@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Anybody got a FM Towns Marty?

Started by LowRes, 01/17/2018, 05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowRes

Wondering if anybody here has one and how they like it?

I don't see many pop up on ebay, and doesn't look like parts or replacement lasers are available, but I'm thinking about getting into the FM Towns stuff.  I know it's expensive and games are expensive, but there's just something about it.  Anybody else into this obscure system or the FM Towns, FM Towns II?
Started a US TurboGrafx-16 Collection in 2017! ... Then I moved on to PC Engine

SuperDeadite

I have 3 machines.  Fresh, UX20, Car Marty.
Generally speaking I do not recommend getting into Towns without extensive research.
The amount of good exclusive games is very low, but hey Rayxanber is rather awesome. 
The Marty is basically a barebones gimped PC, so it has the smallest library.  A lot of the stuff
online is flat-out false.  Splatterhouse for example is an excellent port for its time, but it is not "arcade
perfect" like most websites will claim.

If you want to get into Japanese computers, I'd say the X68000 has the best game library, but the hardware startup costs are high.  MSX is also a better deal the Towns imo, and probably the cheapest if you are happy with a flash-cart.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

LowRes

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 01/17/2018, 07:36 PMI have 3 machines.  Fresh, UX20, Car Marty.
Generally speaking I do not recommend getting into Towns without extensive research.
The amount of good exclusive games is very low, but hey Rayxanber is rather awesome. 
The Marty is basically a barebones gimped PC, so it has the smallest library.  A lot of the stuff
online is flat-out false.  Splatterhouse for example is an excellent port for its time, but it is not "arcade
perfect" like most websites will claim.

If you want to get into Japanese computers, I'd say the X68000 has the best game library, but the hardware startup costs are high.  MSX is also a better deal the Towns imo, and probably the cheapest if you are happy with a flash-cart.
I understand the marty is a stripped down version of the FM Towns computer but I'm alright with that.  I'd love to get a UX20 like you have but I'm thinking shipping a PC from Japan would be killer lol, I'll look into the X68000 some more though.

Gypsy

X68000 is nice, way better than messing with a Marty I agree wholeheartedly with deadite there. I'd love to have an X68000 but I'm cool running those games in an emulator when the itch arises. Maybe some day, but I just bought some bitchin speakers and a high quality vintage amp so it sure as shit won't be today.

LowRes

Thanks to SuperDeadite I changed my mind once I started researching the MSX and stumbled accross SD Snatcher! I never knew about the MSX, now I spent all night researching and learning all about it.  I've been missing out

Gypsy

MSX has some really sick exclusive shooters too if that's your thing.

NecroPhile

MSX will soon have Inferno, a cool platformer made by some gaylord that hates PCE.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

LowRes

I'm now deciding between the Panasonic FS-A1F or the Sony HB- F1XD since they both have a floppy drive but if the MegaFlashROM cart can do everything the floppy drive normally does including saving game progress... then I'd be happy with a Panasonic FS-A1.  Can anybody confirm game saves on the megaflashrom?

SuperDeadite

As long as you get a fully working MSX2+ you can run 95% of the library.  I have a Turbo-R myself, but they have become way to expensive, and not a good choice for a first-time owner.  A lot of people swear that the Sony units have better audio circuitry then the Panasonic models and sound nicer if you have a decent amp.  Flash cart wise there are a lot of options.  If you get a G8NET cart, you can plug straight into the internet and stream games directly.

I highly recommend Metal Gear 2, Aleste 2, and Undeadline.  Absolute must plays.

jtucci31

I toy with getting one like once a year, but always thankfully talk myself out of it. It's a badass machine that can play Tatsujin-Oh, and man I want to play that Marty port.

Listen to SuperDeadite, he's the JP CPU man.

LowRes

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 01/18/2018, 06:25 PMAs long as you get a fully working MSX2+ you can run 95% of the library.  I have a Turbo-R myself, but they have become way to expensive, and not a good choice for a first-time owner.  A lot of people swear that the Sony units have better audio circuitry then the Panasonic models and sound nicer if you have a decent amp.  Flash cart wise there are a lot of options.  If you get a G8NET cart, you can plug straight into the internet and stream games directly.

I highly recommend Metal Gear 2, Aleste 2, and Undeadline.  Absolute must plays.
I'm not finding many options for flash carts, I can't even find the G8NET you mentioned.  I only really see the MegaFlashRom cart pop up but I'll look into that more. 

Metal Gear 2, Aleste 2, and Undeadline added to the list :)

LowRes

Quote from: guest on 01/18/2018, 06:44 PMI toy with getting one like once a year, but always thankfully talk myself out of it. It's a badass machine that can play Tatsujin-Oh, and man I want to play that Marty port.

Listen to SuperDeadite, he's the JP CPU man.
I thought I was the only one that does that, guess I'm not alone lol

SuperDeadite

Besides the extra juice to run a few more games, the big advantage of a 2+ over a 2 is that 2+ units have the FM Music chip internally.  On an MSX2 you will need an FM cart for the huge number of games that use FM (MSX Music)

AFAIK GR8NET is only sold by the guy that makes them via the MSX group on Facebook.  There is also Carnivore and a few others.  I personally use the older MegaFlashRomSCC+ in conjunction with an SD HDD interface as it suits my uses better.

Metal Gear 1 is the real Metal Gear, much better then the NES version.  But Metal Gear 2 is simply amazing.  Metal Gear Solid is basically a soft-reboot of Metal Gear 2, new story, location, and names, but about 80% of the stuff that happens in Solid happened in 2.

BigusSchmuck

About the only reason I even considered a FM Towns Marty was due to the enhanced graphics of some of the Ultima and Wizardry games.

Arkhan Asylum

No, and don't buy it.

It's not worth it for a corny Ultima upgrade with Lord British telling you about how in the future hes going to ruin his legacy and be a dumbass.

really though, seriously, it's a waste of time/money lol.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

exodus

I bought a marty like 15 years ago, and I don't use it that much! but I like some of the weird games that are on it. I have no advice :P

LowRes

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 01/19/2018, 07:01 AMBesides the extra juice to run a few more games, the big advantage of a 2+ over a 2 is that 2+ units have the FM Music chip internally.  On an MSX2 you will need an FM cart for the huge number of games that use FM (MSX Music)

AFAIK GR8NET is only sold by the guy that makes them via the MSX group on Facebook.  There is also Carnivore and a few others.  I personally use the older MegaFlashRomSCC+ in conjunction with an SD HDD interface as it suits my uses better.

Metal Gear 1 is the real Metal Gear, much better then the NES version.  But Metal Gear 2 is simply amazing.  Metal Gear Solid is basically a soft-reboot of Metal Gear 2, new story, location, and names, but about 80% of the stuff that happens in Solid happened in 2.
I ended up pulling the trigger on a Panasonic FS-A1F (MSX2 with floppy drive), there was a nice one in good condition with new belt on ebay for $250 shipped.  I know the MSX2+ is way better with the built in FM, but I cheaped out a little to get started lol

I think I'm gonna go with the MegaFlashRom SCC+ 512k RAM, and maybe get one of those FM carts.  Atleast I got a floppy drive for when I get some disk games or when I want to easily save game progress to a user disk :)

First games I'm gonna play are Metal Gear 1 & 2, and SD Snatcher.  All 3 of those games have english translations which is awesome