RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

A realistic approach - Community driven pressed CDs

Started by bartre, 12/14/2014, 10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bartre

So, Tobias has started with this whole PC engine boxset business.
conveniently enough, Google helped me find several places online that can do commercial pressings of CDs, along with many packaging options.
I know this has been discussed before (almost endlessly so), but who would be interested in getting some repros pressed? What games?

I'd be willing to take the duty of dealing with whatever company, as well as all the money handling.

here's the guidelines I'm thinking
1. If using some kind of patch (Ys IV dub, for example), we must get permission from the patch creator, and follow whatever terms they wish.
2. I'm not looking to make much money, if at all. These would be essentially cost + shipping + ~$1-2 for my time.

So my ideas for games-
Ys IV w/ patch(my big pick)
Dracula X w/ patch
pretty much any of the crazy high $$$ games (DEII, for example)

slinkyturd

Finances permitting and if it were cost efficient, I'd be interested.
70/95 US Turbochips

Nemo

I'd definitely go for stuff like Ys IV and Beyond Shadowgate, something about Drac X just doesn't sit well with me though. Maybe it's because Konami actually still releases games in the US, actually cares about the Castlevania series, and has re-released this game in the US already (PSP).
/jt13pz9.gif

Duo_R

Like to see what the translators say, if they are good I am game!
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

seieienbu

If you're going to do this, you should make them distinguishable at a glance from the originals.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

CrackTiger

Quote from: Duo_R on 12/15/2014, 03:02 AMLike to see what the translators say, if they are good I am game!
The key member of the Drac X translation and Ys IV dub portion has made it very clear that he is not game and will never do another PC Engine project if you guys do this.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

bartre

Quote from: guest on 12/15/2014, 09:19 AM
Quote from: Duo_R on 12/15/2014, 03:02 AMLike to see what the translators say, if they are good I am game!
The key member of the Drac X translation and Ys IV dub portion has made it very clear that he is not game and will never do another PC Engine project if you guys do this.
Is that burnt lasagna? or nightwolve?
I had not heard that.....

bartre

hmm...
if that is indeed the case, i might leave the dub alone.
the text patch was entirely a separate project though, correct? was that nightwolve?

NecroPhile

I'm pro booties for cheaps.  One of these days I'll get Motteke Tamago done, then Space Fantasy Zone if someone makes tunes for it, but dealing with a certain pressing house is like getting a root canal - slow and painful.

I recall Nightwolve being okay with booties of his work for non-profit.  He even said he'd be willing to help with a separate dub using peeps that aren't anti-booty.

Quote from: Nulltard on 12/15/2014, 08:00 AMI think the best way to go about it would be to have the high-res print-ready graphic files freely available for download, and accompany it with a list of good print shops for the paper wares and discs.
Discs too?  Nobody will do one off pressed discs for cheap (the test discs are $250 and I doubt they'd do them without a full order), and ordering bulk discs doesn't save much money.  It's maybe half the cost, but that works out to $1 per copy, which is less than the cost of a jewel case, ink, and glossy paper to do it yourself and a tenth the cost of having it printed at a pro shop.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jlued686

It's the translations that are most appealing to me. Or the hard-to-find Japanese stuff. But if we did group-buys for translations, yes, we should get permission from those who did it.

Although, and maybe I'm crazy here, but if we did this for non-profit...what's the objection? I mean, I guess some a-hole could turn around and try to re-sell it for stupid cash on eBay. But, I don't see how a small group of fans wanting a physical copy of the game is any different than making a CDR of it.

I'm just curious to know what the big issue is.

