OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

10.02.13 - Forum Upgrades / Theme changes

Started by PCEngineFX, 10/02/2013, 11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineFX

Hi all,

I had to upgrade SMF, my SQL DB and PHPBB to fix continued server load issues, which means the forum theme is now totally messed up :(
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG

BlueBMW

I'm just happy the forum is up and running :)
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

roflmao

Me too!  I'll have some spare time in a couple of weeks if you'd like a hand rebuilding the theme (or building a new one).  Unfortunately, I'm buried in work at the moment.

PCEngineFX

Quote from: guest on 10/02/2013, 11:24 PMMe too!  I'll have some spare time in a couple of weeks if you'd like a hand rebuilding the theme (or building a new one).  Unfortunately, I'm buried in work at the moment.
No problem - I'll be messing with it over the next week, so expect the look to slowly change.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Please make it go faster.  This default theme hurts my face.

:)
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Joe Redifer

This looks like a new version of the forum software. Or was the old theme that customized?

I know when we upgraded (not sure if that's an appropriate word) the forum software at Sega-16, none of the old themes worked at all.

PCEngineFX

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/03/2013, 12:13 AMThis looks like a new version of the forum software. Or was the old theme that customized?

I know when we upgraded (not sure if that's an appropriate word) the forum software at Sega-16, none of the old themes worked at all.
Both.  I upgraded from SMF 1.x.x to 2.0.5 and old theme didn't work so had to make a new one.
IMG

Duo_R

Looks weird but glad the forums are up
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

PCEngineFX

One change that I just made is that Guests are no longer welcome to browse the forum.  This will help in preventing spambots/robots/search engines to screw with my forum bandwidth.

As far as the forum theme goes, I know everyone was used to the old look, but I'm not going to go back to that theme/color.  The one I have up right now might not stick either depending on how things go.
IMG

TheClash603

It looks weird because I have been looking at something else for a few years, but I am sure I will get used to it soon.

As long as this makes things run more smoothly, I can handle a little brownish-purplish whatever.

esteban

STATUS: I am pleased. Things may even get better, and I will then be doubly pleased.  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Opethian

IMG

jlued686

I like change! The old forums were looking a bit dated, so I'm excited to see what you have in store, Aaron. Thanks for making the effort!

OldRover

Dunno, I kinda like this theme. It's minimalist, but it could be worse.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

FiftyQuid

Quote from: OldRover on 10/03/2013, 10:28 AMDunno, I kinda like this theme. It's minimalist, but it could be worse.
It makes my eyes burn.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

Ji-L87

Fresh! Could do with a bit more contrast tho' and just one step higher in the font size department. Or maybe I just got bad eyesight.
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

turboswimbz

It's be better if the background wasn't all white, I do suggest that some contrast would be nice.  Excited to N-E-see the new forum theme though.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

PCEngineFX

Quote from: turboswimbz on 10/03/2013, 11:26 AMIt's be better if the background wasn't all white, I do suggest that some contrast would be nice.  Excited to N-E-see the new forum theme though.
I see what you did there :)

I do hear you all about the white.  I'll see what I can do about that next.
IMG

Bernie

lol, I dont log in for a week, and when I do I think I am in the wrong place.  :)  Important thing is that its back online.

MotherGunner

Lol, I just asked myself if I was at the right forum.  Cool to see changes.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 10/03/2013, 09:51 AMI like change! The old forums were looking a bit dated, so I'm excited to see what you have in store, Aaron. Thanks for making the effort!
lol, dated.   This is a PCE forum!

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 10/03/2013, 11:24 AMIt makes my eyes burn.
Yeah.

It really is too white/lacking in contrast between clickable things.

If we're totally changing the theme, why not just go with a gray background + blue text so it looks like a CGII or Super Grafx or something?

........ errr, isn't that basically what the old forum was? :D

or go with grays and oranges, or basically any dark background with light text, because it makes people's eyes less bloody.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

PCEngineFX

Yah, I'm looking into it.  I'd like to have the colors relate to the TG-16 or something.....we'll see.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

You  mean black with red/yellow/orange text?

I'm down.   Do it!

jlued686

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/03/2013, 01:00 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/03/2013, 09:51 AMI like change! The old forums were looking a bit dated, so I'm excited to see what you have in store, Aaron. Thanks for making the effort!
Hey, just 'cause we talk about a console from the 90s doesn't mean we have to look like a forum from the 90s! :)

PCEngineFX

Quote from: guest on 10/03/2013, 02:48 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/03/2013, 01:00 PM
Hey, just 'cause we talk about a console from the 90s doesn't mean we have to look like a forum from the 90s! :)
This is also true - My goal is to bring the modern and retro together in the most pleasing way possible.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Just please, whatever you do, don't make the background darker than the text. That's what really makes my eyes burn. A little darker, definitely. So actually it'd be less contrast.

Also, a "Mark posts as read" or similar button is now missing. I don't read every new post each time I visit so I'd like to be able to click it (as I did before) right before I leave so I can see which topics have new posts the next time I return. And can we increase the editing time to 5 minutes? I always have typos, add a bit of crap right after I submit, etc. It'd be nice to have a small buffer before the "edited" script shows up at the bottom of the post.

