy

Quote from: Mathius on 01/28/2014, 11:47 PM
Quote from: MrPoppy on 01/28/2014, 11:34 PMPerfect. Like I said I'll probably go for import version of Monster Lair. But I'll insist on the US versions of Dragon's Curse and Dynastic Hero.
Dynastic Hero is hella expensive. eBay has killed the "everyman's" chance of getting that SCD. Your best options are to either emulate it, buy the much less expensive Japanese version, or do what I do and play it on the Wii Virtual Console. You can play the same game on the Genesis also. It's known as Monster World.
That's kind of what I've gathered. On that note, what's the language barrier like on those latter two games? I've actually beaten Dragon's Curse years ago but I can't remember how essential the English translation was. Seems like that's not any easier to find than Dynastic Hero.

Ideally, I would get physical copies of these. I've done the emulation thing in the past but looking for the real deal now.
Looking for:
US Pac-Land manual

CrackTiger

Quote from: MrPoppy on 01/29/2014, 12:56 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 01/28/2014, 11:47 PM
That's kind of what I've gathered. On that note, what's the language barrier like on those latter two games? I've actually beaten Dragon's Curse years ago but I can't remember how essential the English translation was. Seems like that's not any easier to find than Dynastic Hero.

Ideally, I would get physical copies of these. I've done the emulation thing in the past but looking for the real deal now.
Dragon's Curse is a common and inexpensive game. Dynastic Hero is the rarest Turbo game.

DC doesn't require reading other than managing your gear.

DH is pretty straightforward, but there is a quiz later on. It's not too difficult to guess your way through or identify the questions/aswers.

Mzo

Monster Lair is the cheapest of the three games at the moment.  Why would you go J on that one but insist US for the other two?
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

Tatsujin

Quote from: Mzo on 01/30/2014, 01:41 PMMonster Lair is the cheapest of the three games at the moment.  Why would you go J on that one but insist US for the other two?
because monster liar = 0 JPN skillz required (but JPN version is a hell of  cooler (and has very a nice poster) than the fugly TG16 cover etc. stuff)

dynastic hero & adventure island (dragon's curse) = partially JPN skillz required

:idea:

Xak

i dont care much for box art

but when it comes to uSA box art vs pCE  (see my left shift is ****ed) then i cry when i see how beautiful the pCE covers are

CrackTiger

Quote from: Xak on 01/30/2014, 08:12 PMi dont care much for box art

but when it comes to uSA box art vs pCE  (see my left shift is ****ed) then i cry when i see how beautiful the pCE covers are
If you cry over things you don't care much for, I'd hate to see how you react to things you do care about.

PukeSter

Quote from: Xak on 01/30/2014, 08:12 PM(see my left shift is ****ed)
YEAh duDE! SO is mINE tOo!

Mzo

Can't argue with that.  The US box art is pretty hideous.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

esteban

Are you folks saying the U.S. MONSTER LAIR box art is hideous?

I think that is a bit extreme. It's not that bad. Clearly, it is a poor imitation of the SUPERCUTE original Japanese cover art, but it isn't hideous.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

EvilEvoIX

What a Great Series, I'm currently playing IV on my Master System, the music is great!
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Mathius

The latest issue of Retro Gamer magazine wrote up a great article on the Wonder Boy series and the formation of Westone. Over the years journalists have stated that the company's name was pronounced "West-One", but one of the founders have confirmed that it is in fact pronounced "West-Stone". For years I have always pronounced it as the former but being told I was wrong I switched to the latter. Now I have to switch back again.

esteban

I've always pronounced it as "west stone") because it sounded better. If were ever to utter "west one" it would remind me of "Westwood One" and Casey Kasem and Top 40 and Wonderboy deserves better.

Trü storie.

Psycho Punch

I've always pronounced it as Wet Stone for some reason.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

EvilEvoIX

Just picked up Dynastic Hero which is basically a Wonder Boy Series game, just started it.  Seems fun.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Tatsujin

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 03/22/2014, 07:39 PMJust picked up Dynastic Hero which is basically a Wonder Boy Series game..Seems fun.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 03/22/2014, 07:39 PMJust picked up Dynastic Hero which is basically a Wonder Boy Series game, just started it.  Seems fun.
I you like Dynastic Hero you'll love Wonderboy V on Genesis.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: guest on 03/23/2014, 10:18 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 03/22/2014, 07:39 PMJust picked up Dynastic Hero which is basically a Wonder Boy Series game, just started it.  Seems fun.
Obviously same game, I know Dynastic Hero is a wonder-boy game basically, I'm just new to the series, never played it now I have the 1st one, the Dragons trap, an now Dynastic Hero.
IMGIMGIMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 03/24/2014, 10:28 PM
Quote from: guest on 03/23/2014, 10:18 PM
Obviously same game, I know Dynastic Hero is a wonder-boy game basically, I'm just new to the series, never played it now I have the 1st one, the Dragons trap, an now Dynastic Hero. 
great games, enjoy them to max :)

Nec.Game.head

These are the versions of WonderBoy I've got in my collection so far. My favorite of the 3 is the TG16 version for obvious superior reasons all around. And it's the only one that I have beaten so far. I'm still working on trying to beat the NES version but it's so freaking hard ! Gonna definitely have to try out the rest of the series that you guy's posted up on here.

IMG
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Mathius

I am assuming you're running the arcade version off a SuperGun? How much did the board set you back?

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 07/22/2014, 09:52 PMI am assuming you're running the arcade version off a SuperGun? How much did the board set you back?
Initially, I just assumed it was the SMS version. But it looked too damn nice, "That title screen can't be from the SMS port, could it?"

What's sad is that I've played the SMS port a billion times, but I can't recall the title screen with any clarity.

I know it says "insert coin", I'm talking about the fact that I can't remember things. That's what is disturbing.

Quote from: Nec.Game.head on 07/22/2014, 08:10 PMThese are the version's of WonderBoy I've got in my collection so far. My favorite of the 3 is the TG16 version for obvious superior reasons all around. And it's the only one that I have beaten so far. I'm still working on trying to beat the NES version but it's so freaking hard ! Gonna definitely have to try out the rest of the series that you guy's posted up on here.

IMG
It is quite satisfying when you beat Adventure Island NES, since it is a challenging game. Such a great game, though.

If you have SMS, certainly grab Wonderboy—it's cheap and one of the best games in the SMS library (a very solid platformer, marred only by the lame square direction pad on the SMS controller).

Also, don't hurt me, but since you like this classic platforming formula of Wonderboy, you should give JJ & Jeff a chance. It is the black sheep, the bastard child, the lone wolf in the Wonderboy family. Folks either love it or hate it, I think. It's not perfect, but I personally find enough there to deem it "worthy". JJ&Jeff, like AI NES, has some quite challenging platforming acrobatics required later in the game.

NAI is easy but fun as hell.

AI 2 NES is very nice, too.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: esteban on 07/23/2014, 07:51 AMIf you have SMS, certainly grab Wonderboy—it's cheap and one of the best games in the SMS library (a very solid platformer, marred only by the lame square direction pad on the SMS controller).
You can use GEN pads on the SMS, though, right? I remember doing this at least the last time I played mine. Was quite a while ago, so maybe I'm wrong.
IMG