10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Am I the only one who did NOT know this??

Started by MotherGunner, 10/10/2013, 02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotherGunner

Deep Purple's "Burn" is the same as Alien Crush "Lunar Eclipse" theme.   ](*,)
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

roflmao

ccovell

And also the original Zelda tunes were copied from a single song: Deep Purple's April.

( Deep Purple-April )

esteban

Comrade, you are not the only clueless bastard here. 

I had no idea!

I recall reading something about Deep Purple + Zelda, but, to be honest, it must quickly evaporated from my ever-drying brain.

UPDATE: Call me crazy, but I feel that the tune from BLOODY WOLF is an even closer match to Deep Purple's Burn.

I gotta find a video to link to...

UPDATE: OK, I guess I'm wrong; I thought a tune in Bloody Wolf matched with "Burn"...but I can't find it.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

spenoza

OK, I'm hearing some similarities, but nothing at all I would consider "taken from". The best I can manage is that MAYBE, just maybe these songs inspired some of the video game tunes.

Robocop2

Well I think we can all agree both Deep Purple and Alien Crush are awesome...

CrackTiger

I believe that Download has music from Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and other bands. I think that Gomola Speed is the other game with familiar sounding tracks.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/13/2013, 01:00 AMI believe that Download has music from Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and other bands. I think that Gomola Speed is the other game with familiar sounding tracks.
Dude! Will you have time to create an audio/video comparison piece? THAT WOULD BE AWESOME.

Or, if you're too busy, provide the track titles so someone can create a comparison.

I have to look in my ancient notes because I know I found a few interesting similarities (probably just coincidence, but it's fun) over the years. I had a notebook from 10+ years ago that I can't find (it really irks me)...but I know at least 2-3 PCE games were in my notes.

TheClash603

I never knew about this Depp Purple Zelda copy until now.

I was thinking, "this is only kinda sorta a copy."  Then the dungeon music popped up and it was blatant.  I am actually pretty floored by this!

The Burn thing is also pretty cool, but the fact one of the most iconic soundtracks in video game history is essentially a cover is really blowing my mind.

esteban

Quote from: TheClash603 on 10/13/2013, 03:12 PMI never knew about this Depp Purple Zelda copy until now.

I was thinking, "this is only kinda sorta a copy."  Then the dungeon music popped up and it was blatant.  I am actually pretty floored by this!

The Burn thing is also pretty cool, but the fact one of the most iconic soundtracks in video game history is essentially a cover is really blowing my mind.
Yup, same feeling here  :pcgs:

Sparky

Had no clue and playing alien crushie ASAP to compare :)

kiketonto

Neither do I! So, no, you are not the one and only

ParanoiaDragon

Not Turbo related, but I've always felt the menu screen theme from Lucienne's Quest sounded like the Simpsons theme!  This is the only video I could find at the moment
Lucienne's Quest (3DO) -001- Pinakoteik to Colony (1/2)

Here's a video from the Jp version, plays a different part of it
IMG

MotherGunner

Quote from: guest on 10/13/2013, 01:00 AMI believe that Download has music from Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and other bands. I think that Gomola Speed is the other game with familiar sounding tracks.
Well we do know Judas Priest and Balistix are forever connected (Along with the Book:  The Steel Tsar)

=)

IMG
-MG

seieienbu

SHOCK!

Somewhat related, the Metal Gear Solid theme was lifted from a Russian symphonic composer Svidirov.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

MotherGunner

Quote from: seieienbu on 10/29/2013, 04:26 PMSHOCK!

Somewhat related, the Metal Gear Solid theme was lifted from a Russian symphonic composer Svidirov.
Very Nice, I had no idea!
-MG

MotherGunner

Necro Bump!  Ken's Theme is from TopGun, but everyone knew that!
-MG

NightWolve

BigusSchmuck

I'm pretty sure everyone knows the Ys4 boss music is almost directly ripped from Far Beyond The Sun - Yngwie Malmsteen.

NightWolve

Oh wow! As someone in the Youtube comments mentioned, what best describes Ryo's arrangement to it ? Ripped, inspired, influenced, plagiarized, honored ?? Heh.

seieienbu

My second not Turbo related post in this thread but Rock Howard's stage from Mark of the Wolves pretty blatantly stole this from Robert Miles:

CrackTiger

Zero4Champ uses the Final Fantasy victory bgm.

Jim Power rips off at least one Ys III track.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

RyuHayabusa

The second part from the intro of Ninja Gaiden sounds a bit like April from Deep Purple too.

EvilEvoIX

IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 03/25/2015, 01:43 PMZero4Champ uses the Final Fantasy victory bgm.

