@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Ever wish that a game's soundtrack/BGM was louder?

Started by vacantplanets, 10/25/2015, 02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vacantplanets

(Hope it's okay to make another thread about this to talk about the PCE CD games.)

Ever wish you could hear a game's soundtrack better over the sound effects? :D

Thanks to SamIAm, games with amplified music are here! (https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=19673.0)

So far, I've uploaded my modified versions of Nexzr, Spriggan, Sapphire, Rayxanber III, Lords of Thunder, Gate of Thunder, Rondo of Blood, and Blast Wind (Saturn).

I boosted the bass significantly on Nexzr and a tiny bit on Spriggan.

We won't discuss where to find them. Google is your friend. e.g. "nexzr amplified music"

If anyone can think of a game that desperately needs its BGM boosted (like Blast Wind, Rayxanber III, etc.), let me know. ;)
I'd rather be playing guitar or listening to a PC Engine CD soundtrack.

Currently playing PC Engine, Saturn, and SNES MSU1.

tbone3969

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

PukeSter

Chiki Chiki Boys does have loud sound effects.

vacantplanets

Quote from: guest on 10/25/2015, 04:36 PMChiki Chiki Boys does have loud sound effects.
Yeah it does.

Well now I've just uploaded my version so let me know how it is!  :)

vacantplanets

Okay people, let's keep an open mind here...  :D

I just uploaded Lords of Thunder for the PCE CD with the Sega CD soundtrack.  8-[

I'm not saying that it's better, so lets not argue about that--because now we can have both soundtracks! Replay value FTW.  :lol:

vacantplanets

Also just uploaded Darius 2 for Sega Saturn with the (yes I'll say it this time) SUPERIOR PC Engine CD soundtrack!  :D

o.pwuaioc

I gotta try the Lords of Thunder one. The sound effects have always made me review it a notch lower than most folks, especially since the collecting aspect means that that ding is always going off.

TurboXray

I did this years ago with Sylphia. That sound track was just way too quiet.

ParanoiaDragon

Sylphia, that's the exact reason I came into this thread, but Tom beat me to the punch!
IMG

SamIAm

I think the track order is different in the Sega CD version of Lords of Thunder. You might want to check on that.

vacantplanets

Quote from: TurboXray on 10/26/2015, 01:52 AMI did this years ago with Sylphia. That sound track was just way too quiet.
Nice. Yeah, that's a quiet one. I'll have to do that and try that game out again. I didn't really get into it. I'll do it tomorrow.

By the way, I love NES2PCE Mega Man (2), Mega Man CD, Gate of Thunder Force, etc. Do you have any plans for something next? Also, since you're a Mega Man fan, you might be interested in a mod for X3 that lets you play as Zero throughout the entire game. It's called Mega Man X3 Zero Project and it works great. One more thing--did you know that Mega Man Anniversary Collection on PS2 has remixed soundtracks for MM 1-3? Maybe you could use those soundtracks if you ever do Mega Man 2/3 CD. The drums and bass are heavier rock/metal than the electronic sound of Powered Up.  :D

Quote from: guest on 10/26/2015, 01:39 AMI gotta try the Lords of Thunder one. The sound effects have always made me review it a notch lower than most folks, especially since the collecting aspect means that that ding is always going off.
That's understandable. If it still bothers you, check out the one with the Sega CD OST too. That one seemed to come out louder. You can't hear the ding at all during a loud part of a song.

Quote from: SamIAm on 10/26/2015, 02:09 AMI think the track order is different in the Sega CD version of Lords of Thunder. You might want to check on that.
You're right. I did have to change the track numbers.  :)

TurboXray

All this talk about LOT track orders reminds about the dual boot SegaCD/PC-Engine LOT disc. I thought Black Tiger had a video of it, but I can't seem to find it. I have it uploaded somewhere.. here: http://www.pcedev.net/Lords_of_Thunder_dual_boot/ . It has to be burned to a CD-R to work (it won't load in emulators correctly without mounting it.. I think).

