OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

A realistic approach - Community driven pressed CDs

Started by bartre, 12/14/2014, 10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greedostick

I would be interested in contributing. I do not understand Lasagna's reasoning for not wanting the  Y's translation pressed for the die-hard turbo fans to enjoy. Emulators are shitty, and not a ideal way to play a game. I would think he would understand that is why people want it done. A shitty CDR pressing from a home PC just isn't the same. I wouldn't see the harm if it was just for the people here to enjoy, and not flip on eBay. But I do respect the guys wishes and am against it if he is.

Is he currently working on a project? Or have a project page? I would like to see what he's working on right now.

As for the other games. Basically any game that commands over $150.00 I would be down for, because that is the point I really decide not to throw down the cash unless a game is damn near perfect. There are a lot of average games that are way too expensive to justify a purchase.

I would be interested in the following.

Dynastic Hero
Beyond Shadowgate
Renny Blaster
Sylphia
Bonk 3
Nexzr
Chiki Chiki Boys

I highly doubt anyone will ever give 2 shits about any of these games, especially if it is just for forum members here and there is not a mass website funneling these making profit off of these. I actually don't know if they could even prosecute if there is no intent to distribute for profit. My girlfriend is a lawyer, I will ask her about this.

No one is going to care about these games, or us, the fans for that matter. If they did care they would find a way to get these re-released. I guess Dynastic Hero is the exception there. But it's getting ridiculous on eBay.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Sylphia would be sweet, though I'd prefer the hard rock version that Bonknuts n' I set up, though I know Bonknuts is more partial to the original soundtrack.  If Sylphia was done with the original music, I definitely think the volume of the music should be adjusted before pressing!  IIRC, the sound effects were way to loud in comparison to the music!

Beyond Shadowgate, Dynastic Hero, etc. would be nice to have pressed copies as backup's.  Man, with Dynastic Hero, I'd almost be tempted to make my own version of the Wonderboy in Monsterworld soundtrack as a replacement for Dynastic Hero, though I personally love the Dynastic Hero ost....& I have no time for that right now anyways.  Motteke Tomago, Fantasy Star Soldier, etc. would be great.  If any Hucard games that have been translated could be ported over to cd, that'd be cool, but tons of work!
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/18/2014, 02:13 AMSylphia would be sweet, though I'd prefer the hard rock version that Bonknuts n' I set up, though I know Bonknuts is more partial to the original soundtrack.  If Sylphia was done with the original music, I definitely think the volume of the music should be adjusted before pressing!  IIRC, the sound effects were way to loud in comparison to the music!

Beyond Shadowgate, Dynastic Hero, etc. would be nice to have pressed copies as backup's.  Man, with Dynastic Hero, I'd almost be tempted to make my own version of the Wonderboy in Monsterworld soundtrack as a replacement for Dynastic Hero, though I personally love the Dynastic Hero ost....& I have no time for that right now anyways.  Motteke Tomago, Fantasy Star Soldier, etc. would be great.  If any Hucard games that have been translated could be ported over to cd, that'd be cool, but tons of work!
YOU CRAZY. Sylphia's original soundtrack is nice.

You crazy! I would personally sabotage and destroy anyone who changed the music for a pressed CD

;)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

Why not both versions?  A second disc would add less than $2 per unit.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

bartre

yeah, i'd be down for a remixed soundtrack of most games.

again, I ask anyone who's dealt with it.
do we know of any competent/reliable cd printers?

NecroPhile

Nationwide (the place that did Mysterious Song, Insanity, and Pyramid Plunder) is capable, but I don't know if I'd go so far as saying they're competent.  I don't know how vigilant they are in vetting ownership, but they make you fill out a form saying you own everything being copied; I'm sure all companies do this, but who knows if it's just a formality or if they actually check.

BlueBMW

I happen to love the Sylphia hard rock remix that you guys put together... I'd love to have a pressed disc of that!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

cjameslv

Quote from: bartre on 12/18/2014, 11:56 AMyeah, i'd be down for a remixed soundtrack of most games.

again, I ask anyone who's dealt with it.
do we know of any competent/reliable cd printers?
Well I have an Epson artisan printer that does cd printing in hd. No exactly the cheapest route but would be good for small batches?

NecroPhile

That's CDR.  Bartre's talking about 'real' pressed discs.

cjameslv

Quote from: guest on 12/18/2014, 12:42 PMThat's CDR.  Bartre's talking about 'real' pressed discs.
Well that I can't help with. No known printers for that here in Vegas that I know of.

greedostick

Quote from: guest on 12/18/2014, 10:16 AMWhy not both versions?  A second disc would add less than $2 per unit.
That's a damn good idea!

I really I wish we could get a Far East of Eden 2, translation. It was voted as one of Famitsu's top games of all time.  It has to be awesome.

So is this lasagna fella currently working on a project?  It seems like since he's so again pressing his translation with threat of never doing another one again,  that maybe he is up to something. I would be curious what he's doing now,  or has planned for the future.

