RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Super SD System 3

Started by synbiosfan, 12/07/2017, 02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrackTiger

Quote from: SamIAm on 12/10/2017, 02:59 AM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 12/10/2017, 02:17 AMWould this potentially ruin flicker effects programmed around the timing of the original signal?
Happily, it would have zero effect on that. Internally, all the timing for horizontal and vertical interrupts is completely regular. It's only when H and V sync get combined into C sync at the output stage that things get funky.

This is what the PCE's internal sync signals look like when recorded by a logic analyzer. You've got separate H and V sync, then the combined C sync at the bottom that gets mixed with composite video pretty much as-is. Bearing in mind that it's falling edges that the TV counts, compare the number of falling edges in the H sync line to the C sync line. C sync is missing one pulse at the end of the long V sync period.

TVs built to accept broadcast signals sent out over the airwaves have a robust error-correction circuit for sync called AFC, or automatic frequency control. It's primarily to prevent interference from triggering a horizontal refresh at the wrong time, but some older game consoles (and VCRs, too) rely on AFC to fix quirks in the sync signal timing.

Without it, you get this. I took this picture myself of a PCE running on an Ikegami studio master monitor built after 2000:

But again, this is just because of the weird way that the system combines the H and V sync pulses. To the software and even the part of the video processor that draws the picture itself, it's completely invisible.

If you really want to get crazy, the NES and SNES usually draw one horizontal line in 1364 ticks of the 21MHz master clock, but there is one line near the top of the screen that alternates between 1364 ticks and 1360 ticks in length every other frame. Apparently it was made this way to reduce dot-crawl, but it can cause a tiny amount of jitter in the top few displayed lines on very sensitive displays that aren't built with strong AFC.

The crazy thing is, it's not just an early pulse; the processing time for that horizontal line itself is 4 ticks short, too. There's no way to turn it off, but a guy over on the shmups.com forums has come up with a very interesting fix that works in both systems: with an FPGA, he basically cuts off the master clock signal and halts the entire system for 4 ticks every time that short line gets drawn. The system can't even tell the difference.
Does this mean that capturing video at 60fps might not result in flicker effects cutting in and out?

Quote from: touko on 12/10/2017, 09:33 AMIf you want more info about this device :

https://youtu.be/cyEJk0LmM8I

https://youtu.be/Pjm4rCsr8BY

It's like an everdrive, but also for scdrom²(BRAM and ADPCM) and AC,a next step for hombrews .
a little bit expensive 240€, but not really if you consider all that it offer.
A scdrom²+AC+everdrive+rvb, i thing they cost mush more .

It feature:
HuCard Games
CD Games
Super CD Games
Arcade CD Games
Quality RGB
Amplified Sound
Save RAM Support
System Card Support (Additional RAM and BIOS)
You should click the link in the opening post. It has all of this and more.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

touko

I did it, it's only a discussion no ??

EDIT:damn you're right  :wink:

NoSexGex

I'll be doing a decent amount of traveling this year, definitely will consider this depending how light I have to travel. I'll most likely be staying in hostels, and other similar places. So I was just thinking about getting Jodi to deck out my TurboExpress with mods; prefer gaming on a TV but whatever. I wouldn't need its portability as I wouldn't be playing on the go, just when I have downtime or after a long day. Should always be around a TV.

So one option would be to bring a PCE with this Super SD thing, a multi tap and some controllers. I don't think i'll be able to squeeze in a Duo with a bunch of CD-R's. Might get bumped around a little bit too, so being able to play CD's without a CD player would be ideal.

Very cool seeing this get made
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

NightWolve

Damn, when did Sam get as technical as elmer fudd or Bonknuts/TurboXray ??

Quote from: SamIAm on 12/10/2017, 02:59 AM
Quote from: guest on 12/10/2017, 02:17 AMWould this potentially ruin flicker effects programmed around the timing of the original signal?
Happily, it would have zero effect on that. Internally, all the timing for horizontal and vertical interrupts is completely regular. It's only when H and V sync get combined into C sync at the output stage that things get funky.

This is what the PCE's internal sync signals look like when recorded by a logic analyzer. You've got separate H and V sync, then the combined C sync at the bottom that gets mixed with composite video pretty much as-is. Bearing in mind that it's falling edges that the TV counts, compare the number of falling edges in the H sync line to the C sync line. C sync is missing one pulse at the end of the long V sync period.

