10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

NES classic

Started by dallaspattern, 11/12/2016, 12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignOfZeta

Video games are so fun in 2017.
IMG

crazydean

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/10/2017, 09:39 AMVideo games are so fun in 2017.
They aren't if you are an impulsive idiot. You don't need every fucking gadget that is made. There are millions of NESs still out there. The damn things are indestructible.

sirhcman

QuoteSpecifically, Fils-Aimé said preorder problems did not indicate a supply issue, and he urged potential customers not to turn to third-party resellers to buy the device.

"I would strongly urge you not to overbid on an SNES Classic on any of the auction sites," he said. "You shouldn't pay more than $79.99."
Yeah okay..........

Raizen1984

What Nintendo should do, and perhaps there's some kind of economic reason why they can't do this, but they should sell these on their own site.  Put up a preorder page, let everyone who wants one fill out an order, and then make them on demand.  They can't be that expensive to manufacture, and they would make a killing.

I mean, am I crazy, or would this not solve every issue that's cropped up on this?

OldMan

Quote...then make them on demand.
I doubt Nintendo owns the plants that actually manufacture them. So to get them made, they have to order a minimum quantity.
Order too many, and they sit in the warehouse, tying up $$ that could be used elsewhere.
Order too few, and you have the current situation.

Its a no-win sutuation. They're gonna pi$$ someone off, either way :/

crazydean

My understanding is that Nintendo expects retailers to buy their inventory, but won't take it back if it doesn't sell. This gives them some protection against poor sales. Also, they will be selling millions of these. Nintendo isn't set up to ship millions of orders. They ship fewer orders with larger quantities. They would need much more staff to do that.

jperryss

Let's see what this announcement does to ebay prices in the next few months:
https://kotaku.com/nintendo-bringing-back-the-nes-classic-in-2018-1803771394

sirhcman

Quote from: jperryss on 09/12/2017, 09:19 AMLet's see what this announcement does to ebay prices in the next few months:
I will believe it when I see it. Reggie has lied multiple times already about the NES and SNES Classics so it is hard for me to believe anything these people say now. Also the NES Classic coming back next summer could indicate next years "holiday run" since they won't be able to have a "new" Classic system ready for the holidays. If they spoke about actual production #s then maybe I will listen but until then I won't believe them.

crazydean

Quote from: jperryss on 09/12/2017, 09:19 AMLet's see what this announcement does to ebay prices in the next few months:
It's not going to do anything until the units are actually available. Also, there's going to be a way to distinguish between the first model and the new one. I'm sure people won't care about that though, people don't care able variants.

NecroPhile

If (when) they bring it back, it'll be with a different mix of games.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 09/12/2017, 10:33 AMIf (when) they bring it back, it'll be with a different mix of games.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

That fits perfectly.  :lol:

Nobody will buy another one if it's exactly the same, so they'll change up the game mix a bit and/or model it after a 101.

jlued686

I'd actually be quite surprised if they put new games on it or change it in any way. I still know plenty of people who didn't get the first one and still want it. If they change it up, it'll sorta defeat the purpose of rereleasing it, right?

NecroPhile

The purpose of re-releasing it is to sell more of 'em and make more money.

CrackTiger

Quote from: KingDrool on 09/12/2017, 01:17 PMI'd actually be quite surprised if they put new games on it or change it in any way. I still know plenty of people who didn't get the first one and still want it. If they change it up, it'll sorta defeat the purpose of rereleasing it, right?
Maybe they'll start giving out free Virtual Console codes to everyone who sends them a photo holding their NES/SNES/etc carts.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Groover

Glad Nintendo like money. I can't say for sure if they like their fans. Anyone upset that their limited rare NES classic is less rare forget them. I hope them make more than 10.
IMG

jperryss

Quote from: crazydean on 09/12/2017, 10:26 AM
It's not going to do anything until the units are actually available. Also, there's going to be a way to distinguish between the first model and the new one. I'm sure people won't care about that though, people don't care able variants.
I hope they make 25 million, indistinguishable from the first run, and price them at $24.99 just to bury the scalpers.

But this is Nintendo, so it'll be released in limited supplies during the 2018 holiday season while they keep trying to figure out how to sell an N64 Classic.

crazydean

I don't see them making a N64 classic. The N64 is too complicated for them to make it for under $100. Also, I don't think the emulation is good enough.

jlued686

I want to see a Game Boy Classic...with a color screen.