##Edit

Found his translation project page located conveniently in his signature. Spriggan translation = pretty awesome
IMG

EvilEvoIX

We need a full Mega Man 1-6 Translation as well.  This would make me extremely Happy.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: esteban on 12/18/2014, 05:57 AM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/18/2014, 02:13 AMSylphia would be sweet, though I'd prefer the hard rock version that Bonknuts n' I set up, though I know Bonknuts is more partial to the original soundtrack.  If Sylphia was done with the original music, I definitely think the volume of the music should be adjusted before pressing!  IIRC, the sound effects were way to loud in comparison to the music!

YOU CRAZY. Sylphia's original soundtrack is nice.

You crazy! I would personally sabotage and destroy anyone who changed the music for a pressed cd

;)
Indeed it is nice, but I meant in addition to the original, rather then just the hard rock version. :)  And like I said, for the original, I definitely think the volume of the music should be adjusted for a pressing.
IMG

bartre

Quote from: guest on 12/18/2014, 12:06 PMI'm sure all companies do this, but who knows if it's just a formality or if they actually check.
same; i'm sure some do and some don't.
upon looking at my copy of Mysterious Song, I can say that the quality would be fine for me.

does anyone here happen to have a copy of the game that they wouldn't mind scanning for me?

additionally, how should we go about differentiating these 'reprints' from the originals?
I was thinking adding a mark on the top of the disc, and packaging in a standard jewel case vs. the double case that the original came in.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 12/15/2014, 09:54 AMI'm pro booties for cheaps.  One of these days I'll get Motteke Tamago done, then Space Fantasy Zone if someone makes tunes for it, but dealing with a certain pressing house is like getting a root canal - slow and painful.
Yeah, for Space Fantasy Zone, I gotta look around again to see if I can find some Fantasy Zone remixes that I can mash up & make them sound of the same basic caliber as the SFZ soundtrack.  Seeing how long it's taking me to do Mega Man, SFZ would probably take me a year to do the soundtrack.  I have a hard time getting myself to commit to that much time invested in that game.  Also, at least 1 song would probably have to be done from scratch.  I recall the high score or game over tune being cutoff in the middle of the tune!  I'll try to take some time & do more searching on youtube & various Fantasy Zone midi's, etc., & see if I could come up with some kind of mashup.
IMG

slinkyturd

Quote from: guest on 12/16/2014, 09:24 AM
Quote from: slinkyturd on 12/15/2014, 11:37 PMI think it would be fun to create more titles like mega man for obey. I'd kill for an arcade perfect version or the fm towns version of splatterhouse on my duo. Or why not some RPGs off SNES?
I'm all for more ports, but it's one hell of a lot more work (of which relatively few are capable) than making simple copies of something that already exists.
Very true :/ One can dream though...
70/95 US Turbochips

Bernie

Quote from: bartre on 12/16/2014, 09:09 PMSo, BL said no.
no Ys IV with a dub, simple as that.

still no response from nightwolve though, so what do you all say to putting Ys IV on hold?

I must say, I had completely forgotten about beyond shadowgate, and I'm good to go ahead with that one.
does anyone know where some high quality scans are?
NIghtWolve has already stated he was fine with using his translations for a pressing here in the community.

NightWolve

I have a long post coming up in this thread to respond when I get a chance, I've got to lay some things out regarding Ys IV (dub included) and so forth and what I'd like to do in the future, I just haven't had a chance and it will be negative regarding Mr. BurntLasagna...

In short, I never should've worked with him on co-producing the dub, but just cause I did, doesn't mean he's going to get total Barack Obama presidential veto power over the idea, over all the voice actors who would like a pressed CD (as do I) - that is suppression... They have a voice too, so to speak, and if they vote yes, their voice acting can and shall be used. If anybody owns their own voice acting, it's gonna be Arjak, Duo_R, PananoiaDragon, etc. themselves, not BL and they did vote in the past in favor. I believe I can get a majority to vote yes, so that's how it should be done. BL's Dracula X project is all his, he can speak entirely for that, but not in the case of Ys IV. Anyway, I'll go in details when time permits.

esteban

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/20/2014, 08:48 AMI have a long post coming up in this thread to respond when I get a chance, I've got to lay some things out regarding Ys IV (dub included) and so forth and what I'd like to do in the future, I just haven't had a chance and it will be negative regarding Mr. BurntLasagna...

In short, I never should've worked with him on co-producing the dub, but just cause I did, doesn't mean he's going to get total Barack Obama presidential veto power over the idea, over all the voice actors who would like a pressed CD (as do I) - that is suppression... They have a voice too, so to speak, and if they vote yes, their voice acting can and shall be used. If anybody owns their own voice acting, it's gonna be Arjak, Duo_R, PananoiaDragon, etc. themselves, not BL and they did vote in the past in favor. I believe I can get a majority to vote yes, so that's how it should be done. BL's Dracula X project is all his, he can speak entirely for that, but not in the case of Ys IV. Anyway, I'll go in details when time permits.
I think this is short-sighted. Let's hold off on Ys IV for now. Why not proceed with projects that have ZERO CONTROVERSY?

We have all been quite capable of waiting. I don't understand why we are unable to enjoy other projects and games. NOBODY *NEEDS* a pressed CD of Ys IV right now.

LOOK HOW GORGEOUS A HOMEMADE YS IV PACKAGE CAN BE.

