10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Jungle Bros: lord_cack's pet project! :)

Started by OldRover, 04/16/2011, 03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrackTiger

Quote from: TurboXray on 12/10/2015, 02:59 PMWho has all the assets to the game?
They were hosted on frozen utopia's site at one point. I don't know if anyone ever downloaded them all. Each contributor likely has stuff that didn't get posted yet. Keranu was always polishing up the animations.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

TurboXray

When I did two routines for MSR, I was never given access to the source code. I had to write them with the assumption Rover would know how to implement them without problems. So I'm assuming he didn't put up the source code for everyone to have access to. Does this sound about right? If so, that means only he has the source code.

ParanoiaDragon

I just farted around on the Jungle Bros. forums, didn't see any source code.  I think LC has most of the tiles, K has most the sprites & their animation, & Nod has the code.  Unless BT has a lot of the sprites & tiles, I think we'd need to specifically get resources from LC & K. We would need someone(BT?) to take up doing the rest of any tiles/sprites needed, unless K & LC become available again.
IMG

OldRover

lord cack and I figured we would bring the game to the PC... so we started a PC conversion. It didn't get too far though, unfortunately. I should still have all of the assets here somewhere... if you want to give it a go, feel free. I can also give ya the original source code if you'd like.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

TurboXray

Quote from: OldRover on 12/12/2015, 10:03 AMlord cack and I figured we would bring the game to the PC... so we started a PC conversion. It didn't get too far though, unfortunately. I should still have all of the assets here somewhere... if you want to give it a go, feel free. I can also give ya the original source code if you'd like.
Definitely. But how would this work? Who hold ownership of this game? The group you guys were a part of, or a single person? How much needs to be finished?

OldRover

Well, I don't care about the source... it can go WTFPL. The assets, however, you would need to talk to each respective dev for. Technically, all of the assets belong to Frozen Utopia, but since Frozen Utopia is now little more than a domain name waiting to expire, I would clear things up with everyone before doing anything with the assets. We had the first level working, which I planned to use to build the remaining levels off of. We just kept changing things around a lot, people had IRL things going on, and we just never managed to pull it all off. But that's ok, because we all learned a lot from the experience. I learned that I cannot lead a team effort, I suck at communication, and I waste people's time.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

touko

QuoteBut that's ok, because we all learned a lot from the experience. I learned that I cannot lead a team effort, I suck at communication, and I waste people's time.
Don't be hard with yourself, it's not easy to be the main coder and a team manager .
I think we all need a person specifically doing that job.

wyndcrosser

Damn, I was always hoping this would get released. I even spoke to someone on the facebook page which said a demo release would be given out, but I never saw it.

esteban

To breathe life into an old PCE project is the work of a saint.

Or a doctor.

Or a madman.

IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

spenoza

Will we never get to see the creepy sheep dildo clouds on a real console? I has a sad.

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 12/19/2015, 12:28 PMWill we never get to see the creepy sheep dildo clouds on a real console? I has a sad.
Those clouds are one of the things that currently exist in a playable stage.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Mathius

lord_cack

Hey all, stop in for a minute and WHAM, awesome people are talking about Jungle Bros.

As for assets, I have all but the music. Tiles, sprites, everything.

As for the game itself, Jungle Bros. Is a complicated beast. I have plans for TWO titles. One you are aware of, Jungle Bros. But the game was quickly eating through the PC Engines assets. So, I talked to Nod about porting that game to PC where it could be the game we envisioned.

But there is a second title I wanted to do on PC Engine and that game is Jungle Bros. Clash. It is a two player simultanious game like Mario Bros. You compete to collect fragments on each stage whoever collected the most won (out of five pieces). Their would be many stages, items to collect for high score and a variety of enemies to compete with in each stage.

I am always ready to get back to work with this title and the PC Jungle Bros. Game with who ever is willing to work on it.
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

lord_cack

As for how much work specifically needs done, the tile work is done from a design standpoint. Level design is where I am on that.

Sprite design is mostly complete I would say. Sprite animations is the big thing that needs done. Keranu got busy IRL and that stopped. Plus if the game is going to be a PC game then the animation can now be bumped up a bit further as well.

The music is like 98% done and AMAZING.

