The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

Hello World

Started by Kavas, 09/22/2016, 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kavas

Hi,

I recently just purchased from mikecris here on the forums a Duo RX. Now that it's on the way I finally felt like I could introduce myself!

My experience with the Turbografx / PC Engine consoles is next to nothing. I recall in school a kid who I met on the bus that lived in my neighborhood had one. I didn't even know there was a console other than a Nintendo or Sega at the time. He wasn't allowed to have people over often so I only saw it that one time at his house. He showed me Keith Courage and Fantasy Zone. What stood out to me at the time was the bright colors and quirky characters. That was the extent of my experience with the console, so it remains to this day a huge black hole in my gaming library experience. Looking back now I do remember seeing ads for the console in GamePro and other gaming related magazines but as a kid unless I saw it first hand I wouldn't really get it. I feel this is where NEC dropped the ball in terms of marketing the console. Should have had more kiosks or the like at Blockbusters, etc.

Anyhow, I have been absorbed in the retro game scene for awhile and keep coming across youtube videos like "game sack" or "my life in gaming" which hype up the PC Engine / TurboGrafx library. I wasn't aware it was as big in Japan as Sega was here in the states. Those quirky graphics are right up my alley as I love how Japanese themes and anime made up the catalog. After discovering there was actually a Zelda-like game called Neutopia on the system I had to pull the trigger and get one as that's one of my favorite type of games during that generation.

I am starting completely from zero on my library, so I am watching a bunch of top 10/20/50 lists to see what is affordable. I understand I could have played these titles with an emulator, but it really bothers me when as of late I ask a sales rep in some gaming store what retro games they have. They always try to sell me a Retron or some other nonsense. To them I say, "where's the romance in not playing it on the original hardware?". If I wanted to dump a cart I might as well play it on an emulator!

So I will be lurking these forums tapping your brains with my noob questions and discovering what this line of consoles has to offer! First of all though I need to actually get a game to play!  :oops:

Otaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

esteban

Welcome, comrade. :)

WBIII: Monster Lair
Dragon Saber
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

majors

Quote from: Kavas on 09/22/2016, 07:23 PMI am starting completely from zero on my library, so I am watching a bunch of top 10/20/50 lists to see what is affordable. ... "where's the romance in not playing it on the original hardware?". If I wanted to dump a cart I might as well play it on an emulator!
Nothing wrong with a flashcard to test out some games. Two camps tho...some, like me, use it for convenience and to try out titles then buy. Other is one-and-done, non-collector and just fine with using a flashcard for life. Maybe they do not have a lot of shelf space, dunno...but it's not me.

Since I goto events with consoles, it's lame to just drop a PC down with an LCD with all-teh-gaymes and call that a retro setup. You need real hardware, real controllers, real CRT! I mean people are paying money to come to these events...give 'em a show at least. 

Lot of threads dealing with "must get" titles for obey, enjoy your stay.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Warbucks

Welcome Aboard!!!

Nice introduction, you will find a wealth of knowledge here.

crazydean

Good choice pulling the trigger on the duo. You will be glad you did when you see and hear some of the great CD games!

Also, welcome aboard!

tbone3969

Welcome and enjoy your stay.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."