@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

A new challenger has entered the fight ?

Started by cireza, 12/24/2016, 03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cireza

Hi everyone.

Hope you like reading ! :dance:

In real life, my name is Fabien, I am from France and I am 31 years old. Married, two children  :wink:

I have been wandering on the internet for many years, wondering if the PC-Engine was a console that I should buy. I still haven't found the answer yet, but maybe you can help me :)
I actually have the same question about the Neo-Geo, and still don't know what to do either  :lol:

I heard good things about this place in a youtube video. This one here :
So I thought I would drop by, just to see how it is.

It has been 25 years since I started playing video-games. Started with a NES, then made the switch to Sega. I have also been working on a French website dedicated to Sega for maybe 10 years. Nowadays, I only give them a hand for a few reviews. It was too time consuming for me.

Of course I still play a lot, and I usually possess every recent consoles at one moment of my life, at least to try them a bit. Of course, there are some that I keep. Currently, I play on Vita/WiiU/XboxOne.

On the oldies side, I still have my NES, a MD, Sega-CD, 32X, Game Gear, Saturn, Dreamcast, PSOne, SNES etc... The list is pretty long, and I love playing old games. I particularly love the old pixel-art graphics that we had, for 240 lines resolutions, and always play on my precious CRT :)

I keep praying that it doesn't break  [-o<

I only play in the my best conditions possible. I have high exigence for the picture quality of my consoles. For me, it means a RGB/Scart output, on my CRT, only the real thing. I don't like emulators at all, but I admit they are useful to try things out.

For example, I find the output of the standard SNES a bit blurry. However, anything Sega is pretty much flawless : Master System, MegaDrive, Saturn or Dreamcast. Living in France, I had the luck to have true RGB cables with all my Sega consoles (because they were sold with it in fact. Nintendo or Sony never did this). Sadly, our games were 50Hz, which is a total mess and depending on the game, everything is slow, are only the gameplay etc... Awful situation for us.

I do have various Everdrive cartridges for convenience, but I also have a lot of real games. I am not a collector, but a player. I will only keep games that I like and know I will play often. That's still something like 60 games on Saturn for example  :lol:

Well, I guess that's it. I will take a look at the forum and see you around !  8)

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Otaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

wildfruit

Bloufo

Quote from: cireza on 12/24/2016, 03:09 PMI am not a collector, but a player. I will only keep games that I like and know I will play often.
Right off the bat I can tell you'll fit in perfectly here. IMG

Welcome, and Merry Xmas!

cireza

Thank you everyone, and Merry Christmas !

Is this topic the right place to ask any kind of questions I might have ?
Because I don't know much about the PC-Engine, and I am not sure if I want one. Sorry about this :)

I know a few games about the console, I am aware of the various versions (PCE, CD-Rom, Super CD, Arcade CD). And also the 16 bits one that only had a few games.

Games that I know of, and sometimes played, are the following ones :
Rondo of Blood (that's Super Cd if I am right)
Mega Bomberman on MegaDrive : this is a poor version of Bomberman 94, no ? Because the PCE version looks pretty great.
And I also saw a great video of Ghouls'n Ghosts : the port looks pretty great.
Also, Dragon's Trap on Master System/GG : there is a better version on PCE I believe ?

Outside of those games, I don't know much. There is a Zelda clone that I would eventually try, if you tell me that's good. I know that there are some fighting games ports (Street Fighter, Fatal Fury), but I think I can live without those.

So if you happen to have good suggestions on what I should look into, I will be happy to read them.

Also, if I ever happen to buy something using this forum, I will offer some trading. I have some pretty rare stuff, but not PCE related.

So I don't know if it get some attention, but at least it is better than simply asking "hey sell me your stuff". And I'd rather trade if possible, because this will allow me spreading a few words on things I love to :)

Also : are games in english ? I suppose that japanese games are in japanese. Should I be careful about games that cannot be played at all because they are in japanese ?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

wildfruit

You can't go wrong with bomberman 94. It's excellent. Great colours, great music. The Ys games are a must have. If you want to stay legit buy the Japanese Ys discs for cheap and burn the English versions to play with. There is a thread somewhere here about Japanese games that are totally playable without reading somewhere.

cireza

So I should look for a console + CD-Rom solution I guess. Or maybe, I can begin with only a console with cards, and later add a CD-Rom add-on ? Is this a bad solution, or too expensive solution ?

Can I get RGB out of any configuration ?

wildfruit

I think it's better to get a duo system overall, but there's nothing wrong with just trying out the cards. There are lots of great card games. Gunhed is my favourite HuCard right now. The system will need to be modified for RGB out. It should also be refurbished with new capacitors.
I have actually bought a separates (briefcase) system from France before. I thought pce was quite popular there.

crazydean

I recommend getting a Duo which has already been recapped and RGB modded. mickcris on here might have one of you ask nicely.

Remember, the duo had the system 3.0 card built in which is something you will need to buy if you get a cd add on.

cireza

Quote from: crazydean on 12/25/2016, 10:10 PMI recommend getting a Duo which has already been recapped and RGB modded. mickcris on here might have one of you ask nicely.