I spoke to everyone involved a few years ago about continuing on with the work without them and everyone was cool then. Though I think Paranoia Dragon was down for going forward with it. I know K said he was too busy and I don't recall what BT said. But one thing I know, I will be involved with whatever happens moving forward. But I am very excited at the prospect of working on this (and many other ideas and things I have rattling in my head) again...

lord_cack

Quote from: TurboXray on 12/13/2015, 12:54 PM
Quote from: OldRover on 12/12/2015, 10:03 AMlord cack and I figured we would bring the game to the PC... so we started a PC conversion. It didn't get too far though, unfortunately. I should still have all of the assets here somewhere... if you want to give it a go, feel free. I can also give ya the original source code if you'd like.
Definitely. But how would this work? Who hold ownership of this game? The group you guys were a part of, or a single person? How much needs to be finished?
Bonknuts, we briefly discussed doing some work together a year or to ago and had some PMs here on the forums but I never heard back from you at that time. You had some school thing going on and were very busy I recall so I figured that was it.

Anyway, I'm down for working on this (and again, I have tons of resources.... Tile work intended for Neutopia III etc.)

esteban

Quote from: lord_cack on 12/20/2015, 01:39 AMHey all, stop in for a minute and WHAM, awesome people are talking about Jungle Bros.

Welcome back, comrade :)

I love the idea of making a game that is built in the idea of a two-player "SMB-esque platformer" competition.

Now, you can punch me, but you have to stop everything you are doing and focus instead on:

Jungle Bros. in Neutopia

Thank you.

:)

lord_cack

Quote from: esteban on 12/20/2015, 08:22 AM
Quote from: lord_cack on 12/20/2015, 01:39 AMHey all, stop in for a minute and WHAM, awesome people are talking about Jungle Bros.

Welcome back, comrade :)

I love the idea of making a game that is built in the idea of a two-player "SMB-esque platformer" competition.

Now, you can punch me, but you have to stop everything you are doing and focus instead on:

Jungle Bros. in Neutopia

Thank you.

Neutopia, that's a project thats dead. I have loads of tile sets working for it. Something like, 6-7 different environments swamp, snow, etc. Loads of other tiles working as well for it. But we had several projects at varying degrees of the development process. I would say 3-4. That's not counting the various concepts I was working on graphically for later consideration....

TurboXray

Quote from: lord_cack on 12/20/2015, 01:56 AMBonknuts, we briefly discussed doing some work together a year or to ago and had some PMs here on the forums but I never heard back from you at that time. You had some school thing going on and were very busy I recall so I figured that was it.

Anyway, I'm down for working on this (and again, I have tons of resources.... Tile work intended for Neutopia III etc.)
I have a very vague recollection of this conversation, so I must have been swamped in RL. I do remember making the comment about converting everything from HuC source code over to assembly - but I don't remember which project that was. I still have the same opinion, though. It wouldn't be much work, as long as I understand how everything is functioning, but it would free up a lot of things that HuC's structure itself restricts you to. Kicking out HuC's lib means I can keep things lean on memory, too. Not to mention probably some level of speed boost. The boost in speed might not be needed for the core game logic, but it could be put to use like background realtime decompression of graphics (sprites or tile cells), etc.  Things like, PCE doesn't support tile flipping - but if you edge stream tiles, a small LUT can easily give flipping option to the PCE on the fly. Stuff like that. Anyway, if that means taking a month to convert everything over to assembly with custom libs (no MagicKit stuffs), rather than constantly fighting with HuC, then it would be totally worth it IMO. If for some reason we need to bring in another programmer, for whatever unforeseen reason, there are many more people out there that are familiar with 65x assembly than any of the quirks and limitations of HuC environment.

I'm very interested in this, I just want to be clear on what's exactly needed and what the end goal is (effects, animation, etc - stuff that can be squeezed out of the PCE to meet those) - basically what I'm getting myself into.

PM me all details :D

Psycho Punch

Hey... there is, like, a playable demo of Jungle Bros.

You could, I don't know, might be too crazy but... all this talk about losing all the hard work that went into code and assets and- you know what nevermind.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

CrackTiger

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 12/20/2015, 03:58 PMHey... there is, like, a playable demo of Jungle Bros.

You could, I don't know, might be too crazy but... all this talk about losing all the hard work that went into code and assets and- you know what nevermind.
It's not my place to make it available, but I understand both why others may not want to make an early build publicly available, as well as why it would be a cool demo for people to try out.

lord_cack

The playable Demo is great fun but not reflective of the current games build. I would call it an Alpha build, but its still pretty nice.

What I would say though is I would like to see how the revitalizing of the game goes and if it becomes an active project again then we could release an accurate Demo. Especially since I had a very specific Demo for the game in mind.....

Mathius

If anyone would like to borrow the official "demo" (the alpha build mentioned above) they are welcome to it as long as you are an established member here.