NecroPhile

If I recall correctly, BL was worried about pissing off the original IP owners and having his name attached to it, which honestly doesn't make much sense to me.  If they even give a shit at all, they're gonna be pissed about the copying itself and not the patch, and the translator peeps don't have to be involved at all with the copying.

bartre

okay, i sent PMs to nightwolve and burntlasagna; so we'll wait for their word before getting too deep there.
with Ys IV, i know that there is already a translated artset out there, does anyone happen to have it or know who made it?

and again, does anyone have experience with any CD pressing companies?

jlued686

Quote from: Nulltard on 12/15/2014, 11:50 AMIf another dub was to be made, and Nightwolve and the voice actors gave their blessing, this would be awesome.  In fact, re-doing the voice acting probably would be a good idea.  haha, nothing against the original actors... i couldn't do better, but, the US dub for Ys IV is closer to Ys III than it is to I & II.  Also, I'd still like to see the art / image released free for download so there will be competition in the boot seller marketplace. 
Or just subtitle the thing and be done with it.

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: bartre on 12/15/2014, 11:52 AMokay, i sent PMs to nightwolve and burntlasagna; so we'll wait for their word before getting too deep there.
Hey, got your pm.
Not exactly sure what else to say, but I believe I've stated what I feel about pressing discs with the dub on it.

I don't like them.

I get allot of flack for that stance, but I simply don't like hobby projects that I worked on being put out on bootleg discs.
I understand people want something "official-esque" to hold onto, however, I believe that's what the Japanese copy should be for.
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 12/15/2014, 01:15 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/15/2014, 11:50 AMIf another dub was to be made, and Nightwolve and the voice actors gave their blessing, this would be awesome.  In fact, re-doing the voice acting probably would be a good idea.  haha, nothing against the original actors... i couldn't do better, but, the US dub for Ys IV is closer to Ys III than it is to I & II.  Also, I'd still like to see the art / image released free for download so there will be competition in the boot seller marketplace.
Or just subtitle the thing and be done with it.
I thought due to memory restraints this wasn't possible?

esteban

Q: Does anyone here want to see future Japanese-to-English language dubs?

A: I do.

If you do, too, you will listen to Burnt Lasagna when HE PLAINLY STATES HE IS OPPOSED TO REPRODUCTIONS (pressed CDs) for fan projects he is involved in.

Q: Have you ever heard the expression "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"?

Q: Have you ever heard the corollary—"Don't sh¡t on the folks who create awesome stuff"?

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: It is short-sighted to sacrifice future projects because you are TOO DAMN LAZY to LightScribe an Ys IV CD-R and print out a CD tray insert and/or booklet at Kinko's.

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/15/2014, 01:57 PM
Quote from: bartre on 12/15/2014, 11:52 AMokay, i sent PMs to nightwolve and burntlasagna; so we'll wait for their word before getting too deep there.
Hey, got your pm.
Not exactly sure what else to say, but I believe I've stated what I feel about pressing discs with the dub on it.

I don't like them.

I get allot of flack for that stance, but I simply don't like hobby projects that I worked on being put out on bootleg discs.
I understand people want something "official-esque" to hold onto, however, I believe that's what the Japanese copy should be for.
Thank you for all your hard work.

I respect your wishes.

I hope others will have the same respect.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

jtucci31

Quote from: esteban on 12/15/2014, 04:17 PMQ: Does anyone here want to see future Japanese-to-English language dubs?

A: I do.

If you do, too, you will listen to Burnt Lasagna when HE PLAINLY STATES HE IS OPPOSED TO REPRODUCTIONS (pressed CDs) for fan projects he is involved in.

Q: Have you ever heard the expression "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"?

Q: Have you ever heard the corollary—"Don't sh¡t on the folks who create awesome stuff"?

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: It is short-sighted to sacrifice future projects because you are TOO DAMN LAZY to LightScribe an Ys IV CD-R and print out a CD tray insert and/or booklet at Kinko's.
Yeah, if these awesome translators can go through the daunting task of making games English-friendly and then releasing their patches for free, the least I can do is create a copy myself. The work to create one's own copy of the game is probably not nearly as hard the main translating of the game.

Solid points. I want to continue to see translation projects in the future. I will comply to whatever is necessary to make this happen. :)

johnnykonami

I don't care about the translations myself, it's easy enough to patch Ys IV if you wanted to, and there's so little dialogue in Rondo so as not to matter one bit.  I would love a $15ish boot of DEII to hold me over until I can maybe get a real one.

