10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Saber Rider Kickstarter

Started by HailingTheThings, 08/28/2015, 05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 10/02/2015, 06:49 PMWithout a doubt, Contra > Rolling Thunder. That said, RT could have been done right, say, if it had more variety. I didn't care for the door mechanic either. But I'm still looking forward to this.
Oh, I don't mean Rolling Thunder 100%, complete with doors/dicking off.

I just mean the general pacing of the shooting at stuff.

Imagine say, Cyber Cross with mostly guns, and less stumpy-ass-artwork that looks kinda weird.

Honestly, Contra is Contra.  It's never been replicated.  Gunstar Heroes kinda came close, but even that was never as good. 

City Hunter.

That's the PCE equivalent of Rolling Thunder.   I anticipate a game of similar nature in terms of the way you shoot things and dodge things.   Definitely not as warehousey as that, though (sorry Elmer, lol)

or even Shinobi.   I personally think this is a game more akin to the PC Engine's library, and would fit in better than
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

DeshDildo

Well, I was openly skeptical about this project but now that I know Ark is working on it I funded it.  My insurance policy is if Arkhan screws up he's a short 2 hour drive away for me to kick him in the nuts.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

esteban

Quote from: Desh on 10/02/2015, 09:41 PMWell, I was openly skeptical about this project but now that I know Ark is working on it I funded it.  My insurance policy is if Arkhan screws up he's a short 2 hour drive away for me to kick him in the nuts.
Jahahajajaha.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

A Black Falcon

Wait, so is the Turbo CD version going to be an original game and not a port of the 3DS game?  And what about the DC version then, for whoever's doing that one? Huh.  It is good to hear Arkhan is working on the TCD version though, that does give me more confidence in it.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 10/02/2015, 03:59 AM
Quote from: NightWolve on 10/02/2015, 03:57 AMAh, so somebody here is handling the PCE port, huh... I see... :)
;)

I didn't want to say anything because it was kind of funny to watch the skepticism and speculation.

\o/

I was honestly hoping for more guessing at who'd be working on it, though.  lol
I was guessing it was maybe some group of coders n' such that I wasn't familiar with, maybe some of the French that got coding skillz.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Porting the 3DS one would be a disaster, due to the 3DS being a much more capable machine, and the graphics hardware differences.

Coming up with a fresh, similar idea is a better idea.   Especially when we can essentially plan it to be in line with other PCE games.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

A Black Falcon

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. 

Oh, and I LOVE Rolling Thunder, so I like hearing that that game will be one of your inspirations... I'm probably one of the few people out there who likes Rolling Thunder more than Contra (and this goes for the NES games of those same names as well.)  My favorite run & gun series is Metal Slug, for the record, but Rolling Thunder is fantastic and one of my favorite '80s arcade games.

_Paul

What we'll be doing is taking the design of the other versions and seeing how to make it best fit a PCE. So we will follow it to a degree, but change/improve depending on how we feel to best serve the gameplay, given the limitations we have.

shubibiman

Great, great news indeed !
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Psycho Punch

How much $$$ you getting to do it Arkhan? :lol:

At least in my mind it's not vaporware anymore with impossible ports for older consoles being announced. I trust Arkhan will be able to deliver a great game.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

ParanoiaDragon

Make it like the old Robocop arcade game!

Anyways, looking forward to this even more now that I know Ark & Paul are behind the helm!
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 10/03/2015, 05:45 PMMake it like the old Robocop arcade game!

Anyways, looking forward to this even more now that I know Ark & Paul are behind the helm!
One of my favorite Data East arcade games :)

ParanoiaDragon

Same here, at least, that's what my memories tell me.  Haven't played it since I was a kid.
IMG

_Paul

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 10/03/2015, 05:45 PMMake it like the old Robocop arcade game!

I was thinking exactly the same thing but with slightly faster gameplay. Like a cross between Robocop and Sunset Riders.
Bear in mimd that we can't stray too far from the other versions, but I think this would work out well for the PCE.

technozombie

I like the idea of version differences, it makes it more like the old days where different teams made the ports a la Aladdin.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: technozombie on 10/04/2015, 05:06 AMI like the idea of version differences, it makes it more like the old days where different teams made the ports a la Aladdin.
and Pirates of Darkwater!

and a bunch of other titles like that.

edit:

and yeah, the Robocop arcade game is another good example of the kind of shooting that would make more sense in this game. 

Honestly, something like Vigilante with guns + Saber Rider art would be pretty sweet as it is. 

anyone who thinks Vigilante isn't a good game probably doesn't actually like the PCE.

technozombie

OK I'm in for the standard PCE version. My first time to back a kickstarter.

schweaty

The shipping is soul-crushing.  $19?  This better be good Ark

technozombie

Quote from: schweaty on 10/04/2015, 08:51 PMThe shipping is soul-crushing.  $19?  This better be good Ark
Yeah $19 is a bit steep for shipping.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: technozombie on 10/04/2015, 09:53 PM
Quote from: schweaty on 10/04/2015, 08:51 PMThe shipping is soul-crushing.  $19?  This better be good Ark
Yeah $19 is a bit steep for shipping.
19$ is hella-steep for shipping. Complete

NightWolve

I don't even know why you would set the shipping price in the present, much less one that insults people's intelligence a bit... They had nothing, it's a "fund me and we'll figure most of it out later" campaign after all, like NecroPhile said... Putting down $19 in advance is essentially including an extra "work tax" with it from the get-go.

