Oh, Deer! Beta

Started by exodus, 02/03/2017, 06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exodus

Just in case y'all are interested in looking - we released the Beta of our driving game Oh, Deer! on Humble Monthly today. It's impossible to port to the PCE, but it'd be cool if we could!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO3gB-4Ovi8

How do I make videos show up properly on this board, anyway?

NecroPhile

Get rid of the https:// and it should embed automatically.

Looks interesting.  Who knew you could drift a Vista Cruiser so easily?  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

exodus

Oh hey, so it does!!!
I think we'll be able to give out vouchers eventually as well, just don't have any yet!

SignOfZeta

FUCK YESSSSSSSSSS!!!
IMG

Michirin9801

This looks amazing!! Is it proper pseudo-3D or is it real 3D made to look like pseudo-3D? Either way, I love how it looks! So many sprites! So much drifting!

blueraven

haha.

Vista Cruiser  :lol:

ToyMachine78

Look kids... Big Ben, Parliment... DEER!!!!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 02/03/2017, 08:06 PMThis looks amazing!! Is it proper pseudo-3D or is it real 3D made to look like pseudo-3D? Either way, I love how it looks! So many sprites! So much drifting!
IIRC there is a very detailed explaination of this somewhere and while I don't fully understand the technical side of things, this looks legit to me. Basically Outrun at 8x resolution or whatever.

The thing that makes it fun over and over though is that it gets really twisty and fast later on but the control of the car is a bit better than Outrun so you can actually keep up.

This is my impression of the Vita version, I haven't played this one. It looks identical.
IMG

TheClash603

Game looks fantastic!

Michirin9801

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/04/2017, 01:35 AMIIRC there is a very detailed explaination of this somewhere and while I don't fully understand the technical side of things, this looks legit to me. Basically Outrun at 8x resolution or whatever.
If that's the case then it's most likely proper pseudo-3D, which is very good!
Pseudo-3D racers are my favourite kind of racing games, too bad they've been dead since the 5th generation pretty much, the last few ones we got were on the GBA, and unfortunately, a lot of GBA racing games don't have music during gameplay which sucks, but oh well, it's a handheld, I can listen to some Eurobeat on an MP3 player while I play so that's nice!
Anyway, it's nice to see someone make a modern pseudo-3D racer, that should make it stand out!

exodus

It's proper pseudo-3D, just scaling billboards and road tiles! Here's something I wrote about the stupid stuff that went into designing tracks in actual pseudo 3D: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BrandonSheffield/20150709/248217/Asset_placement_in_a_pseudo_3D_world__tricks_of_the_trade.php

And SoZ, there are some new things in the game, though control-wise it should be basically identical. We added (offline) leaderboards to keep track of scores, and also a survival mode. In survival, we broke up the existing tracks into chunks, then rearranged them - I also added about a dozen new chunks to each mile. I couldn't do much more than that because we only got the scripting tool working for me again in the last week of development.

If all goes well, we'll be able to release a "final" version of this on consoles in the future, with upgrades and more tracks, ghost battles, and lots of features and things, but... we need the money first ;_;

SignOfZeta

Sounds good!

Btw, this game looks so much better in real life than it does in a video. Crisp as FUCK.
IMG

exodus

yeah, I wish I had better video capture ability! and that youtube could reflect what I capture! blarf

ginoscope

This looks amazing I will have to check this out.  The whole concept is just brilliant with the cruiser mowing down the deers lol.  Awesome job I always loved these type of racers with the outrun scaling.

Gredler

Love this, and love the chromatic aberration - great job!

exodus

thanks!! I have to say the shaders were a little better in the last rev, but we'll get them to be good again!