Also, I do not agree that a mere voice actor has the same "voting power" as Burnt Lasagna, who helped manage and organize the project with you. Burnt Lasagna's wishes *CERTAINLY* have more weight than someone who simply read a few lines into a microphone, sent off the files, and whose responsibilities and obligations were "over" (unless something needed to be re-recorded).

The voice actors have a voice, sure, but you made an agreement with Burnt Lasagna, you AGREED TO WORK TOGETHER, I think you should honor that agreement. If you don't, you basically telling future collaborators: I cannot be trusted.

I love you. :)

NightWolve

Yeah, that's why I have to point things out about that "collaboration" - he blurred it, and one of those ways was by downgrading me to "technical support" in the ReadMe like I'm a f--king hotline... I am no longer on speaking terms with him; it ended with "motherf--ker" early this year and that's NOT because of this idea, it's because of an old lying post of his here, finding things out over time, and what he did with Psycho John from HG101 in relation to me. If one allows his vote to suppress all votes of the voice actors who want a disc, I will have to assert my vote which carries more than his based on what I did to get the dubbing project to the point where it was left off... Yeah, it's like that...

If he wants total veto power, then he needs to recruit his own translator and redo all the voice acting lines. Next he needs to code his own TurboRip and TocFixer, which he used in the DraculaX project as well. Several of the actors were recruited by my dub manager recruit, Justus, who would also like a CD. He recruited the actor for Dogi, Chris, and others like Arjak, PD, PD's wife, etc. - lines were recorded even from back then. The opening battle dub is also by Justus, so BL should redo that as well and recruit new actors. Next, he should delete my Get and Put ADPCM batch files that extract and insert all voice acting, etc., redo all that with his own work hours or get a capable programmer like Bonknuts...

If he did all that, THEN he can have his precious veto power of suppression. He only ever had it because I didn't assert my co-production stake for this dub. I did him a solid, let him write the ReadMe, didn't force the dubs to go right into a fully finished patch right from the start, and in return I got a bunch of bullshit, and that's why I regret ever working with him. You speak of trust, that's exactly why he lost all of my respect, you see, he never wanted to work with me, in 2010 he was sneaking around my website exploiting everything I had released publicly trying to do it without me, that's all before I met him and released the Ys IV Dub Kit (originally meant to be given internally to Arjak), but I'm getting ahead of what I wanna say about him and this.

Trust, loyalty, respect, those are lacking qualities as I have found with people that I worked with. As I never knew he was a fan credo fanatic and would go buckwild against the idea of a CD before working with him, and as I never thought about a pressed CD, I didn't "betray" anyone by liking the idea when it was brought up and wanting to press it myself down the road. So yes, his no vote counts, but like Bernie told him, he ain't the only one in the project and the major work to make the dub happen began with me and my team, prior to him, thus my vote in fact gets to veto his or I pull out all the work hours and software that went to his benefit... Fanatics need to learn to compromise; he got his separatist dub patch off my back, he gets to keep that, and I reserve open the idea down the road for a pressed CD with voice actors who also want one. Fair tradeoff if you ask me versus giving him total veto power and under his logic having to fully wait out the 75 years for the IP Rights to expire... CD Pressing plants are going out of style with the format, so it's not like the option will be available indefinitely.

DeshDildo

Senior Nightwolf, off topic but, thank you for the programs.  TurboRip has come in handy to make mixed CD'S of my favorite CD game tunes to listen to while driving.  TOCfixer has come in handy for the shady ISO files I've downloaded to try a game before buying.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

ToyMachine78

Quote from: esteban on 12/20/2014, 09:49 AM
Quote from: NightWolve on 12/20/2014, 08:48 AMI have a long post coming up in this thread to respond when I get a chance, I've got to lay some things out regarding Ys IV (dub included) and so forth and what I'd like to do in the future, I just haven't had a chance and it will be negative regarding Mr. BurntLasagna...

I think this is short-sighted. Let's hold off on Ys IV for now. Why not proceed with projects that have ZERO CONTROVERSY?

We have all been quite capable of waiting. I don't understand why we are unable to enjoy other projects and games. NOBODY *NEEDS* a pressed CD of Ys IV right now.

LOOK HOW GORGEOUS A HOMEMADE YS IV PACKAGE CAN BE.

Also, I do not agree that a mere voice actor has the same "voting power" as Burnt Lasagna, who helped manage and organize the project with you. Burnt Lasagna's wishes *CERTAINLY* have more weight than someone who simply read a few lines into a microphone, sent off the files, and whose responsibilities and obligations were "over" (unless something needed to be re-recorded).

The voice actors have a voice, sure, but you made an agreement with Burnt Lasagna, you AGREED TO WORK TOGETHER, I think you should honor that agreement. If you don't, you basically telling future collaborators: I cannot be trusted.

