Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Patch Released!

Started by Burnt Lasagna, 09/24/2012, 06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailingTheThings

Quote from: NightWolve on 02/10/2015, 06:34 PMYou gave him a link to a fully pre-patched image and he's still at it...
Yeah, I'm a little confused. If I had known he couldn't even get the easiest way imaginable to treat him right, I wouldn't have even bothered. I was just trying to shoo him away. Shit. Also, sorry for making a boo-boo by linking that. I modified it to erase my mistake. HailingTheIdiot doesn't wanna become HailingTheBanned.
IMG

wildfruit

Having recently purchased a briefcase my first super cd I bought was Ys IV. After giving it a play in the origins Japanese I've spent tonight turboripping the disc and patching the text/dub. May I say Mr mightwolve I am most grateful. Its a great job. Please pass on my regards to your colleagues.

NightWolve

IMG

tbone3969

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

natos312

Hey guys,

I have 2 images of the ys IV cd, and both only have CUE\ISO files. I do not know how to mount them or burn them properly?

They are CUE and ISO, and do not have WAV files, and when I try to mount or burn the CUE file, it says its unrecognizable format.

I am using ULTRAISO to do the mount or burn. but I can't get it to recognize it, should I be using something else?

Please help!!!

ddoubledee

I almost forgot about this... OMG!! I played this in Japanese back in the day with a translation-guide... Then again with the text translation patch... and now... I have to play this yet again! :O

NightWolve

Is the ISO ~700+ MB ? Then it's a full CD image rip and it might be good. If it's only 60 MB, then it's missing all the wave files and it's garbage. Try burning the CUE file with ImgBurn - http://www.imgburn.com/

mukanshin

Well, the site keeps saying my attachment size is too large, so you'll have to take my word for it that I'm enjoying Ys IV on my PCEngine Duo R thanks to the folks who translated and dubbed it.

T2KFreeker

After having this for so long, I finally really jumped into this other than  just testing for a few and seeing if it would work. This translation is really well made Guys. I'm sure you got all that praise back in the thread, but had to dump my ten cents here. I'd buy this on a silverbacked disc if it were available. For shame we never officially got this on the Turbo in the US. Really a missed opportunity as thus far, I like this better than I like Ys III.
END OF LINE.

NightWolve

You're welcome! It's actually the biggest project counting team members I ever worked on and it took some of the greatest known talents to make it possible!

Neill Corlett -  Advanced SNES hacker/reverse engineer/reprogrammer for Seiken Densetsu 3, Bahamut Lagoon, Magic Knight Rayearth, etc. Known for so many impressive things, only that link that lists most would do it justice! We dumped the Ys IV Japanese script together with some basic info on my part and thanks to his early work on the project before I came along such as the LZSS decompression code.

David Shadoff - Senior PhD-level Software Engineer from Canada that helped me by reversing Neill's LZSS "C" decompression code for Ys IV after Neill left the project to me and he also helped me hack the 8x16 font. He's a high-priced IT consultant these days that makes a great living, a rare talent I was lucky enough to get for free!

2 Translators - Shimarisu and B.J.DeuceBag (location-industry cheat Cock-Flasher/Ambulance-Crasher Jeff Nussbaum - him/Lipschultz/KKKen Berry don't pay OR credit their workers/partners), although, as many know, DeuceBag worked out to being a criminal monster of epic proportions that cheated me out of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity in commercializing 4 scripts from our fan projects with X.X.XSEED Games, and pocketing 100% payment/credit, then playing stupid/silent for some 3 years about it! He commercially profited from thousands of my free fan work hours for Japanese script extraction/preparation and my 100% legal translation software... He's a stain on the project, but he is responsible for finishing 200 strings that Shimarisu didn't and he found a transcription of the Ys IV voice-acting by a famous Japanese fan, Sugimo, which he also translated via WWWJDIC to eventually dub or subtitle the game.