CrackTiger

The true demo that was being worked on was exclusive content, although potentially unlockable in the full game. It really would be the best way for everyone to be introduced to the game. So if a programmer is going to start working on the game again soon, then it would be best to finish off the demo and release that instead of that alpha stage.

lord_cack

ParanoiaDragon

L to the C is alive!!  Yeah, I'm still down to finish the soundtrack, especially if it's a Turbob game.  I just can't get excited about a PC game.  However, I must finish my Mega Man soundtrack first, before I finish up JB.  I'm not super far from finishing it, & I'm totally in a Mega Man mode, so that's one thing I have to do.  I just wish I hadn't lost the remix I was working on of OD's JB boss theme, that was definitely a bummer.
IMG

TurboXray

Looks like things are starting to roll :)

Mathius

Well thanks to whoever it was who reignited the thread! :D

lord_cack

Quote from: Mathius on 12/22/2015, 07:01 PMWell thanks to whoever it was who reignited the thread! :D
You and me both Mathius, you and me both

OldRover

I sent the original source code over to le Bonknutz. Will be nice to see this project finished by someone with more capable coding skill than me.

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 12/29/2015, 09:39 AMI sent the original source code over to le Bonknutz. Will be nice to see this project finished by someone with more capable coding skill than me.
Shush.

Lucretia will be amazing.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: OldRover on 12/29/2015, 09:39 AMI sent the original source code over to le Bonknutz. Will be nice to see this project finished by someone with more capable coding skill than me.
You crazy, you got skillz, deny it you shall not!
IMG

OldRover

My expertise is in game systems... developing gameplay mechanics, state machines, things like that. It takes a low-level programming expert like Bonknuts to make a game like this work properly on the PCE. Code optimization ain't mah thang... I'm just a game designer who happens to know a bit about coding is all.

TurboXray

Quote from: OldRover on 12/30/2015, 08:42 AMMy expertise is in game systems... developing gameplay mechanics, state machines, things like that. It takes a low-level programming expert like Bonknuts to make a game like this work properly on the PCE. Code optimization ain't mah thang... I'm just a game designer who happens to know a bit about coding is all.
And I'm not a game designer. The best I can do is imitate somethings, but game design itself not my thing. I always felt more comfortable with a gamer designer in charge of that department, while I handled coding and such.

lord_cack

Quote from: OldRover on 12/30/2015, 08:42 AMMy expertise is in game systems... developing gameplay mechanics, state machines, things like that. It takes a low-level programming expert like Bonknuts to make a game like this work properly on the PCE. Code optimization ain't mah thang... I'm just a game designer who happens to know a bit about coding is all.
Quote from: TurboXray on 12/30/2015, 09:30 AM
And I'm not a game designer. The best I can do is imitate somethings, but game design itself not my thing. I always felt more comfortable with a gamer designer in charge of that department, while I handled coding and such.
Well, lets hope this works out then, not sure I qualify as a game designer

lord_cack

That's curious, posted two quote....

TurboXray

Thanks to Rov, we've got things started - and a working build. I've been analyzing the source, structure, and crunching some numbers to see what's feasible and would could be optimized. What compression schemes would be applicable in realtime, compressing the tilemap stuff (again, for fast decompression). Things like that.

esteban

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/18/2016, 02:57 PMThanks to Rov, we've got things started - and a working build. I've been analyzing the source, structure, and crunching some numbers to see what's feasible and would could be optimized. What compression schemes would be applicable in realtime, compressing the tilemap stuff (again, for fast decompression). Things like that.
Excellent.

Mathius

lord_cack

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

TurboXray

Mathius

HailingTheThings

O O
\ ( o Y o ) /
IMG

Keranu

Signed the contract. I'm back on board on this bitch 8)
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

esteban

Quote from: Keranu on 01/26/2016, 05:12 AMSigned the contract. I'm back on board on this bitch 8)
Who are you? :)

CrackTiger

I love how Keranu can go MIA for a year or two, but still has 9000 posts. :P

I hope that the special preview stage gets made.

TurboXray

I'm gonna let lord_cack handle the PR stuffs and updates ;)

Mathius

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 01/26/2016, 11:49 AMI love how Keranu can go MIA for a year or two, but still has 9000 posts. :P
Literally lol'd at this
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Keranu on 01/26/2016, 09:48 PM
Quote from: guest on 01/26/2016, 11:49 AMI love how Keranu can go MIA for a year or two, but still has 9000 posts. :P
Literally lol'd at this
Yikes, K back from the dead! :)
IMG