The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

That movie you just watched

Started by Medic_wheat, 06/09/2014, 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic_wheat

Going to se the new Tom cruse movie edge of tomorrow today with the wife.

Why do I feel like this movies best parts where already shown on the trailers and I am going to walk away thinking this should have been a rental......

Ok ok think positive thoughts.  Positive thoughts. 

But at the same time has Tim crus even done a better then decent/average sci if movie? 

Maybe I should just watch Malifacent instead.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 06/20/2014, 11:56 PMWatched 28 Weeks Later last night. Better than I expected for a sequel from a B+ movie. The music is a real highpoint. Been listening to composer John Murphy nonstop now:
I liked both films. There's a particular film from the 80's that I thought the sequel borrowed from...I'll have to find the title. You might like it (more, even, since it's not particularly popular...but it should be, considering the rebirth of Zombie stuff).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Medic_wheat

Okay just finished watching Malifacent.

My wife loved it and wth the teaser that seems to sugest a kive action Cinderella movie next year she is estatic.

I for one was disappointed and board.

The ending was entirely to easy to guess. Infact every major plot point was telegraphed from the start it felt.

The theif who would be king never seemed to learn anything and was a thoroughly unlikable character with no redeem uhhng wqualities.

Which made Malifacent well she had nobe if the grandiose she had in the original animated movie.

I wouldnt even give this a rental.

Maybe I wasnt the target audience but I had hoped this would have been something both parents and children could have enjoyed instead it felt like something a 12 year old would love and thats it

NightWolve

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/21/2014, 09:46 AMBut at the same time has Tim crus even done a better then decent/average sci if movie? 
Yeah, I think so. I loved Oblivion, it was the 2nd movie the "Tron: Legacy" director did. I watched it many times to boot. The other SciFi movies he did are Minority Report and Vanilla Sky (which is actually SciFi as is later revealed). Now, I dunno how well VS did in the theaters, but I'm sure MR did well, it had Steven Spielberg attached to it after all (director). While I don't like MR as much as Oblivion, it's still a pretty solid SciFi action/adventure movie well worth watching and poses the interesting, age old question about how much liberty should we sacrifice in the name of security/crime-fighting.

Tatsujin

just watched "street smart "
and
"the house on carroll street"

:)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

roflmao

Currently watching 'World War Z" on Netflix.  I saw it awhile back and liked it.  I've since read the book, and while this is NOTHING like the book, it's still a fun zombie romp. (I don't know how they'd turn that book into a decent movie) The book is very recommended.  I couldn't put it down.

MrFulci

Most recently, Romancing the Stone, on Blu-ray. It looked nice, it's been a long time since I've seen the movie.

Now, I'm getting ready to watch, "Top of the Heap". It just recently had it's first official DVD release.

After that, "Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker". Also first time on DVD.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Mzo

Just watched Days of Future Past.

Nothing made me angry.  That's a pretty big compliment for a comic book movie.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

esteban

Quote from: MrFulci on 06/22/2014, 02:52 AMMost recently, Romancing the Stone, on Blu-ray. It looked nice, it's been a long time since I've seen the movie.

Now, I'm getting ready to watch, "Top of the Heap". It just recently had it's first official DVD release.

Romancing the Stone. I haven't seen that since it was in the theaters. Ha!

Jewel of the Nile is in your future. It is not worth your time, but it's the same formula....

MrFulci

Quote from: esteban on 06/22/2014, 08:14 AM
Quote from: MrFulci on 06/22/2014, 02:52 AMMost recently, Romancing the Stone, on Blu-ray. It looked nice, it's been a long time since I've seen the movie.

Romancing the Stone. I haven't seen that since it was in the theaters. Ha!

Jewel of the Nile is in your future. It is not worth your time, but it's the same formula....
Eventually, I'll get around to Jewel of the Nile, it's been a long time for that one, also.. But not anytime in the near future. The Blu-ray for RTS was cheap, so I picked it up. The, "Little Mule" was fun.

Anyway, another to add here;

- 48 hrs.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Double Ugly

Quote from: guest on 06/22/2014, 02:04 AMCurrently watching 'World War Z" on Netflix.  I saw it awhile back and liked it.  I've since read the book, and while this is NOTHING like the book, it's still a fun zombie romp. (I don't know how they'd turn that book into a decent movie) The book is very recommended.  I couldn't put it down.
Just finished this. It was good but didn't bring anything new to the zombie genre.

