10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Cover Art PCE vs Turbo Grafx (Image Heavy)

Started by SuperPlay, 04/29/2011, 03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrush

It's really interesting to see the Sherlock Holmes art compared; as is often the case, I like the Japanese version a lot better.  Although not perfect, it looks classy and reminds me of the books; the American cover looks gimmicky in comparison.

I admit I have a soft spot for the American Bonk's Revenge cover, though....  ^^

JoshTurboTrollX

IMG

I actually always liked the US box art.  They did a good job on the font, looks classy.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

thrush

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 08/22/2011, 04:47 PMThey did a good job on the font, looks classy.
I agree with that part, the font & titling is very cool.  I just don't care for the arrangement of "props" in the illustration or the inset screen shot.  To me, it looks less like a cover and more like an advert.

But, to each his own!

CrackTiger

I didn't have a positive reaction to the PCE cover of Shermatlock the first time I saw it, but the Turbo version is as professional as games received bitd.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Senshi

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/30/2011, 05:39 PMThe US version of Davis Cup has the rare privilege of having its cover drawn by an genuinely skilled artist. This is very uncommon with TG-16 releases. Its so overly wrought though. It looks like the dude (is his name Davis?) is saying, "Get this gerbil out of my ass!" or something like that.
LOL...I can't tell whether he won or failed miserably
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

JoshTurboTrollX

look I contribute: Final Zone II

IMG
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Keranu

Quote from: thrush on 08/25/2011, 01:09 AM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 08/22/2011, 04:47 PMThey did a good job on the font, looks classy.
I agree with that part, the font & titling is very cool.  I just don't care for the arrangement of "props" in the illustration or the inset screen shot.  To me, it looks less like a cover and more like an advert.

But, to each his own!
Agreed. Great observation on the font, JoshTurboTrollX-16! I never realized how cool it actually is!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

ccovell

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 08/25/2011, 02:50 PMIMG
Conversation in the hallways of NEC USA:

"Look, with the Turbo CD line of games, we're trying to convey more power, more music, higher energy!  So, when you're drawing the Final Zone II cover, this time I want you to... use a lot more pencil crayons than usual!"

Joe Redifer

Wow, I'm not sure which Final Zone 2 cover I dislike more.  The US one is bad for clearly obvious reasons, but the JP one is rather bland with lots of muted colors.  It would be better if it were in black and white.  Also, different artwork would help.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/25/2011, 09:05 PMWow, I'm not sure which Final Zone 2 cover I dislike more.  The US one is bad for clearly obvious reasons, but the JP one is rather bland with lots of muted colors.  It would be better if it were in black and white.  Also, different artwork would help.
Yeah, maybe it's the colors, but I don't like the Jp version either, but, in general, it's probably better then the US version I guess.  :/
IMG

Tatsujin

Even the japanese one doesn't win any awards for the best cover ever, compared to its US counterpart it still is uncountable lightyears ahead.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NecroPhile

I prefer the US version of Final Zone II - just because its cheese and sucktitude matches the gameplay better. 

* slap *
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

spenoza

Final Zone II is not good. Neither cover is impressive at all. They both utterly fail, but for very different reasons.

Keranu

I always loved the Japanese Final Zone II cover. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention, I haven't seen it in years.

There's something magically dorky about the US cover that brings a smile to the heart :) .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

SignOfZeta

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 08/25/2011, 02:50 PMlook I contribute:
Final Zone II
Oh my shit. Talk about the utter encapsulation of what sucked about the TG-16. I know I said that about the Valis game with the tranny barbarian on the cover, but...here it is again. I also have vague memories of this game having the worst dub of all time.

Since I'm not one of those age of post-irony hipster douchebags that can only appreciate something if its a complete failure, I have no admiration, respect, desire, nostalgia whatever for US Final Zone II. Its just plain sucks.

Oh, the man hours that went into making this and other TG-16 titles suck more...what sort of internal denial issues these hacks must have had to develop in order to sleep at night? I mean, US Cosmic Fantasy II. That one is especially baffling because the IIRC the CD art is original Japanese and looks pretty good. The actual cover they used for the outside though is vomit inducing. One theory that has been posited before is that US publishers might not have had access to original art. In the case of CF2 though its obvious that they did, and for some reason paid money (obviously not a lot) to make a garbage cover.

