Bonk's Return (mobile) *OFFICIAL THREAD*

Started by PCEngineFX, 08/22/2006, 03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineFX

Bonk is about to make a big splash in the mobile space and wanted to make an official thread just for his return!

08.22.06 - Bonk's Return screenshots added showing off upgraded graphics!
http://www.hudsonent.com/gamedetail.php?game_id=26&console=0
Hudson just put up new screens from the re-vamped version of Bonk's Return for mobile - check out the comparison shots from the previous E3 build to the new one - a huge graphical difference!
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

PC Gaijin

Sorry, but the E3 build looks better. The almost photorealistic style of the backgrounds in the new build looks way out of place in comparison to the cartoony characters. Also, what's up with Bonk's eyes? :lol: He looks like he's stoned (yuk, yuk). Anyway, at least they didn't use that hideous Bonk concept art posted previously.

td741

I was thinking the same on the new backgrounds.  Although I think the 3rd one:
IMG works fairly well.

PCEngineFX

Bonk's Return is now making the rounds on the cell networks!  Verizon, Midwest Wireless, T-Mobile, Movilnet, Unefon & Verizon Puerto Rico should have the game now, with Cingular, Sprint and other networks in the coming weeks.

Expect a full review w/video on pcengine-fx.com soon!
IMG
IMG

jlued686

Ok, after some extended playtime, here are my thoughts:

It looks great.  There's no denying that for a cell phone game, it looks phenomenal.  The backgrounds are gorgeous and the character animations are true to the original games.

Sound?  Who needs sound?  There isn't any in-game music, which is probably a good thing, considering the butcher job they did with Lumines Mobile.  The intro music is like a tinny version of the original, but is a nice try, I guess.

I have a Razr phone and getting my thumbs to not shut the game off while I'm trying to perform platforming jumps that require far too much precision for a cell phone is a major challenge.  And I don't like playing with the number pad because my phone beeps every time I hit a number.  And seriously, who's idea was it to throw in tiny platforms that if missed send poor Bonk into a lava pit?  On a console, with a real control pad that doesn't require you to jump and then push another button for direction, it would have been acceptable.  But not here.  The cell phone pad is the worst form of control ever.

But the game itself and how it's laid out seems almost home-made.  Platforms are in weird places and the levels aren't very clever.  There are some spots that take forever to get past because the platforms are placed so poorly.  To be brutally honest, I've downloaded more cleverly designed fan made levels on MegaMan Powered Up.

Anyway, it's still nice to have Bonk back and on my cell phone.  I think after I get used to the hideous cell phone pad (if ever) I may warm up to it more.  Hudson, now that you've got this out of your system, it's time to get on with a proper Bonk game.  This game is tolerable, but not the series deserves more.

esteban

Thanks for the review jlued :)

You can turn the volume down on your cell phone to "silent" to eliminate the annoying beeps, hopefully. (This worked for me in "Scrabble Blast" -- an excellent game by the way!)

As for the D-pad + hitting "off" problem: this is a major, major failure of the mobile gaming developers! In the last few months (since I got a fancy cell phone), every game I've played suffers from this. It is a ridiculously unforgivable flaw in the UI, as far as I am concerned. I was 35-40 minutes into a map in Military Madness and whoooops! my thumb accidentally turns off the game. To make matters worse, MM lacks an "auto-save", so unless you deliberately create a save-state, you're screwed. Unacceptable, Hudson. Surely they could have two save states: one temporary, one user-defined.

Now, I suppose I could use the number pad instead of the D-pad, but I hate using the number pad.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PCEngineFX

IMG
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

I seem to have the old version.  It doesn't have the updated graphics, it does have sound, but no intro music.  It's reaaaaally slow on my phone.  I'm assuming, I'd be able to get the newer version, if I had a better phone.  I think Dementia of Hudson has mentioned the possibility of more Bonk in the future on regular platforms.
IMG

PCEngineFX

Not necessarily an "old" version, but a "graphically reduced" version would be more accurate to say.  Sounds like your phone can barely handle the game and is doing everything it can to run.  On my phone, which is only a year or two old, also does not display the BG graphics, but I do have full intro music and sound FX (and plays quite fine).
IMG
IMG

Odonadon

Quote from: stevek666 on 10/20/2006, 06:34 PMAs for the D-pad + hitting "off" problem: this is a major, major failure of the mobile gaming developers! In the last few months (since I got a fancy cell phone), every game I've played suffers from this. It is a ridiculously unforgivable flaw in the UI, as far as I am concerned. I was 35-40 minutes into a map in Military Madness and whoooops! my thumb accidentally turns off the game. To make matters worse, MM lacks an "auto-save", so unless you deliberately create a save-state, you're screwed. Unacceptable, Hudson. Surely they could have two save states: one temporary, one user-defined.