DeshDildo

Quote from: Double Ugly on 06/22/2014, 06:50 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/22/2014, 02:04 AMCurrently watching 'World War Z" on Netflix.  I saw it awhile back and liked it.  I've since read the book, and while this is NOTHING like the book, it's still a fun zombie romp. (I don't know how they'd turn that book into a decent movie) The book is very recommended.  I couldn't put it down.
Just finished this. It was good but didn't bring anything new to the zombie genre.
Other than the fact that zombies can run and climb.   This movie was cool but not amazing.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

esteban

Quote from: Desh on 06/22/2014, 07:32 PM
Other than the fact that zombies can run and climb.   This movie was cool but not amazing.
No, there is at least one classic Italian zombie film where they are running and fully agile. I gotta look at my VHS tapes to find the title.

Anyway, it is awesome when a hackneyed formula is flipped upside down or tweaked. Great scenes where protagonists are trying to race away in vehicles and zombies just run alongside on the road.

I recall black faces/hands on these zombies, if that rings a bell. I haven't seen it in 25 years. Ha.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Desh on 06/22/2014, 07:32 PM
IMG
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Psycho Punch

eh just realized this movie was referenced in this page's 1st post. But anyway athletic zombies are nothing new I assure you.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

HailingTheThings

Quote from: esteban on 06/22/2014, 11:40 PMNo, there is at least one classic Italian zombie film where they are running and fully agile. I gotta look at my VHS tapes to find the title.

Anyway, it is awesome when a hackneyed formula is flipped upside down or tweaked. Great scenes where protagonists are trying to race away in vehicles and zombies just run alongside on the road.

I recall black faces/hands on these zombies, if that rings a bell. I haven't seen it in 25 years. Ha.
?

IMG
IMG

MrFulci

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 06/23/2014, 02:58 AM
Quote from: esteban on 06/22/2014, 11:40 PMNo, there is at least one classic Italian zombie film where they are running and fully agile. I gotta look at my VHS tapes to find the title.

?
The Italian zombie movie with the crazy fast zombies is Nightmare City. It has the ending in the amusement park.

MrFulci

People here talking about zombie movies, and nothing new being brought to the table, etc.

I saw Days of Darkness on DVD years ago. it thought that was Good and different for a recent zombie film. It's nothing big budget, has a small amount of humor, but I liked it for being something different.

SplatterTrigger

I was able to squeeze in another viewing of Akira over the weekend.

esteban

Quote from: MrFulci on 06/23/2014, 06:22 AM

?
The Italian zombie movie with the crazy fast zombies is Nightmare City. It has the ending in the amusement park.

Hell yes! I gotta watch that again.

Next you'll be able to help me with an Australian/New Zealand film about the end of the world ("Night of the Comet"/"Day of the Triffids"-esque) where a few folks are just trying to survive and a large paramilitary group consolidated a lot of power/control (a problem for our protagonists) and secures a stronghold in a mansion with huge, lush green lawns. Floodlights are triggered whenever anything steps foot on the vast lawn.

"The Day After"?

Something like that....

MrFulci

Quote from: esteban on 06/23/2014, 12:18 PM

?

Next you'll be able to help me with an Australian/New Zealand film about the end of the world ("Night of the Comet"/"Day of the Triffids"-esque) where a few folks are just trying to survive and a large paramilitary group consolidated a lot of power/control (a problem for our protagonists) and secures a stronghold in a mansion with huge, lush green lawns. Floodlights are triggered whenever anything steps foot on the vast lawn.

"The Day After"?

Something like that....
If you mention the film's possible decade, I could help.

Day After, probably not.

Threads, that's a UK film, but that doesn't have a scene like that, that I know of.

Australia, there is that movie, On the Beach...

I think the movie you're looking for may be Every Blade of Grass. It's a UK film.

Also, along those lines, Miracle Mile is pretty good.

edited to add; 28 Days later has a similar setting near the end.

jeffhlewis

Finally saw the Lego Movie. Not as epic as I was hoping for but still pretty damn good for kid's fare.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 06/23/2014, 12:29 PMFinally saw the Lego Movie. Not as epic as I was hoping for but still pretty damn good for kid's fare.
But everything is awsome

What is there not to love about this film?