2 Dubbing Directors - Justus Johnston and BurntLasagna, I began the dubbing attempt with Justus, but he only got so far. We owe him the dubbing of the opening which was fantastically done and recruiting the voice actor for Dogi. Burnt I met in 2012, and we finished it off, so add in all the voice actors that were recruited too like ParanoiaDragon known for homebrew work (Mysterious Song), SkyeWelse who has done many notable things and projects over the years, etc.!

Other Special Thanks: D-BOY for the image software to help with the insertion of a new 8x16 font and then you list all the people for testing, advice, etc. over the years, yeah, basically, it wasn't the usual 1 programmer + 1 translator standard of most fan translation projects! Serious and widely known talent came together for this one, issues with some notwithstanding!

Anyway, I ran into an awesome interview collection with the staff (both Hudson & Falcom) of Ys IV if anyone is interested!

"Ys IV Developer Interview Collection"
https://shmuplations.com/ysiv/

IMG
The Ys IV development team, with series director
Masayuki Katou (upper right) and arranger Ryo Yonemitsu (lower left) .

Some Highlights:

QuoteMasayuki Katou - Director

—This fourth installment of Ys was produced in a very unusual way, wasn't it? Normally the Ys games are ported to other systems by other companies, but this time you could almost say there wasn't an "original" to begin with.

Katou: Yeah, that's very true. We at Falcom couldn't seem to get a plan for Ys IV off the ground by ourselves, and at that time Hudson approached us and said they'd like to do a sequel. We talked about a game where we would make the story and music, and Hudson would do the system and gameplay.
Quote—What do the other staff at Nihon Falcom think of Ys IV?

Katou: They wanted to make it all themselves, but with the current workload, it just wasn't going to be possible. Many of the staff at Nihon Falcom love Ys, so naturally they want to do it. However, we don't understand today's PC market very well. It seems to have moved from the PC-8801 to the PC-9801. I'm wondering if PC-9801 users are interested in an Ys game. Our current PC game, Eiyuu Densetsu III, is also geared more towards adults. In that sense I think releasing Ys IV for the PC Engine was the right choice.
Pretty long one with music arranger Ryo Yonemitsu too, one of THE best of the best in the videogame music business!

ParanoiaDragon

Wow, interesting read!  It really sounds to me like Hudson was the instigator or catalyst behind Ys 4.  Makes me wonder a few things.  How did Tonkin' House get involved, what happened with Sega/Falcom, & was there an X68000 version worked on at all.  Also makes me wonder if there was any talk whatsoever of Falcom doing Ys 5 on PCE.
IMG

esteban

NightWolve, that page was great.

Lots of neat little things:

Quote"...(ignoring that) I think Ys I and II were great games, but playing them now, I realize they also have some old-fashioned parts. Like the Fire spell, the way it just sends out a single-sprite width little puff of fire. I'd say there's room for improvement there."
A little puff of fire, indeed!

And the credits (from Humor Network) had little messages from the folks who worked on various parts of the game, it was fun when folks mentioned specific elements (tile work for buildings, event planning) or moments in the game (a boss's entrance) that he/she labored over.

For example, one artist/designer implored folks to notice how the villages had an organic "lived in" feel to them...little nuances like this are fun.

I also liked how the director(?) was still defending Ys III's perspective (side ire action platformer) while acknowledging that fans wanted a return to Ys II.

ANYWAY, it was a fun read. These pieces never get too in-depth, so this was pretty good at providing some details about the Falcom-Hudson arrangement.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NightWolve

Ah cool, glad you guys liked the read. I was thinking of putting the link in its own thread, but the timing of T2K's post here and not sure if it should go separate led to amending my post with it.

seieienbu

Neat read.  My favorite part was where they discussed how the music was based off of both classical and metal. 

...which is all pretty obvious to anyone that's listened to the soundtrack but hey, neat nevertheless.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: seieienbu on 07/24/2015, 05:11 AMNeat read.  My favorite part was where they discussed how the music was based off of both classical and metal. 

