10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Wonderboy Series

Started by nat, 02/08/2011, 10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathius

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 07/23/2014, 10:29 PM
Quote from: esteban on 07/23/2014, 07:51 AMIf you have SMS, certainly grab Wonderboy—it's cheap and one of the best games in the SMS library (a very solid platformer, marred only by the lame square direction pad on the SMS controller).
You can use GEN pads on the SMS, though, right? I remember doing this at least the last time I played mine. Was quite a while ago, so maybe I'm wrong.
Yes they are compatible with every WB game except Monster Land.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Mathius on 07/23/2014, 11:40 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 07/23/2014, 10:29 PM
Quote from: esteban on 07/23/2014, 07:51 AMIf you have SMS, certainly grab Wonderboy—it's cheap and one of the best games in the SMS library (a very solid platformer, marred only by the lame square direction pad on the SMS controller).
You can use GEN pads on the SMS, though, right? I remember doing this at least the last time I played mine. Was quite a while ago, so maybe I'm wrong.
Yes they are compatible with every WB game except Monster Land.
Eye see, eye see.
IMG

Nec.Game.head

The WonderBoy was a gift given to me many years ago. I use a Vega Jr Supergun when when playing PCB's my PVM monitors.

IMG
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Galder

Jeez I loved Bikkuriman World in the arcade back when I was a kid. It will always be my favourite. My question is: is there a version of this game for the turbografx 16? I want it in my Turbo Express! :D

NecroPhile

Quote from: Galder on 09/12/2014, 06:30 PMJeez I loved Bikkuriman World in the arcade back when I was a kid. It will always be my favourite. My question is: is there a version of this game for the turbografx 16? I want it in my Turbo Express! :D
http://www.pcengine.co.uk/HTML_Games/Bikkuri_Man_World.htm

It's Japan only, so you'll need a region mod or play it on a flashcart.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 09/12/2014, 06:46 PM
Quote from: Galder on 09/12/2014, 06:30 PMJeez I loved Bikkuriman World in the arcade back when I was a kid. It will always be my favourite. My question is: is there a version of this game for the turbografx 16? I want it in my Turbo Express! :D
Bikkuriman World | Wonder Boy in Monster Land
http://www.videogameden.com/hucard.htm?won

It's Japan only, so you'll need a region mod or play it on a flashcart.
Go the flashcart route so you can play it in English.

Galder

Thanks guys, I thought I would ask just in case I was missing something. :idea:

yoyo

I was missing a few from this. Thanks for an awesome sticky, now I can enjoy the entire series correctly.
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.
IMG

Mathius

Quote from: yoyo on 09/20/2014, 05:23 PMI was missing a few from this. Thanks for an awesome sticky, now I can enjoy the entire series correctly.
Yeah awesome series. It does kind of take away from the mystery once you get educated about Wonder Boy, however.

CrackTiger

Quote from: yoyo on 09/20/2014, 05:23 PMI was missing a few from this. Thanks for an awesome sticky, now I can enjoy the entire series correctly.
Although most of the Wonderboy/Monsterworld unique(ish) games are on that list, some are still missing, like Wonderboy for SG-1000 My Card.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Mzo

Quote from: Mathius on 07/23/2014, 11:40 PMYes they are compatible with every WB game except Monster Land.
You can mod a switch into the controller to make it work.  Or you can just cut the gray cable like a barbarian.  That's what I did to an old garage sale 3-button Genesis controller.  It's become my SMS controller forever now.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

Daria

This may have been mentioned (wow these threads are long/old) but:

Wonderboy III: Monster Lair (PCE/TG16 JP, Genesis)

Monster Lair was released in Europe on the Mega Drive but never on the Genesis.

Edit: Also realized that I had to add two more Monster World games to my own want list. Damn.

warpig227

I've been playing dragon's curse for the first time. i had no idea how much i would love this game !!

esteban

Quote from: warpig227 on 03/06/2015, 01:33 PMI've been playing dragon's curse for the first time. i had no idea how much i would love this game !!
Dude, it is a solid little game.