Ill be honest I did enjoy this movie

Until my friends kid watched it on repeat for three days straight.

My crashing on the couch/living room didnt help

I feel asleep and woke up to this movie during the weekend I hungout at his house

If only he had cable. Or had I remembered to bring my hard drive of movies I could have browken up the kid movie fest

esteban

Quote from: MrFulci on 06/23/2014, 12:21 PM
Quote from: esteban on 06/23/2014, 12:18 PM

?

"The Day After"?

Something like that....
If you mention the film's possible decade, I could help.

Day After, probably not.

Threads, that's a UK film, but that doesn't have a scene like that, that I know of.

Australia, there is that movie, On the Beach...

I think the movie you're looking for may be Every Blade of Grass. It's a UK film.

Also, along those lines, Miracle Mile is pretty good.

edited to add; 28 Days later has a similar setting near the end.

It's an 80's film (mid-80's)

I've seen Threads (I liked it) back in high school.

Miracle Mile is awesome. Cult classic, as far as I am concerned. I eventually lived in LA area (I'm from NJ originally), so I loved seeing all the movie locations/references for films in general, but especially stuff like Miracle Mile.

I HAVE THE TANGERINE DREAM SOUNDTRACK. But that's because I have been electronic music junkie since I was a kid. Tangerine Dream are not offering anything too groundbreaking, but I still dig it.

The clamshell VHS tape and packaging I remember from video store makes me want to say it was distributed by Warner in the US.

I gotta figure this out!

UPDATE: The Quiet Earth (!!!!) now, I may have been blending in some things from other films, but I can't wait to rewatch it.

MrFulci

This Quiet Earth is a good one, though I last watched the movie about 10 years ago. I should give it another viewing, sometime.

In TQE, I don't recall the flood lights and such that you mentioned, but No Blade of Grass and 28 Days later have some similarities to what you described.

Oh, Idaho Transfer, which is stuck in Public Domain Hell (No good legitimate release) is another good one, similar to what you mentioned.

Back to This Quiet Earth. What I recall about the movie, is there is a lot of exploring early on, then the love triangle, then the ending.

Esteban, I'm glad you figured out the title. If you mentioned 80s, I may have figured it out. But now that you've mentioned the title, I think in the next week or so I'll watch it again, it's been long enough.

esteban

Fulci, I'm absolutely going to rewatch all these films. It's been so long.  :pcgs:

Tatsujin

The Hit. very cool Terence Stamp movie :D
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

MrFulci

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/24/2014, 07:35 AMThe Hit. very cool Terence Stamp movie :D
I saw that soon after Criterion released it. I recall it being decent, I can't recall too many details offhand, other than the river, and the van, ending in the field/hills.

The Last Run pops into my mind when I think about The Hit. I almost got the two confused. It has George C Scott in it. Tatsujin, if you've never seen that one, give it a go, it's pretty good.

Medic_wheat

IMG

Just saw Wolf Children.

It was pretty good even if it was geared more towards the female demographic.....

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/24/2014, 09:15 AMIt was pretty good even if it was geared more towards the female demographic.....
It's cool, we're all girls here.
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 06/25/2014, 12:23 AM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/24/2014, 09:15 AMIt was pretty good even if it was geared more towards the female demographic.....
It's cool, we're all girls here.
Want me to make a women out of you?

Oh yeah I went there.          And now I am very confused by my own statements.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/25/2014, 01:15 AMWant me to make a women out of you? Oh yeah, I went there. And now I am very confused by my own statements.
Fixed. And.. you couldn't even if you tried your hardest.
IMG

Tatsujin

Link - kinda strange but good movie with elisabeth shue and terence stamp.

MrFulci

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/26/2014, 02:08 AMLink - kinda strange but good movie with elisabeth shue and terence stamp.
Link is a movie, where I thought it was decent when I saw it on VHS, then years later on DVD when I saw it again I thought a bit less of it. It's been about 10 years since I last saw it, so sometime I should watch it again. It was a bit creepy at times. Scenes that stick out with me are the cliff and the ending.

Sparky

Watched with my kids " How To Train Your Dragon 2" just go watch it, better then the first and Dreamworks does it right, a movie for kids and adults. Just a great flick.

