RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Another white screen duo!

Started by that1crzywhtguy, 01/13/2018, 11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

that1crzywhtguy

So I have a duo R that has just started giving me problems after a RGB install.

Maybe I somehow burned out the 6260? I'm not sure how this would have happened as I didn't apply a lot of heat for long on it, and the solder joints are clean and short free.

First, a little background on the system. It had some repairs done previously, it is this console in this post: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=21990.0

I had it working by the end of that with CD, and cards from both regions (via the gametech board).

I pulled it out of mothballs the other night, and installed a voultar RGB board with a new 8-pin din connector. Ever since, It gives me the white (or red, or blue) screen upon switching it on, weather or not there is a card in there, regardless of which way the region switch is thrown.

There are places where broken traces were repaired, but I checked there, they were solid, and even re-did them just for good measure. I've inspected the board pretty thoroughly and have found no more broken traces or bad vias.

As theSteve mentioned in another post, removing ic520 can help with diagnosing as the cards should still run. Well, I removed it, and same problem. popped it back in, same problem.

Any ideas of what's next? Did I just ruin this poor duo-r?

MNKyDeth

I would test the system with the default av cable. Not sure if that is what you are doing.

This will ensure your composite video and sync are still good. That would point to something with the mod itself then.

If there is no composite video ensure the traces from the hu6260 all the way to the video output are all good. May take some time but the composite video trace shouldn't be to hard to follow.

If that is all good and the mod is installed I think his mod chips have a built in sync stripper? You may need to check how you are using sync as you can only have composite video or pure... C-sync to that din pin. Having both connected at the same time can cause issues.

LowRes

I would remove the RGB mod and see if the system works.  It only stopped working after the RGB install so pretty sure nothing is wrong with the system but most likely something went wrong with the installation.
Started a US TurboGrafx-16 Collection in 2017! ... Then I moved on to PC Engine

that1crzywhtguy

Tested both suggestions, and the symptoms are identical with the stock cable, and stock cable without mod.

LowRes

Quote from: that1crzywhtguy on 01/14/2018, 06:31 PMTested both suggestions, and the symptoms are identical with the stock cable, and stock cable without mod.
So you know now it's not the RGB mod pcb itself, was the duo working before you installed the mod? If it was, then you gotta really check and re-check everything you did during install.  However, if it was in storage for a while and you didn't happen to check before you did the install, then that's a whole other story. 

most likely its something you did during install, could be as simple as a drop of solder flicked onto the board somewhere or a pin on the 6260 not making enough contact.  I'm not very familliar with the RGB mod so not sure if pins get lifted, or what's involved.  Hope you figure it out!

SignOfZeta

I'm starting to think we'll never know how reliable Duo Rs are because so many fall victim to the Chevy Cavalier syndrome (owners break so many things themselves playing around with shit you can't accurately judge OEM reliability).
IMG

that1crzywhtguy

Admittedly, I didn't test it before doing the mod, just last time I used it before I put it away. As far as doing the RGB mod, it's pretty simple, and doesn't require any lifting of pins. As you can see in the pic linked below, it just get's added in right on top. I've quadruple checked for solder blobs or other little issues, and there are none to be found. As I said, this has been repaired before, but I checked and even re-did those repairs.

le sigh

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YqZYrCf0pfXQHsABee069DEPJvM5Gwu5/view?usp=sharing

LowRes

Quote from: that1crzywhtguy on 01/15/2018, 01:32 PMAdmittedly, I didn't test it before doing the mod, just last time I used it before I put it away. As far as doing the RGB mod, it's pretty simple, and doesn't require any lifting of pins. As you can see in the pic linked below, it just get's added in right on top. I've quadruple checked for solder blobs or other little issues, and there are none to be found. As I said, this has been repaired before, but I checked and even re-did those repairs.

le sigh

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YqZYrCf0pfXQHsABee069DEPJvM5Gwu5/view?usp=sharing
I see, ya the RGB mod doesn't look like a very invasive mod.  Pretty straight forward and easily reversable.  It could literally be anything now since you don't know if it was working before the RGB mod.  If it was me, I'd now suspect the region mod even though it was working at some point.  I trust the 6260, 6270, 6280, or ram to not fail for no reason.

some guys on here are really good with repairs, if you can't figure it out hopefully somebody on here can take a crack at it.

that1crzywhtguy

Yeah, I tried to check out the region mod too, since it won't even boot to CD. It seems to always think there is a card, but then it won't load a card.

I've had steve repair a system for me in the past, and I think I may be requesting his services again with this one... :(