Maybe there is some 80s era NEC style document that says, "When designing covers for TG-16™ games, please refrain from any obviously "manga-influenced" art, as it might not play well in Oklahoma or South Dakota, where it might be interpreted as "some ching chong kong bullshit". Its has to be racism/xenophobia or fear of racism/xenophobia because you have to be aesthetically retarded to the max to prefer some of these US covers.
IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/28/2011, 11:14 AMMaybe there is some 80s era NEC style document that says, "When designing covers for TG-16™ games, please refrain from any obviously "manga-influenced" art, as it might not play well in Oklahoma or South Dakota, where it might be interpreted as "some ching chong kong bullshit".
rolfmaol'd so hard right now :lol:
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

CrackTiger

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/28/2011, 11:14 AMOh, the man hours that went into making this and other TG-16 titles suck more...what sort of internal denial issues these hacks must have had to develop in order to sleep at night? I mean, US Cosmic Fantasy II. That one is especially baffling because the IIRC the CD art is original Japanese and looks pretty good. The actual cover they used for the outside though is vomit inducing. One theory that has been posited before is that US publishers might not have had access to original art. In the case of CF2 though its obvious that they did, and for some reason paid money (obviously not a lot) to make a garbage cover.
Cosmic Fantasy 2 makes some sense in that they obviously just wanted their games to fit in with the Turbo library. Thankfully, they stuck to Japanese art with their Sega-CD releases. :)
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Paul

I really dig this thread! Japanese PCE artwork is all over the TG 16 ones.. A Huge example for me is Tiger Road:

PCE v US
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Paul on 08/28/2011, 09:34 PMI really dig this thread! Japanese PCE artwork is all over the TG 16 ones.. A Huge example for me is Tiger Road:

PCE v US
IMG
Krillin with a spear for the win!
IMG

SuperPlay

Updated main page:

Double Dungeons

Final Zone II (PCE Pic htp://pcengine.co.uk)

Tora He No Michi / Tiger Road (TG16 Pic htp://pcengine.co.uk)

SuperPlay

Added PC Genjin / Bonks Adventure

SuperPlay

Also fixed the link to Veigues Tactical Gladiator

allyourblood

Quote from: Paul on 08/28/2011, 09:34 PMI really dig this thread! Japanese PCE artwork is all over the TG 16 ones.. A Huge example for me is Tiger Road
Yup, Tiger Road is one of my most hated Turbo covers, not even counting the PCE version. What is with those weird, awkward, 2D pencil drawings for 80s and 90s US games? Where were they finding all these terrible artists?

That said, I actually do prefer a few of the US covers, including Chew Man Fu (I've just always really liked this one), as well as the 2 Bonk covers, which I think both look great. However, Bonk's Revenge always kinda looked like Bonk was smashing an innocent dinosaur.
If anyone gets any leads on a "fair priced" copy of Coryoon, please lemme know!

Where is fancy bred?

SuperPlay

Added:

Shadow of the Beast

Space Harrier

Victory Run

Retrocool

Great thread.. I've always thought that cover art can always give a boost into buying a game.  If I saw the cover of Final Zone 2.. i would have purchased it right there and then because that art is SWEET looking.

The same with Silent Debuggers (tho game is ok) It looks like 2 bad @$$'s about to kick some butt with its Halo Looking self..LOL
It is what it is and it will be what it will be!

Looking for some games, but I will prolly never find.  Sapphire, Magical Chase (US)

esteban

I just want to (repeat myself) and say that I love the side-by-side comparisons all conveniently located in one thread. I still feel that VALIS II is one of the most egregious examples of things going wrong.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SuperPlay

Updated with DeadMoon.  I have a few days off so I will get some more added :@)

ccovell

Hmm... both Dead Moons look amateurish, but at least the US version has a cool planet backdrop with awesome 80s glam/prog rock/Amiga demo (circle one) chrome game logo.  The JP one is just shitty.