Jim Power rips off at least one Ys III track.
Yeah, I recall reading an interview years ago, & he said something about how much he loved the Lava theme in Ys 3.
IMG

slinkyturd

I was just humming a tune in my head that I stole from a fart I had last week. Does that count?
70/95 US Turbochips

MotherGunner

"Depends"...did you gamble on these farts and lose?
-MG

_Paul

esteban

^ Ha! I never made the connection to Sabbath. That was a surprise, because as soon as I started the first video, it was instantly recognizable. Once the suggestion was made, it was clear that this was no coincidence.

ccovell

Tecmo was guilty of this several times.  For example, Raiga's "Kartus":
Raiga - Strato Fighter: "Kartus"

and EL&P's Tarkus.
Tarkus - Emerson, Lake & Palmer [1971] (HD)

esteban

^ I appreciate that the letters in "Tarkus" were simply re-arranged to create the song title "Kartus"...this is, clearly, a nod in the right direction. An acknowledgement, however obscure.

CrackTiger

vacantplanets

I love this stuff.

Gate of Thunder Stage 6 has a part in the solo taken from Rainbow's A Light in the Black.
Lords of Thunder Dezant sounds like Rainbow's Gates of Babylon.
Gate of Thunder Stage 1 has a part that sounds like Deep Purple's Highway Star. ("I love it and I need it")
Oh and Deep Purple's Burn also seems to be Flame Stag from Mega Man X2. Burn, flame...
Haha, can anyone point me to the music appreciation thread here? SAPPHIRE'S MUSIC IS AWESOME!
I'd rather be playing guitar or listening to a PC Engine CD soundtrack.

Currently playing PC Engine, Saturn, and SNES MSU1.

CPTBadAss

I only got to play Gates of Thunder for a few minutes at MGC but I knew I loved that soundtrack for a reason. Great comparisons vacantplanets! I need to get a cd attachment and that game  now!
Maximum Output. Activate the pit.

grendelrt

Quote from: CPTBadAss on 05/08/2015, 08:35 AMI only got to play Gates of Thunder for a few minutes at MGC but I knew I loved that soundtrack for a reason. Great comparisons vacantplanets! I need to get a cd attachment and that game  now!
Still two of my favorite soundtracks like 20 years later.  What I wouldn't give for a third game.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: grendelrt on 05/08/2015, 11:03 AMStill two of my favorite soundtracks like 20 years later.  What I wouldn't give for a third game.
I like the soundtrack to Lords of Thunder a tad more but both are fantastic.
--DragonmasterDan

EvilEvoIX

It's always great to see where these musical influence coming from.  Sometimes so obscure and it makes its way into a massive Video Game Music Hit.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

CrackTiger

Quote from: vacantplanets on 05/08/2015, 08:03 AMLords of Thunder Dezant sounds like Rainbow's Gates of Babylon.
Although that is pretty close and does seem to be the "inspiration", the Dezant bgm also happens to sound similar to the Attacker song "Lords of Thunder". :P
The Winds of Thunder logo also uses the same blue/yellow metallic style as the album that track is from.

IMGIMG

ParanoiaDragon

I always considered Stage 6 of Gate of Thunder
Being inspired by Blazing Lazers Stage 9
IMG

CAPSLOCK

I love this thread! Very cool stuff.

seieienbu

The theme of Tusk in KI2 seemed to take a page out of the soundtrack to Conan the Destroyer.

Arjak

The Treasure Chest theme from the early Ys games may have been ripped off from Metroid. Seriously, listen to the 'Got Item' jingle from that series. It's almost identical!
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

seieienbu

Quote from: Arjak on 05/17/2015, 01:03 PMThe Treasure Chest theme from the early Ys games may have been ripped off from Metroid. Seriously, listen to the 'Got Item' jingle from that series. It's almost identical!
I've noticed that myself!  Though very similar, they aren't exactly the same and I don't think that either one stole from the other but that they're just similar.  Zelda 2's item-get theme also sounds in line with the other two, give it a listen in case you haven't in a few years.

MotherGunner

Call me crazy, but I feel that the Plains song in Shadow of the Beast was at least inspired by DOA's You Spin Me Round...
-MG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: MotherGunner on 06/05/2015, 11:45 AMCall me crazy, but I feel that the Plains song in Altered Beast was at least inspired by DOA's You Spin Me Round...
You mean Shadow of the Beast
--DragonmasterDan

MotherGunner

-MG

martinine

I did know, but now I see why I love the music from all the aforementioned games!
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

ccovell

Necro-post!

The Game Over jingle in Alien Crush sounds a lot like the ending to Stairway to Heaven.

[edit] .... or maybe the end to House of the Rising Sun by the Animals.

Or if anybody can find a classic rock song that matches this jingle better, please let us know.