Bubble Bobble

Started by soop, 02/06/2012, 09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrackTiger

Wow, that is amazing and I am so thankful that a project like this is being done for PCE instead of more popular consoles. =D>
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

shubibiman

I hope this will be released as a CD or even better : a hucard port !!!
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

esteban

Quote from: Aladar on 05/17/2015, 02:39 PMThe arcade is the only source, I have reverse engineered the coin-op and deeply studied the code.
The Z80 code is translated in the HuC6280 code but not in a mechanical way otherwise is too slow and big.
Every piece of code is redesigned to behave exactly as the original but with the speed and compactness of a code written with the HuC6280 in mind.
So the enemies behavior is perfectly reproduced, even the bugs!
In the future I will release the source code so everyone can mod it.
I can speak for all PCE fans in the cosmos: we are hugging and kissing you right now :)

IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Aladar on 05/17/2015, 02:39 PMThe arcade is the only source, I have reverse engineered the coin-op and deeply studied the code.
The Z80 code is translated in the HuC6280 code but not in a mechanical way otherwise is too slow and big.
Every piece of code is redesigned to behave exactly as the original but with the speed and compactness of a code written with the HuC6280 in mind.
You're my hero.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

seieienbu

I'm super grateful for the effort you've gone through.  I can't wait to play the finished port.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

SmokeMonster

You have a rare combination of great taste and immense skill. This is a really impressive undertaking.

Digi.k

O_o I think I need to keep an eye out for this

elmer

Excellent work! I look forward to seeing the finished game.  :)

You're a better man than I ... I got bored and gave up part way through when I started to disassemble Atari's Tempest.

I got further with SNK's Alpha Mission (many years ago) and have a working emulation (that's nowhere near as good as today's Mame) ... but for a programmer, doing this sort of thing has to be a real labor-of-love for a particular game.

Thanks for bringing Bubble Bobble to the PCE!

Aladar

WIP 20150610

Added:
- EXTEND screen.
- Fire bubbles effect.
- Potions.

TODO:
- Level 100.
- Ending(s).
- Music and sound FX.
- Various little things.

IMG IMG
IMG

Mzo

HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

esteban

MotherGunner

So many colors. Beautiful work!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

spenoza

How does the PC Engines palette and color capabilities compare to the arcade? Are there any problems with graphics conversions?

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 06/10/2015, 05:10 PMHow does the PC Engines palette and color capabilities compare to the arcade? Are there any problems with graphics conversions?
The color number limits are well within the PCE's capabilities and the colors in emulated screen shots are 9-bit, even if the shade values might be slightly different, they are staggered the same.

ARCADE <---------------------------------------------------------------> PC ENGINE COLOR
IMG IMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SmokeMonster

Wow, that is incredible beyond words. Cheers Black Tiger :D

CrackTiger

Quote from: SmokeMonster on 06/10/2015, 11:08 PMWow, that is incredible beyond words. Cheers Black Tiger :D
I just did an automated color conversion of that screenshot. :P This project (as far as I know) is all Aladar.

soop

Wow, I can't believe it!  I can't wait for this.
I'll finally have the trilogy, arcade perfect on original 8 bit hardware.

Well, as long as it gets produced!
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

esteban

Quote from: soop on 06/30/2015, 06:02 AMWow, I can't believe it!  I can't wait for this.

SOOOOOP!!!!

Welcome back, comrade :)

soop

Quote from: esteban on 06/30/2015, 06:05 AM
Quote from: soop on 06/30/2015, 06:02 AMWow, I can't believe it!  I can't wait for this.

SOOOOOP!!!!

Hey Esteban :D

I'm not sticking around though; I can't remember why this place popped into my head, but I was surprised to see one of my threads up so high, and then even more surprised by the excellent news!

I won't derail the thread further, but I'll add that it's nice to see the people I remember fondly still doing some good work, and hopefully you're all healthy and happy.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

esteban

Quote from: soop on 06/30/2015, 07:21 AM
Quote from: esteban on 06/30/2015, 06:05 AM

SOOOOOP!!!!

Hey Esteban :D

I'm not sticking around though; I can't remember why this place popped into my head, but I was surprised to see one of my threads up so high, and then even more surprised by the excellent news!

I won't derail the thread further, but I'll add that it's nice to see the people I remember fondly still doing some good work, and hopefully you're all healthy and happy.
SOOOOP!!

Well, if you can't stay for now, good luck with everything.

But you have to promise to stop by every now and then.

:)

But you should stay.

Opethian

OMG SOOP! did Donna lock you in a dungeon again?

wb
IMG

Harry Potthead

Yeah, this looks fantastic  :dance:

esteban

SOOOOOOOOP! :)

(Just hoping you will stop by again)

Quote from: Harry Potthead on 08/01/2015, 03:49 AMYeah, this looks fantastic  :dance:
Indeed it does. :)

Dicer

Updates?

I'm chompin at the bit to check this one out...

