@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Xeno Crisis - New overhead run 'n' gun on Kickstarter for Genesis/Mega Drive

Started by xcrement5x, 12/15/2017, 12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcrement5x

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1676714319/xeno-crisis-a-new-game-for-the-sega-genesis-mega-d/description

IMG

QuoteXeno Crisis is a new, original title for the Sega Mega Drive / Genesis which will be released both as a physical cartridge and also as a downloadable ROM. At its core, it's an arena shooter that takes inspiration from the likes of Smash TV, Contra, Mercs, Granada, Alien Syndrome, Zombies Ate My Neighbours, Chaos Engine, and Shock Troopers.

We want the game to look, feel and sound like the classic Mega Drive games of the '80s and '90s, but also add some new elements that weren't so common in games of that era, particularly procedural map generation and randomisation of gameplay elements. Achieving that classic look and feel is vitally important to us, which is why we've teamed up with legendary pixel artist Henk Nieborg, who previously worked on the Mega Drive title "The Misadventures Of Flink", developed by Psygnosis.

We're also working with "Savaged Regime"; a highly renowned chip-tune artist that knows how to push the Mega Drive's YM2612 chip to the limit - you can hear a sample of the Xeno Crisis soundtrack in the Kickstarter video above.

The game is currently at the prototype stage and we will be releasing the finished product in October 2018 to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the Mega Drive's launch in Japan. We're launching this Kickstarter campaign to fund the remainder of the title's development.
Personally I think this looks really cool.  Thankfully they've already been fully funded in less than a week and have reached the first stretch goal for co-op play.

NecroPhile

Like I said in chat, this looks very nice, especially now with co-op.  Too bad it's not on Turbob.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gredler

I wonder how the game controls, 6 button only or like the genesis version of smash tv?

The art looks fantastic, wow!

xcrement5x

Quote from: Gredler on 12/15/2017, 01:24 PMI wonder how the game controls, 6 button only or like the genesis version of smash tv?

The art looks fantastic, wow!
The dev is posting on Sega16 semi-regularly and I think they want to make it 3 buttons accessible, but with optional controls for the 6 button as well.

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Medic_wheat

Very smash tv and that I like.

I went ahead and backed it but just to get a physical copy of the game. Genesis doesn't get enough support everyone wants to do Nintendo because I presume a bigger fan base. That or more name brand recognition.

Either way looking forowrd to it. Just how they increase the enosmy variation as the demo video seemed to only show 3-4 whimsies. And that could get boring quickly.

TR0N

Looks neat i don't have a problem with a game that's a take on smash tv and robotron 2084.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

crazydean

Hmm..I wonder how they plan to make the three button controller work. Smash TV was great in the arcade and on the SNES pad because it was made for it. Smash TV on the Genesis...not so much. You really need that star pattern to shoot and move in different directions.

CrackTiger

Quote from: crazydean on 12/16/2017, 11:19 AMHmm..I wonder how they plan to make the three button controller work. Smash TV was great in the arcade and on the SNES pad because it was made for it. Smash TV on the Genesis...not so much. You really need that star pattern to shoot and move in different directions.
It's explained on the kickstarter page. I'm not enough of a fan of this type of game to remember the specifics, but it was basically a combo of the best methods that console games used bitd, which I think is more or less the same as Shock Troopers(/2?).
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

nopepper

The lock on control scheme works great for games like Shock Troopers, where it's more of a run and gun, with some breathing room between you and enemies and a scrolling playfield. This game is an arena shooter, which has you confined to 4 walls at all times, with waves of enemies coming at you from all sides. I'm not sure that control scheme will work efficiently in this case, and not even the 6 button pad would feel natural to replicate the twinstick feel.

Having said that, the game looks good, with great art design, animation and thumping music. I will back it anyway, but it just seems like an odd choice of a genre in a system that is not built for this. I would have preferred this talented group tackle another type of game for the Genesis.

CrackTiger

I remember that it says something about having a button or two to change the angle so many degrees in either direction while still locked, but again, the actual control scheme at this point is detailed in the kickstarter.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

nopepper

Quote from: guest on 12/16/2017, 01:30 PMI remember that it says something about having a button or two to change the angle so many degrees in either direction while still locked, but again, the actual control scheme at this point is detailed in the kickstarter.
Yeah, that is the same principle as Skeleton Krew, which takes some getting used to, and is not very precise, especially for a Robotron type shooter.

Maybe it will work; we will need to play it to see how it feels.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: nopepper on 12/16/2017, 02:22 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/16/2017, 01:30 PMI remember that it says something about having a button or two to change the angle so many degrees in either direction while still locked, but again, the actual control scheme at this point is detailed in the kickstarter.
Yeah, that is the same principle as Skeleton Krew, which takes some getting used to, and is not very precise, especially for a Robotron type shooter.

Maybe it will work; we will need to play it to see how it feels.
I didn't read about all that on the kick starter page. I just assumed it was going to be able to use two co replies for direction and movement.

crazydean

So, from the FAQ, it seems that the B button locks and fires when held. The A and C buttons rotate the firing by 45 degrees when the B button is held.