IMG

TVs built to accept broadcast signals sent out over the airwaves have a robust error-correction circuit for sync called AFC, or automatic frequency control. It's primarily to prevent interference from triggering a horizontal refresh at the wrong time, but some older game consoles (and VCRs, too) rely on AFC to fix quirks in the sync signal timing.

Without it, you get this. I took this picture myself of a PCE running on an Ikegami studio master monitor built after 2000:

IMG

But again, this is just because of the weird way that the system combines the H and V sync pulses. To the software and even the part of the video processor that draws the picture itself, it's completely invisible.

If you really want to get crazy, the NES and SNES usually draw one horizontal line in 1364 ticks of the 21MHz master clock, but there is one line near the top of the screen that alternates between 1364 ticks and 1360 ticks in length every other frame. Apparently it was made this way to reduce dot-crawl, but it can cause a tiny amount of jitter in the top few displayed lines on very sensitive displays that aren't built with strong AFC.

The crazy thing is, it's not just an early pulse; the processing time for that horizontal line itself is 4 ticks short, too. There's no way to turn it off, but a guy over on the shmups.com forums has come up with a very interesting fix that works in both systems: with an FPGA, he basically cuts off the master clock signal and halts the entire system for 4 ticks every time that short line gets drawn. The system can't even tell the difference.

Flare65

Dumb question...

How would I go converting my SCD/CD games to some sort of file to place on the memory card for this thing?

Keith Courage

Quote from: Flare65 on 12/10/2017, 06:07 PMDumb question...

How would I go converting my SCD/CD games to some sort of file to place on the memory card for this thing?
I was kind of wondering what type of file format it used for this as well. It's got to be something that isn't too uncommon though. Otherwise people would have too many issues getting it to work.

NightWolve

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=1604.0
https://www.ysutopia.net/software/TurboRip.zip

TurboRip ISO/WAV/CUE images should work since it supports standard BIN/CUE format. :)

SamIAm

Quote from: guest on 12/10/2017, 01:39 PMDoes this mean that capturing video at 60fps might not result in flicker effects cutting in and out?
I can say with confidence that that definitely wouldn't happen. There is no way that anything is depending on this pulse being missing. It's purely a matter of all period-TVs being able to ignore the flaw.

In fact, recombining H and V sync might increase compatibility with capture devices. Are there any devices out there that can record Mega Drive video but not PCE? Mega Drive doesn't have this quirk.

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/10/2017, 04:15 PMDamn, when did Sam get as technical as elmer fudd or Bonknuts/TurboXray ??
Ha ha. Getting the PCE to display on that Ikegami monitor was something of an obsession for a while. I even tried doing minor mods on the deflection circuitry to fix the issue.

It turns out that there is one particular model of Extron box that can fix it, at least for this particular monitor. It's the 160xi. For some reason, other boxes do things slightly differently and don't help.

PukeSter

Quote from: NoSexGex on 12/10/2017, 02:55 PMI'll be doing a decent amount of traveling this year, definitely will consider this depending how light I have to travel. I'll most likely be staying in hostels, and other similar places. So I was just thinking about getting Jodi to deck out my TurboExpress with mods; prefer gaming on a TV but whatever. I wouldn't need its portability as I wouldn't be playing on the go, just when I have downtime or after a long day. Should always be around a TV.

So one option would be to bring a PCE with this Super SD thing, a multi tap and some controllers. I don't think i'll be able to squeeze in a Duo with a bunch of CD-R's. Might get bumped around a little bit too, so being able to play CD's without a CD player would be ideal.

Very cool seeing this get made
3DS with pce emulator? A laptop and a playstation pad?

LowRes

The super SD system 3 looks awesome and looks like it's going to be a quality product.  Perfect for somebody starting out that just wants to play the games or somebody who doesn't like to deal with repairs or replacing capacitors.  The price is high though, I rather spend that kind of money to get something I'm missing like the super cd-rom2 system, or a supergrafx.  I actually like fixing Japan junk :)
Started a US TurboGrafx-16 Collection in 2017! ... Then I moved on to PC Engine

synbiosfan

I bought one for my SuperGrafx but I'll keep my Duo-R for homebrews.

Best of both worlds.

