10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

King of fighters 98 / MotW

Started by Nando, 07/25/2013, 02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nando

Been playing these two fighters a lot lately, and it got me wondering.

Which are your favorite KoF/Fatal Fury games, hell even throw some Samurai Showdown if you feel like it.

Samcho 2 is my favorite btw.

Opethian

Real Bout 2
KOF 96/98/2002
All the Samurai Showdown games except V
IMG

marktheshark

Fatal Fury - Either RBFF or RBS.

Favorite KOF: '97

Favorite SS: SSIV

Nando

I could spend hours looking at the backgrounds.

IMG
IMG
IMG

psychobear

Forme these are the ones I find myself playing them most

MOTW
SS 2,3 and 5S
KOF 98,99,2000, and 03

Opethian

IMG

Nando

geise

Yeah I gotta go with what I "personally" like the best, even though it's not the best in the series.  I love KoF 94 and I always will.  KOF 98 for just the animation and characters.  Althena is super cheap in 98 though.  She's way unbalanced.  I also love KOF2k.  There are all these little things though that give me something to like about all the KOF games. (even kof2k1)

JoshTurboTrollX

Yea, SNK is king.

I loved KOF '95 pretty much forever until '98 (AKA KOF '99 Dream Match on Dreamcast)
I'm not sure I've ever really enjoyed a KOF as much as those two since, but I've heard good things about KOF XIII.

Mark of the Wolves and Real Bout Special RULE the universe!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SignOfZeta

Real Bout 2 is pretty great, but there are some things about Real Bout Special I still really like that didnt make it into RB2, like the goofy announcer. Obviously MotW is fucking great.

With KOF...honestly, they are all great. 95 is great if you like taking 3/4 off a life bar with one simple combo. 94 is the weakest, and 2001 is too damned weird for me...but still amazing in its own fucked up Eolith way. 97 has a terrific story mode, same with 96. 98 has a great cast and fixes many problems with the earlier games that cast came from. 2000 is boring in one player mode but extremely refined for versus play. 2002 is really cool all around, 99 is maybe the most polished, and 2003 is the easiest ones to get non-SNK people into.

I guess I like 03, 2000, 2002, and 98 best.

Non-Neo KOFs: XI is interesting but I just couldn't get into it. XII is really lame, XIII is absolutely terrific.

Neo Wave is dead to me. R-1 and R-2 are the best portable KOFs we will ever get. Maximum Impact is beautiful but bullshit.
IMG

Nando

FUCK!
what is this bkg from?

IMG

psychobear

SVC Chaos is complete crap...

SignOfZeta

Quote from: psychobear on 07/25/2013, 06:01 PMSVC Chaos is complete crap...
I prefer to think of it as a beta. It has some really good art in it, it's just unfinished.
IMG

psychobear

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/25/2013, 06:55 PM
I prefer to think of it as a beta. It has some really good art in it, it's just unfinished.
I was talking mostly of the game play, it feels really broken, but the art is good.

SuperDeadite

Kof '96
Real Bout Special
Garou
Last Blade
Gowcaizer
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

munchiaz

KOF 99 was one of my first KOF experiences. I always played capcom fighters as a kid, and never played SNK until i started branching out in games. I also really enjoy MOTW. But my favorite would have to be KOF XIII, since i play this game competitively

Tatsujin

KOF '98
MotW

still need me to get BOTH!

and..

Samurai spirits (for being the original)
Shin samurai spitits (for being the best)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Nando

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 07/25/2013, 07:10 PMGowcaizer
Always wondered about that one. Have never played it, but I dug the anime bitd. Masami obari designs were so loooong and pointy.

SuperDeadite

Gowcaizer is a very niche appeal.  Most will not like it, but if it's your thing it's good times.  It helps that I just play fighters for fun, I have no interest at all in competition, hence I could care less about balance and sub-systems.  Just fun.

TheClash603

KOF 99 is the shit.

P.S. - Kim in da man.

majors

Gotta go SS2, just for amount of time I've spent playing it with friends.

MotW is just god like, but I enjoy RB2 for some fun.

KoF97 is my goto, the music in 98 does nothing for me. After that, I sort of can't tell the differences since I'm not hard core KoF fan. XIII is the best thing SNK could have done with the series; brought it back in HD keeping hand drawn sprites. I hope they can do that for other IP's they still have.