HuMAN!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ClodBusted

I played Adventure Island II on NES before I saw Wonder Boy on the Game Gear in the early 90s. It immediately struck me how close these two games were, but since I was a child back then I didn't really cared. Years later I learned about the connection of these two series, must have been in the dedicated Game Sack episode I think.

I managed to beat the Adventure Island II port on the GameBoy (not sure if it was titled the same), but haven't finished the NES one yet. I've seen Monster World 4 (that one with the green haired girl, please excuse me if I got the name wrong) several times, and I wonder if I should give it a try on the Xbox 360. The graphics look so nice.

Mathius

Monster World IV is loaded with charm and atmosphere. Play it!

PukeSter

Quote from: Mathius on 03/07/2015, 10:08 AMMonster World IV is loaded with charm and atmosphere. Play it!
One of the best Mega Drive games! It's a lot more linear than Monster World though, and you can't go back o old locations.

I had to take plenty of notes and backtracking during the Ice pyramid dungeons. But all the other dungeons are straightforward.

GohanX

Quote from: Mathius on 03/07/2015, 10:08 AMMonster World IV is loaded with charm and atmosphere. Play it!
This! One of my top 5 Genesis games, for sure.

ParanoiaDragon

Just beat Monster World IV on PS3 a few weeks back.  Didn't enjoy it as much I as thought I would sadly.  I think it's mainly the fact that you can't go back to levels like in Dragon's Curse & Dynastic Hero.  Still, I did enjoy it, & it would've been nice to have seen Hudson port it BITD...or maybe someone do a homebrew today!
IMG

Mzo

They would've changed all the sprites and called it something crazy.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

esteban

Quote from: Mzo on 05/27/2015, 03:21 AMThey would've changed all the sprites and called it something crazy.
Of course they would have!

I'd still play it, of course. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Mzo on 05/27/2015, 03:21 AMThey would've changed all the sprites and called it something crazy.
So it would be a justified port?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

johnnykonami

Do you guys think Monster World Collection has a chance to be delisted from the Xbox 360?  I'll be honest, I was kinda waiting to see if a Steam port showed up because that's my preferred platform.  Now with the (sorta old) news that Westone is no longer with us, I was thinking of just biting the bullet for the 360 version.  I think the copyright belongs to Sega (or Sammy or whatever) though, so it will probably stick around.  Looking back, the 360 really was a decent platform for Japanese developed remakes/re-releases.  I was never a Halo or Gears guy (bought my 360 for Dead Rising 1 and Pac-Man CE before it was available anywhere else) but I have a pretty good collection of XBLA titles.

Mathius

Quote from: johnnykonami on 08/13/2015, 06:34 PMDo you guys think Monster World Collection has a chance to be delisted from the Xbox 360?  I'll be honest, I was kinda waiting to see if a Steam port showed up because that's my preferred platform.  Now with the (sorta old) news that Westone is no longer with us, I was thinking of just biting the bullet for the 360 version.  I think the copyright belongs to Sega (or Sammy or whatever) though, so it will probably stick around.  Looking back, the 360 really was a decent platform for Japanese developed remakes/re-releases.  I was never a Halo or Gears guy (bought my 360 for Dead Rising 1 and Pac-Man CE before it was available anywhere else) but I have a pretty good collection of XBLA titles.
If you have the option get the PS3 version since the PS3 controller has a better D-Pad.

johnnykonami

I do have a PS3, but the 360 dpad has never bothered me that much as it has others.  I just make do with whatever controller I have.  I'd use the PS3 controller for Windows if you didn't have to jump through so many hoops, the 360 is natively supported in OS and in games so I've gotten pretty used to it universally.

108 Stars

Love the Wonder Boy / Monster World series. MWIV on the MD is my favorite; it is more simple than MWII and III, but very well designed and beautiful to look at. I feel there is no repetition in the game, every obstacle is unique. Love the gameplay with Pepe too. I also applaud the pixel artists, they managed to make 64 colors seem like more than enough, so vibrant does it look.

On the PCE I definitely want to play Dragon's Curse. The Master System version is a great game, and with the graphical capabilities of the PCE it should be even better.

johnnykonami

Dragon's Curse is what got me started in the series, and later on I also picked up Dynastic Hero and New Adventure Island (marginally related as it may be.)  You can't go wrong with some Dragon's Curse.