Some of the SegaCD sound FX were a bit annoying in LOT.

CrackTiger

Sega had my youtube channel deleted to promote another shitty Shining bastardization. The external hard drive that most of my videos were stored on died. Among the many videos on my to-do list, will be shooting a new 1080p LoT bicompatible video.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

vacantplanets

TurboXray

NecroPhile

Quote from: TurboXray on 10/27/2015, 10:07 AMUploaded to where?
Quote from: vacantplanets on 10/25/2015, 02:34 PMWe won't discuss where to find them. Google is your friend. e.g. "nexzr sylphia amplified music"
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

MotherGunner

I used the google search and clicked on the first hit and BOOM, virus.  BEWARE.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

vacantplanets

Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/27/2015, 01:10 PMI used the google search and clicked on the first hit and BOOM, virus.  BEWARE.
Virus? You mean nasty looking pop ups? I've heard the site has those, but I'm using AdBlock and I've never seen one. I also use spybot and its browser immunization, if that makes a difference here. Are you using adblock?

I've been using the site a lot and my PC doesn't have a virus.

NecroPhile

Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/27/2015, 01:10 PMI used the google search and clicked on the first hit and BOOM, virus.  BEWARE.
Ha!  I turned off adblock for a bit and that site is indeed a trainwreck.  I don't know why anyone would choose to frequent and use such a scummy, phishing bullshit site, but it kinda settles the question of why Aaron wouldn't want this site linked to or associated with such a dump.

PukeSter

Quote from: vacantplanets on 10/27/2015, 01:34 PM
Virus? You mean nasty looking pop ups? I've heard the site has those, but I'm using AdBlock and I've never seen one. I also use spybot and its browser immunization, if that makes a difference here. Are you using adblock?

Vacant, NecroPhile is pretty eager to ban you my friend.

You seem like a cool guy, so I would upload those on a less shitty site. Easily the worst place to pick.

NightWolve

Quote from: vacantplanets on 10/27/2015, 01:34 PMI also use spybot and its browser immunization, if that makes a difference here. Are you using adblock?
Yeah, it's time I added an extension like AdBlock. That Google Chrome by itself can get trapped in an infinite message box loop while an obnoxious "You have a virus, call this number!" message is playing in the background is disturbing enough!

NecroPhile

Quote from: PukeSter on 10/27/2015, 04:53 PMVacant, NecroPhile is pretty eager to ban you my friend.
I'm really not; he took the links down, so there's no problem here.  Unless they've fucked up repeatedly for other stuff, everyone just gets warnings for posting iso links.

The site he's using is a turd, but it's only a problem if you're surfing teh webs unprotected; and if you can't strap a Trojan on your computer, you probably shouldn't be downloading isos.

ParanoiaDragon

In regards to Mega Man's 1-3 on the Anniversary Colletion, IIRC, they aren't complete soundtracks.  I think only 4-6 have complete alternate soundtracks.  In any case, if Bonknuts someday does cd versions of MM's 2 & 3, I'll make my own versions of the tunes as I have been doing for MM 1.  That way, at the very least, it'll be a nice united sounding soundtrack.  However, if Armageddon comes before then, well, I make no guarantee's that I'll do MM 2 & 3. :)  I plan on doing the Jackal soundtrack next, but we'll see once I'm done with MM1.
IMG

vacantplanets

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 10/27/2015, 08:09 PMIn regards to Mega Man's 1-3 on the Anniversary Colletion, IIRC, they aren't complete soundtracks.  I think only 4-6 have complete alternate soundtracks.  In any case, if Bonknuts someday does cd versions of MM's 2 & 3, I'll make my own versions of the tunes as I have been doing for MM 1.  That way, at the very least, it'll be a nice united sounding soundtrack.  However, if Armageddon comes before then, well, I make no guarantee's that I'll do MM 2 & 3. :)  I plan on doing the Jackal soundtrack next, but we'll see once I'm done with MM1.
Oh damn you're right. I read it wrong before--I thought only 1-3 had new soundtracks. Oh well, I love the soundtrack to 5 so I'm going to check it out now. It's on Youtube under Complete Works.

