10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Shout box?

Started by rag-time4, 04/09/2012, 02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rag-time4

Does anyone have any news about the shout box? We still have the same note on the main page, that it was removed due to "abuse"... Are we going to be replacing it with anything or is it gone for good? Many of the guys who were regulars in the shout box have moved over to Paul's site at pcengine.freeforums.com and are still hanging out there, myself included from time to time.

Personally I would like to see it return, and I'm sure several others would as well.

TR0N

Ditto,it's been many months since the hack there has to be some thing 'that is secure to use.Still i like to see a chatroom put in instead since it has pm etc and plenty of other options.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

blueraven

Missing it too, is there a workaround in the works?

SignOfZeta

Personally, I never used the thing. I prefer to have my stupidity properly archived for the ages.
IMG

Tatsujin

Shoutbox and forums have a total completely different approach. In fact they working completely against each other, but I like em both :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

grahf

I'm with Zeta. I like reading through archived discussions.

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/09/2012, 04:00 AMPersonally, I never used the thing. I prefer to have my stupidity properly archived for the ages.
Yeah, I rarely used it. Every now and then I would be curious and check out the shoutbox, but it is a chore to read (and follow).

I wish there was a better solution...but, as Tats pointed out, the shoutbox does conflict with the forums. I'd rather have conversations in archived threads.

Shoutbox is like... gossiping around the water cooler.

My apologies to all the shoutbox lovers out there.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

thesteve

shout is great for quick tech support.
its much easier to troubleshoot with quick responses.
results, should be archived forever, not troubleshooting

roflmao

I miss the shoutbox.  I wasn't a regular, but I popped in every once in awhile.  I still do over at the other forums, but it would be convenient if it was integrated here again.  Only I like the chat window over at the other forums better than the shoutbox.

Tatsujin

The shoutbox is just pure quick entertainment for some like-minded peeps wo like to chat a bit. Mostly nonsense or troll stuff and yes some troubelshooting, but which shouldn't be placed in forums anyway.

For all the peeps who like to chat, why not use this detour here: http://pcengine.freeforums.org/index.php

Most of us are shouting there, since this one went down.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

thesteve

only prob is no new reg

Tatsujin

shoot paul a mail. or is it absolute final?

PunkCryborg

BigusSchmuck

Or better yet get a chatroom! Sheesh!

Tatsujin

We got a chatroom! sheesh!

TheClash603

I miss the shoutbox a lot too!  Would love to see it back.

Bernie

Yeah, I would too.

kakutolives

Quote from: Bernie on 04/16/2012, 11:28 AMYeah, I would too.
although i only used if for a bit when I just had registered. I thought it was great as well.
Good Sellers (in my experience)
Samurai Ghost, Keith Courage, Bernie, tggodfrey, bartre (hoping to add more to this list soon)

People who are just plain Awesome:
BlueBMW (to this day i thank you for hooking me up with Sapphire and getting me started with collecting PCE games)

Tatsujin

I'm for a Rolf box.

kakutolives

well if the moderator does not want to do it for some security reason or another, why not just choose to create a XAT chat box and just link to it?
that way it would remain separate from the site. just a suggestion
Good Sellers (in my experience)
Samurai Ghost, Keith Courage, Bernie, tggodfrey, bartre (hoping to add more to this list soon)

People who are just plain Awesome:
BlueBMW (to this day i thank you for hooking me up with Sapphire and getting me started with collecting PCE games)

roflmao

There's a chat box set up at http://pcengine.freeforums.org/new_chat.php though I think registration may be closed to new users.  My turbomusic site has a chatbox (linked in my sig), but I have a feeling if more than 3 people used it simultaneously, the site would come to a screeching halt.  My web plan is really cheap. :mrgreen:

Arkhan Asylum

I've had #pcefx on irc.rizon.net for awhile now, but you're all too tarded to get on thurrrrrr
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 04/26/2012, 02:13 PMI've had #pcefx on irc.rizon.net for awhile now, but you're all too tarded to get on thurrrrrr
Good to know, didn't know anyone still used IRC.

GameFreak

I was just wondering about the shout box. I would really like to see it return!!! There must be a way to still keep it going without "abuse".
What was the abuse???

Bernie

It was how the site's security was breached.

GameFreak

oh thats awful! I was thinking spam. There must be a simple way to get a new secure one up and running. And if you dont like it, dont use it. But I hope it returns.

PunkCryborg

Just go here game freak http://pcengine.freeforums.org/
Might have to pm sunteampaul to register. The chat room is pretty active with a bunch of the regulars on here.

GameFreak

so I guess there's no hope of it returning here...sigh. I never been over there so I will be sure to check it out.

Mathius

I really wish we could get our old chatbox back. God bless Sunteam, but the chatbox over at his site gives me headaches every night I log on. I'll post a sentence and either it posts in several minutes/never posts/or the whole chatbox completely locks up on my end. And I have tried logging on in every browser I have on my computer.

...sometimes a post I wrote 30 to 45 minutes ago suddenly decides to post out of order and during a different discussion.

I can have the fastest speeds my internet is capable of, and while I can fly through any page I desire the second I try to log into chat my internet slows to a crawl. It happens every night. The only thing I can do about it is to keep resetting my router and hope for the best.

Please bring back chat, Aaron.

PunkCryborg

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/16/2012, 12:33 AMWe got a chatroom! sheesh!
yeah speaking of which, someboday (not gonna name names) hasn't stopped in in a while
hmmm who could it be

esteban

The problem with the Shoutbox is that because I rarely used it, I felt I was missing out on something.

But when I did use it, it was not nearly as engaging as a real conversation.

But then again, it was only place I'd see chop5 (and a bunch of others) posting with any frequency...

Stupid shoutbox :pcgs:

blueraven

esteban

guyjin

Okay, so another forum I belong to recently set up a shoutbox. Can anyone clue me in on how the shoutbox was used to breach security, so I can warn them?

wilykat

Doubt anyone would share the details of how to exploit the shout box. Wouldn't want the information  to fall in the wrong hand and get abused.

The best is for the forum admin that do know how it's done to get in direct contact with the forum owner.