Ninja Masters is good fun that most ppl missed in the arcade. NeoGeoX should have put it back on everyone's radar. It's like a lost SF2 from BitD.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Nando

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 07/25/2013, 09:24 PMGowcaizer is a very niche appeal.  Most will not like it, but if it's your thing it's good times.  It helps that I just play fighters for fun, I have no interest at all in competition, hence I could care less about balance and sub-systems.  Just fun.
I'm sold!

Ninja Masters is another I never saw at the arcades. I saw MotW once at an arcade in Syracuse (ny.)

esadajr

Gaming since 1985

seieienbu

I loved Mark of the Wolves since the first time that I saw it in an arcade.  I've bought it for Dreamcast, PS2, and Xbox 360.  A couple of years ago my roommate and I would determine who would do chores by who would win a set in various fighting games, mostly MotW and Super SF4.  Good times.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

TR0N

Garou MOTW
Samurai Shodown 2
KOF 98,96
Waku Waku 7
Last Blade
RB2
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

TR0N

I don't think it's bad game but it could have used more polished.Not to mention,how much it's hit detection is screwed up.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

tbsjordan

Quote from: Nando on 07/25/2013, 05:25 PMFUCK!
what is this bkg from?

IMG
This is from a Guilty Gear, although I'm not sure which one.

I'm with pretty much everyone else, love KOF 98, Mark of The Wolves, the Real Bout games. I also go back to Art of Fighting 3 often for some reason.

seieienbu

That background's from the Korean version of Guilty Gear XX #Reload.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

jeffhlewis

My rational side says SS2, RBS2 and KOF98

My heart says FF1 and SS1 because those are the ones I sank a billion quarters into as a kid. Always had a soft spot for FF1 even though it's primitive and the gameplay isn't the best.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Nando on 07/25/2013, 09:19 PM
Always wondered about that one. Have never played it, but I dug the anime bitd. Masami obari designs were so loooong and pointy.
Masami Obari has had a long and wonderful career and Gowcaizer is the absolute worst fucking piece of shit he ever worked on. He clearly needs supervision, but otherwise he is a very talented guy with a lot of good work on his resume, and no I'm not talking about Fatal Fury.

If I had to sum up Gowcaizer in one world, that world would be "gross". It is so so gross.
IMG

SuperDeadite

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/27/2013, 04:51 PM
Masami Obari has had a long and wonderful career and Gowcaizer is the absolute worst fucking piece of shit he ever worked on. He clearly needs supervision, but otherwise he is a very talented guy with a lot of good work on his resume, and no I'm not talking about Fatal Fury.

If I had to sum up Gowcaizer in one world, that world would be "gross". It is so so gross.
Worst Obari creation?  No way dude.  That title belongs to Angel Blade....

Nando

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 07/27/2013, 02:18 PMMy rational side says SS2, RBS2 and KOF98

My heart says FF1 and SS1 because those are the ones I sank a billion quarters into as a kid. Always had a soft spot for FF1 even though it's primitive and the gameplay isn't the best.
No doubt. I actually remember playing SS1for the first time, but #2 took my money! Lol

geise

Since we're talking all around Neo fighters and not just KOF, I have to go with Waku Waku 7 as my favorite Neo fighter.  I just love the characters and style of the game.  It's also really well balanced to me.  Character select music is the best EVER!

BTW, WTF is wrong with Angel Blade? O:)

SuperDeadite

Quote from: geise on 07/27/2013, 09:38 PMSince we're talking all around Neo fighters and not just KOF, I have to go with Waku Waku 7 as my favorite Neo fighter.  I just love the characters and style of the game.  It's also really well balanced to me.  Character select music is the best EVER!

BTW, WTF is wrong with Angel Blade? O:)
Go watch it and see for yourself.   I'll give you a hint though, if you look at the credits, everyone that worked on it is uncredited, as none of the people wanted to be associated with it.  Except for Obari himself, as he's quite proud of his accomplishment...

Waku 7 is a game that I just can't seem to get into.  It's good, but I just don't seem to enjoy it as much as I'd like.  I'd rather play Matrimelee, which is another Neo great.

Nando

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/27/2013, 04:51 PM

Damn, gonna have to watch it again.

Opethian

Matrimelee has some of the best music from a cart game ever
IMG