RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

PayPal put a hold on my account

Started by turbokon, 10/31/2014, 08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbokon

Hey guys, just a heads up for all the techs out there.  PayPal permanently placed limitation on my account because of the word "Mod" on my website.  So if you're receiving any payment for any mod work or product, make sure there is no word "Mod" in it.  I can't withdraw funds until after 180 days.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Opethian

replace the word "mod" with "cocaine" and youll be ok
IMG

chany60126

Sorry to hear that turbokon. :( Perhaps you should use the word "alteration" instead of "mod" on your site.

turbokon

Quote from: Opethian on 10/31/2014, 09:01 AMreplace the word "mod" with "cocaine" and youll be ok
Lol

Thanks channy.

Anybody know any other online payment service I can use?

I may just create another PayPal account.

www.tg16pcemods.com

NecroPhile

Did they give a reason for holding it for six months?  Their website says 21 days, so raise a stink with 'em and threaten to move to Amazon Payments or something similar.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Opethian

accept bitcoin they don't care
IMG

geise

That's messed up.  Maybe use "Tech Services"?

NecroPhile

technozombie

I'm confused as to why they would be looking out for the word mod anyways.

Maybe Paypal people are rockers.

Gentlegamer

Quote from: technozombie on 10/31/2014, 12:15 PMI'm confused as to why they would be looking out for the word mod anyways.

Maybe Paypal people are rockers.
I'm going to guess "mod" is associated with piracy. I think that's why it's banned on ebay.
IMG

turbokon

Quote from: guest on 10/31/2014, 09:36 AM
Quote from: turbokon on 10/31/2014, 09:27 AMAnybody know any other online payment service I can use?

I may just create another PayPal account.
https://squareup.com/

Seems to be a decent service; at least it was when i was evaluating it a couple of years ago.  Not sure if it is still a good deal.
Thanks nully, I will looking in to square.

It won't be easy changing the website name because of the search optimization engine.

The PayPal person I talked to on the phone yesterday ensured me that the limitation will be lifted swiftly as he doesn't see anything in my website that warrants the limitation being placed. He said the limitation placement was done by a software.  I received an email this morning saying my appeal is denied.

www.tg16pcemods.com

thesteve

I had them freeze mine for the word mod in a payment memo to me, I explained to them it was a payment for a tv compatibility circuit to run older game systems on newer televisions and they unfroze it

thesteve

They freeze on "mod" because of mod chips for playing burns

ToyMachine78

FiftyQuid

I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

SuperPlay

turbokon

Quote from: thesteve on 10/31/2014, 12:58 PMI had them freeze mine for the word mod in a payment memo to me, I explained to them it was a payment for a tv compatibility circuit to run older game systems on newer televisions and they unfroze it
Total forgot you had this same issue.

After some more email exchanges I'm back in business. Woot woot!:)

www.tg16pcemods.com

cjameslv

Quote from: turbokon on 10/31/2014, 04:52 PM
Quote from: thesteve on 10/31/2014, 12:58 PMI had them freeze mine for the word mod in a payment memo to me, I explained to them it was a payment for a tv compatibility circuit to run older game systems on newer televisions and they unfroze it

Yeah thesteve is a wordsmith! It's all in how you say it lol

xcrement5x

Quote from: turbokon on 10/31/2014, 04:52 PM

Nice!  Glad to hear all is resolved!

tggodfrey

deassign your bank account and CC and open a new account.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

turbokon

Quote from: tggodfrey on 11/01/2014, 01:03 PMdeassign your bank account and CC and open a new account.
It's been resolved now but I wouldn't have been able to deassign and close my account anyway during the limitation placement.

www.tg16pcemods.com

Flare65

180 days seems a bit severe.  Since people are sending you equipment to work on, why not accept money orders?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Flare65 on 11/03/2014, 09:20 PM180 days seems a bit severe.  Since people are sending you equipment to work on, why not accept money orders?
Turbokon now accepts payment only in the form of boxes of raisinettes mailed in with your system.

turbokon

Quote from: guest on 11/04/2014, 10:14 AMDid they give a reason for holding it for six months?  Their website says 21 days, so raise a stink with 'em and threaten to move to Amazon Payments or something similar.
I tried to ask what their software looked for but they wouldn't tell me.  As thesteve mentioned, they are probably looking for the word "Mod" and "Chip" for mod chip that would bypass or descramble the manufacturer's feature, security or lockdown.

Anyway it's all good now.  I'm back up with PayPal.

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

Quote from: Flare65 on 11/03/2014, 09:20 PM180 days seems a bit severe.  Since people are sending you equipment to work on, why not accept money orders?
I will take money orders if PayPal isn't an option.

www.tg16pcemods.com

NecroPhile

Are you fishing for a vacation?

PunkCryborg

Did they give a reason for holding it for six months?  Their website says 21 days, so raise a stink with 'em and threaten to move to Amazon Payments or something similar.

esteban

Did they give a reason... 6 years? Hold. On.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG