10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

PC Engine Screen-shot quiz

Started by Tatsujin, 12/24/2006, 11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatsujin

Rules: very simple, someone post a screen-picture or a part of a picture (sprite, background etc.) of a PC Engine game into this thread and the others have to name it. the winner will continue with the next quest and so on...

here we go:

/pcequiz1tz9.gif

:)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Keranu

That's a tough one. Is it Parodius by chance?
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Tatsujin

nope, sorry :)

sorry for the small pic, but since everybody is a PCE pro in here, it would be way too easy to post the whole screen.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

guyjin

taking a blind stab at it - lords of thunder?

Tatsujin

nope again :(

it's a jump'n'run. out of the first stage which is a cementery ;)

Keranu

Ghost n Ghouls? Or is it that weird Hell Explorer game (whatever it's called)?
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: Keranu on 12/25/2006, 02:40 AMOr is it that weird Hell Explorer game (whatever it's called)?
raight :D  Jigoku Meguri is its name  :wink:

https://catalog.pcengine-fx.com/#hu1760
IMG

Keranu

IMG

ParanoiaDragon

I was gonna maybe say Obochama Kun, but I was wrong :dance:
IMG

CrackTiger

Here's a nice easy one as a warm up. Anyone who can't place this one right away isn't a real PCE fan-
IMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

guyjin

;_; i guess I'm not a real PCE fan...

another wild guess... Devil's crush?

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 12/25/2006, 06:42 AMHere's a nice easy one as a warm up. Anyone who can't place this one right away isn't a real PCE fan-
IMG
Is that Psychic Storm?
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Keranu on 12/27/2006, 09:38 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 12/25/2006, 06:42 AMHere's a nice easy one as a warm up. Anyone who can't place this one right away isn't a real PCE fan-
IMG
Is that Psychic Storm?
Shame on you Keranu. I waited all this time for you to finally post and you didn't get right off the bat.  [-X

So now I'm forced to drop some big hints.  :roll:

Its a boss from a HuCard game.

I think that's already giving too much away. But I'll even go so far as to say that it's from one the PC Engine's best and well known games.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

_Paul

nat

Dude, I recognize that thing 100%. While I can't place what game it is, I know that I own it. I can even picture it's animation.

Gunhed? Dungeon Explorer?  ](*,)

CrackTiger

Quote from: nat on 12/28/2006, 12:35 PMDude, I recognize that thing 100%. While I can't place what game it is, I know that I own it. I can even picture it's animation.

Gunhed? Dungeon Explorer?  ](*,)
Its the coolest boss in Dungeon Explorer=D&gt;

He jiggles all over the place shooting out different colored slimes.

I thought that I had actually chosen an easy one, instead of some random sprite from late in Kabukiden or something.  :P

I've got plenty more, but would anyone else ike to post the next one?

nat

I KNEW IT!!!  :mrgreen: I love Dungeon Explorer. Like I said, I can even picture his animation in my head I just couldn't place it in context.

How about winners start next game? If y'all can wait three hours... I'm at work right now (hardly workin') and I don't have any Turbo screenshots handy. I'll post one first thing when I get home.

Keranu

Holy crap, I can't remember that boss too well off hand. Granted I've only probably fought him once though. He looks rad!
IMG

torgo

God, I haven't play DE in years.
PS Nation

CrackTiger

Quote from: torgo on 12/28/2006, 03:53 PMGod, I haven't play DE in years.
Honestly, I haven't played through it in like 10 - 15 years. But back then I played it all the way through constantly, recording passwords for each level for each character.

I'll never forget the dungeons, bosses, music, etc.  :)

Especially the slime-jelly-crab thing.  :P

IMG

Quote from: nat on 12/28/2006, 03:37 PMHow about winners start next game? If y'all can wait three hours... I'm at work right now (hardly workin') and I don't have any Turbo screenshots handy. I'll post one first thing when I get home.
Sounds good to me. Don't make it too easy. But don't go picking some tiny random sprite from a game noone's ever played either.  :P

nat

Quote from: guest on 12/28/2006, 04:22 PM
Quote from: torgo on 12/28/2006, 03:53 PMGod, I haven't play DE in years.
Honestly, I haven't played through it in like 10 - 15 years. But back then I played it all the way through constantly, recording passwords for each level for each character.

I'll never forget the dungeons, bosses, music, etc.  :)
You and me both, man. I love the original DE. I'm actually in the process of playing through DE II right now. Thank heavens for REAL save game files in DE II. But yeah, back in the day I played the shit out of DE. It gets my vote for best music in a HuCard game, ever. I get chills sometimes when I hear it, to this day.

So on with the game.... Here's my pick. Hopefully this isn't too easy. No hints right off the bat.

IMG

termis

Hmm...  Is this like some power-up item?

Parasol Stars?

nat

Not Parasol Stars. It is not an enemy or a character sprite, no. It is extremely common in the game it is from.

