Turbo games where the US version is preferred

Started by tbsjordan, 06/29/2016, 11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbsjordan

Hey everyone, I'm looking over the Turbo/PC Engine library and trying to decide which version of some games to get. For most I want the PC Engine version of due to price difference, but some games I would like the domestic version of due to text/playability (game not being English friendly), game play changes, or even cost. I have come up with a list of the games I am thinking the Us/ version is needed/preferred. Some of these I don't own so I haven't played them, please let me know of any additions or subtractions. Thank you!

Cosmic Fantasy 2
Double Dungeons
Dragon Slayer
Dungeon Explorer
Dungeon Explorer 2
Dungeon Master
Exile
Exile: Wicked Phenomenon
JB Harold Murder Club
Loom
Lords of the Rising Sun
Magical Dinosaur Tour
Might and Magic III
Military Madness
Neutopia
Neutopia 2
Sherlock Holmes
Sherlock Homes 2
Sim Earth
Ys 1&2
Ys 3

wildfruit

Well for the CD games if you must be legit & own the original, buy the JP games and burn the English version. Is Loom really worth it? You can get that for any number of systems in English. Dungeon explorer HuCard should be cheap enough in English. The others I don't really pay attention to prices of but a turbo ever drive should solve all your problems.

Otaking

Just to let you know there are no "Euro" games. There is a PAL TurboGrafx but no games were released for it in Euro regions, it plays the US Turbografx 16 games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

tbsjordan

Quote from: wildfruit on 06/29/2016, 04:59 PMWell for the CD games if you must be legit & own the original, buy the JP games and burn the English version. Is Loom really worth it? You can get that for any number of systems in English. Dungeon explorer HuCard should be cheap enough in English. The others I don't really pay attention to prices of but a turbo ever drive should solve all your problems.
Some of these I just put in the list for the sake of completion. For instance I'm not going to buy Magical Dinosaur Tour, and Loom unless I find it cheap and some of the others on the list I already own (Ys, CF2, Dungeon Explorer, etc.) I do also plan on getting an ever drive, so any hucards I won't buy unless I find a really good deal (though I wish I bought Neutopia back when.) I only put price in as a factor unless the PC Engine version is super expensive and the Turbo isn't, I am more interested in what games the Japanese version is not playable to the English speaker, so importing wouldn't be an option on the cd games and the everdrive rom would better served being the Turbo version. Hope that clears things up on my original post.

Also thanks for clarifying the region thing

Otaking

Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

csgx1

The Japanese version of JB Harold Murder Club can be changed to English in the settings.

SignOfZeta

It can? Oh shit. I need to play that now then, I guess.
IMG

Psycho Punch

Quote from: csgx1 on 06/29/2016, 07:00 PMThe Japanese version of JB Harold Murder Club can be changed to English in the settings. 
No more hunting for the US version of the game :) :) :)
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

EmperorIng

For JB Harold, are you talking about the voices, the text, or both? I was able to muddle around until I figured out how to change the voices, but I wasn't able to get the copious amounts of Japanese text into English.

People never seem to clarify this point.

Also, the preferred version of Exile WP/Janen no Jishou is just to not play it. The game is utter trash. The JPN version is better, but in the sense that a kick to the face is preferable to a kick to the nuts.

I also don't know if any English is necessary in Dungeon Explorer 1. Unlike 2, I don't seem to recall needing to talk to any NPCs to progress, but I didn't beat the game either.

SignOfZeta

I think Exile 2 is still more fun than CF2. CF2 Is so tedious and boring...I beat it at least twice back in the day but I doubt I could now. That's a lot of loading for a combat system that makes Quest 64 look deep.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: EmperorIng on 06/29/2016, 09:39 PMAlso, the preferred version of Exile WP/Janen no Jishou is just to not play it. The game is utter trash. The JPN version is better, but in the sense that a kick to the face is preferable to a kick to the nuts.
AhahahhHa.