Incidentally, I did end up picking the Monster World Collection, looking forward to playing through IV (with that official translation!) and Wonder Boy V again!

ParanoiaDragon

Dragon's Curse is definitely up there as a favorite for me.  It was actually my first Wonderboy game.  However, the graphics definitely could be a lot better.  At the very least, I feel like for the time it came out, it could've looked a bit better.  As I've said here before, I'd love to make a cd version of the game, with updated graphics, & my own personal renditions of the tunes, but, that's just one of many of projects I'd love to be involved in.  There's never enough time for them all.
IMG

Galder

I can't wait for a 'wonder boy in monster land' cart (first WB game I ever played) I ordered to arrive for my "master system" (game gear with a master gear converter). I only wish the music was the original, like that of the arcade or the pc engine. Oh well, perhaps it is time to get a pc engine after all 'cause I can't find a true arcade port of this game in any of my current systems.

Koop

I've only played Adventure Island and Dynastic Hero... I used to play Adventure Island a lot on NES and the GameCube remake (which I believe has some varied opinions due to the graphics). I did beat the game though which I feel is a worthy accomplishment.

As for Dynastic Hero, I dunno if I'm really into it, the audio to me is really weak, dunno how to describe it other than it just isn't very exciting and kind of makes the whole game feel slow to me.

I'd like to get more into the series though, is there a particular title anyone would recommend I start with? There are just so many to choose from.

Galder

Well, historically and due to pure sentimental reasons I'd say monster land :D You could then try monster world (which is very cool too) and see for yourself if you are far away from your 'thing'. Monster world is towards the rpg side and monster land towards the arcade side.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Koop on 10/18/2015, 06:51 PM6
I've only played Adventure Island and Dynastic Hero... I used to play Adventure Island a lot on NES and the GameCube remake (which I believe has some varied opinions due to the graphics). I did beat the game though which I feel is a worthy accomplishment.

As for Dynastic Hero, I dunno if I'm really into it, the audio to me is really weak, dunno how to describe it other than it just isn't very exciting and kind of makes the whole game feel slow to me.

I'd like to get more into the series though, is there a particular title anyone would recommend I start with? There are just so many to choose from.
The best Monster World-style game is Dragon's Curse for TG-16, aka "Adventure Island" for PCE.

The best Wonderboy-style game is Wonderboy for SMS.

A great original game in the series/family is Monster Lair for Turbo/PCE. It's best played with two people and has some of the best video game-style music found in games.

EmperorIng

The music in Dynastic Hero sucks. The reskin in general looks very ugly to me, and the series is on much surer footing in its fantasy trappings than the generic anime bug world of DH. If you felt it brought down the action, then I'd say the music in Wonder Boy in Monster World is far more appropriate - and frankly a more memorable and likable OST.

Wonder Boy in Monster World is superior in a few ways - notably, the US version has its difficulty increased (though the game is still on the low end of the challenge spectrum), the writing is better, and obviously the character sprites are far more pleasant.

As for games to play, both Genesis titles are winners (this doesn't include Monster Lair). I know it's hard to think about playing Monster World after playing DH, but maybe you can emulate it to see if you like the changes. I would honestly feel bad if someone's only exposure to the series is the Hudson reskin hackjobs.  8)

Monster World IV is a slight step down from WB in Monster World, but it's a very good game full of polish and personality. It has large dungeons to make up for its lack of exploration. it's not quite a worthwhile tradeoff to its predecessors open world, but it's quite nice - the dungeons themselves are very involving and contain some tricky puzzles and bosses.

Quote from: guest on 10/18/2015, 07:13 PMWorld-style game is Dragon's Curse for TG-16, aka "Adventure Island" for PCE.
Since these games are very fresh in my mind I will have to disagree with Black Tiger.

While I haven't played the SMS version, Dragon's Curse/Adventure Island is full of good ideas that wouldn't be better realized until the Genesis/MD outings. While there is a novelty in having an open world, the way things are segmented is a little artificial, since you often need to be a certain form to enter into a new world. While it accentuates the "uses" of the animal forms, it devalues them because you will only ever be able to use them in their own small 5ish-screen area, and a little bit in their respective dungeons.