...which is all pretty obvious to anyone that's listened to the soundtrack but hey, neat nevertheless.
True dat.  I've mostly focused on the Prog rock feel of the music over the years, but yeah, Classical is definitely there!
IMG

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: seieienbu on 07/24/2015, 05:11 AMNeat read.  My favorite part was where they discussed how the music was based off of both classical and metal. 

Can't forget the Yngwie Malsteem influence. :)

tbone3969

Anyone willing to sell a CIB copy with a lightscribed disc or another disc that looks professional?  Let me know.  Thanks
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

ClodBusted

Lol.

And by the way, thank you Nightwolve, I can't appreciate your work enough.

tbone3969

Quote from: guest on 07/24/2015, 05:09 PMLol.
I could just do it myself.  Lazy I guess.  I never figured out how to print nice circular stickers that go on a disc and if I wanna go the lightscribe route (I have seen some nice lightscribed images on here) I would have to pick up a lightscribe burner and discs.

I am down to trade as well.

NightWolve

tbone3969

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/24/2015, 06:57 PMT to the tur-bone, brother!
Hey NightWolve, you seem like a pretty cool dude.  Did you get your name from the Mortal Kombat character?  I always liked using him in UMK3.

NightWolve

Somewhat, but then I liked the "Wolverine" sound better for the end syllable. I don't like the 'f' sound out of wolf. You could think of it as shorthand for NightWolverine, but yeah, I did start by using the avatar of Nightwolf from UMK3.

esteban

Quote from: tbone3969 on 07/24/2015, 07:07 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 07/24/2015, 06:57 PMT to the tur-bone, brother!
Hey NightWolve, you seem like a pretty cool dude.  Did you get your name from the Mortal Kombat character ?  I always liked using him in UMK3.
T-bone, meet....

IMG

NightWolve

tbone3969

I don't know who that Turbo B guy is but he looks bad ass. 

He is a beat boxer like that guy from the Fat Boys.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: tbone3969 on 07/25/2015, 10:02 AM...blah...
You ever sell dat sealed Dragon Slayer for dat incredibly stupid price you were asking?
IMG

tbone3969

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 07/28/2015, 10:13 PM
You ever sell dat sealed Dragon Slayer for dat incredibly stupid price you were asking?
Nope.  I was offered $300 for on it on NA a few years ago.  I should have taken it I think but it's my only sealed TurboGrafx game.  It's all good.  I'll just hold onto it.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: tbone3969 on 07/28/2015, 10:16 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 07/28/2015, 10:13 PM
Nope.  I was offered $300 for on it on NA a few years ago.  I should have taken it I think but it's my only sealed TurboGrafx game.  It's all good.  I'll just hold onto it.
Open it. Like for real.
IMG

escarioth

Might as well try this patch :)
i never played YS IV

that is if i can find a way to burn it  :roll:
US Hucards     :  86/94 (1 repro)
US CD-games  : 40/44 (3 repros)
total complete with boxes 54/111

NightWolve

Quote from: escarioth on 08/12/2015, 06:41 AMMight as well try this patch :)
i never played YS IV

that is if i can find a way to burn it  :roll:
If you can patch the ISO/WAV/CUE CD image file set, select the CUE file to burn with ImgBurn:

ysutopia.net/../ImgBurn.zip

Also, burn at the slowest speed possible.

escarioth

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/12/2015, 12:52 PMIf you can patch the ISO/WAV/CUE image file set, select the CUE file to burn with ImgBurn - https://www.ysutopia.net/software/ImgBurn.zip

Also, burn at the slowest speed possible.
Oh thank you :) i think i've read something about how to do it back on YSutopia  :mrgreen:
i just ordered a legal copy just to be sure that this burned copy sits along with a real one
i hope that my pc back home has a cd/dvd burner.... i've never used it..
 ....i think its a burner if i recall... err... :-k anyway.