I love you. :)
No... I NEED a copy right now. Now damn it!!! Right now!!!

esteban

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/20/2014, 10:35 AMYeah, that's why I have to point things out about that "collaboration" - he blurred it, and one of those ways was by downgrading me to "technical support" in the ReadMe like I'm a f--king hotline... I am no longer on speaking terms with him; it ended with "motherf--ker" early this year and that's NOT because of this idea, it's because of an old lying post of his here, finding things out over time, and what he did with Psycho John from HG101 in relation to me. If one allows his vote to suppress all votes of the voice actors who want a disc, I will have to assert my vote which carries more than his based on what I did to get the dubbing project to the point where it was left off... Yeah, it's like that...

If he wants total veto power, then he needs to recruit his own translator and redo all the voice acting lines. Next he needs to code his own TurboRip and TocFixer, which he used in the DraculaX project as well. Several of the actors were recruited by my dub manager recruit, Justus, who would also like a CD. He recruited the actor for Dogi, Chris, and others like Arjak, PD, PD's wife, etc. - lines were recorded even from back then. The opening battle dub is also by Justus, so BL should redo that as well and recruit new actors. Next, he should delete my Get and Put ADPCM batch files that extract and insert all voice acting, etc., redo all that with his own work hours or get a capable programmer like Bonknuts...

If he did all that, THEN he can have his precious veto power of suppression. He only ever had it because I didn't assert my co-production stake for this dub. I did him a solid, let him write the ReadMe, didn't force the dubs to go right into a fully finished patch right from the start, and in return I got a bunch of bullshit, and that's why I regret ever working with him. You speak of trust, that's exactly why he lost all of my respect, you see, he never wanted to work with me, in 2010 he was sneaking around my website exploiting everything I had released publicly trying to do it without me, that's all before I met him and released the Ys IV Dub Kit (originally meant to be given internally to Arjak), but I'm getting ahead of what I wanna say about him and this.

Trust, loyalty, respect, those are lacking qualities as I have found with people that I worked with. As I never knew he was a fan credo fanatic and would go buckwild against the idea of a CD before working with him, and as I never thought about a pressed CD, I didn't "betray" anyone by liking the idea when it was brought up and wanting to press it myself down the road. So yes, his no vote counts, but like Bernie told him, he ain't the only one in the project and the major work to make the dub happen began with me and my team, prior to him, thus my vote in fact gets to veto his or I pull out all the work hours and software that went to his benefit... Fanatics need to learn to compromise; he got his separatist dub patch off my back, he gets to keep that, and I reserve open the idea down the road for a pressed CD with voice actors who also want one. Fair tradeoff if you ask me versus giving him total veto power and under his logic having to fully wait out the 75 years for the IP Rights to expire... CD Pressing plants are going out of style with the format, so it's not like the option will be available indefinitely.
Hey, I don't know anything about Burnt Lasagna's douchbaggery.  :(

If what you shared with us is true, then it certainly changes how I feel about him.

Basically, I assumed that he was sincere/trustworthy and not involved in any shady and/or douchebag business.

ASIDE: What an ugly mess lurks Ys IV  and other projects!

BOTTOM LINE: I still don't think we need to rush out and press Ys IV. People can wait, dammit! :)

Arjak

He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

greedostick

This is a huge mess for sure. I guess we just need to respect Lasanga's request, and let you all settle your differences in a fair manner before moving forward. It would be nice if Lasagna would chime in and explain his stance on the situation. Hopefully he doesn't just come in with a one liner and provides some information.

I still however do not see what his deal is with the pressings. First, he is against something he has already done. That is taking someone's product, and doing something with it that is not what the original author would have wanted most likely. I mean, I doubt he got written consent from Falcom. Now I do respect the work Lasagna, and the others put forth in making the translation, but it seems kind of hypocritical to be against using the work he done, in a manner not intended, when he is guilty himself. It also seems completely ignorant that he never saw this coming. I mean it sounds like he is a game collector, and would understand people don't want crappy CDR's with black sharpie text on them.

I am not sure if he is afraid of being tied to the project if they were mass produced, in fear of getting into trouble. But that really seems like a unlikely occurrence that he would ever be sued. We are talking about creating a pressing of a never released in America CD for personal use without intent to distribute. And even if it was distributed he would not be at fault just because he made a translation. Besides, it is no worse then burning your own copy even if you do own the original. It is a myth that if you make a backup of a game you own it is not illegal. It most certainly is. Falcom will never pursue a case against anyone even if they did mass distribute this patch online in a professional pressed form. Look at all the reproduction copies of Square Enix games for Super Nintendo on eBay, and the dozens of sites that are dedicated to selling reproductions. It's been going on for years. If Square Enix isn't going to do anything, neither is Falcom.

In all honesty his concerns seem more like paranoia. We are talking about the equivalent of jay-walking in digital form. I understand his stance on owning the actual game and making a personal copy, but it is still illegal and not any better than pressing one up right. People should buy classic games, but still that stance makes little sense. These companies are still not making any money off of these games, and the bottom line is that they do not care about the American audience, so we take it into our own hands.

What's going to happen in 50 years or so when other generations want to enjoy these games? They will be disc-rotted, and non-functional. This is simply the way these classic games are going because it is inevitable that one day they will no longer work. We are simply the pioneers of an era coming in the next 50-100 years. People will look back and be grateful people like you guys did stuff like this, and make Everdrives, and clone consoles, and design custom reproduction boards for snes games.