EvilEvoIX

This would be great for the community as a whole.  I feel the more people that get into these games the better it is for the longevity and popularity of the system.  Maybe a Mult-Disc with many games on one disc or even games that were once Hu-Card only Brought on the CD.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

DeshDildo

There's not a Snatcher translation out there is there?
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

Arjak

I would love for this to happen AS LONG AS no one steps on anyone's toes. If BL doesn't want his dub put into bootleg form, then we should respect his wishes. I am intrigued by the idea of doing a new dub for the purpose, though.

I would also love to see other games get a community pressing/translation. Random thought: Why not try Double Dragon 2? IIRC, most of, if not all of the in-game text is already in English, so mostly, we would just have to create and insert an English dub. (Correct me if my memory is wrong.)
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Bernie

esteban

Grab a CD-R, some paper and...

PRINT YOUR OWN STUFF

https://www.tg-16.com/print_your_own_stuff.htm

IMG

BONUS: It is fun just to see the "history" of these homemade designs evolve here at pcefx.

seieienbu

It's funny, the games most talked about here are also the ones that I think are the worst ideas to be used.  Dracula X and Snatcher are owned by Konami who still releases games over here.  Ys 4 was recently remade on Vita and that came out what, a year ago? 

If you're going to straight up try to create semi-authentic CD reproductions I feel that you should only use properties like Beyond Shadowgate, Bonk 3, Dynastic Hero, Lords of Thunder, or other games that will likely never see the light of day over here and don't have a parent company that's still active that would potentially take legal action against people.

spenoza

Thing is, Hudson is owned by Konami now, so ANY Hudson game is now a Konami game. So that logic knocks out a huge portion of the library.

slinkyturd

I think it would be fun to create more titles like mega man for obey. I'd kill for an arcade perfect version or the fm towns version of splatterhouse on my duo. Or why not some RPGs off SNES?
70/95 US Turbochips

SamIAm

Dracula X is the one game on the whole system that I think could really attract a cease and desist/lawsuit from the company that owns it. Konami used to aggressively hunt down the ISO not so long ago, especially lossless copies, and Castlevania is one of their most valuable IPs today.

Old Hudson IPs, on the other hand, I don't think would raise too much of a fuss.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: slinkyturd on 12/15/2014, 11:37 PMI think it would be fun to create more titles like mega man for obey. I'd kill for an arcade perfect version or the fm towns version of splatterhouse on my duo. Or why not some RPGs off SNES?

or

PS3

Easily unlocked.
IMG

slinkyturd

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 12/16/2014, 12:53 AM
Quote from: slinkyturd on 12/15/2014, 11:37 PMI think it would be fun to create more titles like mega man for obey. I'd kill for an arcade perfect version or the fm towns version of splatterhouse on my duo. Or why not some RPGs off SNES?

or

PS3

Easily unlocked.
I have neither system, with little desire for them. :(
70/95 US Turbochips

HailingTheThings

Quote from: slinkyturd on 12/16/2014, 12:55 AM

or

PS3

Easily unlocked.
Well... piss.
IMG

slinkyturd

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 12/16/2014, 02:33 AM

or

PS3

Easily unlocked.
Well... piss.
Done and done.
70/95 US Turbochips

HailingTheThings

Quote from: slinkyturd on 12/16/2014, 03:24 AM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 12/16/2014, 02:33 AM

or

PS3

Easily unlocked.
Well... piss.
Done and done.
Best.
IMG

EvilEvoIX

or

PS3

Easily unlocked.
Great Info I have to get these on the cheap.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

NecroPhile

I'm all for more ports, but it's one hell of a lot more work (of which relatively few are capable) than making simple copies of something that already exists.

jlued686

Just for the record: I agree with Esteban's post. My query was more out of curiosity. If BL or other translators/developers don't want their work included in something like this, we should totally respect that. I was just curious, that's all.