Now, I suppose I could use the number pad instead of the D-pad, but I hate using the number pad.
Just a question - I personally don't understand gaming on cell phones.  I have a Treo (Palm OS), and to me gaming on that makes sense.  But a cell phone just has such crappy controls and no touch screen - how can any game possibly be enjoyable? :)  Why not digital watch gaming?  Why not get a gameboy or a Treo if you really want mobile gaming?  I've always thought cell phone gaming was a fad that would go away, but it's lasting longer than I expected :)  Perhaps mp3 player gaming will replace this.  Perhaps it will never go away.

I don't get it :) I don't mean to be insulting, just curious what the appeal is?  Puzzle games I can understand, but not former console games.

OD

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

PCEngineFX

They make games for cell phones because the hardware is capable of running them.  Granted, each cell phone is different, and yes there is the major problem of not being able to press two keys at once, but games are at least playable (doesn't mean the games are good..just playable :))  Zuma for example is quite well done on mobile, and works great.  Bonk (or other platform games) don't work quite as well for the previously stated reason, but developers make mobile games because it is a growing, hot market and cheap to develop for.

I personally play my cell when I don't have my PSP around, so it works great as just something to pass the time.  The appeal is that I have a phone, it is able to play games, so I buy games for it to play.  If I had a Treo, I'd be doing the same thing but I don't need or want a Treo so being able to play games on the phone I have now it why I do it.

Lastly, we ALL should be buying Bonk's Return just for the sake of the game alone, no matter how good or bad it may run/control.  Hudson is trying to make a comeback with Bonk, and if people don't buy it now, well....we may never have this chance again to see Bonk resurrect from the dead.
IMG
IMG

Odonadon

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 11/04/2006, 07:16 PMLastly, we ALL should be buying Bonk's Return just for the sake of the game alone, no matter how good or bad it may run/control.  Hudson is trying to make a comeback with Bonk, and if people don't buy it now, well....we may never have this chance again to see Bonk resurrect from the dead.
I will never buy a game based on name or brand alone.  That will never happen :)  At least not for me.  I make it a rule to buy only those games that are good :)

Having said that, maybe it's not such a bad thing of Bonk wasn't resurrected.  I don't know about anyone else, but I sure don't have the respect for Mario like I used to (appearing in an absurd number of games), and I've lost it almost completely for Sonic (the 3D games will never compare to Sonic 2).  Please, let's not let this happen to Bonk :)  Let's support his appearance in good games only, assuming this one is not that great (after reading Jlued's thoughts).

OD

esteban

Quote from: Odonadon on 11/04/2006, 11:35 PM
Quote from: Pcenginefx on 11/04/2006, 07:16 PMLastly, we ALL should be buying Bonk's Return just for the sake of the game alone, no matter how good or bad it may run/control.  Hudson is trying to make a comeback with Bonk, and if people don't buy it now, well....we may never have this chance again to see Bonk resurrect from the dead.
I will never buy a game based on name or brand alone.  That will never happen :)  At least not for me.  I make it a rule to buy only those games that are good :)

Having said that, maybe it's not such a bad thing of Bonk wasn't resurrected.  I don't know about anyone else, but I sure don't have the respect for Mario like I used to (appearing in an absurd number of games), and I've lost it almost completely for Sonic (the 3D games will never compare to Sonic 2).  Please, let's not let this happen to Bonk :)  Let's support his appearance in good games only, assuming this one is not that great (after reading Jlued's thoughts).

OD
Yes, yes, yes! I totally agree! Hudson has to do more than merely include the likeness of Bonk in a game if they want my support (by that, I mean my $$$).

esteban

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 11/04/2006, 07:16 PMThey make games for cell phones because the hardware is capable of running them.  Granted, each cell phone is different, and yes there is the major problem of not being able to press two keys at once, but games are at least playable (doesn't mean the games are good..just playable :))  Zuma for example is quite well done on mobile, and works great.  Bonk (or other platform games) don't work quite as well for the previously stated reason, but developers make mobile games because it is a growing, hot market and cheap to develop for.