Aladar

Psycho Punch

Aladar for president.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

wildfruit

Fantastique magnifique

Dicer

Pixel perfect it seems, impressive stuff, can not wait :)

NecroPhile

That's looking awesome!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ultrageranium

It's super nice.

esteban

UPDATE: Aladar sent me a brief text message and said that the sfx/soundtrack for Bubble Bobble will be ripped from Rastan Saga II.  He knows purists might be upset, but the sound effects and chip tunes result in a very creative, fun mashup.

VenomMacbeth

Ewww, he couldn't have picked a better game to rip the sound from? :(

Still, looks amazing!
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

esteban

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 08/31/2015, 03:22 PMEwww, he couldn't have picked a better game to rip the sound from? :(

Still, looks amazing!
He has the sound engine from Rastan Saga II working and implemented, so it is a matter of convenience/time/etc.

elmer

Way, way cool ... he's done a great job on this!  :D

Dicer

Quote from: esteban on 08/31/2015, 02:04 PMUPDATE: Aladar sent me a brief text message and said that the sfx/soundtrack for Bubble Bobble will be ripped from Rastan Saga II.  He knows purists might be upset, but the sound effects and chip tunes result in a very creative, fun mashup.
IMG

Dicer

An update on this would be amazing...

spenoza

Thing is, pestering him about it every couple of months isn't going to speed things up.

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 10/31/2015, 11:44 AMThing is, pestering him about it every couple of months isn't going to speed things up.
Is it really pestering? I don't think a few months in between asking would constitute, after all the guy doing the port made the thread to begin with so it kind of has to be expected

Dicer

Quote from: guest on 10/31/2015, 11:44 AMThing is, pestering him about it every couple of months isn't going to speed things up.
Showing my love for the project by not letting is fester in page 2 of the forum, that's all...too many projects get forgotten and lost, I'd like to see this one finished.

spenoza

I take the position that if the creator has something to share, he/she will share it. We have all thus far been pretty clear on our desires to see this project see completion. I doubt that's going to change.

Dicer

Quote from: guest on 10/31/2015, 08:58 PMI take the position that if the creator has something to share, he/she will share it. We have all thus far been pretty clear on our desires to see this project see completion. I doubt that's going to change.
I'm Sorry, I'll stop trying to have a discussion on a discussion forum, my bad...

](*,)

spenoza

Quote from: Dicer on 11/01/2015, 12:35 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/31/2015, 08:58 PMI take the position that if the creator has something to share, he/she will share it. We have all thus far been pretty clear on our desires to see this project see completion. I doubt that's going to change.
I'm Sorry, I'll stop trying to have a discussion on a discussion forum, my bad...

](*,)
Ah yes, the old reductio ad absurdum. Putting aside for a moment that I'm not a mod and have no policing powers whatsoever, I never indicated nobody should discuss stuff. "An update on this would be amazing..." is not discussion. It's poking someone to see if they'll respond, which could be perceived as annoying. And I'm not trying to pick on just you. I think it's an annoying habit in general. We're basically the one group who is probably more excited about Aladar's project than any other. Do you think he's just gonna forget about us and never let us know it's done and playable or something?

Aladar

WIP 20151217

Added:
- Level 100.
- Ending(s).

TODO:
- Music and sound FX.
- "WELCOME TO SECRET ROUND" text in the secret rooms.
- Japanese text in the demo level.
- Options screen.
- Pause button.

IMG IMG

CrackTiger

So basically, the game is complete other than a few superfluous features and sound. =D&gt;

hoobs88

Quote from: Aladar on 12/17/2015, 01:35 PMWIP 20151217

Added:
- Level 100.
- Ending(s).

TODO:
- Music and sound FX.
- "WELCOME TO SECRET ROUND" text in the secret rooms.
- Japanese text in the demo level.
- Options screen.
- Pause button.

IMG IMG
First Episode VII and now this...Best Christmas Ever!
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

TurboXray

Are you writing a music engine or using something already out there? Just curious, since this kinda came up in a recent thread. And are you going to convert the music yourself or have someone redo them for you?

Btw - this looks awesome. What assembler or compiler did you end up using?

Dicer

Amazing stuff, can't wait to see the final product...

Aladar

Quote from: guest on 12/17/2015, 02:00 PMSo basically, the game is complete other than a few superfluous features and sound. =D&gt;
Don't be fooled by the TODO list, in fact it is what is missing and not what to do.
There is still a lot to do: clean and optimize the code, reorganize the data, fix various things, etc.

Quote from: TurboXray on 12/17/2015, 02:18 PMAre you writing a music engine or using something already out there? Just curious, since this kinda came up in a recent thread. And are you going to convert the music yourself or have someone redo them for you?

Btw - this looks awesome. What assembler or compiler did you end up using?
I will convert the music myself, for the engine I have not decided yet.

PCEAS v3.22 by Tomaitheous ;)
It is simple and I like the @ operator and the use of square brackets for the indirection.
I hate the use of + and - for the local labels... and breaks the consistency!

esteban

PCE BUBBLE BOBBLE is looking even better.

Awesome. :)