SignOfZeta

Victory Run (JP) is one of the coolest covers in the history of games.
IMG

SuperPlay

SuperPlay

Added Magical Saurus Tour / Magical Dinosaur Tour

Ji-L87

I can understand why the anime-ish ones might've been troublesome, but I can't help to be curious why anyone ever felt the need to "improve" upon the awesome cover arts from games like Nectaris, R-type, Veigues and such? : //

How does something like that even pass quality control?
If there ever was such a thing, that is.

I dunno I just..getting into the PCE now, I don't have any nostalgic feelings for the TG16 ones, just shock, horror and confusion  8-[
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

ccovell

Believe me, we were all shocked and horrified back in 1989 by these covers too.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: ccovell on 12/27/2011, 06:22 PMBelieve me, we were all shocked and horrified back in 1989 by these covers too.
You and I, yes, but reading this forum I have learned that there are people who prefer the shitty art. Either it's some sort of retarded nostalgia/Stockholm Syndrome, or they get a bigger kick out of laughing at shit that sucks than they do out of something that's competently made. Note how almost every TG16 release goes for more than the equivalent PCE version, even if there is zero language barrier. Some people just like crap.
IMG

SuperPlay

Added:

Dragon Slayer
Neutopia
Pomping World / Buster Bros.
Prince of Persia
Tricky / Tricky Kick

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/27/2011, 08:32 PM
Quote from: ccovell on 12/27/2011, 06:22 PMBelieve me, we were all shocked and horrified back in 1989 by these covers too.
You and I, yes, but reading this forum I have learned that there are people who prefer the shitty art. Either it's some sort of retarded nostalgia/Stockholm Syndrome, or they get a bigger kick out of laughing at shit that sucks than they do out of something that's competently made. Note how almost every TG16 release goes for more than the equivalent PCE version, even if there is zero language barrier. Some people just like crap.
I don't know. You do not have to think of it as a zero-sum game. I used to despise the choices made by companies when they localized/marketed the games, but I have since realized that there is a different way for us (fans) to approach localization/marketing, a more constructive approach that simply suggests:

(A) the North American TG-16 experience is unique and not simply a carbon-copy of Japan;
(B) our enjoyment of TG-16/PCE can become richer when we embrace (A)

Don't believe me?

See (C) Europe, which was ignored and had to rely on PCE imports exclusively.

As a kid, (C) is the least desirable (you are an orphan, utterly neglected by parent company).

Briefly, the tenets:

(1) Even as kids in the 80's, we understood the motivations for localization/marketing. We endured many  misguided/pathetic attempts by companies to win the hearts and minds of "key demographics". We shook our heads, shrugged our shoulders, and wondered when things would change.

(2) We understood (no internet! limited information!) that the original Japanese cover art was probably superior to the third-rate illustrations featured on North American titles.

(3) In a moment of clarity, we realized that North American localizations, no matter how pathetic/lame, provided a creamy, rich layer of frosting on the chocolate cake of our fandom. The cover art is another layer for us to explore on our archeological digs. Savor history, a forkful at a time.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

roflmao

SuperPlay

Added:

Aero Blasters
Balistix
Gunhed
PC Denjin

Credit and thanks to henrycsc for the Turbo Covers :@)

SuperPlay

Bomberman

Bomberman 93

Cadash

Sohko Ban World / Box Boy

PC Genjin 3 / Bonk 3

Credit and thanks to henrycsc for the Turbo Covers :@)

SuperPlay

henrycsc

I'll get you some more soon.
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

SuperPlay

I have the following on the way:

Galaga 90
Air zonk
Deep blue
Power golf
China warrior
Fantasy zone

SuperPlay

Added a few more today:

* Deep Blue
* Fantasy Zone
* Galaga '88 / Galaga '90
* Kung Fu / China Warrior
* Power Golf

henrycsc has also sent me over a pile of turbo scans (thanks again), so I will up these soon! :@)

SuperPlay

Added:

Adventure Island / Dragons Curse

Chase HQ

Cotton

Devil Crash / Devil Crush

Credit to henrycsc for the Turbo Cover Scans

SignOfZeta

You need to get Cosmic Fantasy 2 up here. That thing is insane.
IMG

RegalSin

Being a trained designer, when the people were making these games, from their native nations, they knew what they were doing.