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 12/16/2014, 10:19 AMJust for the record: I agree with Esteban's post. My query was more out of curiosity. If BL or other translators/developers don't want their work included in something like this, we should totally respect that. I was just curious, that's all.
Why don't we do Xak III, Startling Odyssey 2, etc if the translation teams are cool with it?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Sadler

ToyMachine78

I like the idea of Shadowgate, DEII, and YsIV.

I don't get the big deal of using a translation patch. I understand its a lot of work to create these projects, but if you are doing it for the community and the love of the system, then once you turn it over to the community you have to let it go. Let the community do what it wants with it. Its community property at that point, much like my cock.  As long as others are not profiteering from your gift, I don't see the big deal.

I see this mentality here at work as well. Someone writes an app from scratch, then clings to it like its their child. If someone else comes along and wants to modify it, or incorporate it into a new process, they get all pissy. You can't do that... It wasn't designed to be used like that.... I wrote it....

So what, you created it. Its now a part of the company code library, and we will use it and leverage it as we see fit. Let it go!

jlued686

Frankly, I don't get it either and for most of the reasons you've mentioned. But I'm willing to respect his wishes. So, if we do a community pressing of a translation, I'm cool with getting the translator's permission before doing so.

Quote from: CrackTiger on 12/16/2014, 01:40 PMWhy don't we do Xak III, Startling Odyssey 2, etc if the translation teams are cool with it?
I'm fine with that.

bartre

So, BL said no.
no Ys IV with a dub, simple as that.

still no response from nightwolve though, so what do you all say to putting Ys IV on hold?

I must say, I had completely forgotten about beyond shadowgate, and I'm good to go ahead with that one.
does anyone know where some high quality scans are?

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Nulltard on 12/16/2014, 01:49 PMI think all of the hentai games should be the first ones tackled.  I'll even do the translation.  Though I don't know japanese, I'd do a good job.
We need to buy a Pioneer Laserdisc plant and make repros of Virtual Cameraman 2. That's the logical first step IMO
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: bartre on 12/16/2014, 09:09 PMSo, BL said no.
no Ys IV with a dub, simple as that.

still no response from nightwolve though, so what do you all say to putting Ys IV on hold?

I must say, I had completely forgotten about beyond shadowgate, and I'm good to go ahead with that one.
does anyone know where some high quality scans are?
I second Beyond Shawdowgate.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/16/2014, 09:40 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/16/2014, 01:49 PMI think all of the hentai games should be the first ones tackled.  I'll even do the translation.  Though I don't know japanese, I'd do a good job.
We need to buy a Pioneer Laserdisc plant and make repros of Virtual Cameraman 2. That's the logical first step IMO
Agreed. :)

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

seieienbu

Quote from: guest on 12/16/2014, 01:49 PMI think all of the hentai games should be the first ones tackled.  I'll even do the translation.  Though I don't know japanese, I'd do a good job.
So, that's a bunch of votes for Beyond Shadowgate, and 1 vote for all of the pr0n-o games.

jlued686

I'd like to see Startling Odyssey 2 translation.

Or...the other thread got me thinking...what about Fantasy Star Soldier?

Phase

Agree Fantasy Star Soldier is a good idea also, could also do Super Air Zonk.
Beyond Shadowgate is cool though.

Full color manuals would be neat and also set it apart from the original, could also add art to the back of the manual and alter the cd cover.

VenomMacbeth

Phantasy Star Soldier?  Is that spaceship shooting JRPG with the first-person dungeon shmup segments?
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

xcrement5x

Quote from: Nulltard on 12/16/2014, 01:49 PMI think all of the hentai games should be the first ones tackled.  I'll even do the translation.  Though I don't know japanese, I'd do a good job.
There's always Lady Sword if you can get Arkhan to produce more custom AbCards  :3

SamIAm

Hi Leg Fantasy apparently isn't half bad.

I'd like to try it, but it apparently deletes other save files. Screw that.