If these companies are not going to give us what we want, then we will do it ourselves, and keep these games alive for future generations to enjoy.

OK, I got a bit off topic there. But you all know what I mean.
IMG

grache

I'm in awe of the back and forth mary kate & ashley bullshit that happens on all these projects.

Why doesn't any license their work? Or at a minimum communicate their wishes to each other during production and to the rest of the world at release.
TurboGrafx-16 HuCard Collection: 7.3% complete    7 / 96 titles

slinkyturd

Quote from: greedostick on 12/21/2014, 01:13 AMI still however do not see what his deal is with the pressings. First, he is against something he has already done. That is taking someone's product, and doing something with it that is not what the original author would have wanted most likely. I mean, I doubt he got written consent from Falcom. Now I do respect the work Lasagna, and the others put forth in making the translation, but it seems kind of hypocritical to be against using the work he done, in a manner not intended, when he is guilty himself. It also seems completely ignorant that he never saw this coming. I mean it sounds like he is a game collector, and would understand people don't want crappy CDR's with black sharpie text on them.
My thoughts exactly!
70/95 US Turbochips

esteban

Quote from: greedostick on 12/21/2014, 01:13 AMThis is a huge mess for sure. I guess we just need to respect Lasanga's request, and let you all settle your differences in a fair manner before moving forward. It would be nice if Lasagna would chime in and explain his stance on the situation. Hopefully he doesn't just come in with a one liner and provides some information.

I still however do not see what his deal is with the pressings. First, he is against something he has already done. That is taking someone's product, and doing something with it that is not what the original author would have wanted most likely. I mean, I doubt he got written consent from Falcom. Now I do respect the work Lasagna, and the others put forth in making the translation, but it seems kind of hypocritical to be against using the work he done, in a manner not intended, when he is guilty himself. It also seems completely ignorant that he never saw this coming. I mean it sounds like he is a game collector, and would understand people don't want crappy CDR's with black sharpie text on them.

I am not sure if he is afraid of being tied to the project if they were mass produced, in fear of getting into trouble. But that really seems like a unlikely occurrence that he would ever be sued. We are talking about creating a pressing of a never released in America CD for personal use without intent to distribute. And even if it was distributed he would not be at fault just because he made a translation. Besides, it is no worse then burning your own copy even if you do own the original. It is a myth that if you make a backup of a game you own it is not illegal. It most certainly is. Falcom will never pursue a case against anyone even if they did mass distribute this patch online in a professional pressed form. Look at all the reproduction copies of Square Enix games for Super Nintendo on eBay, and the dozens of sites that are dedicated to selling reproductions. It's been going on for years. If Square Enix isn't going to do anything, neither is Falcom.

In all honesty his concerns seem more like paranoia. We are talking about the equivalent of jay-walking in digital form. I understand his stance on owning the actual game and making a personal copy, but it is still illegal and not any better than pressing one up right. People should buy classic games, but still that stance makes little sense. These companies are still not making any money off of these games, and the bottom line is that they do not care about the American audience, so we take it into our own hands.

What's going to happen in 50 years or so when other generations want to enjoy these games? They will be disc-rotted, and non-functional. This is simply the way these classic games are going because it is inevitable that one day they will no longer work. We are simply the pioneers of an era coming in the next 50-100 years. People will look back and be grateful people like you guys did stuff like this, and make Everdrives, and clone consoles, and design custom reproduction boards for snes games.

If these companies are not going to give us what we want, then we will do it ourselves, and keep these games alive for future generations to enjoy.

Comrade: if you want to enjoy a fan translation/dub,  you can. But you don't need a pressed CD to do so.

And if you *really* can't deal with a "sharpie marker" (oh the great injustice!):

https://www.tg-16.com/print_your_own_stuff.htm

IMG

Personally, I am grateful for any translation/dub that simply *exists*...using a sharpie on a CD-R hardly seems the "great injustice" in comparison.

If you *insist* that you *must* have a pressed CD, then you are missing the entire spirit of the project

I still love you :)

Duo_R

I want to respect the wishes of BL.

Honestly, let's pick another release for a game. Maybe another thread should be started with a poll for the top most expensive Turbo or PCE games that we would like to see pressed?
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

esteban

Quote from: Duo_R on 12/21/2014, 11:02 AMI want to respect the wishes of BL.

Honestly, let's pick another release for a game. Maybe another thread should be started with a poll for the top most expensive Turbo or PCE games that we would like to see pressed?
I know, right?!

slinkyturd

My vote is for local girls of hawaii...the nudie ones. lol
70/95 US Turbochips

greedostick

Quote from: esteban on 12/21/2014, 08:54 AM
Quote from: greedostick on 12/21/2014, 01:13 AMIf these companies are not going to give us what we want, then we will do it ourselves, and keep these games alive for future generations to enjoy.

Comrade: if you want to enjoy a fan translation/dub,  you can. But you don't need a pressed CD to do so.

And if you *really* can't deal with a "sharpie marker" (oh the great injustice!):

https://www.tg-16.com/print_your_own_stuff.htm

IMG

Personally, I am grateful for any translation/dub that simply *exists*...using a sharpie on a CD-R hardly seems the "great injustice" in comparison.