WB in Monster World is more natural in this regard, as it has a larger world and a more open hub for you to explore. Your access to new areas is determined by equipment that (importantly) you can swap in and out any time, with the exception of the Pygmy dungeon.

Dungeons in Dragon's Curse are mostly long horizontal stretches populated by enemies. They're short enough to not overstay their welcome but they get samey after a while. WB in MW's, while not as involved as Monster World IV, are a marked step up from its predecessor. Comparing the final dungeons alone can show the advances in level design. And the final boss of WB in MW isn't a cheating prick like the one in Dragon's Curse.  :P

Dragon's Curse is a very good game and it was really fun to see an open-world game attempted so early in the series' lifespan, but I think successive games really improved on its formula. It's still worth at least one playthrough.

CrackTiger

Trying to be more modern or technically impressive or just throwing in more of anything just for the sake of it is what limited too many games from the 16-bit generation onward. WBIII/DC/AI is an enjoyable, balanced and charming game and is superior to MWIII in these ways. MWIII feels terribly uninspired and more of a mechanical mix of random ideas that weren't balanced to compliment one another. It's like a fan tribute game to the series, instead of something designed from the ground up to be a single solid vision, like WBIII is. WBIII feels like a real adventure with perfect pacing, while MWIII feels like a casual random stroll through someone else's game.

WBIV is a great game in its own right and is another solid well executed unified vision for a game like WBIII is, but it's more of its own branch off into a new series and not as much of a MW game.

Gentlegamer

Monster World is on both Genesis and SMS, right? Is SMS version considered better?

I'm still confused on the series.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 10/19/2015, 07:42 PMMonster World is on both Genesis and SMS, right? Is SMS version considered better?

I'm still confused on the series.
Wonderboy in Monsterland = Monster World I

The Genesis game called "Wonderboy V" or "Wonderboy in Monster World" is Monster World III. This game received a good port for SMS by a Western developer, but it makes the biggest problem of the original even worse: the tiny range of your weapon. Dynastic Hero is version of this game.

The original "Wonderboy III" game is Monster Lair and was made for arcades.

Westone made a Mark III-exclusive Monster World game titled Monster World II. Sega of Japan shelved it and Sega USA/Canada released it as "Wonderboy III". When Westone got a second chance to make the game for Game Gear, they rebalanced it and gave it the proper title screen. This game was ported to PCE/TG-16 as Adventure Island/Dragon's Curse.

Gentlegamer

Quote from: guest on 10/19/2015, 08:18 PMWonderboy in Monsterland = Monster World I

The Genesis game called "Wonderboy V" or "Wonderboy in Monster World" is Monster World III. This game received a good port for SMS by a Western developer, but it makes the biggest problem of the original even worse: the tiny range of your weapon. Dynastic Hero is version of this game.
Ok, I have Genesis Wonderboy in Monster World, aka Monster World III, received as part of a lot from someone at sega-16. Haven't had a chance to get into it.

QuoteWestone made a Mark III-exclusive Monster World game titled Monster World II. Sega of Japan shelved it and Sega USA/Canada released it as "Wonderboy III". When Westone got a second chance to make the game for Game Gear, they rebalanced it and gave it the proper title screen. This game was ported to PCE/TG-16 as Adventure Island/Dragon's Curse.
So that means PCE Adventure Island is an actual adventure game, and not just a platformer like NES Hudson's Adventure Island? Does it use Master Higgins or Wonderboy?
IMG

Mathius

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 10/19/2015, 08:28 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/19/2015, 08:18 PMWonderboy in Monsterland = Monster World I

Ok, I have Genesis Wonderboy in Monster World, aka Monster World III, received as part of a lot from someone at sega-16. Haven't had a chance to get into it.