Keith Courage

I wonder how they got around the legality of being able to include the CD ROM bios files?

imparanoic

it would nice to see a super sd system 3 plus with hdmi output and digital audio output, but maybe i asking for too much?

ccovell

Quote from: Keith Courage on 12/10/2017, 11:06 PMI wonder how they got around the legality of being able to include the CD ROM bios files?
You put it on your SD card and choose it from the menu.  I recommend watching that lengthy video that was linked to on the neogeo forum.

Keith Courage

Quote from: ccovell on 12/11/2017, 01:30 AM
Quote from: Keith Courage on 12/10/2017, 11:06 PMI wonder how they got around the legality of being able to include the CD ROM bios files?
You put it on your SD card and choose it from the menu.  I recommend watching that lengthy video that was linked to on the neogeo forum.
Well on the back of the box it says (Built-in System cards for CD-rom2, Super CD-rom2, and Arcade CD rom2). Well at least the ad of the box. Who knows what it will say on the real thing.

Built-in doesn't mean downloading the CD bios yourself. Maybe they just messed up on the ad.
IMG

This picture also claims a Built in Arcade card.
IMG

Sweet looking device nevertheless.

touko

Quote from: synbiosfan on 12/10/2017, 10:05 PMI bought one for my SuperGrafx but I'll keep my Duo-R for homebrews.

Best of both worlds.
Yeah, i'am very interested for my SGX too, i'am expecting this device to be very useful for my future SGX developments(mainly scdrom²+AC),coupled with the ccovell's PCEmon to have a very good devkit system..
Can you doing some feedbacks when you'll receive it ??

NecroPhile

Got around it or just didn't care?  The odds of anyone suing are looooooong.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

pixeljunkie

pretty sure you have to add those yourself? I don't think they come loaded

CrackTiger

Quote from: pixeljunkie on 12/11/2017, 11:20 AM
pretty sure you have to add those yourself? I don't think they come loaded
If so, it would explain how they got Games Express CDs to work.

They've been pretty determined to avoid using anyone else's work, aside from some Neo Geo logos, so I expected that something like this woukd require setting up rom images of the various system cards.

But the packaging makes ut sound like it's ready to play disc images rught out of the box.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

JAPJAC

Mint, but would be proper mint if AV was binned and the lot went into the card slot.  As is, it makes the Whengine look horrendous.
sig-top.jpg
JAPJAC - "A leading pioneer and expert in the field of Japanese videogame playing, studying & collecting in the U.K. since day one" © 2001. Japan resident & TFP founder.
sig-bot.jpg

CrackTiger

Quote from: JAPJAC on 12/11/2017, 06:04 PMMint, but would be proper mint if AV was binned and the lot went into the card slot.  As is, it makes the Whengine look horrendous.
If what Sam says is true, it's providing the only method to record proper 60fps video. That would be worth buying for alone.

And by not messing with the cart slot, it hopefully won't add buzzing and static sounds like the Everdrives do.

SamIAm

Quote from: guest on 12/11/2017, 06:26 PM
Quote from: JAPJAC on 12/11/2017, 06:04 PMMint, but would be proper mint if AV was binned and the lot went into the card slot. As is, it makes the Whengine look horrendous.
If what Sam says is true, it's providing the only method to record proper 60fps video. That would be worth buying for alone. And by not messing with the cart slot, it hopefully won't add buzzing and static sounds like the Everdrives do.
I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I meant that restoring this pulse wouldn't cause an incompatibility like you mention. I don't think it would fix it.

CrackTiger

Quote from: SamIAm on 12/11/2017, 07:22 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 12/11/2017, 06:26 PMIf what Sam says is true, it's providing the only method to record proper 60fps video. That would be worth buying for alone.
I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I meant that restoring this pulse wouldn't cause an incompatibility like you mention. I don't think it would fix it.
That's cool, I still think that this thing is a better deal than most PC Engine products new and old.

Just completed an order for one. Much easier this time after setting up text alerts from my bank, back when I had to call to authorize my neosd purchase.

It took a long time for my neosd to arrive, so I opted for 3 - 5 shipping by UPS, even though they are going to gouge me for customs charges and an outrageous "handling fee".

I'll let everyone know how it runs with the kinds of games and tests people here would be interested in, instead of the random games people have tested so far.  Like trying Sapphire instead of Strider, bicompatible CD/SCD and SCD/ACD games, CD system warnings, Tennokoe Bank and Memory Base/Save Kun, Games Express, sound roms, Human HuCards, Altered Beast CD, fmv streaming, load time comparisons with my okay IFU combo and lightning fast refurbed Duo, RGB picture and sound comparisons, etc.