If you *insist* that you *must* have a pressed CD, then you are missing the entire spirit of the project

I still love you :)
I don't care either way. I merely stating why people want professional looking copies. It would be cool to have one, but if it never happens I wouldn't mind.
IMG

SephirothTNH

Just want to say I would love to see some community driven pressed CDs.  Especially of Ys IV.  Since Nightwolve already gave his consent at the very least the non dubbed translated version would be fair game. 

Not to sound rude or ungrateful but what exactly did Burnt lasagna do for the project?  If all he did was coordinate with the voice actors and use Nightwolve's tools to extract/re insert adpcm samples then I would say Nightwolve has the lions share of the voting power on this subject. 

Most repros on other consoles get produced without any consent from the hackers, and translators that made the game possible.  I think it speaks volumes to the integrity of the members here that this being considered.

esteban

Quote from: SephirothTNH on 12/21/2014, 12:39 PMJust want to say I would love to see some community driven pressed CDs.  Especially of Ys IV.  Since Nightwolve already gave his consent at the very least the non dubbed translated version would be fair game. 

Not to sound rude or ungrateful but what exactly did Burnt lasagna do for the project?  If all he did was coordinate with the voice actors and use Nightwolve's tools to extract/re insert adpcm samples then I would say Nightwolve has the lions share of the voting power on this subject. 

Most repros on other consoles get produced without any consent from the hackers, and translators that made the game possible.  I think it speaks volumes to the integrity of the members here that this being considered.
OMG! SRSLY!

You're totally correct.

P.S. I have pressed CD of Atlantean to sell you.

SephirothTNH

Quote from: esteban on 12/21/2014, 12:59 PMOMG! SRSLY!

You're totally correct.
GREAT!! Thanks for coming around.

Quote from: esteban on 12/21/2014, 12:59 PMP.S. I have pressed CD of Atlantean to sell you.
No thanks I would rather buy a legit copy from aetherbyte on hucard. 

Seriously though I was just wondering how much of the work is really burnt lasangna's.  If it is indeed how I suspect it then it should be a simple matter to do a fresh dub patch without him.  The original voice actors can re submit their samples if they want to be a part of a community pressing; those that don't can be re recorded.  Someone else can handle editing the audio and reinserting it.  Well maybe it wont be simple but certainly doable and avoids going against Lasagna's wishes regarding his part of the dub.

spenoza

Honestly, if we're talking about whether something should be pressed or not, I think a "No" answer should always carry more weight than a "Yes" answer. If even one person on a team thinks "No, this is inappropriate," then it shouldn't happen. Period. Every member of that team should have veto power. Something should only happen if everyone is on board, unless there is some kind of contract stating who specifically has decision-making power.

We know that translation work is relatively safe territory, but when you move up to a formal, pressed release, that exposes all parties involved to greater risk, and any individual should have the right to shut that down and opt out of being exposed to that greater risk.

I realize it makes things a lot more difficult to accomplish that way, but I think safe is better than sorry.

greedostick

Quote from: guest on 12/21/2014, 01:56 PMHonestly, if we're talking about whether something should be pressed or not, I think a "No" answer should always carry more weight than a "Yes" answer. If even one person on a team thinks "No, this is inappropriate," then it shouldn't happen. Period. Every member of that team should have veto power. Something should only happen if everyone is on board, unless there is some kind of contract stating who specifically has decision-making power.

We know that translation work is relatively safe territory, but when you move up to a formal, pressed release, that exposes all parties involved to greater risk, and any individual should have the right to shut that down and opt out of being exposed to that greater risk.

I realize it makes things a lot more difficult to accomplish that way, but I think safe is better than sorry.
Making a translation is not illegal. Just frowned upon by game dev companies. There is zero percent chance of persecution in any way,  shape,  or form, unless you are the one selling the Cdr's for profit. That is why there is confusion. Because it makes no sense why one would be paranoid regarding the issue. I could manufacture thousand of copies and start selling them tomorrow through a website. Do you think Falcom would file a case against me or lasagna?  They would not care what they did,  because I would be the one making profit.

If lasagna is scared to be on a pressed copy,  then his concerns are mute,  because the distributor would be at fault. But again,  these are for non-profit. Not much that could be done.
IMG

Dicer

TBH it's not some mega corp trying to do this, it's a bunch of passionate people trying to carry on the legacy of what they enjoy. No one is trying to do this for profit, but for the enjoyment of the hobby, and if the voices of the many are in agreement, then I think it should happen. No one is talking about mass producing these and making them widely available.

People do dubs/translations because I would assume, they want people to enjoy something they otherwise could not, so stifling this in any way shape or form, it just seems counter productive to the whole reason for doing it in the first place.

Just my .02 on the matter...

wolfman

Do a combined run of a  C.O.M.P.L.E.T.E.

Beyond Shadowgate
Might & Magic 3
Bonk 3

and I am sure not only me but half of our community will be more than grateful for your time and energy involved in this.

Count me in on this as well.
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
-------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.
-------------------------------------------------------------

HailingTheThings

IMG

greedostick

Quote from: wolfman on 12/21/2014, 06:41 PMDo a combined run of a  C.O.M.P.L.E.T.E.

