OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Core Grafx II Controller not Responding

Started by LowRes, 02/10/2018, 04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowRes

Out of nowhere the controller doesn't want to register the Run button.  It's definitely not the controller since I tested it on my PC Engine.  I re-flowed the Controller port connector on the Core Grafx II and that still didn't do it.  Anybody ever come accross something like this?
Started a US TurboGrafx-16 Collection in 2017! ... Then I moved on to PC Engine

Keith Courage

Have you tried any of the other controller pads for the run button? meaning take the button 1 and 2 pad and press it over the run contacts on the pcb to see if it works. If it does then you need to clean your Run button rubber pads. I like to use a small piece of sand paper to lightly rub across the little black circle a few times. I've tried cleaning with various things but that never seems to cut it. Sand paper always works. To be clear I am talking about wiping the rubber circle with sand paper. Not the controller PCB.

LowRes

it's 100% nothing to do with the controller.  I have many controllers here and all work on my pc engine, Duo, Duo R.  It's something to do with the core grafx II system.  Also the rest of the controller functions seem to be all doing the wrong function.  for example, button II is actually doing what normally is directional pad UP.

MNKyDeth

I would be guessing. I know these don't usually need caps but I have seen caps cause weird issues with the controller. Also, broken traces. Again core 2 usually doesn't suffer from this.

There is always the question of the port itself. If severely worn out possibly a new on is in order to make proper contact.
If you replaced or did any work in the system..... Make sure there are no solder splatters or blobs anywhere that could be shorting something out.

All guess's.... But those would be the first places to look imo if the controller works perfect on other systems.

Keith Courage

oh, my mistake. I thought that it was your controller that was the problem.

I have come across a few of these that have needed the pins resoldered for the controller Port pins inside the system. Hopefully that is all it needs.

LowRes

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 02/11/2018, 01:14 AMI would be guessing. I know these don't usually need caps but I have seen caps cause weird issues with the controller. Also, broken traces. Again core 2 usually doesn't suffer from this.

There is always the question of the port itself. If severely worn out possibly a new on is in order to make proper contact.
If you replaced or did any work in the system..... Make sure there are no solder splatters or blobs anywhere that could be shorting something out.

All guess's.... But those would be the first places to look imo if the controller works perfect on other systems.
I'll swap out the port from my PC Engine into the Core Grafx and see if that works.  Then I'll know it's the port and I'll have to find a replacement for the pc engine.  As for caps, I replaced all the caps when I got the system a few months ago but it's been working good all this time till now.  I'll re-check everything today.  Hopefully something obvious stands out

LowRes

I swapped out the controller ports, and it was working for about 10 min and then it went back to the same problem.

Also the controller port from the core grafx II works in the pc engine no problems.  I don't get why taking out the controller port, and re-stalling it somehow made it work for a bit.

LowRes

It ended up being an issue with the region mod switch that came installed by GameDoctorHK.  I ripped out the mod switch and repaired the cut card slot pins with old capacitor legs and everything is working again.

I think I'll order a new mod switch from Gametech USA and install it.  The idea was to use this core grafx II with the matching Super CD-Rom2 I have and be able to play both US & PC Engine hucards.

anyway figured it out, thanks for the replies with suggestions :)

ClodBusted