However when the games crossed over, they handed the original artwork, to the designer ( illustrator, font person ) and ask them to come up with something.

Lords of thunder for instant. The Japanese one wanted to give more detail to the artwork, and left the title is small fine print. Most Japanese works do this on purpose. I am not going into the cultural aspects of the typeface. The USA version instead used the music from the game itself to make a big impression on the consumer. They wanted the consumer to feel they were buying Metal, or some other related form of music when they brought this game. However they also wanted the advertise the DUO.

With Megaman, Rock was like Rap during the early 1990's, and the game also sent of negative messages, as well as positive for those people into Metal ( I am assuming ).

Sherlock Holmes on the other hand, was just Sherlock homles so the person whom they paid to the cover art
did not really have any idea of what the game was about. The question is the usage of the colorfull graphics as with the FMV games for the DUO. While green means creepy and spooky, it is not a serious color. The Japanese version used an victorian style cover most likely. Note they do not show the actors face on the cover for the obvious reason.

Final Zone US.......was never taken serious to begin with. The US cover just reminds me of US animations where they had armor and helmet that made no sense.
The Japanese cover shows the characters who are part of the story, while the US cover makes the expression that their is going to be alot of violent activity. It looks like an advertisment for a G.I. Joe toy line up. Everything on that cover is kill, kill instead of story.

Monster lair ( the position of the typeface ) looks like once again they were having too much fun, or did not take the game seriously. The characters are drawn as dwalfs, while the monkeys are drawn realistic. Then they also make the girl role be stereotypical, while
The snake has a bit of Peter Griffon in him. The artwork looks well done but the feeling of the game is missing.
Both hides the fact they are shooters.

Valis just shows an typical American woman, like "Ghost Lion" posing, being smirky looking. Then it advertise,
ooooooohhhhhheeee cut scenes!!!. Also the woman is oldish looking ( like 20+ ) while Valis was a young adult.
That could be a young adult ( a very healthy, and tall young adult ). But otherwise it gives the same message as Lord Of Thunder font.

Dragon Curse font is not taken seriously. They pretty much give away the game, and tries to be as realistic DAD looking as possible.

Aero Blasters do not even focus on the characters.
It is all about the planes.

Alien Crush matches the font of the Turbo Grafx logo.
It looks okay. The Japanese one, looks more ancient time or serious. Note the "Alien" alien heads in the artwork. I like this one actually. Stupid but it works.

Ballistik they just moved around typeface.

Chew-Man-Fu is point is completly destroyed. I do not even get that. It looks like some sorta game of Chinese Checkers. Biggest waste of money for an artist.

Bomberman looks good eitherway. The original makes a statement about begining bomberman series. 93, makes a statment about all the blow-up fun ( note the US version looks like laser tag ).

US chase HQ domminates the Japanese one.

Bravoman Japan, looks normal, and makes the statement about Harry Truman, desiguised as a bombing
maniac. US game makes him look like a typical standard stereotypical small private area assault bag. In general they said "punch the druggie small private area man". Little boys will be safe from a world of weirdos who grow their hair out, especailly druggie small private me.
That is what I am assuming, which is kinda sad.

The Davis cup is pretty intresting. The JAP one, basically showed energy ( which was/is a common art style for sports images ) while the US one shows victory dance ( which is then infused in the minds of men ).

Dead Moon was perfect, then they drew skellenton hands in the corner.

Deep Blue is reasonable, the JAP one has a nice calm typeface, that shows a dramatic encounter. The US one is like ( oh yeah a shooter, look fishes ). See the way the JAP type plays with water as well.

Devel Crash/Crush More Celtic crap in the US version but more serious and pinballish in the JAP. Both are reasonable.

Who the hell is Doremon...says the US game. Doremon is doing his typical time travel gig.

Double Dungeon........hmm IDK. JAP is serious, with the stereotypical DAD dragon. US is playing around with the title.

Dragon Spirit. Again more play in the US art. Type matches the Turbo logo. However I really love the art.
JAP is all about the story.