MotherGunner

I just tried it on iOS.  There is a Tapatalk app that's optional for it.  Not bad so far but learning how to use it.
-MG

NecroPhile

I'm just glad it's working.  What it looks like only concerns me if it's hard to read/use.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jeffhlewis

PCEngineFX

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 10/03/2013, 07:12 PMOoh Tapatalk - finally!
Please note that the site currently makes zero $ from users accessing the forum via Tapatalk.  I thought I saw a monetization option when I signed up last night so I'll be looking into that shortly...in the meantime, don't do all of your forum browsing on your phones if you can :)
IMG

jeffhlewis

Not a super heavy user of it; just a convenience occasionally. Otherwise I can send a donation ;)

MotherGunner

-MG

Sadler

Immensely happy for the upgrade! You've got a good eye for design, I'm sure what you settle on will look great. Thanks!

Arkhan Asylum

This  new rainbow colored theme made me extremely hard. 

Joe Redifer

And for the love of Christ or Buddha or whatever you find Holy, if you DO use Tapatalk PLEASE turn off the signature that says "Sent from my shitty phone using Tapatalk".

Tapatalk users are the worst for this reason alone.

Also, the forums seem a little thin. My screen is 1920 pixels wide and the forum is only about maybe 850 pix wide. Anyway to widen this a bit?

Ji-L87

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/04/2013, 01:55 AMAlso, the forums seem a little thin. My screen is 1920 pixels wide and the forum is only about maybe 850 pix wide. Anyway to widen this a bit?
This is true. It's a bit cramped. As an example, I remember seeing much more of Arkhans pictures in the PC-FX+S-Video thread :mrgreen:
Fullscreen forum is best forum : )

Readability on this theme is much better tho'. Except, I have no clue if there's a new post in any of the forums unless I check them one by one? I guess the building's split when there's one?

Edit: I don't mean to discourage you, only want this place to remain awesome! :mrgreen:
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Opethian

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/04/2013, 01:55 AMAnd for the love of Christ or Buddha or whatever you find Holy, if you DO use Tapatalk PLEASE turn off the signature that says "Sent from my shitty phone using Tapatalk".

Tapatalk users are the worst for this reason alone.

Also, the forums seem a little thin. My screen is 1920 pixels wide and the forum is only about maybe 850 pix wide. Anyway to widen this a bit?
it should scale to the edges like the old layout did
someone plz halp!
IMG

jlued686

Hey Aaron, thanks for updating the forums!

While we have your attention, would it be possible to add an moderator or two? It'd be really nice to have for when you're too busy to take care of things. I know a lot of people nominated Necromancer for the job.

Thanks again!

OldRover

What this place needs is an additional admin, someone who is active and knows the ins and outs of the SMF software.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: The Old Rover on 10/04/2013, 11:41 AMWhat this place needs is an additional admin, someone who is active and knows the ins and outs of the SMF software.
nah.  What it really needs is more moderators.

PCEngineFX

Quote from: guest on 10/04/2013, 09:56 AMHey Aaron, thanks for updating the forums!
While we have your attention, would it be possible to add an moderator or two? It'd be really nice to have for when you're too busy to take care of things. I know a lot of people nominated Necromancer for the job.
Thanks again!
Yep, the mod situation is on my list of things to update.

Quote from: OldRover on 10/04/2013, 11:41 AMWhat this place needs is an additional admin, someone who is active and knows the ins and outs of the SMF software.
Thanks......I AM doing my best here trying to update the forum. :\  You don't need an expert to know how to do things with SMF....
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah, you don't need an expert for any forum software anymore, really, lol.

You just click a bunch of buttons and checkboxes!   

and drag/drop themes into folders and make sure they work when you activate them. :)

Duo_R

I am no expert on SMF But sounds simple enough. Always willing to help but yeah NecroPhile gets my vote!

;-)
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

jlued686

I'm also willing to take on the Moderator role. I know my way around SMF forums. But Necromancer is my nominee as well.

Thanks again, Aaron. The site's looking good.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Duo_R on 10/04/2013, 12:54 PMI am no expert on SMF But sounds simple enough. Always willing to help but yeah NecroPhile gets my vote!

;-)
Well, the S does stand for simple...

lol

Arjak

Hey, what the heck!? The forum looks all cool and stuff all of a sudden! :P

I like the change; it gives things more...personality.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

MotherGunner

Hi Aaron, I am staying away from tapatalk and using the standard browser on my iOS, I did notice that the feature I use the most (Unread Posts/Replies) is now a pair of tiny icons on the upper right next to my avatar.  (It is even smaller on Mobile).

Are these tied to the theme, or would you consider making that feature more prominent at the top?

Thanks!
-MG

PCEngineFX

Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/04/2013, 02:28 PMHi Aaron, I am staying away from tapatalk and using the standard browser on my iOS, I did notice that the feature I use the most (Unread Posts/Replies) is now a pair of tiny icons on the upper right next to my avatar.  (It is even smaller on Mobile).

Are these tied to the theme, or would you consider making that feature more prominent at the top?

Thanks!
The icons are tied into the theme, but I'm not liking them either.  I think I'll look one more time for a different theme that has everything we are looking for.
IMG

OldRover

You don't have to be an expert, but when you do upgrades, sometimes things break and it's good to know your stuff to know how to do tweaks to keep things running smoothly.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 10/04/2013, 04:01 PM
Quote from: MotherGunner on 10/04/2013, 02:28 PMHi Aaron, I am staying away from tapatalk and using the standard browser on my iOS, I did notice that the feature I use the most (Unread Posts/Replies) is now a pair of tiny icons on the upper right next to my avatar.  (It is even smaller on Mobile).

Thanks!
The icons are tied into the theme, but I'm not liking them either.  I think I'll look one more time for a different theme that has everything we are looking for.
Hi aaron,

yeah please do that. i have the very same problem as mothergunner.

and please add some dark skins ;)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..