I'd like to check out your music. Do you have anything uploaded?

ParanoiaDragon

Nope, nothing uploaded yet.  I want to hold off on revealing the soundtrack until it's done.  I want people to hear the whole thing, rather than pieces at a time.  Of coarse I know it won't be perfect, I hope most people enjoy it.  I'm putting a lot of work into it, including extra songs, with my favorite being my tune for MM1's Wily.  That particular tune is a mix of the regular Wily boss theme, Wily Machine from MM9, Wily Machine from Mega Man & Bass, & a song called Incident Occurrence from Battle Network 2.  I made that one last summer, & still remains my favorite track for my MM1 ost.
IMG

vacantplanets

Quote from: guest on 10/27/2015, 04:53 PM
Quote from: vacantplanets on 10/27/2015, 01:34 PM

Vacant, NecroPhile is pretty eager to ban you my friend.

You seem like a cool guy, so I would upload those on a less shitty site. Easily the worst place to pick.
I appreciate you looking out for me.

As I understand it, we can't link to any site that has anything to do with ROMs, emulators, ISOs, etc. so it wouldn't make a difference where I picked. I'm curious which site you would recommend though. EP?

SamIAm

I played Hyper Duel on the Saturn with a friend a couple days ago, and damn are the sound effects too loud.

The problem with applying the process to this one is that you run into clipping really fast, but after some consideration, I think it would be worth it anyway. This is one of those cases where it really needs to be amped by at least 10 in Audacity. You simply cannot hear the melodies at all otherwise.

I think bumping up Layer Section by about 5-10 would be good as well. It's not as bad, but the sound effects definitely dominate the music.

vacantplanets

Quote from: SamIAm on 10/30/2015, 11:25 PMI played Hyper Duel on the Saturn with a friend a couple days ago, and damn are the sound effects too loud.

The problem with applying the process to this one is that you run into clipping really fast, but after some consideration, I think it would be worth it anyway. This is one of those cases where it really needs to be amped by at least 10 in Audacity. You simply cannot hear the melodies at all otherwise.

I think bumping up Layer Section by about 5-10 would be good as well. It's not as bad, but the sound effects definitely dominate the music.
Good call. I love Hyper Duel and its OST. Layer Section is a little slow after playing a ton of shooters recently, but I like it and its OST regardless. Now you're making me want to do Thunder Force V and Wolf Fang Kuuga 2001 too. Do you know Wolf Fang? I discovered it recently thanks to VenomMacbeth.

I hope you won't be too disappointed by this--but 10 sounds like a lot! I don't know if I've done 10 to any game so far. I want to, but I'm scared of it clipping and sounding like distorted shit.

Not sure if you've been downloading my stuff but let me know what you think of Nexzr and Spriggan if you do. I've boosted the bass in those ones and I'm not sure if it was too much.

I also just uploaded Mega Man X3 (Saturn) with the original SNES OST and Wipeout 2097 with the original Wipeout 1 soundtrack if anyone's interested.

SamIAm

It really just depends on the game. Cotton and Terraforming could go up to 10 with almost no clipping except on a few loud drum hits, and that's not something I mind compromising at all.

Sigh...I just downloaded Hyper Dual and had a quick look. It is ALREADY clipping like crazy. That's how they mastered it. Bumping it up by more than five, which it really needs IMHO, makes it clip almost constantly. What a shame.

vacantplanets

Quote from: SamIAm on 10/31/2015, 12:28 AMIt really just depends on the game. Cotton and Terraforming could go up to 10 with almost no clipping except on a few loud drum hits, and that's not something I mind compromising at all.

