10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

SOLD OUT: PCE/Turbografx RGB THS7374 amps and cables

Started by mickcris, 04/01/2015, 10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickcris

Update 1/6/18:
output resistor values updated.  see here:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=18845.msg512644#msg512644

Prices are for items shipped inside of the USA.  Other countries may have additional shipping cost.   Payment accepted via paypal.  Please do not add a note in paypal mentioning anything about mods or similar terminology.

Amp now has a THS7374 (with LPF bypassed) for amplification instead of a THS7314.  THS7374 produces a sharper image than the THS7314.  Also, most other amps for sale do not account for the non standard output of the PC Engine/TG16 and will have too bight of an output with washed out colors.  This amp has proper output resistance and the display device will see it as 75 ohms.  The amp comes with a piece of double side tape attached to the bottom.

Also available is sync stripper add-on board.  Board outputs 75 ohm sync.

amp only = $20 shipped
amp + connector + euro scart cable = $40 shipped
amp + sync strip add-on + connector + euro scart cable + $44 shipped

Amp includes 2 4.7uf ceramic caps at no extra charge in case you want to do Viletim's jailbar fix.

IMG
IMG

Available are PCB mount 8 pin DIN (RGB pins pre trimmed and labeled) for consoles like the CoreGrafx, Turbo Duo, etc.. or circular panel mount 8 pin DIN for IFU-30, Tennokoe 2, etc...

Panel Mount's data sheet with dimensions: http://www.cui.com/product/resource/sd-xxls-series.pdf

mmmonkey has a good guide on how to install the PCB mount jack:
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/core-grafx-rgb-mod/

I can also make the cable JP21 upon request.  Also can make an 8 pin mini din cable upon request, but there is not much demand for those so not going to keep any premade after I run out of what I have made already.

Here are a few pics of the amp (old style but new one is the same size) installed in a console:

IMG
IMG
IMG

previous rev amp installed on a duo

IMG

mickcris

retrofixes

Such great info here.

I have a few kits premade.  Yet I could use some tips on sourcing mini din ports and and cables.
any helps would be great!

mickcris

Quote from: retrofixes on 04/13/2015, 12:38 AMSuch great info here.

I have a few kits premade.  Yet I could use some tips on sourcing mini din ports and and cables.
any helps would be great!
you can get mini din ports on ebay or an electonics webstore, like mouser.  cables i got from monoprice.

Alt-Nintega

Hi Can you explain what these do? RGB amps?

mickcris

Quote from: guestPlease explain what these do.
All Turobgrafx and PC Engine consoles are capable of outputting RGB with a mod.  The signal is too weak though and needs to be amplified.  You can see here for more information about rgb mods and the chip that is included in this circuit: https://www.retrorgb.com/thsamps.html

mickcris

bump.  amps/cables still available

mickcris

Keith Courage

These amps work great. Installed one in a DUO-R to be used with a framemeister X-RGB mini and no jail bars can be seen. Amazing video quality.

Amp looked well made and even had some double sided sticky tape on it for easy install.

Highly recommend :)

King_Vidiot

Quote from: mickcris on 05/08/2015, 05:21 AMbump. back home from vacation.
I have a Duo that was RGB modded by a member on here and he also made a BNC cable for me but now I want a scart cable since all my other RGB systems are scart. Can I assume that your cable will work with my Duo or is it dependent on what RGB amp was used?

mickcris

Quote from: King_Vidiot on 05/12/2015, 02:14 PM
I have a Duo that was RGB modded by a member on here and he also made a BNC cable for me but now I want a scart cable since all my other RGB systems are scart. Can I assume that your cable will work with my Duo or is it dependent on what RGB amp was used?
depends on if they wired the din jack the same or the colors would be off

thesteve

Quote from: King_Vidiot on 05/12/2015, 02:14 PM
if thats the one i did, the RGB mod is standard, i just put a sync separator in the cable itself

mickcris

I have 18 amps built up and ready to ship.  Not sure yet if I'm going to do anymore to sell after these though.

mickcris

bump. still have amps available.

sirhcman

got my rgb cable for my duo-r today.. top notch quality and speedy service!

LMS

I can recommend these too. I recently ordered a couple of amps along with leads and various other parts from mickcris and can confirm they are of high quality. Communication was great and everything arrived exactly as requested. Great service, thanks again.

mickcris

bump.  have cables and amps ready to ship

thesteve

i can vouch for the build quality, just inspected one of his

mickcris

bump.  i have some made up, but will be moving in a few weeks.  i am going to try to finish up the partially built amps i have and make some more cables later this week.

mickcris

Got about 35 amps/connectors and 20 regular din and 10 mini din cables made up.  I am moving in a couple weeks and most of my stuff (including tools) will be in storage for a bit till I find somewhere permanent to live.  I may need an extra day or two to ship during that time, but I should be able to keep this stuff with me and hopefully it will last a bit.

seieienbu

I figure I'll put in a plug here. Mickcris recapped my duo and gave me an RGB and a region mod for a pretty reasonable rate.  His RGB amp is fantastic; I'm enjoying super sharp and colorful graphics coming out of my Duo. 

