@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Hi everyone!

Started by Bugo3s, 09/19/2017, 12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bugo3s

Just posting to say hello and thank You for letting me join this forum!
I am a Sega/SNK fanboy who never ever once thought about giving the PCE a chance. Wait! Before you kick me out let me explain myself!!
When i was a kid, PCE was not very famous in my country (actually nothing is, except Soccer..) and I ended up taking SEGA's side during all of the 90s'.
I then started collecting Neogeo and kept on ignoring the PCE (at that point i knew what it was but never went deeper than basic knowledge) for reasons that are really really stupid (like thinking that the library was lacking in quality).
Last week a friend of mine bought a Turbo Duo R with all the Valis games , Dracula X and Bonk's Adventure.
We played from dawn to dusk just like when we were teens, I had a lot of fun.
Then on the way home i began asking myself why I've never thought about picking a PCE up.

And well, here I am!
I bought a Turbo Duo R and all the Valis games  on Ebay, probably paid a bit too much but I really had a hard time even finding the damn things !
I still want a few more games (Dracula X, Valkyrie No Densetsu, Fushigi no Alice, Anesan and Faussete Amour) but I really would like to hear your reccomendations!
Please be kind and try to show me the way, I m really excited, I love this old forgotten feeling of pure discovery!

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Bugo3s

Thanks! I am a bit scared to post elsewhere on the forum...I have many questions, but I am afraid of going against netiquette or clogging the forum with useless new topics.
I wanted to have advice on how to spot "repro" games, I am growing scared of having bought repro Valis games..

NecroPhile

I wouldn't worry much about Valis, seeing as they're relatively cheap titles.  There's not much point of making a boot if you can't sell it for big monies.

Most PCE/TG16 repros are easy to spot.  Most disc repros are obvious fakes, as they're either CDRs with inkjet printed labels or they're from PCE Works (Tobias) with completely different artwork or his logo on the disc and back page of the manual; the only one that's somewhat tougher to spot is Sapphire (also from Tobias), but it's not hard too spot as a fake if you know what to look for.  Most huey repros are obvious fakes too, as they use a single thick pcb and a sticker instead of the originals' small pcb, plastic shell, and direct printed label; the hardest ones to spot are chinese hueys from back in the day, but even those are oddly shaped or at least use artwork without the company logos.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: Bugo3s on 09/19/2017, 01:24 PMThanks! I am a bit scared to post elsewhere on the forum...I have many questions, but I am afraid of going against netiquette or clogging the forum with useless new topics.
I wanted to have advice on how to spot "repro" games, I am growing scared of having bought repro Valis games..
Welcome, comrade!

I am glad you are here. Ask any and all questions!

There are many, many PCE games that are awesome and inexpensive. Don't neglect them. They need your love and attention.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

majors

Quote from: Bugo3s on 09/19/2017, 01:24 PM...I am a bit scared to post elsewhere on the forum...I have many questions, but I am afraid of going against netiquette or clogging the forum with useless new topics.
I like this guy! Facebook is good for stupid questions...just hope Tim/Cyrill do not troll too bad.

Nothing wrong with a flashcard to experience some titles...you've got some catching up to do! There are enough lists of top 10 games out there but if you have specific genres you're looking for, some of use can steer you in the right direction.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Bugo3s

I m open for suggestions! I already bought the Valis and search for the games I listed in my post (and my market thread).
Other than that please lend me a hand!

turboswimbz

Welcome.  PLease ask, despite or reputation on those "other" forums, we quite like sharing our knowledge and love of the PC engine.

Games are getting expensive, so I always suggest going the flash cart route if doesn't bother you, You listed some great platformers, but you are going to want to pick up some or try some of the wonderful Shoot-em-ups the system has to offer:

Some of my favorites are:
Raiden
FInal Solider
Gunhed
Spriggian
DOwnload
Image Fight
Dragon Spirit

There are also a few other games like: Son Son, NEctarsis and bomberman which are a ton of fun.

Also: this may be Helpful

There are a ton of great selections presented by some of the members here

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=13235.msg261951#msg261951
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Galder

Welcome to the forum and the world of PCE!

Winniez

Welcome. I'm fairly new here too and I was in a similar spot, I grew up with Nintendo and DOS PC and didn't have any childhood contact with the PC Engine. Propably tried it first time 10-15years ago via emulation and really liked the games, really felt like NES on steroids which I loved.

When I was finally ready to get the system and had a budget ready for it I considered 2 options, collecting and playing or just playing. With just playing route I considered RGB modded Duo RX and Everdrive, ability to play all the hucards and burnt CDs in high quality with the actual hardware. It seemed tempting but on the other hand PC-Engine emulation is very accurate and I like the actual complete physical games and although not a popular notion here they hold their value well too.

So I went with a different route, I found a good deal on white original PC-Engine with bunch of complete games. Bought it, made a makeshift AV-cable and spent all the extra money on games instead of hardware. Looking back I'm really happy I went with this option, for the same money what the Duo RX and Everdrive would have costed I have managed to build a large library of complete Hucard games. And I have had an absolute blast with it. The downside is not being able to play CD games and that sucks. But the emulation is there and someday I'll find a good briefcase unit. Collecting wise I have limited myself only to Hucards, now and in the future. And I love the soundchip so the CD-audio goes against that too.

turboswimbz

Yeah Win, that's also a great option.  I agree a small PC engine can get you into the world and collecting physical copies easily and on a budget.  I agree with everything you've said with a small departure below.    welcome also. 

As a side rant / explanation:

As far as holding value..for now yes, probably increasing for the short future.   And I don't think collecting physical copies is a notion people are against.  Most people on this forum myself including have lots of games with cases and manuals.  Hell I even have a sealed game.  I mean collecting wouldn't be a thing if we didn't all feel the need.  In fact it is the reason we are here!  But what's important is a good, supportive community to keep the hobby fun for everyone who is involved.  What's frowned upon here is the following behaviors:

1) Collecting without playing for "Investing" purposes only.  Not only is this inaccurate view for long term investing, it indicates that the person has no passion for our hobby, and as such won't add any value to the community at all.  Note this does not mean that people who collect sealed games or follow values fall into this category, but many who follow this sort of thinking over the years have added nothing to this place and often taken advantage of members.

2) Looking to buy rare games or lots of games for prestige among the community or to flip and take advantage of the community.  We are all looking to collect, people going around and waving it about to prove they are better is not creating a good community either.

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Bardoly

Welcome to Pcenginefx!  Enjoy the discovery!

Warbucks

Bugo3s

Thanks! Been playing my PCE a lot lately! I'm having trouble with Valis 3..that damn water palace stage:(

turboswimbz

Valis 3 is great though.  each stage has it's quirks to get through. 

PROTIP:
don't forget about the slide, you can slide across many gaps and under things in the game.  you also are invincible for a short bit right in the center of it. 

PROPROTIP:
Ice magic is very powerful in certain spots.