Sigh...I just downloaded Hyper Dual and had a quick look. It is ALREADY clipping like crazy. That's how they mastered it. Bumping it up by more than five, which it really needs IMHO, makes it clip almost constantly. What a shame.
I gotcha. I believe I boosted Sylphia a lot too.

I'm going to start really listening to the tracks after they're boosted and clipping to see if I can even hear it. I just assumed that it would be obvious but maybe not. I wanna see how far it can be pushed.

There's also compression and EQ to play with. Maybe putting a little compression and then boosting certain frequencies will get it to cut through the sound effects. I'm thinking boost 63hz a little for bass. Then boost the upper mids and treble starting a little at 2k and then more and more as you work your way up. More at 4k, even more at 6, 8, etc. If you don't feel up to playing with different frequencies in the EQ, try just using the bass and treble adjustments.

EDIT: My version of Hyper Duel is uploaded. I used the compressor, then amplified by 7, then boosted the treble in the EQ something like this pic below.

esteban

Damn! I missed a lot of neat things, such as this thread!

I fully support this "project" :)

I always wondered why strong songs/soundtracks were intentionally  and deliberately eviscerated in the final product (the game experience). I'm not saying the soundtrack has to dominate the experience...

UNRELATED QUESTION: Can you minimize the "hiss" present (left channel) in the first stage music in Valis II? The hiss is found on both JP and NA versions (back in the day, I hoped it was just a mastering error in the NA release...)

https://junk.tg-16.com/audio/Valis_II/Track_34.mp3

I'm not sure if the hiss is in both L and R, but it certainly is dominant in the left channel. For the entire track. :(
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

vacantplanets

Quote from: esteban on 12/20/2015, 06:58 AMDamn! I missed a lot of neat things, such as this thread!

I fully support this "project" :)

I always wondered why strong songs/soundtracks were intentionally  and deliberately eviscerated in the final product (the game experience). I'm not saying the soundtrack has to dominate the experience...

UNRELATED QUESTION: Can you minimize the "hiss" present (left channel) in the first stage music in Valis II? The hiss is found on both JP and NA versions (back in the day, I hoped it was just a mastering error in the NA release...)

https://junk.tg-16.com/audio/Valis_II/Track_34.mp3

I'm not sure if the hiss is in both L and R, but it certainly is dominant in the left channel. For the entire track. :(
Thanks! Glad you like it. Yeah, something like Rayxanber III desperately needed this because of the sound effects.

I'll look into that Valis II thing but I can't promise anything. I can barely tell it's even there and I thought my OCD on these things was bad, haha. :D

Oh, I also did Cotton and all my stuff is uploaded to epforums now.

esteban

^ Yeah, I have bad OCD. :)

Especially with noises/sounds.

NightWolve

esteban

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/31/2015, 11:18 PM
Quote from: esteban on 12/20/2015, 06:58 AMhttps://junk.tg-16.com/audio/Valis_II/Track_34.mp3
Hey, nice ole track! I have the game and don't remember this.
RANDOM: Someone (from central or South America?...like Brazil?) recorded a piano-only arrangement years ago...I used to have the file but it was lost in a harddrive fire years ago.

Anyway, I wish I still had it.

I actually restored an ancient zip disc drive years ago to see if the song was on one of my old backup discs...I couldn't find it.

Those external zip drives were complete garbage, btw.

/anecdote

vacantplanets

Hey guys I've uploaded some more games with the music amplified. I'm not using Isozone anymore; you can find my uploads on EPforums.

The games are:

Faussete Amour
Sapphire with the Lords of Thunder OST
Sapphire with the Gate of Thunder OST

Spriggan, Nexzr, and Hyper Duel (Sega Saturn) -- These versions are much better now than my first attempts were. Redone and more balanced.

Also, Galaxy Fight (Sega Saturn) ... Just discovered this awesome game!