If you're on the fence about an RGB output mod, I'd highly recommend his amp.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

bozo55

Quote from: mickcris on 07/06/2015, 01:19 AMGot about 35 amps/connectors and 20 regular din and 10 mini din cables made up.  I am moving in a couple weeks and most of my stuff (including tools) will be in storage for a bit till I find somewhere permanent to live.  I may need an extra day or two to ship during that time, but I should be able to keep this stuff with me and hopefully it will last a bit.
I hate moving.  Hoping it goes well.

mickcris

thanks. have almost all my stuff packed up.  it has not been fun but will be over in a couple more days.  at least until i have to move it back out of storage. :)

wilykat

Moving sucks.  No matter how well you try to prepare, something inevitably goes missing.  I am still missing a sealed Sword and Serpent for NES oh about 3 moves ago. It was a gift I was going to play after I moved but I never found it since then. If it ever turns up, I'll just eBay it, and let some fool pay way too much for it, then pay too much again to have VGA case and seal slapped on it and spend the next 8 years trying to sell on eBay to recoup that investment.

compil3r

Hello hello! Are these still for sale? Thanks!

mickcris

yeah, i made up a bunch before i packed my soldering equipment up.  so i have plenty available.

mickcris

mickcris

mickcris

mickcris

mickcris

mickcris

mickcris

cables with built in sync stripper now available.  updated 1st post.

mickcris

goldenpp72

Just wanted to throw in a vouch that this work and price is the real deal, very helpful seller as well. Pleasure to deal with :)

Keith Courage

MotherGunner

I want to say that Mickcris is a real stand up guy.  I fully endorse him, and his offerings.  He helped me when I needed it the most.  You will not be disappointed.

Thanks, man.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

mickcris

SegaSonic91

Fantastic seller and incredibly helpful and patient with help/advice with installing the mod.

I will need to grab a few more amps.  Possibly 3 plus PCB mount DIN8s.  How much would that be with postage to Australia?  Thanks!

mickcris

Quote from: SegaSonic91 on 12/28/2015, 11:42 AMFantastic seller and incredibly helpful and patient with help/advice with installing the mod.

I will need to grab a few more amps.  Possibly 3 plus PCB mount DIN8s.  How much would that be with postage to Australia?  Thanks!
thanks.  sent you a PM

mickcris

mickcris

lowered prices for the new year and tried to clean up the first post a little

mickcris

ActionJackson

Purchased white Turbo Duo with RGB mod from mickcris.  Arrived quickly and as described with great extras he threw in for me.  It's working great and couldn't be happier.  I was initially having problems with the picture and he took the time to help me troubleshoot the problem and even sent me a second cable to try and help me out.  Ultimately the problem was on my end and had nothing to do with his mods.  Now it is working great and I'm very thankful!

mickcris

bump.  added a recapped Turbo Express since the last thread went so well

mickcris

spawnshop

I want to get one!

I'm currently using this converter:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D86UYBS?keywords=scart%20to%20hdmi&qid=1449860605&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

It works great for my SEGA Genesis, Saturn, PS1, etc. and other consoles on my Samsung TV.  For those consoles i use a CSynce cable.  Do I need to regular cable you offer?  (No sync strip, correct?)

Also, if i install this in the core US T16 unit, will the CD and docking system play through it?  Or do i still have to use the AV Composite on the docking unit?

mickcris

Quote from: spawnshop on 02/07/2016, 02:31 PMI want to get one!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D86UYBS?keywords=scart%20to%20hdmi&qid=1449860605&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

It works great for my SEGA Genesis, Saturn, PS1, etc. and other consoles on my Samsung TV.  For those consoles i use a CSynce cable.  Do I need to regular cable you offer?  (No sync strip, correct?)

Also, if i install this in the core US T16 unit, will the CD and docking system play through it?  Or do i still have to use the AV Composite on the docking unit?
The regular cable I have, with composite video for sync, would work fine.

If you install in a TG16 then you still can use RGB on the CD games.  You just need to get sound out of the dock.  The way I would do it though would be to install it in the dock so you dont have to use 2 cables.  You would have to rig something up to splice the audio and video back together before your converter, but it wouldnt be too difficult.

spawnshop

Quote from: mickcris on 02/07/2016, 06:16 PM
Quote from: spawnshop on 02/07/2016, 02:31 PMI want to get one!

The regular cable I have, with composite video for sync, would work fine.

If you install in a TG16 then you still can use RGB on the CD games.  You just need to get sound out of the dock.  The way I would do it though would be to install it in the dock so you dont have to use 2 cables.  You would have to rig something up to splice the audio and video back together before your converter, but it wouldnt be too difficult.
Cool, thanks for the tips!   I'm OK with getting sound from the Dock.  The extra cable isn't an issue.
But I'm assuming that would only be the CD games and that the hucards would be OK from the core system?

mickcris