OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Turbo-Grafx 16 Picture Issues

Started by tbsjordan, 04/27/2011, 12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbsjordan

Got my first TG-16 in the mail today. I took a chance a bought one off ebay cheap(seller said he never tested it.) The system works, but I can't get a good picture. The system came with TV Sports Basketball, here's a couple pictures of how it looks.

IMG
IMG
IMG

To make sure it wasn't the game I went ahead and tried a copy of Military Madness that I had already.

IMG

The pictures actually adds more color to the pictures, its actually darker in person. I thought it could be the rf but I tried a NES rf and the picture just rolled. And if it makes any difference I'm using a Model 1 Genesis power supply because the system came with some panasonic adapter I didn't trust using.

Anyone have any suggestions?

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: tbsjordan on 04/27/2011, 12:50 PMGot my first TG-16 in the mail today. I took a chance a bought one off ebay cheap(seller said he never tested it.) The system works, but I can't get a good picture. The system came with TV Sports Basketball, here's a couple pictures of how it looks.

IMG
IMG
IMG

To make sure it wasn't the game I went ahead and tried a copy of Military Madness that I had already.

IMG

The pictures actually adds more color to the pictures, its actually darker in person. I thought it could be the rf but I tried a NES rf and the picture just rolled. And if it makes any difference I'm using a Model 1 Genesis power supply because the system came with some panasonic adapter I didn't trust using.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Do you have a different RF switch to test with? if the NES RF wasn't working at all and this one didn't work properly it might be the TV as well. Try a different TV, the panasonic power and a different RF if possible.
--DragonmasterDan

NecroPhile

Did you try jiggling the rf connector on the TG?  Its solder connections might need some help.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

alexsduo

You can add RCA out, I am sure there is a schematic somewhere on this site.

I have a turbo grafx, that does not output any picture via RF, but when I plug it in the expansion dock, it works great... So I have to assume the RF is bad...

Good luck!
Manuals needed: Airzonk
hu: MC, PCE: Zero Wing

thesteve

i just fixed the rf on my third tg16.
it appeared to be a build defect (missing part) in the rf modulator.
it was working withe poor pic on one tv and not at all on another

alexsduo

Hmmm, thesteve, can you provide me some assistance?  Like what part was missing, did you just solder it, I want to get another TG up and running. Any pics would help... Thanks!

thesteve

i should have taken a pic.
if u look at the board on the rf modulator (jack on top three pins bottom) just below the jack is its solder joint.
there needs to be a small SM capacitor connecting it to the solder joint to its right

tbsjordan

I tried a bunch of other r/f and ac's and I still got the same result. I hooked up my NES to make sure the tv wasn't the problem and it had a clear picture. I don't have another tv to test it on. Guess either my tv hates it or I got burned :(

BlueBMW

You might try and rig one of these up.... ultimately you want to use composite over RF anyways...

http://www.cgquarterly.com/articles/tg16_cable.htm
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

thesteve

Bernie

Nice site Blue!  Got some good reading there.

alexsduo

Great link, Im gonna try that for sure!

thesteve

composite is better
but for the sake of those who want it to work the way it was designed to (me included), we should pursue this.
i made one weak unit display strong through rf all ready, so it can be done I just need to get pics up.

thesteve

the one i got was missing the pass cap.
i replaced it with a chip cap from a cd rom board

alexsduo

Steve, you're the man.  I am not sure what to do, I will have to look at it..

I know I saw another schematic where you solder the wires in the inside, for more of a permanent solution... I will try to find it, as I know I will rip those cables while I am having a monster session of Keith Courage.

thesteve

i just mounted my L R V jacks on the right side of the unit because i had room to. on my composit mod

tbsjordan

I completey forgot about TurboBoosters, one of them would probably fix the issue right?

alexsduo

Yeah, the Turbo booster would work, if the problem is the RF, and the video signal is good from the board...

tbsjordan

Small little update, a collector I know who is scaling back decided to sell me his TG-16 and games so I went ahead a bought it. Here's how the picture is looking on it:

IMG

Goes to show the the other Turbo had something wrong internally. I tried the old one with the new one's cables and still got bad picture.

Not sure what I'll do with the other Turbo (if someone wants to buy/trade for it to fix it up let me know) but I'm happy I finally got a working system.

BlueBMW

And you're using it on a CRT!  Good show :D
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

tbsjordan

I don't even own an LCD tv :P This tv is starting to have some picture issues though, so I may end up having to upgrade sometime soon though  :?

BlueBMW

I wsih tv makers would at a retro mode option to make a modern tv look and function like a crt.  (Including light gun compatibility etc)

alexsduo

That would be cool.... EMS makes a lightgun for projectors and lcd...

http://www.hkems.com/product/xbox/LCDTopGun.htm