Gentlegamer

Terraonion should have sent CrackTiger one to review for free.
IMG

RNSpeed

CrackTiger

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 12/11/2017, 09:12 PMTerraonion should have sent Black Tiger one to review for free.
When it was announced, I wanted to offer to do some gratuitous pixelart for the menus, but they already got soneone who is doing actual "retro" pixelart instead of PC Engine pixelart. So it's dim and dull colors that look auto converted from something and lots of dithering with very few colors.

Still a very nice looking menu system though, especially compared to PCE flashcarts.

xcrement5x

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 12/11/2017, 09:12 PMTerraonion should have sent Black Tiger one to review for free.
I agree, Black_Tiger be doing us all a big favor by stress testing it ;)

NecroPhile

Quote from: CrackTiger on 12/11/2017, 10:02 PMStill a very nice looking menu system though, especially compared to PCE flashcarts.
Heh, that's a low bar.  I'd like a nicer looking one for the TED, but I'd settle for the buttons being reversed to the "correct" orientation.

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 12/12/2017, 09:36 AM
Quote from: guest on 12/11/2017, 10:02 PMStill a very nice looking menu system though, especially compared to PCE flashcarts.
Heh, that's a low bar.  I'd like a nicer looking one for the TED, but I'd settle for the buttons being reversed to the "correct" orientation.
Ha, good luck with that. It seems that is the chosen button orientation for all of his products.

NecroPhile

He might not care to change it, but that doesn't rule out someone else making a custom menu file.

tbone3969

Will this work on the SuperGrafx?
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

CrackTiger

Quote from: tbone3969 on 12/13/2017, 04:31 PMWill this work on the SuperGrafx?
Yes, see OP's link.

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 12/07/2017, 03:58 PMOrdering link:
https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.php?id_product=12&controller=product&id_lang=1

Really with an Everdrive costing about $80 anyway and an RGB mod on a system probably another $50-70 it's not too outrageous if you are just starting out.  Very neat but like many others I'll probably hold off since I already have working units, if the price comes down in the future who knows though ;)
Same. Interesting product though, good to see! An HDMI output port would've made it really tempting! I'd have to buy a PC Engine though also, I only own a Turbo Duo and Express. The TG16 I won from a contest broke on me, exhibited psychedelic colors on any game, wonder if Steve-o could've fixed it but I tossed it long ago.

kosko99

It's quite tempting but having only a Duo-R is quite not an option to me ^^U
Even thou, you all know what happens with the PCE/TG... once you start collecting systems... lol

Kavas

Hello,

Question for you aficionados... which of the supported systems would be best for this? I was reading up about the different PCE it supports and it seems some have different revisions of the CPU. Would this at all affect how well they run with this addon?

Would I need any sort of existing mod in place?

How about color? I see this shell might be black in color. Would I be better off getting the CoreGFX II to match it ?

Which of the supported is the cheapest/most reliable?

I own a RX but collecting CD's for it is slow coming. Thanks!

tbone3969

I'm gonna use it with my SuperGrafx as then you can truly play the entire library 100%.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

turboswimbz

Quote from: Kavas on 12/14/2017, 01:35 PMHello,

Question for you aficionados... which of the supported systems would be best for this? I was reading up about the different PCE it supports and it seems some have different revisions of the CPU. Would this at all affect how well they run with this addon?

Would I need any sort of existing mod in place?

How about color? I see this shell might be black in color. Would I be better off getting the CoreGFX II to match it ?

Which of the supported is the cheapest/most reliable?

I own a RX but collecting CD's for it is slow coming. Thanks!
IF your going to go out and get a system I would suggest just getting the coregrafx.  I or II doesn't really matter here.  the only reason I would suggest the core over the regular white is the AV out which may be easier to deal with with various set ups and as a stand alone if you don't have this add on on the system, it also has the board updates, which I don't think are worth actually factoring in here, maybe someone else has a different view though.  it also appears to match the color of the 3 kinda well. 