I personally play my cell when I don't have my PSP around, so it works great as just something to pass the time.  The appeal is that I have a phone, it is able to play games, so I buy games for it to play.  If I had a Treo, I'd be doing the same thing but I don't need or want a Treo so being able to play games on the phone I have now it why I do it.

Lastly, we ALL should be buying Bonk's Return just for the sake of the game alone, no matter how good or bad it may run/control.  Hudson is trying to make a comeback with Bonk, and if people don't buy it now, well....we may never have this chance again to see Bonk resurrect from the dead.
I can't / don't want to carry around a handheld system, since I have enough stuff I lug around in my pockets: cell phone, wallet (too fat!), lip balm, mini swiss army knife, keys (lots!). I am not even a fan of cell phones, but I am required to always be "on call", so I have to bring it with me wherever I go. Since I bring it everywhere, it's with me when I have a few minutes of free time. That's the only reason I even ventured into cellular games: it was convenient (like Mr. Nanto said).

Now, even though I fear that Cellular Bonk might not be a good game, I must admit that my curiosity will probably get the better of me and I will probably play it at some point. However, it costs an outrageous $7 on my provider (Verizon) and I'm hoping that they will knock it down to $4. I don't know if they will ever lower the price, but at this point I have no desire to spend $7 on a cellular game (unless it was, you know, STELLAR! by all accounts).

Cellular gaming is a quirky platform, for sure.... but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't want to play Blodia (Timeball) on my phone! :)

BonkThis

Quote from: Odonadon on 11/04/2006, 01:45 PM
Quote from: stevek666 on 10/20/2006, 06:34 PMAs for the D-pad + hitting "off" problem: this is a major, major failure of the mobile gaming developers! In the last few months (since I got a fancy cell phone), every game I've played suffers from this. It is a ridiculously unforgivable flaw in the UI, as far as I am concerned. I was 35-40 minutes into a map in Military Madness and whoooops! my thumb accidentally turns off the game. To make matters worse, MM lacks an "auto-save", so unless you deliberately create a save-state, you're screwed. Unacceptable, Hudson. Surely they could have two save states: one temporary, one user-defined.

Just a question - I personally don't understand gaming on cell phones.  I have a Treo (Palm OS), and to me gaming on that makes sense.  But a cell phone just has such crappy controls and no touch screen - how can any game possibly be enjoyable? :)  Why not digital watch gaming?  Why not get a gameboy or a Treo if you really want mobile gaming?  I've always thought cell phone gaming was a fad that would go away, but it's lasting longer than I expected :)  Perhaps mp3 player gaming will replace this.  Perhaps it will never go away.

I don't get it :) I don't mean to be insulting, just curious what the appeal is?  Puzzle games I can understand, but not former console games.

OD
It will never die, we all need something to do while pooping at work :lol: :mrgreen: :twisted:

nat

A little late to the party, but I downloaded this over the weekend for my phone. The version I got (T-Mobile) is the "original" version without the nice background graphics. I'm not really sure how I get the version with the better graphics; I wasn't given the choice anywhere, and it's not an option in the config menu.

That said, the game is actually pretty cool and somewhat addicting. However, there appear to be about 20 levels, set up into groups of 4 or 5 that share a common theme. This is way too redundant for a cell phone game, and playing the same level with a slightly different layout gets a little old by the 5th time through.

Also, the version on my phone has no sound at all, regardless of how the "sound" setting in the config menu is set.

esteban

Quote from: nat on 06/22/2009, 10:59 PMA little late to the party, but I downloaded this over the weekend for my phone. The version I got (T-Mobile) is the "original" version without the nice background graphics. I'm not really sure how I get the version with the better graphics; I wasn't given the choice anywhere, and it's not an option in the config menu.

That said, the game is actually pretty cool and somewhat addicting. However, there appear to be about 20 levels, set up into groups of 4 or 5 that share a common theme. This is way too redundant for a cell phone game, and playing the same level with a slightly different layout gets a little old by the 5th time through.

Also, the version on my phone has no sound at all, regardless of how the "sound" setting in the config menu is set.
I still have this on my cell phone. Damn, was it 2-3 years ago I got this? I have the updated version, and I got up to the last? stage (it says I have 1 mile left), but I keep f'ing up and can't even get to the "boss" battle (Drool?). The platforming is tricky in many places. There are also "practice" modes that seem pointless.

