Compatible AC adapter for CD-ROM2 unit? (US user here)

Started by Beartruck, 02/05/2018, 09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beartruck

Hi guys, after months of ebay stalking, I finally managed to find a CD-ROM2 unit for a decent price. As the title implies, I just need to know what kind of AC adapter would work best on it. I am from the United States. I already have an adapter I'm using for my white base pc engine, so I don't know if that would be compatible or not. Sorry if I come off like a newb, but I wanted to ask the experts.

Image of item for reference:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/eLEAAOSwW6BaETFq/s-l1600.jpg
"Only the Supergrafx respects the burden of too much choice placed on modern society!"

NecroPhile

I've not bought anything from them, but others here have recommended this site: https://en.retrogamesupply.com/collections/pc-engine

If memory serves, the power supply for the core system will also work on the CD-ROM as a stand alone CD player but the Interface Unit has a bigger tip and needs more juice (obviously) to power both parts at the same time.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Keith Courage

Quote from: Beartruck on 02/05/2018, 09:27 AMHi guys, after months of ebay stalking, I finally managed to find a CD-ROM2 unit for a decent price. As the title implies, I just need to know what kind of AC adapter would work best on it. I am from the United States. I already have an adapter I'm using for my white base pc engine, so I don't know if that would be compatible or not. Sorry if I come off like a newb, but I wanted to ask the experts.

Is that picture of the actually item you bought? Looks like it comes with the correct ac adapter needed.

Beartruck

Quote from: Keith Courage on 02/06/2018, 12:26 AM
Quote from: Beartruck on 02/05/2018, 09:27 AMHi guys, after months of ebay stalking, I finally managed to find a CD-ROM2 unit for a decent price. As the title implies, I just need to know what kind of AC adapter would work best on it. I am from the United States. I already have an adapter I'm using for my white base pc engine, so I don't know if that would be compatible or not. Sorry if I come off like a newb, but I wanted to ask the experts.

Is that picture of the actually item you bought? Looks like it comes with the correct ac adapter needed.
I've heard stories about different voltage requirements between US and Japanese outlets, so I wanted to be doubly safe. Necro's link is handy though, as the seller lost the ac adapter anyway (though I did get a discount in exchange).
"Only the Supergrafx respects the burden of too much choice placed on modern society!"

LowRes

Quote from: Beartruck on 02/06/2018, 06:51 PM
Quote from: Keith Courage on 02/06/2018, 12:26 AM

I've heard stories about different voltage requirements between US and Japanese outlets, so I wanted to be doubly safe. Necro's link is handy though, as the seller lost the ac adapter anyway (though I did get a discount in exchange).
I've bought many power adapters from Retrogame Supply and they're great.  Cord length could be a little longer but otherwise perfect.
Started a US TurboGrafx-16 Collection in 2017! ... Then I moved on to PC Engine

Beartruck

Alright, I got the unit in. Coregrafx works great, CD-ROM2 unit powers on, i can hear the motor whir, but no cd rotation. Opened it up and, you guessed it, yellowed out middle gear that basically crumbled to dust when i tapped it with my screwdriver. So i guess I just need one of those and I'm good to go.

LowRes

Quote from: Beartruck on 02/21/2018, 12:15 AMAlright, I got the unit in. Coregrafx works great, CD-ROM2 unit powers on, i can hear the motor whir, but no cd rotation. Opened it up and, you guessed it, yellowed out middle gear that basically crumbled to dust when i tapped it with my screwdriver. So i guess I just need one of those and I'm good to go.
Ya 99% of the time just replace that gear and you're good.  Console5 has that gear or game doctor HK but you will get it much faster from Console5.

good luck and you might want to get a couple replacement E-clips from console 5 just incase, since the little rubber original one can rip or go flying.
Started a US TurboGrafx-16 Collection in 2017! ... Then I moved on to PC Engine