can't wait to get another taste of your impressive work
  [-o<

NightWolve

Yeah, and if you can't patch your own copy, just PM me and I'll link ya to a fully patched Ys IV CD image file set. Your only job will be to download, unzip it, and learn how to use ImgBurn and remember to select the CUE file to burn, not the ISO, etc.!

escarioth

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/12/2015, 02:19 PMYeah, and if you can't patch your own copy, just PM me and I'll link ya to a fully patched Ys IV CD image file set. Your only job will be to download, unzip it, and learn how to use ImgBurn and remember to select the CUE file to burn, not the ISO, etc.!
perfect  :o

tbone3969

Well I finally figured out why I couldn't get the voices to work in Ys IV (English Patched).  Turns out it is my PC Engine DUO.  Voices and other sounds will not play on many games.  Might be a cap thing IDK.  I dusted off my TurboGrafx CD system this weekend and it plays fine in that system.   :P

rxmage

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to give a big thank you to Burnt Lasagna and NightWolve for their time and effort on this English version of Ys IV.  All your hard work is appreciated!  I have had both patches on my hard drive for quite a while, but finally got a round to performing the patches today.  Absolutely incredible!  The voice acting is top notch!

Thanks
Chad

NightWolve

It was very satisfying to finally see the whole game translated. I wouldn't mind to one day retranslate the script with SamIAm though. It deserves much better than what it got, noble as it was. Some translators are just better than others.

SamIAm

You might want to reserve judgement on that one until the Xanadus come out. I just might be a hack.  8-[

NightWolve

esteban

Magister

Is there already a patched zip file of this somewhere?  I tried to do all the steps to patch Ys IV and have failed at it.

Edit:  Thanks for help.  You know who you are.   :)
This Space For Rent.

tbone3969

Quote from: Magister on 02/02/2017, 10:34 PMIs there already a patched zip file of this somewhere?  I tried to do all the steps to patch Ys IV and have failed at it.

Edit:  Thanks for help.  You know who you are.   :)
PMd

elmer

Let the battle begin  :wink: ...

Ys IV vs The Legend of Xanadu : J.D.K. Band 4

varikares

I didn't know that channel existed :o

Now I know what I'm listening to for the next week

esteban

Quote from: varikares on 03/21/2017, 03:47 AMI didn't know that channel existed :o

Now I know what I'm listening to for the next week
This playlist is awesome.

Damn!

elmer

Excellent work guys, I finally goofed-off long enough to finish the game.  :dance:

Seriously ... without the dub, I wouldn't have enjoyed it half as much.

Thanks for all your hard work, and the same to everyone that contributed their voice to the dub!

CrackTiger

Anyone know how to patch the text translation for Ys IVB and Xak III in 64-bit Windows 10?

The Ys IV dub patch seemed to work fine.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

tobasoft

Quote from: SamIAm on 06/14/2016, 02:39 AMYou might want to reserve judgement on that one until the Xanadus come out. I just might be a hack.  8-[
so erm....any news on those releases?

::patiently awaiting::

::dying::

squerol

Quote from: guest on 03/18/2018, 06:01 PMAnyone know how to patch the text translation for Ys IVB and Xak III in 64-bit Windows 10?

The Ys IV dub patch seemed to work fine.
Apply patch on 32-bit machine. I've done that with VirtualBox with 32bit Windows XP installed on it.

By the way, is it only me, or field/exploration music sounds a lot muted compared to city/gameover/shop/getting item music?

squerol

Quote from: squerol on 04/18/2018, 10:14 AMBy the way, is it only me, or field/exploration music sounds a lot muted compared to city/gameover/shop/getting item music?
nvm figured it out, the tracks from cd are less noisy than pce chip generated music not from wav tracks. increased volume of wav files solved the problem of quiet cd tracks.

spenoza

PCE CD games are notorious for low CDDA volume. I know it's to make sure an important sound effect never gets lost (because that can get you killed in some games), but when they do music they don't always lower the PSG volume to match the CDDA volume.