Joe Redifer

Some game where they throw Japanese hand fans at you?

nat

:lol:

No. Actually, I always thought it was some kind of fruit. Or a banana split. Or something. I'm really studying it now and it actually doesn't look like any of those things, so I don't know.

It is not really an obscure game. It is an arcade port. That is all I am going to say for a while except for "Yes" and "No".

CrackTiger

Quote from: nat on 12/28/2006, 09:11 PM:lol:

No. Actually, I always thought it was some kind of fruit. Or a banana split. Or something. I'm really studying it now and it actually doesn't look like any of those things, so I don't know.

It is not really an obscure game. It is an arcade port. That is all I am going to say for a while except for "Yes" and "No".
That's what I thought it was supposed to be, a banana with whip cream and a cherry on it. I took a quick look at a few games I thought it was from(arcade ports too), but it doesn't look like it's from them.

It looks very familiar, but it's the background thats throwing me off.

Joe Redifer

I keep wanting to say Twin Bee.

guyjin

nat

No, and no. Is Magical Chase even an arcade port?

Tatsujin

NHK okaasan to issho niko niko pun?

ParanoiaDragon

I can't believe how long it took me to remember what it's from, I was thinking at first, New Zealand Story, but aha, it's Liquid Kid!
IMG

nat

Liquid Kids is correct!  ParanoiaDragon wins this round.

That means its your turn to post an image, if you like. Or, you can pass it off to someone else....

ParanoiaDragon

Hmm, I'll try &, now that I think about it, I don't really have any software to crop something out, but, I'll see what I can do, maybe take a picture of just a sprite or tile by turning them off in ME.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/29/2006, 09:04 PMHmm, I'll try &, now that I think about it, I don't really have any software to crop something out, but, I'll see what I can do, maybe take a picture of just a sprite or tile by turning them off in ME.
Or you could get a volunteer to crop it for you. Someone who wouldn't mind disqualifying themselves for the next round(preferably not me).  :)

ParanoiaDragon

Alrighty, how about this ?

/obocchamakunyoungerj005sv7.th.png
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/30/2006, 01:10 AMAlrighty, how about this ?

/obocchamakunyoungerj005sv7.th.png
Obochama Kun :D
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Aw man, you know, I thought it would take a while for somebody to come out of the woodwork to figure that out!  But I should've known you would've known such an obscure game ](*,)
IMG

Joe Redifer

OK how about this one:

IMG

Anyone who can't guess this one 2 seconds after seeing this not only isn't a true PC Engine fan, but they hate every NEC/Hudson product with an extreme passion and probably has AIDS as well.  I can't believe nobody hasn't already guessed this one and I haven't even pressed "SUBMIT" on this post yet.  What is this, some kind of Sony fanboy forum ?  Jeez!

Keranu

Hehehe  :mrgreen: . I love that game! That's definitely one of the most overlooked platformers out there.
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/30/2006, 03:05 AMOK how about this one:

IMG

Anyone who can't guess this one 2 seconds after seeing this not only isn't a true PC Engine fan, but they hate every NEC/Hudson product with an extreme passion and probably has AIDS as well.  I can't believe nobody has guessed this one yet and I haven't even pressed "SUBMIT" on this post yet.  What is this, some kind of Sony fanboy forum ?  Jeez!
Pipe Dream / Blodia ?
IMG

Joe Redifer

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!  I demand that you BAN yourself.  You are correct in your first post... kind of.

Keranu

I would commit Hari Kari on these forums if I could because of my failure of being a PCE fan nut, but unfortunately I don't have those kind of powers :( . Aaron, please ban me for my disgrace!
IMG

Joe Redifer

It's already been close to 4 or 5 minutes and nobody has guessed!  WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE ??!!  And I thought BT liked the system.  I guess not.

rolins

Jeez, that's not even from a PC-Engine game. It's from the MSX boot screen, right?

Joe Redifer

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do all of you hate the PC Engine so much?

guyjin

Joe Redifer

Bah!  You guys will never get it!

IMG

This is sooooo easy to guess if you are a REAL Turbo/PC Engine/Duo fan.  I guess this forum is for pretenders, so here is the answer:

IMG

It's Shinobi!  Duh!
OK I guess the fault is mine and I could have shown a little more detail.  In fact I think we all could (which is what my whole screenshot was about)!  :)

guyjin

i was on the right track! :p

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/30/2006, 03:11 AMIt's already been close to 4 or 5 minutes and nobody has guessed!  WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE??!!  And I thought Black_Tiger liked the system.  I guess not.
I just got to this thread too late and missed this round. Shinobi would've been my first guess, for obvious reasons.  :P

By the way Keranu, it's your turn to post something.

ParanoiaDragon

Yeah K, stop making sprites for a certain demo we have coming up(that people will wet their pants over), & come up with a screen shot! :wink:
IMG