10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Recent posts

News / Re: 2023 PCEFX Newsletter Prep...
Last post by Allannon - 11/01/2023, 07:35 PM
Great idea i would love something like this . I remember the Turbo list i loved it.

On a side note i have the Turbo Everdrive Pro and the EDFX works great. I just started Xak III again thanks for your great translation.
David Shadoff/@dshadoff pulled off an English patch for Dead of the Brain 1 after all, and not just French First which was done by @shubibiman! Just in time for Halloween to boot!

romhacking.net/translations/7087/
github.com/dshadoff/PCE_xlate_DeadoftheBrain
News / Re: PCEFX Reviews (Join the St...
Last post by NightWolve - 10/03/2023, 12:03 AM
Ah, I see... Thanks for stopping by and clearing it up.

It reminds me about a discussion @Voultar started some time back how those who migrated to video/YouTube thrived (think TurboViews, GameSack, Happy Console Gamer) but all those [sites/people] who stuck with text/image reviews/guides/content faded or continue to fade into irrelevancy, obscurity, were left behind... In my pursuits I always wanted to improve my writing for post history at least but I see I missed the boat when I should've been honing video editing skills. Just a little food for thought.

Anyway, hope you're doing well and thanks again for dropping by. I think it was also a mistake for Nanto to close PCEFX the way he did but I'll pay for it now as long as I'm still breathing for history/archive's sake and continue to research better display/showcasing ideas for our 20 years of PC Engine/TurboGrafx history.
Hi @nat, wow! I never thought we'd see you again...

Thanks for the info about Brothers Duomazov! I still wanted to automate a full download of the site from Wayback to rehost it here but rebuilding PCEFX was tough enough, and I see even less interest now. Sadly, if you didn't migrate to a YouTube channel like GameSack, Turbo Views, HCG, you have a way of fading to irrelevancy...

While we weren't friends here, and didn't interact much when you were active eons ago, I remember you and appreciate your contributions to PCE fandom. If I don't see you again, best wishes for wherever life has taken you now.

P. S. Wish you had thrown out some of the toxic turbo trolls in these forums years ago before you left and before I eventually had the displeasure/nightmare of dealing with them, but oh well... It's all better left buried in the past but part of me wonders if we could've been a small scale AtariAge AKA PCEngineAge with better management and still hold some relevancy/goodwill...

P. S. (x 2) I left a fan tribute so to speak in your profile, feel free to edit/change if you wish. It's a best-of highlight reel to remember the person by I sometimes do for special cases.
See my post in the other thread for what happened. It was all my fault.

Also, I don't recall anything about a Duomazov facebook page. I don't even remember discussing it with runin, but it wasn't anything I had anything to do with. That would have been all him.
News / Re: PCEFX Reviews (Join the St...
Last post by nat - 09/28/2023, 12:30 AM
I'm five years late here, and it looks like this forum is now dead but I wanted to set the record straight for history's sake in case a weary soul ever travels this way, wondering.

The Brothers Duomazov was an idea cooked up primarily by my old friend runinruder, along with myself (Ai Cho Alexei) and GUTS/Duomitri late one night. Runin did the lion's share of the reviews (the good ones), and I did the site site design, layout and coding and occasionally contributed reviews, as did GUTS.

The reason the site is gone is entirely my fault. In addition to maintaining the site, I also owned the domain. I was going through a big life change (moving from California to Washington, entering into a new cohabiting situation, etc) around the time the domain was set to expire and to be frank, I was no longer at all involved in the scene.

The expiration of the site was not on my radar at this point, and although runin tried to get ahold of me through the only email he had for me, unfortunately that also was one I had abandoned due to excessive spam. I didn't even realize until almost a year had gone by that it had expired. I tried to reach out to runin at this point but never got a response. I will assume he was probably furious with me, and rightly so. He poured so much time into those reviews, the fact the site is gone is criminal.

It was never supposed to have ended the way it did. I was extremely proud of the work we did there over the 10 years we were active and I had always envisioned the site would endure even after my interest waned. I am still proud to have been a part of it. I should have "signed over the domain" to him long before it expired but my exit wasn't sudden or planned, it was a gradual thing that just sort of happened.

So, to everyone out there who used our site as a resource, and primarily to runin, wherever he may be today, I sincerely apologize for the way it panned out. I hope you were able to archive all your reviews before it went offline. Also, hope life finds you healthy and happy.

Nat
Off-Topic / Re: Game Sack
Last post by NightWolve - 06/26/2023, 06:20 PM
GameSack decided to cover every PC Engine CD game that supports/relies on the Arcade Card enhancement memory, including games where it's uncertain/unadvertised like Emerald Dragon which doesn't indicate in any way there are benefits.

I always wanted one for my Turbo Duo given the used/cheap Strider ACD that I bought for $15 but I never got around to it. Plus, I'd have to also buy a region adapter to make it work on a US Duo! So it wouldn't be until the Magic Engine emulator when I finally got to play that ACD port to see just how awful it was!

I was also interested in Fatal Fury Special (not to mention SFII for my 6-button pad), Sapphire, a SuperGrafx itself, but gaming habits were dying off as I started my university studies, so didn't happen. But yeah, eventually when I discovered the world of emulation in late 2001-02, I got to download/play some of the missed opportunities from back when real hardware was the only game in town!
Quote from: Ashevent on 06/01/2023, 11:26 PMI don't have anything credible to add. Just wanted to say this thread is amazing. ..lol.

I do find the difference between the TG16/TGCD and some other systems to be less muted colors than many other systems but..what do I know?
Glad you appreciate it!

I did a lot of grunt work to bring it into the modern era:
1) Built custom post buttons to speed up the process of adding "width=49%" dynamic image resizing for the 2 side-by-side image shots that awack did, I did EVERY post here!
2) awack used Photobucket which watermarks their shared images, but I made a special script to counter that, download/show a clean image AND then I returned for another idea to simply cache ALL Photobucket images shared on PCEFX so they're never lost! Over 11,000 Photobucket images are now permanently hosted here https://www.pcengine-fx.com/images/cache/ and will never be lost or watermarked now!

It's looking a lot better and the new theme already handles mobile adjustments for viewing on a phone. Still, this forum software is outdated, but I'm here, paid for the web space for 10 years, might as well research improvements to carry PCEFX legacy on as best I can.
Buy/Sell/Trade / Re: Selling/Trading Manual 4 S...
Last post by kattare - 06/08/2023, 11:12 AM
Reporting back - successful trade complete.

Thanks Ashevent!