TheClash603

Sunset Boulevard -  It is amazing a movie made 60+ years can feel as fresh as it does and have so much edge.  I am on a pre-1960s movie kick.

Tatsujin

watch the rope :)

it's 1948 but feels like 60s/70s.

TheClash603

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/08/2014, 11:19 PMwatch the rope :)

I love Hitchcock and never saw this one.  I will have to check it out!

Jordan

Supercop and Ever After. Jacki Chan is always fun though this one was by no means his best. Ever After is a romance most of ya'll would probably not be interested in watching though there are some funny parts.

MrFulci

Quote from: TheClash603 on 07/09/2014, 12:25 AM

It's decent, It may not make it in my top 10 favorite Hitchcock films, but it's interesting how the movie look like it was all done in 1 take.

MrFulci

- Unhinged (1982)

- The Demon (1978) -  I haven't seen this in almost 10 years, the USA had a DVD release in 2004. Good stuff, a man's former girlfriend dumps his 3 kids on him due to not receiving enough support money from him. it still packs a bit of a punch.

FiftyQuid

Brought my 3 and 5 year old to their first movie at the theatre.  We all saw How To Train A Dragon 2.  MUCH better than the first one!  Great kids movie.  Both kids enjoyed it and so did my wife and I.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 07/08/2014, 09:48 PMWatched with my kids " How To Train Your Dragon 2" just go watch it, better then the first and Dreamworks does it right, a movie for kids and adults. Just a great flick.
I loved the first film so I find it hard to believe the second film could actually be better.  :pcgs:

Quote from: TheClash603 on 07/08/2014, 10:22 PMSunset Boulevard -  It is amazing a movie made 60+ years can feel as fresh as it does and have so much edge.  I am on a pre-1960s movie kick.
Great film. Something tells me you would love watching all the film noir and film noir-esque stuff.

I can also recommend non-noir stuff that you might like (The Thin Man films are fun if you can get old-timey. Myrna Loy is beautiful and is able to speak her mind and has lots of great moments. Refreshing, sharp, rapid dialogue makes it "modern"—a similar formula is used in His Girl Friday which is amazingly fresh/modern with the dialogue and performances. Amazing).

His Girl Friday is the one to choose if you only watch one. Absolute classic.

Quote from: TheClash603 on 07/09/2014, 12:25 AM

So many great Hitchcock films. I had a hilarious set of Hitchcock films on VHS—hilarious because the films were introduced by a washed-up, intoxicated, overly dramatic __________ who was reading the Teleprompt as best he could.

TheClash603

Esteban, you ever go to Film Forum?

The recently had a good Hitchcock file event.

esteban

Quote from: TheClash603 on 07/10/2014, 07:16 PMEsteban, you ever go to Film Forum?

I was a member years ago! I went all the time. This was in the 90's before I had kids and I,  my wife and my friends went into NYC all the time.

The seats weren't comfortable or roomy (not back then, anyway), but it was fun as hell.  :pcgs:

TheClash603

Quote from: esteban on 07/10/2014, 08:47 PM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 07/10/2014, 07:16 PMEsteban, you ever go to Film Forum?

I was a member years ago! I went all the time. This was in the 90's before I had kids and I,  my wife and my friends went into NYC all the time.

The seats weren't comfortable or roomy (not back then, anyway), but it was fun as hell.  :pcgs:
Best movie theater popcorn in town too.  That is one thing I miss about NYC and I always try to stop when I have a week there for work.

HailingTheThings

Recently watched "Spawn" on Blu Ray. o.m.g.

Saw this opening day when I was younger, remembered loving it. I still do in a way, but its really bad.
IMG

wallzter

Just got back from seeing Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Thought it was alright but liked Rise better.  Even tho it starred James Franco. Also saw Transformers last week....... Sucked!

Medic_wheat

Quote from: wallzter on 07/12/2014, 09:01 PMJust got back from seeing Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Thought it was alright but liked Rise better.  Even tho it starred James Franco. Also saw Transformers last week....... Sucked!
I plan to see it tomorrow with friends and the wife.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: wallzter on 07/12/2014, 09:01 PMJust got back from seeing Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Thought it was alright but liked Rise better.  Even tho it starred James Franco. Also saw Transformers last week....... Sucked!
James Franco. lol
IMG