QuoteWestone made a Mark III-exclusive Monster World game titled Monster World II. Sega of Japan shelved it and Sega USA/Canada released it as "Wonderboy III". When Westone got a second chance to make the game for Game Gear, they rebalanced it and gave it the proper title screen. This game was ported to PCE/TG-16 as Adventure Island/Dragon's Curse.
So that means PCE Adventure Island is an actual adventure game, and not just a platformer like NES Hudson's Adventure Island? Does it use Master Higgins or Wonderboy?
^^Adventure Island is the exact same game as the US Dragon's Curse. Dragon's Curse was a port of Sega/Westone's game Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Curse that originally saw release on the US Master System as Black Tiger explained. The character in this game is not affiliated with the original Wonder Boy or its NES cousin Adventure Island I don't believe.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 10/19/2015, 08:28 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/19/2015, 08:18 PMWonderboy in Monsterland = Monster World I

The Master Higgins game for TurboGrafx-16 is titled "New Adventure Island", while the PCE version uses a variant of the Japanese title for the series: "Takahashi Meijin no Shin Bouken Jima"". Hudson's decision to use "Adventure Island" for the title of the PCE version of MWII and the fact that the Turbo got the PCE-Exclusive Adventure Island brought over under the traditional Western name for the series is part of the confusion for many people trying to keep track of the overall Wonderboy series. It's already convoluted enough otherwise.

Mathius

"Dragon's Curse" - Turbo Views #87 (TurboGrafx-16 / Duo / Wii game REVIEW!)

SavagePencil

Quote from: guest on 10/19/2015, 08:18 PMThe Genesis game called "Wonderboy V" or "Wonderboy in Monster World" is Monster World III. This game received a good port for SMS by a Western developer, but it makes the biggest problem of the original even worse: the tiny range of your weapon. Dynastic Hero is version of this game.
I'm not able to find any credits for the SMS version of Monster World (and none are shown during the end roll).  Who did the conversion?  Can we add it to GDRI or SMS Power?

CrackTiger

Quote from: SavagePencil on 06/15/2016, 12:37 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/19/2015, 08:18 PMThe Genesis game called "Wonderboy V" or "Wonderboy in Monster World" is Monster World III. This game received a good port for SMS by a Western developer, but it makes the biggest problem of the original even worse: the tiny range of your weapon. Dynastic Hero is version of this game.
I'm not able to find any credits for the SMS version of Monster World (and none are shown during the end roll).  Who did the conversion?  Can we add it to GDRI or SMS Power?
It was only released in Europe and I believe that it was not ported by a Japanese team. Looks like there aren't any on-game credits. I'll try to remember to check the manual when I get home.

SavagePencil

Quote from: guest on 06/15/2016, 03:17 PMIt was only released in Europe and I believe that it was not ported by a Japanese team. Looks like there aren't any on-game credits. I'll try to remember to check the manual when I get home.
Fair 'nuff.  I've got a copy I can check at home, too...I could swear that I got one with instructions.  Title screen only credits Sega & Westone, but that doesn't mean much.

CrackTiger

There aren't any credits in the ridiculously long septi-lingual manual.

SavagePencil

Well shoot.  The only suggestion I might make would be to see if the Monster World Complete Collection for the PS2 (see http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/monster-world-iv/ or wayback://hardcoregaming101.net/./wonderboy4.htm) has credits listed.  I don't have that.  In an interview in that same article, the Westone director says that Dragon's Trap was the only one they ported themselves, so I suspect that Sega did the port.

CrackTiger:  do you know where you got the info on a western dev team?

TR0N

Another wonderboy remake is coming still it looks likes a cheap flash animation game to me.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

technozombie

Yeah, I was thinking it looked cheesey too.

Mathius

Ryuichi Nishizawa gets some face time with The Dragon's Trap remake.

NightWolve

Hm, DotEmu ? I thought I heard that name before! They're that French company that localized Ys I & II for Android phones (https://www.dotemu.com/game/ys-chronicles/). So they try to get interviews with developers for their video channel ? Interesting.

Mathius

Quote from: NightWolve on 09/29/2016, 07:38 PMHm, DotEmu ? I thought I heard that name before! They're that French company that localized Ys I & II for Android phones (https://www.dotemu.com/game/ys-chronicles/). So they try to get interviews with developers for their video channel ? Interesting.
They're publishing the remake, I believe.