OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Scan: TurboExpress in Playboy magazine

Started by Deletion, 08/12/2012, 09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deletion

While cleaning out a box of old Maximum PC, PC World and Stereophile magazines, I came across a Playboy from 1991. It had been over 20 years since I'd laid eyes on it, so of course I had to thumb through the pages. In addition to the lovely ladies, there was a small piece on cool gear that featured the TurboExpress. Here are some scans. If anyone that runs a fansite wants to offer these files, feel free.

Download Link: turboexpress_playboy199104.pdf

Here's what the PDF contains:
IMG

If you just want the money shot:
IMG
/turboexpressplayboy1991.jpg

HercTNT

only reason to read it for the articles. amazing you got the turbo express full monty :)

DildoKKKobold

According to the inflation calculator, $250 in 1991 is $420 in 2012.

Looking at completed ebay auctions, even now,  a new one doesn't sell for the same price!

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/turbografx-16/turboexpress#completed-auctions-new

This made me go look up the Turbo Duo's premier price - $299.99, which is $490.67 in today's money. Heck, even a Turbo Duo is cheaper now than it was back then!
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Deletion

Once I got past the side boobage, something else caught my eye...

IMG

KnightWarrior

Did the TurboExpress ever go down to the $50 range in the 90's??

Flare65

Looks like she has the gloves on inside out.

Flare65

Quote from: KnightWarrior on 08/12/2012, 10:47 PMDid the TurboExpress ever go down to the $50 range in the 90's??
Never saw it go that low.  I remember it going to 99.99 in the stores, but most were sold out by then.

ChrisBucci

HercTNT

motdelbourt

The girl looks like she just woke up at the Fresh Prince's house and couldn't find anything to wear.

Great find, though. It's fun to see the Turbo Express marketed here at the adult audience. They've got Power Golf in the thing, and they're hyping it's capability to be hooked up to a VCR.

Those could well be the gloves, turned inside out. Can anyone who bought the gloves in the recent ebay sale confirm?

FiftyQuid

Quote from: Deletion on 08/12/2012, 10:24 PMOnce I got past the side boobage, something else caught my eye...
IMG
LOL.  You can just barely see the NIKE logo, but that would have been AWESOME!
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

Deletion

Instead of the awesome authentic TG gloves, she is wearing some tacky Nike versions. The bottom of the Nike swoosh and tops of the letters can be seen peeking out from behind her yellow bracelet.

EDIT: D'oh, Fifty beat me to it. #-o :P

GohanX

Now, we just need to get some of the other pages scanned and posted...

I kinda miss pre-Photoshop Playboy :(

FiftyQuid

Quote from: Deletion on 08/13/2012, 12:01 AMEDIT: D'oh, Fifty beat me to it. #-o :P
Sorry Deletion.  :)

So this chick is what now?  50 years old?  *Shudder*
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

esteban

Quote from: Deletion on 08/12/2012, 09:36 PMIf anyone that runs a fansite wants to offer these files, feel free.
Well, of course this is going here:

TurboExpress listings @archives

Playboy listings @archives

Deletion, comrade:
But hopefully you scanned at a high resolution and still have the original files? Because I'd like to get that, as well :pcgs:

Basically, it's "future proofing" ( https://archives.tg-16.com/help_us.htm#scanning ) IMG

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 08/13/2012, 12:55 AM
Quote from: Deletion on 08/13/2012, 12:01 AMEDIT: D'oh, Fifty beat me to it. #-o :P
Sorry Deletion.  :)

So this chick is what now?  50 years old?  *Shudder*
She's 46 years old now and she still remembers the TurboExpress fondly.

Quote from: Deletion on 08/12/2012, 10:24 PMOnce I got past the side boobage, something else caught my eye...
IMG
You can't create a more captivating reason to play KLAX than this. Seriously.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

Ha!  Nice find and thanks for sharing.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Deletion

Quote from: esteban on 08/13/2012, 07:15 AMWell, of course this is going here:
Sweet! Glad I could help.

QuoteBut hopefully you scanned at a high resolution and still have the original files? Because I'd like to get that, as well :pcgs:
Basically, it's "future proofing" ( https://archives.tg-16.com/help_us.htm#scanning ) IMG
I sure do. The pages were scanned at 300dpi and cleaned up a bit in Photoshop. Here are the TIFF files; let me know if you want them in another format.

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5

420GOAT

Playboy and TG-16 in one sitting....AWESOME!
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car.

tggodfrey

Look closely at the velcro strap of the gloves.  You see the outline of the original NIKE logo and slash
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

esteban

Quote from: tggodfrey on 08/14/2012, 12:06 AMLook closely at the velcro strap of the gloves.  You see the outline of the original NIKE logo and slash
Yes :pcgs:. Someone pointed that out earlier, but I appreciate that you confirmed his analysis with your independent investigation. :pcgs:

Quote from: Deletion on 08/13/2012, 12:47 PM
Quote from: esteban on 08/13/2012, 07:15 AMWell, of course this is going here:
Sweet! Glad I could help.

QuoteBut hopefully you scanned at a high resolution and still have the original files? Because I'd like to get that, as well :pcgs:
I sure do. The pages were scanned at 300dpi and cleaned up a bit in Photoshop. Here are the TIFF files; let me know if you want them in another format.

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
THANK YOU, .tiff is PERFECT! :pcgs:

esteban

NightWolve

Quote from: esteban on 08/13/2012, 07:15 AM
IMG
You can't create a more captivating reason to play KLAX than this. Seriously.
IMG

https://twitter.com/Playboy/status/1435665707962880008
PlayboyTweet.jpg

Upon patching/embedding lost Image Shack images (thanks to esteban for preserving the PDF!) with some liberties for Klax/TG-gloves and sharing this retro thread, someone questioned if this Playboy issue was for the UK-market. Most any searches for "Playboy April 1991" continue to confirm it's US - Dixon/Deletion who scanned it was a US resident, plus you got interviews with famous US entertainers: Steve Martin, Martin Scorsese, and boxer George Foreman. Those interview choices were for an American/US market.

And for those of you curious about this particular model that made the cover, another "detective" on Facebook discovered her name/info, etc. Julie Ann Clarke from Arizona, she was the March 1991 Playmate.

Quote from: esteban on 08/13/2012, 07:15 AM
Quote from: FiftyQuid on 08/13/2012, 12:55 AMSo this chick is what now?  50 years old?  *Shudder*
She's 46 years old now and she still remembers the TurboExpress fondly.
FiftyQuid was a tad off in 2012 (DOB: 8/11/1969), so she would actually be 52 now and looking back on the Turbo Express fondly, haha!

Addendum #1: During my typical perusing on Twitter, I came across the April 1990 PC Engine Fan cover which gave me a fun idea for an interestin' comparison to append here! Turns out the editors of PlayBoy magazine were a tad more conservative on how much female skin to show for the front cover versus our PC Engine pals/brethren in Japan, ha! Let's take a look!

PCEFanApril1990.jpg PlayboyApril1991.jpg

So special thanks to Gaming Alexandria for this extra, unexpected PCE excursion who is on a sacred mission to scan all PC Engine Fan covers for preservation on WayBack!

Addendum #2: This thread/forum was private to the vast majority of the public, a consequence of which is lost images (Wayback couldn't scan them) and less visibility/fondness of its legacy/history, etc. So to undo some of the past, I'll occasionally share the "best of" threads (like this one) on other platforms where PCE people might congregate. I'd say it was a success judging by the fun replies I got on Facebook and Twitter.

Ashevent

I need those gloves! Pink please!