Arkhan Asylum

I think the shipping stuff is sort of automagically generated, assuming the location of Germany.  I have nothing to do with that. 

if we're distributing it from the USA, I would think everyone would get a kickback on that.  ...

and then the overseas people would get a "... hey you owe us more shipping..."

or something.

DeshDildo

Quote from: guest on 10/05/2015, 05:11 AMI think the shipping stuff is sort of automagically generated, assuming the location of Germany.  I have nothing to do with that. 

if we're distributing it from the USA, I would think everyone would get a kickback on that.  ...

and then the overseas people would get a "... hey you owe us more shipping..."

or something.
Perhaps they just figured a flat rate and added a bit to cover their butts.  If say the PCE version ships from U.S. all in the U.S. would have cheap shipping cost but, those that are across the world may be $20 or more.  Same for the other versions depending on where they are being shipped.  It's crappy but whatever. 

Ark should shit us out a solid gold masterpiece and it will be worth it.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

LostFlunky

Haha at you guys crying over shipping.  Try living outside the states for a while...

Not only do I regularly get charged extra for shipping, because of the extreme inconvenience, but I usually seem to get charged double and sometimes triple the value of the stamps attached to my packages... I am sure I am not alone...

_Paul

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 10/05/2015, 10:11 AMHaha at you guys crying over shipping.  Try living outside the states for a while...

Not only do I regularly get charged extra for shipping, because of the extreme inconvenience, but I usually seem to get charged double and sometimes triple the value of the stamps attached to my packages... I am sure I am not alone...
This!

Damn customs charges.

PCEngineFX

I too was wondering who would handle the PCE port (I also backed it, of course) but glad to see we are in good hands............

Now if we can get it before June 2017 :P
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

TeamSaberRider

I am sorry but this shipping costs are real.
And this 19 USD are already a special deal we got.
Normal shipping with DHL to the US is 49 EURO...
Power stride and ready to ride!

deubeul

German post is crazy expensive, even from a neighbour country.

NightWolve

Quote from: teamsaberrider on 10/05/2015, 02:23 PMI am sorry but this shipping costs are real.
If Arkhan is the US contact to develop and press the CDs, you might as well let him distribute it from the US as he's mentioning. If this is just about the PCE port, that is. You simply need a US contact to handle shipping from within. Problem solved, and it's not you in Europe shipping to the US each time per order, and a US buyer having to convert dollars to Euros, and lose out there too.

In their defense, that's the other thing, $19 USD is $17 Euros at this point. Which can change between then and now.

Arkhan Asylum

It might be more cost effective for us to distribute.   They'd just need to ship me a crate of all the Ltd. loot stuff.

Depends on if there are more European orders vs. USA ones or not.

but yeah, international shipping rates are terrible now.

NightWolve

Yeah, that's a good point. If minimum pressing order is 1,000 CDs, you keep 500, handle US orders, you ship the other 500 back to him in Europe for European orders. Another straightforward, easy way out of this, etc. And if it turns out there's more orders from one continent versus the other, you adjust as needed (he sends you back more, or you send him back more, etc).

PCEngineHell

Quote from: teamsaberrider on 10/05/2015, 02:23 PMI am sorry but this shipping costs are real.
If your plan is to use DHL, then good luck with that. They are fucking terrible, at like, everything. Back when I worked for FTD.com in their customer service like every day I would have to handle/fix at least 5-10 vendor related orders lost or damaged by DHL. Then you factor in all the orders my co-workers had to fix because they had to fix DHL's fuck ups also, and it just gets to be too much.

Want some insight into how bad DHL is?

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/delivery/dhl.html

technozombie

I figure it doesn't matter too much how much the shipping is or even if the game is good. I'll just get my money's worth just talking shit to Arkan until June 2017 :)

NecroPhile

All I know is it better have a saved high score screen or I'm gonna punch Ark right in the ovaries.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

technozombie

Quote from: guest on 10/05/2015, 07:16 PMAll I know is it better have a saved high score screen or I'm gonna punch Ark right in the ovaries.
I want to see a Rings of Power style secret title screen.

IMG
https://opcfg.kontek.net/archive/naughtydog.html

NecroPhile

ring of power = areola?

That definitely earns the NecroPhile seal of approval.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/05/2015, 07:50 PMring of power = areola?

That definitely earns the NecroPhile seal of approval.
Hairy areola and I'm in.

NecroPhile

Check your PMs for pics.  :mrgreen:

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/05/2015, 08:14 PMCheck your PMs for pics.  :mrgreen:
Thank you!

Now, don't bother me for the next few minutes.

:)

wildfruit

Shipping sounds expensive but that's the deal these days. Royal mail used to be cheap but not anymore.
A small parcel <1kg (which is what I expect this would be) tracked to USA is currently £12.45, which is almost bang on $19

Bardoly

I also supported this Kickstarter - for the $118 option.  I really hope that the PC Engine version turns out great.   [-o&lt; [-o&lt; [-o&lt;