Remember, the duo had the system 3.0 card built in which is something you will need to buy if you get a cd add on.
So this can play Rondo of Blood ? Or do I need another card ?

Thank you for the answers  :)

wildfruit

No you won't need another card. Rondo is a super CD game and a duo has the super system card 3.0 built in. The only games you can't play will be the arcade CDs which are only a handful.

NightWolve

Welcome, and vive la France! ;)

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Sarumaru

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your stay here :D  What kind of games are you into? I'd def recommend getting some form of CD solution for games. Some of my favorite cd games are Shubibinman 3, Star Parodier, Galaxy Deka Guyvan and many, many more. All which don't really require Japanese to get into and play. :)

esteban

Quote from: cireza on 12/25/2016, 03:55 AMThank you everyone, and Merry Christmas !

Is this topic the right place to ask any kind of questions I might have ?
Because I don't know much about the PC-Engine, and I am not sure if I want one. Sorry about this :)

I know a few games about the console, I am aware of the various versions (PCE, CD-Rom, Super CD, Arcade CD). And also the 16 bits one that only had a few games.

Games that I know of, and sometimes played, are the following ones :
Rondo of Blood (that's Super Cd if I am right)
Mega Bomberman on MegaDrive : this is a poor version of Bomberman 94, no ? Because the PCE version looks pretty great.
And I also saw a great video of Ghouls'n Ghosts : the port looks pretty great.
Also, Dragon's Trap on Master System/GG : there is a better version on PCE I believe ?

Outside of those games, I don't know much. There is a Zelda clone that I would eventually try, if you tell me that's good.

Also : are games in english ? I suppose that japanese games are in japanese. Should I be careful about games that cannot be played at all because they are in japanese ?

Thanks for your answers in advance.
Comrade, I wish you A Very TurboXMAS. :)

Quickly answering...

Yes Drac X.

Yes Bomberman '94.

Dragon' Curse on TG-16/PCE = excellent. I love the SMS version, of course. But it is *still* worth playing the PCE version (very nice, subtle upgrade, IMHO). 

Use an emulator to play the SuperGrafx port of Ghouls'n'Ghosts. I would not recommend getting a SuperGrafx as your main console (getting CD-ROM + SuperGrafx is ugly, unwieldy and unnecessary).

YOU MUST PLAY NEUTOPIA I and II (fun Zelda clones). Do *not* get gouged on Neutopia 2 (price on NA release might be ridiculous now). There are other ways to play Neutopia 2.

ENGLISH: There is a thread someone might link to...it lists the games that don't *really* need to be in English.

Bloufo

Quote from: esteban on 12/28/2016, 10:34 AMI would not recommend getting a SuperGrafx as your main console (getting CD-ROM + SuperGrafx is ugly, unwieldy and unnecessary).
QuoteI kinda like my SuperGrafx. :(

esteban

Quote from: Bloufo on 12/28/2016, 12:50 PM
Quote from: esteban on 12/28/2016, 10:34 AMI would not recommend getting a SuperGrafx as your main console (getting CD-ROM + SuperGrafx is ugly, unwieldy and unnecessary).
QuoteI kinda like my SuperGrafx. :(
That's why I love you. :)

I didn't want the new person to be scared off, though, upon learning about RAU-30 adapters and stuff

:)

Bloufo

^^
 Right back at ya.  :)

I'd draw the line here, though.  :P

IMG

esteban

Quote from: Bloufo on 12/28/2016, 01:09 PM^^
 Right back at ya.  :)

I'd draw the line here, though.  :P

IMG
This is one of covell's greatest accomplishments, IMHO.

:)

Bardoly

Welcome to Pcenginefx!  Yes, get a PC Engine Duo.

Warbucks

cireza

Thank you for the great welcome, and advice, and sorry for this late answer.

I am still looking around at PC-Engine stuff on the internet, but still not decided yet.

See you around !

cireza

Hi again,

Upping my own topic for a short update !

This has been a year already :shock:

As you guessed, I was not able to get decided about getting a PC-Engine, but I have to admit that the idea has made some progress in my mind.

During the previous year, I decided to buy a Neo-Geo CDZ (in my first post, I was saying that I was not decided between investing in a PCE or a Neo-Geo).

I love my CDZ, I have a sweet spot for 16 bits consoles with CD-ROM games I have to admit (Sega-CD...). I only play real games on it by the way...

I will probably be looking at PC-Engine games again on youtube, trying games on emulators, and maybe decide to get the console ! You advised me to get a recapped and RGB modded Duo, so I am keeping this in mind and might ask around in the coming months :)

There is also a thing called Super SD System 3 or something like that, but I am not certain of the quality of the thing, and it is very expensive. I found what look like negative feedback on a forum recently, so I won't be investing in something like that.

See you later :dance:

Sarumaru

You could just get a Duo-R. You rarely need to recap those and you can likely just get straight to some PCE gaming.