Basically, whatever standard core or PC engine you find for a good deal is perfect.  this also acts as all the mods you'd need.  it's the reason to get it!
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

JAPJAC

sig-top.jpg
JAPJAC - "A leading pioneer and expert in the field of Japanese videogame playing, studying & collecting in the U.K. since day one" © 2001. Japan resident & TFP founder.
sig-bot.jpg

NecroPhile

Quote from: Kavas on 12/14/2017, 01:35 PMQuestion for you aficionados... which of the supported systems would be best for this? I was reading up about the different PCE it supports and it seems some have different revisions of the CPU. Would this at all affect how well they run with this addon?
Only the SuperGrafx and early CoreGrafx I systems have the revised sound chip, which fixed a popping sound that'd occur whenever there was a big change in volume levels or a channel turned on/off.  Other than the sound fix, there's no reason this add-on would work any differently with 'em, so it's up to you to decide if the fix is worth worrying about.

Quote from: Kavas on 12/14/2017, 01:35 PMWould I need any sort of existing mod in place?
Only if you want a region mod for physical hueys or video mods (component/svideo/hdmi).

Quote from: Kavas on 12/14/2017, 01:35 PMHow about color? I see this shell might be black in color. Would I be better off getting the CoreGFX II to match it ?
The CoreGrafx II is the light grey and orange one, so it wouldn't be a great match; the CoreGrafx I is dark grey and blue, so it wouldn't match but would probably coordinate better; the closest but probably not identical match would be a TurboGrafx-16, though the contrast with an OG (white) PCE could look good too.

Quote from: Kavas on 12/14/2017, 01:35 PMWhich of the supported is the cheapest/most reliable?
The TG-16 and three core PCEs are all fairly reliable.  The only systems that really have issues are those with lasers.

CrackTiger

The Super SD System shell is "clear" black.

My memory is that the revised soundchip fixed a bug which limited the use of higher quality samples without additional cpu resource and that it introduces misc distortion to some samples in games programmed for/tested on hardware with the regular soundchip.

So the CoreGrafx and SuperGrafx have the potential to run cool sample based sounds made for homebrew (like Tom's demos), but it is not known if any games bitd took advantage.

SignOfZeta

Is the chip used in anything non-PCE?
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/14/2017, 06:41 PMIs the chip used in anything non-PCE?
Might more or less be the PC-FX's "soundbox".

JAPJAC

sig-top.jpg
sig-bot.jpg

CrackTiger

I realized today that we're inevitably going to have people demanding a dummy HuCard to fill the slot while using the Super SD System 3. There will be equal parts cosmetic and dust protection excuses offered.

I think that Stoneage Gamer will be the first to produce one, since there isn't any way to deface the device itself with their gaudy logo and justify a big premium.

Maybe they'll print a shockbox insert and include a "custom" case to store the SSS3 in?

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/17/2017, 01:32 PMI realized today that we're inevitably going to have people demanding a dummy HuCard to fill the slot while using the Super SD System 3. There will be equal parts cosmetic and dust protection excuses offered.

I think that Stoneage Gamer will be the first to produce one, since there isn't any way to deface the device itself with their gaudy logo and justify a big premium.

Maybe they'll print a shockbox insert and include a "custom" case to store the SSS3 in?
This is so goddamn true I sprayed coffee out of my nose just now.

Damn.

Where are the paper towels?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gypsy

Funny and sad. Also it will probably happen.

tbone3969

Just stick a random huey in it.

CrackTiger

Quote from: tbone3969 on 12/17/2017, 03:21 PMJust stick a random huey in it.
The random huey will be played instead of the SSS3. You could stick in an Arcade Card and maybe even the System 3 card and still play <ACD games isos. But you'd still have to pull it out to play HuCard roms.

Gentlegamer

I've bought all my flash carts from Stone Age Gamer. They gave me a free SD2SNES for creating SNES bitbox covers. I "purchased" it for free through the site, which also earned a bunch of tickets, which I've been rolling forward ever since.

Edit: SAG has given me great customer service and warranties everything, I plan on waiting to buy SSD3 when they carry it as a US retailer, rather than deal with international payment problems.
IMG

tbone3969

Quote from: guest on 12/17/2017, 04:48 PM
Quote from: tbone3969 on 12/17/2017, 03:21 PMJust stick a random huey in it.
The random huey will be played instead of the SSS3. You could stick in an Arcade Card and maybe even the System 3 card and still play <ACD games isos. But you'd still have to pull it out to play HuCard roms.
I see.  Hmmmmm.........