I still haven't beaten this game.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

nopepper

Quote from: EmperorIng on 06/29/2016, 09:39 PMI also don't know if any English is necessary in Dungeon Explorer 1. Unlike 2, I don't seem to recall needing to talk to any NPCs to progress, but I didn't beat the game either.
Although I have not played it in quite awhile, I think part one should definitely be playable without knowing what the NPCs are saying, but they do give you some clues here and there that make progress easier. Probably the Pc Engine version, along with a short FAQ should suffice.

csgx1

Quote from: EmperorIng on 06/29/2016, 09:39 PMFor JB Harold, are you talking about the voices, the text, or both? I was able to muddle around until I figured out how to change the voices, but I wasn't able to get the copious amounts of Japanese text into English.
People never seem to clarify this point.
Both voice and text can be changed to English.  The options are kind of hard to find.

Here's a post on how to do it... 
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=8477.msg426211#msg426211

SignOfZeta

Not that it matters to non-millionaires at this point but...Magical Chase. The packaging is obviously way better on the JP versions but the US one has more desirable software on the chip itself. A few improvements were made for the US release.
IMG

bob

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/30/2016, 01:39 AMNot that it matters to non-millionaires at this point but...Magical Chase. The packaging is obviously way better on the JP versions but the US one has more desirable software on the chip itself. A few improvements were made for the US release.
isnt the music different in both versions too?

CrackTiger

The music in Magical Chase is the same. In the hes file, there is an unused track. There is a known sound test trick for the PC Engine version which includes that track. It was likely made for a cut tutorial, which is present in the GBC version with that bgm.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Otaking

I've always prefered the graphics in the Japanese version of Magical Chase.

StarDust4Ever

I think most games that aren't text heavy don't matter much.

Magical Chase has a much better looking graphical pallet, especially in stage one. The pumpkin shops add a nice autumn theme. But nicer visuals in a US release is indeed a rare thing. Usually they just censor or outright omit stuff, leaving gaps in the translation that make little sense. Not that Japan-exclusives aren't known for being a bit nutty at times. I also much prefered the title screen for Air Zonk over PC Dengin.

Blazing Lazers pops out far better in my mind going by title screen along, compared to GunHed, though the hidden difficulty menus might be missed for hardcore players. I think it's perfectly balanced at default.

As previously mentioned, anything that relies heavily on reading, like Neutopia or any other adventure/RPG, no matter how badly censored, you're going to miss out on a ton, if it's even playable at all, without an English translation.
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

EmperorIng

Quote from: StarDust4Ever on 06/30/2016, 10:09 PMI think [Gunhed] is perfectly balanced at default.
For fans of games where nothing happens for 40 minutes, I suppose.

Blazing Lasers actually removed the difficulty modes? What a waste of a HuCard!

StarDust4Ever

Quote from: EmperorIng on 06/30/2016, 11:38 PM
Quote from: StarDust4Ever on 06/30/2016, 10:09 PMI think [Gunhed] is perfectly balanced at default.
Nothing happens? I beg to differ. Just look at how much stuff is onscreen at once!

esteban

Quote from: EmperorIng on 06/30/2016, 11:38 PM

Blazing Lasers actually removed the difficulty modes? What a waste of a HuCard!
The default difficulty for NA is *PUSSYFOOTER*

You can access the sound test and difficulty levels by inputting codes on title screen

Surely you have followed my recommendation to play at the lovely *GOD OF GAME* setting

Also, whenever a game is easy, you should be creative and make things more interesting (the weapon system is really awesome and allows for some unique creations...experimenting reveals how FULL FORCE is a catalyst for all the weapons... Lots of neat things to play around with).

I've had a lot of fun replaying GunHed/Blazing Lazers using all different weapon combos...or purposefully switching things at random to force myself to try different things.

*GOD OF GAME* + creativity = fun

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

StarDust4Ever

Quote from: esteban on 06/30/2016, 11:59 PMThe default difficulty for NA is *PUSSYFOOTER*
So you're calling me an "Average Dog" then? Is the default setting in GunHed "Hard Human" instead?  :P

What about Super Star Soldier and Soldier Blade? Any differences between the US and Japan difficulty settings in those? Only difference I can tell is that some unintelligible Japanese text during the intro is removed in the US version of SSS. Would it have killed them to translate a couple sentences rather than delete or hide the entire intro scene?