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 09/13/2017, 03:29 PM
Quote from: KingDrool on 09/13/2017, 01:19 PMI want to see a Game Boy Classic...with a color screen.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=gb+boy
haha i was waiting for these to be linked somewhere in this thread.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

PukeSter

Quote from: crazydean on 09/13/2017, 04:24 AMI don't see them making a N64 classic. The N64 is too complicated for them to make it for under $100. Also, I don't think the emulation is good enough.
They did it almost 15 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQue_Player

Tw3ek

Quote from: PukeSter on 09/13/2017, 04:24 PM
Quote from: crazydean on 09/13/2017, 04:24 AMI don't see them making a N64 classic. The N64 is too complicated for them to make it for under $100. Also, I don't think the emulation is good enough.
They did it almost 15 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQue_Player
And it was AWESOME!  :D

seieienbu

I will be surprised if Nintendo doesn't both raise the price on the the thing and also get rid of a bunch of the third party games.

I expect the new run to accidentally give scalpers a reason to jack up the prices on the originals even more.  After all, who wants to play a NES Classic that has NES Play Action Football instead of Tecmo Bowl?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Winniez

This is interesting news, would be interesting to see the behind the scenes developments.
I'm too mostly concerned about the third party titles, besides the licensing it can't be more than $10-$15 dollars to put these things together. Knowing Nintendo they have propably made some careful calculations considering virtual console potential lost sales and the like, getting new people back in the loop with Nintendo etc.

LostFlunky

Picked up a SNES Classic this morning at Walmart.  Went to a small town nearby rather than a city store. There were 6 people in line 10 minutes before the store opened.

Only problem was that I had to go to Walmart.

Digi.k

mine arrived just now. 

I missed the early pre orders but got a heads up on another shipment and managed to place an order before it all sold out again..

surprised at the size of the box :P

MySNESMini.jpg

turboswimbz

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 09/29/2017, 08:07 AMPicked up a SNES Classic this morning at Walmart.  Went to a small town nearby rather than a city store. There were 6 people in line 10 minutes before the store opened.

Only problem was that I had to go to Walmart. 
I live in a pretty heavily populated area.  and I was able to get one at target with no wait at 8:15.  they had about 15 left at that point.  I did have to deal with (3) people getting 2 and 3 with the intent to gouge em.  but idk how well this will work.  THe Best buy still had stock at that time and the Toys' r US had 60 although when I checked 5 minutes before opening they were sold out already. (tickets)  I ended up grabbing 2 easily.  with no wait, all said and done.  The good news I got also:  target and Toys expected another shipment of about the same amount sometime before turkey day.  but they were unsure if these were going to be held on to until black Friday.
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

xcrement5x

I will probably get one of these if I can just walk into a story at some point, but I'm not going to wait in line. 

The US SNES always looked gross compared to the EU/JP version though in my opinion.

DragonmasterDan

I passed a Toys R us on my way to work and about two hours before they opened there was 40ish people lined up. Ugh
--DragonmasterDan

Bloufo

There were some available (not sure about right now) from PlayAsia. A friend of mine ordered one (the US version) a few hours ago, and it's already showing as "shipped" with UPS tracking, in his order details.
I was thinking about it, but getting the EU version is enough for me.

sirhcman

Anyone want to sell a US one? I am willing to pay more than MSRP

Digi.k

sirhcman

LeAnn Versace is a cunt.

johnnykonami

I went out to TRU near me and stood in line with 40ish people, they handed out tickets and had 44 of them to sell.  It wasn't too painless, though I have to stay a little later at work today to make up for the excursion.  Half of the people around me were scalpers (I'm opening and playing mine later, no worries!), one of em' even said "I don't even want this; I guarantee in 2 hours after leaving here I will sell it for triple the price."  His wife or something called him over to the line (they were just wandering around the dead mall where this TRU is) and said "Hey, there's a new thing today, they only have 44 of them!" (that's how I know how many there were, she kept telling everyone) and so he queued up.  Many people in line were exclaiming similar to "It's already going for $240 on target's website!". so you know they were just there to ruin everyone's fun to make a pretty small payday (it was 1 per person at TRU).

Quite a few of the guys in line looked the type to just play the thing, though, so there's that.  Kudos to TRU for handling the whole thing like pros, shame they're going out of business.

sirhcman

Quote from: johnnykonami on 09/29/2017, 01:30 PMKudos to TRU for handling the whole thing like pros, shame they're going out of business.
They are filling bankruptcy in order to restructure.  They aren't going out of business

Digi.k

sirhcman

johnnykonami

Quote from: guest on 09/29/2017, 01:34 PM
Quote from: johnnykonami on 09/29/2017, 01:30 PMKudos to TRU for handling the whole thing like pros, shame they're going out of business.
They are filling bankruptcy in order to restructure.  They aren't going out of business
Oh, my bad then.  Hope they hang around for years to come.

And I also hope they do make more than enough for everyone to get one at MSRP.  I will probably grab a NES Classic when they go back into production too, although I have the real thing.  Honestly getting the SNES Classic was mostly about Starfox 2 for me, if they had some other exclusive for the NES it would have been more tempting.