Beyond Shadowgate
Might & Magic 3
Bonk 3

and I am sure not only me but half of our community will be more than grateful for your time and energy involved in this.

Count me in on this as well.
And Dynastic Hero. We could do them in groups of 3 or 4. We could do a rpg lot, then a shmup lot,  etc..
I for one would be grateful, and would he more than willing to donate some cash for time spent getting things in order.
IMG

Duo_R

The Latest Turbo Duo Memories collection has Dynastic Hero, Dungeon Exp II, Bonk 3 and Godzilla. Maybe something else? Those collections may seem pricey but they are really nice.

greedostick

Quote from: Duo_R on 12/21/2014, 09:52 PMThe Latest Turbo Duo Memories collection has Dynastic Hero, Dungeon Exp II, Bonk 3 and Godzilla. Maybe something else? Those collections may seem pricey but they are really nice.
Yeah the thing is they are far too expensive to justify purchasing, especially when factoring in I am forced to buy godzilla, which I don't want, and dungeon Explorer 2, which I already own. Plus they seem to sell out fast.

I think the appeal of a project like this, is that people are tired of being dicked over by some guy banking 500% profit.

I do appreciate you looking out though, I just don't think that set is for me. I only collect games I feel are worth owning, and don't want to feel like I am being forced to buy,  and shelve games I will never play.
IMG

TurboXray

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 12/21/2014, 07:33 PMIMG
I thought this was a Sonic and Friends free-zone? It's bad enough that stuff drifts over to sega-16, but here? -smh  :P

tl;dr (nothing important)

greedostick: Actually, it is illegal. You are not allowed to translate someone else's copyrighted work and redistribute it in another language (patch or no patch). The ONLY reason why the hacking and translation community hasn't come under fire, is because this is done for non-profit AND the target audience is small enough. That hasn't stopped some companies from producing a C&D though, once a hack got waaaay to much attention (ChronoTrigger comes to mind).

I do agree that everyone involved in a project gets veto power for their own work - period. SamIam and I are working on the translation of Spriggan, so I would definitely like it if permission was asked of both of us. I can't speak on behalf of Sam, and he can't for me.

No one said stated that any of these hacks were made with the idea that they were to be pressed on CDs. It's not the hackers or translators problem, if you don't like CD-Rs or PC emulators (or the up and comming SDcard CD emulator for PCE that the GDEMU guy is working on).

About the YsIV dub thing: just redub the damn thing. It's not that hard and anyone has the right to do it (there's no claim that you can't rehack or redub something just because someone else did it first). That would solve both issues for BL and NW.

To the new comers here, you're not entitled to something just because someone else released it for public use. It doesn't make it public property. You need to learn some damn respect: you can't always get what you want (I want a pressed copy of YsIV as much as any of you, even before this dub was made). Trying to justify it 3 ways around be stating they didn't have permission for this and that, doesn't negate anything. I swear some people have little to no scruples. But go ahead and do it, and see what happens to the community that wants to actually continue this type of work.

I'm in no way against community pressings, but getting permission is the right thing to do. I feel like a broken record...

As for Dracula X, there are like 5-6 people that worked on that (myself included). BL isn't the only one, but he made clear that he doesn't want this part used in a pressing. If you want to make your own version, you can use my tools (or rather, code) - I don't care what you do with it. But I didn't do everything in the game, and there are artists (like Fragmare) that did work too. You'd have to replace that as well. You got your work cut out for you; let's see what you're made of.

greedostick

You sure about that?  I just asked my girlfriend (a lawyer),  and although she States it's not her expertise, a English patch she said sounds like reverse engineering, and something about fair copyright act.
IMG

Duo_R

I hear ya man! Just heads up he might also sell these individually.

Quote from: greedostick on 12/21/2014, 10:04 PM
Quote from: Duo_R on 12/21/2014, 09:52 PMThe Latest Turbo Duo Memories collection has Dynastic Hero, Dungeon Exp II, Bonk 3 and Godzilla. Maybe something else? Those collections may seem pricey but they are really nice.
Yeah the thing is they are far too expensive to justify purchasing, especially when factoring in I am forced to buy godzilla, which I don't want, and dungeon Explorer 2, which I already own. Plus they seem to sell out fast.

I think the appeal of a project like this, is that people are tired of being dicked over by some guy banking 500% profit.

I do appreciate you looking out though, I just don't think that set is for me. I only collect games I feel are worth owning, and don't want to feel like I am being forced to buy,  and shelve games I will never play.

VestCunt

+1 to everything Bonknuts said. All of you people who've only been here for a few years need to listen up because this topic has been discussed before and it's not going to work. There should be a sticky or something.

Unlike most naysayers, I'm all against non-profit repressing. That said, don't come around here trying to get a "community blessing" or something. Quietly sound out your supporters and do it off-forum like Fudoh or whatever did or just scrape up a few hundred dollars and do it yourself. It's not that hard.

Public discussion is a bad idea. Consider:
1) talking about ROMs and ISOs is a ban-able offense, you idiots. For better or worse this forum isn't public space. Aaron owns it and pays the fees. So... if talking about ISO's is against the rules, then you can bet your ass he doesn't want you pirating and selling physical discs via the forum. (Yeah, I know swearing is discouraged too. Sue me).