The title screen music is neat on my phone (ancient Motorola on Verizon). There are only sound fx during the gameplay, IIRC, though. I kinda like the updated backgrounds...

jlued686

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I was thinking today about how it's a shame nobody's ever going to get to play Bonk: Brink of Extinction, despite the fact that - by all reports - the game was finished. Then, I remembered this game, Bonk's Revenge. I had played this on my old Motorola Razr phone, and despite the fact that I didn't really care for the game, I've held onto my old phone just to have a copy of it for "posterity", I suppose. What can I say? I'm a huge Bonk fan. So I started thinking about how silly it was that the only way I could play this game was on my old phone.

Well, lo and behold, a couple of Google searches later and I was playing it on my PC with a Saturn USB controller.

Playing the game with a controller is certainly a marked improvement over my shitty old Razr key pad. The controls are still clunky and stiff, but I can at least sorta maneuver Bonk with a bit of precision. My complaints about the level designs remain. No control pad can fix poorly-designed levels, after all.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it for those who were interested.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 03/26/2012, 03:16 PMSorry to resurrect this old thread, but I was thinking today about how it's a shame nobody's ever going to get to play Bonk: Brink of Extinction, despite the fact that - by all reports - the game was finished. Then, I remembered this game, Bonk's Revenge. I had played this on my old Motorola Razr phone, and despite the fact that I didn't really care for the game, I've held onto my old phone just to have a copy of it for "posterity", I suppose. What can I say? I'm a huge Bonk fan. So I started thinking about how silly it was that the only way I could play this game was on my old phone.

Well, lo and behold, a couple of Google searches later and I was playing it on my PC with a Saturn USB controller.

Playing the game with a controller is certainly a marked improvement over my shitty old Razr key pad. The controls are still clunky and stiff, but I can at least sorta maneuver Bonk with a bit of precision. My complaints about the level designs remain. No control pad can fix poorly-designed levels, after all.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it for those who were interested.
I've never had a chance to try it, I may make similar google searches sometime soon.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Tangent: ! I love that this thread has been ressurrected, because I still use my old cell phone (with Military Madness and Bonk's Return on it) as my ALARM CLOCK. That old phone is the BEST ALARM I have ever had. I wake up to a MIDI rendition of a tune from Bonk's Revenge.

I will be devastated if this phone ever dies on me.
/tangent

Back on topic: I still haven't been able to get to the end of the last stage to (presumably) battle King Drool. I haven't played Bonk's Return in ages...I hope my progress is still saved.

I don't want to emulate this game until I have beaten it with the sub-par controls on my cell phone.

soop

Quote from: esteban on 03/27/2012, 07:54 AMTangent: ! I love that this thread has been ressurrected, because I still use my old cell phone (with Military Madness and Bonk's Return on it) as my ALARM CLOCK. That old phone is the BEST ALARM I have ever had. I wake up to a MIDI rendition of a tune from Bonk's Revenge.

I will be devastated if this phone ever dies on me.
/tangent

Back on topic: I still haven't been able to get to the end of the last stage to (presumably) battle King Drool. I haven't played Bonk's Return in ages...I hope my progress is still saved.

I don't want to emulate this game until I have beaten it with the sub-par controls on my cell phone.
Best alarm clock I ever had was my PS1 with a timer switch and Street Fighter Alpha 3.  I still have both, and if I ever move my CRT back to my bedroom, I'll consider setting that up again :D
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 03/27/2012, 07:54 AMI don't want to emulate this game until I have beaten it with the sub-par controls on my cell phone.
Hardcore!  Princess Za would be proud.  :D
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

GohanX

QuoteBest alarm clock I ever had was my PS1 with a timer switch and Street Fighter Alpha 3.  I still have both, and if I ever move my CRT back to my bedroom, I'll consider setting that up again :D
The intro in that game is LOUD, using it as an alarm is pretty hardcore. It would scare the shit out of me.

soop

Quote from: JKM on 03/27/2012, 12:43 PM
QuoteBest alarm clock I ever had was my PS1 with a timer switch and Street Fighter Alpha 3.  I still have both, and if I ever move my CRT back to my bedroom, I'll consider setting that up again :D
The intro in that game is LOUD, using it as an alarm is pretty hardcore. It would scare the shit out of me.
Ah, but the best thing was, I'd try and ignore it for a bit, but then I have to get out of bed to turn it off.  And once you're out of bed and it's on anyway, why not have a quick game?

Cut forward a few fights, and it's like I've been up for hours!
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!