Dungeon Explorer......is the same thing as Double Dungeon, but the US cover art could even be for a childrens book.

Fantasy Zone JAP looks like a drugged up world. Which it is sappose to be. Explains where SEGA got it's name from. It is even dramatic, and life like. The US game looks like NES art cover.

Galaga is blasted screen shot.

Gunhed dominates Blazing Lazers. It was a nice try, but you can see the scematics of the actual ship, while the other one looks like an arcade cab art from the 1970's.
Seriously the JAP game had love pured into it. They do not even draw the ship right on the US cover. Star Soilder would murder Blazing lasers.

Boxing. Earlier I mentioned the popularity of energy in sports art? Look at the typeface, see something serious. Then the US version is like.....nicely drawn but they look like stiff dolls. Why do we even need to see them smile at each other, they look like they are practicing Yoga. Then they are just tooooo strong looking as well.

The Turbo Casino wins. Looking at it, makes me want to play. At least we know one thing US knowns for sure. JAP version looks like "Oh that C-A-sinooo, not Pachinko" Seriously Pachinko palors all over the place, and that is all you have to show.

I am not even going to talk about the Kung-FU. Same nonsense. The artist do not even know what martial arts is. "Lemon knee kickk!!" ( in a high pitch voice I go ), to bald army man.

Legendary Axe is perfect asides for the Spiders head, and one of the arms is bigger then the other. The turbo type kills.

Magical Saurus Tour / Magical Dinosaur Tour meh....
They had tons of these games. I even have one of these types of games. It had nice comic book artwork.

Cevtarius wins. MMadness nice art but missing point.
Look at the seriousness, it looks like a film cover.

Neutopia has more Ish, Celtic, crap. Looks like two differnt games. Ohee look shiney armor type. Note the serifs, are an odd-shape. I forget where those are from.

Both Air-Zonk points to Astro-boy.

PCrock/Boink, PC-rock looks like Bomberman LETS PARTY!!! while Boink looks like the standard cave-man flinstones thing to do. Both are doable. However typeface seems to change with Boink.

Pomping world ( one of my favorite games ), they had a picture perfect cover and just took that perfect away. They did not even bother to add anything. So much could have been done. Their is no videogames in USA.
I mean god almighty, why limit the artwork.

Boxxel is boxxel, I can't arugue but at least the JAP game has some nice art work going.

Silent Debuggers had a story going on in the JAP game.
The US game makes no-sense. Just kill kill monster, monster. I asume kill is associated with monster.

Lord of the Rising Sun, is a complete kill. If a real Japanese person with historic information would complain.

R-type is meh... I do not care, because it is Alien mockup.
IMGIMG

SignOfZeta

You bring up an interesting point: the tendency for Japanese cover art designers to show a different aspect of the game. My favorite example of this is the King of Fighters 98 Neo Geo cart. It's litterally the cast of the game, many of them mortal enemies, hanging out at a party. The entire game is nothing but fighting. The cover is the only chance they had to show some other side to these people, and it goes a long way. KOF has always been as much about character design and story as fighting, and the cover really pulls in SNK fans. They see that and think, "Heh, what would Mary say to Iori by the poolside? That shit is crazy."
IMG

SuperPlay

SignOfZeta, just for you ;-)

Cosmic Fantasy 2
Cyber Core
Drop Rock Hora Hora / Drop Off
YS III

RegalSin quite a write up :@)

nat

Quote from: SuperPlay on 04/29/2011, 03:18 PMBomberman (TG16 Pic henrycsc)

IMG
I wish I could find the thread from like 5 years ago when we dissected that U.S. Bomberman cover image. That thread was pure gold, IIRC.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: SuperPlay on 02/04/2012, 04:17 PMSignOfZeta, just for you ;-)

Cosmic Fantasy 2
Wait, I'm remembering a piece of really horrible art for CF2, although I also remember what you posted. Am I maybe remembering the box, or the manual? I remember it being absolute shit, but the CD art being original Telnet stuff.

I don't own this game anymore, can someone refresh my memory? Maybe it was the back insert that was bad?
IMG