2) PCEFX has official industry connections. In 2007, PCEFX was Hudson's OFFICIAL home of TurboGrafx news for the VirtualConsole. These forums are something of an institution that has attracted official attention in the past and Aaron may want to make such agreements again in the future. Don't shit in the pool. Move all pirating talk over to the chatbox on that other site or something.

3) the internet is filled with petty, bean-counting tattletales that will rat you out. Strangely, they don't bat an eyelash if someone starts selling nice repros like the overpriced PCE boxset, but if anyone dares open up a discussion about a business venture, then there's hell to pay. Several years ago a guy posted here that he bought the TG16 Marble Madness prototype and might consider sharing it. There was some interest, but then the Forgotten-IP-Corporation-Protection Trolls showed up and ran the guy out of town because they just could live with the thought of someone paying money for an unlicensed ROM. Also remember the independent release of Faceball on the Virtualboy was shitcanned because of forum pussies threatening to alert the IP holder.

4) while I'm not concerned with a tiny, non-profit release of an extinct corporation's thirty-year-old IP, we have to respect the handful of our peers who take the time out of their days to bring us new ports and translations for free. If the Ys IV team doesn't want their shit being pressed, that's the end of the argument. Suck it up and play a burned disc on a hacked Xbox or something. I can't believe people are still whining about this.

Quote from: greedostick on 12/21/2014, 02:03 PMMaking a translation is not illegal. Just frowned upon by game dev companies. There is zero percent chance of persecution in any way,  shape,  or form, unless you are the one selling the Cdr's for profit.
It's totally illegal, but I'm so sick of arguing copyright law with idiots on the internet that I'm not even going to start.
Topic Adjourned.

Duo_R

Let's move the convo to that other PCE site then, good call!

greedostick

Quote from: guest on 12/21/2014, 11:16 PM+1 to everything Bonknuts said. All of you people who've only been here for a few years need to listen up because this topic has been discussed before and it's not going to work. There should be a sticky or something.

Unlike most naysayers, I'm all against non-profit repressing. That said, don't come around here trying to get a "community blessing" or something. Quietly sound out your supporters and do it off-forum like Fudoh or whatever did or just scrape up a few hundred dollars and do it yourself. It's not that hard.

Public discussion is a bad idea. Consider:
1) talking about ROMs and ISOs is a ban-able offense, you idiots. For better or worse this forum isn't public space. Aaron owns it and pays the fees. So... if talking about ISO's is against the rules, then you can bet your ass he doesn't want you pirating and selling physical discs via the forum. (Yeah, I know swearing is discouraged too. Sue me).

2) PCEFX has official industry connections. In 2007, PCEFX was Hudson's OFFICIAL home of TurboGrafx news for the VirtualConsole. These forums are something of an institution that has attracted official attention in the past and Aaron may want to make such agreements again in the future. Don't shit in the pool. Move all pirating talk over to the chatbox on that other site or something.

3) the internet is filled with petty, bean-counting tattletales that will rat you out. Strangely, they don't bat an eyelash if someone starts selling nice repros like the overpriced PCE boxset, but if anyone dares open up a discussion about a business venture, then there's hell to pay. Several years ago a guy posted here that he bought the TG16 Marble Madness prototype and might consider sharing it. There was some interest, but then the Forgotten-IP-Corporation-Protection Trolls showed up and ran the guy out of town because they just could live with the thought of someone paying money for an unlicensed ROM. Also remember the independent release of Faceball on the Virtualboy was shitcanned because of forum pussies threatening to alert the IP holder.

4) while I'm not concerned with a tiny, non-profit release of an extinct corporation's thirty-year-old IP, we have to respect the handful of our peers who take the time out of their days to bring us new ports and translations for free. If the Ys IV team doesn't want their shit being pressed, that's the end of the argument. Suck it up and play a burned disc on a hacked Xbox or something. I can't believe people are still whining about this.

Quote from: greedostick on 12/21/2014, 02:03 PMMaking a translation is not illegal. Just frowned upon by game dev companies. There is zero percent chance of persecution in any way,  shape,  or form, unless you are the one selling the Cdr's for profit.
It's totally illegal, but I'm so sick of arguing copyright law with idiots on the internet that I'm not even going to start.
Please, show me a statute that states making a English patch for a video game is illegal. It's not the same as translating a novel. A patch is not a copy of the actual game, like a book would be. I would love to see proof. Like I said before I am not 100% certain of the real law,   but from my advice from a real lawyer, is that it is probably not. There's a huge difference between ys iv, and some patch someone is creating for a game just released last month in Japan. Those C&D's are issued because a English translation is on the way

Also for the record,  I said I don't care either way what happens. I may not be a lawyer but I am far from an idiot. I have 5.5 years college under my belt. I've taken differential equations, thermodynamics, and and many other high level math/physics/ health care courses. So take your attitude and stick it up your rear end.  This is a discussion,  no reason to get all pissy. So just calm down.

Thanks.
IMG

Gentlegamer

There's no such thing as "intellectual property," it's a legal fiction.
IMG