SignOfZeta

http://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/spend-80-snes-classic-can-install-emulators-raspberry-pi-never-shut-fuck/

Seth Macy September 29, 2017  Hard Drive
Why Spend $80 on an SNES Classic When You Can Install Emulators on a Raspberry Pi and Never Shut the Fuck Up About It?

"Speaking of which, some have said that the SNES Classic's two controllers are an advantage, as if you can't get USB controllers that look exactly the same as SNES controllers. Plus they're only like $10 so when they break after a week they're super easy to replace."

Man, there are home runs and then there are grand slams, this is a grand slam.*

* I think I mean grand slam. I don't know sports. I meant a really good thing in a game, the best thing.
IMG

NecroPhile

Heh, good lulz; xele posted it in chat too.  I like this one: "You don't even technically need a controller, you can easily set it up to run on a just keyboard and a good batch of superiority. "

SignOfZeta

Man, if only I could, if only I could...
IMG

seieienbu

lol at the article.   :lol:

A friend of mine picked up 8 of these.  Friend or otherwise, I kinda hope he loses his shirt on those purchases.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

LostFlunky

I am a reasonably competent tech guy, and I got fed up with having to reconfigure the controllers and tinker with settings every reboot before I was even done setting up the friggin Pi.  It is cool, but is for hobbyists - not users...

Quote from: Seth MacyAfter it arrives, get a MicroSD card and load NOOBS on it. You can also buy a MicroSD card with NOOBS pre-installed, if you want to miss the fucking point entirely.

jperryss

Quote from: guest on 09/29/2017, 01:17 PMLeAnn Versace is a cunt.
Flipping on launch day for 400% markup = You're a cunt
Flipping on launch day for 400% markup and showing everyone that you bought six when you could easily just show a picture of one = "Look at me, I'm a cunt!"

Seriously, why show more than one other than to be an attention whore? If people know you have a bunch they're more likely to throw lower offers at you.

sirhcman

Quote from: jperryss on 09/29/2017, 04:52 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/29/2017, 01:17 PMLeAnn Versace is a cunt.
Flipping on launch day for 400% markup = You're a cunt
Flipping on launch day for 400% markup and showing everyone that you bought six when you could easily just show a picture of one = "Look at me, I'm a cunt!"

Seriously, why show more than one other than to be an attention whore? If people know you have a bunch they're more likely to throw lower offers at you.
Yeah you are right, let me rephrase my original response.. LeAnn Versace is a DUMB cunt! :D

HailingTheThings

Went to a Meijer last night with a friend to buy some Sobe and look at the toy aisle. While walking past the checkout lanes we noticed a line of people. We were like "WTF?" Heard someone say something about waiting for the SNES Classic. I began laughing out loud. Then very loudly said "Why the fuck would anyone want a hunk of fucking shit? Oh wait, Nintendo, right? Ahh hahashahahahaha." People started staring at me. lol
IMG

turboswimbz

So after fooling around with the SNES Classic for quite a bit.  I've come to a few conclusions.  Most of which I believed before getting it.

NOT SO GOOD STUFF:  there is nothing about it that makes me feel it is better than any other form of emulation.  getting a 3d printed mini NES or SNES case for a retro pie would be very similar the same IMO. The picture even with all the settings is not great if you're a videophile. the sound is not fantastical either. Not that either is bad, it's just once again not better than what's out there already and there are other options. 
      TLDR: there is nothing here for me to say that unless you are already interested, to justify you paying the price for this, there are other viable options out there.

THE GOOD STUFF: It is still cool.  For a Nintendo Fan, they are a neat little nostalgia box, and it is licensed Nintendo, for whatever the legal aspects mean to you.  The interface is nice as well.  The controller is very similar to the original, which is slightly better than some of the other controllers I've tried so if you're a perfectionist these feel good. Plug and Play out of the box is great for audiences who don't care to mess with the PI or other emulation.
    TLDR:  It is plug and play, games are fun, emulation is fine, controllers and interface are nice, and hey if you like Nintendo it's worth a pickup.

SignOfZeta

If you can't tell the different between a 3D printed case and something injection molded then how can I trust your opinion on anything?

TLDR: I don't know what TLDR stands for.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 09/29/2017, 07:05 PMWent to a Meijer last night with a friend to buy some Sobe and look at the toy aisle. While walking past the checkout lanes we noticed a line of people. We were like "WTF?" Heard someone say something about waiting for the SNES Classic. I began laughing out loud. Then very loudly said "Why the fuck would anyone want a hunk of fucking shit? Oh wait, Nintendo, right? Ahh hahashahahahaha." People started staring at me. lol
I know, it's weird. Every time I act like a total fucking asshole in public I get nasty looks too. Fucking DICKS.
IMG