@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Hey thanks

Started by VmprHntrD, 12/29/2017, 07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VmprHntrD

I read it can take time to get access but it went quick which is a nice surprise.  Thanks.

I used to have an online presence heavily back in the back half of the 90s and then some only to recently resurface.  Long ago I had a Duo along with a nice library of goodies between formats and decided recently I'd like to get back into things, but at a smaller scale to start with a Core Grafx.

I heard this was a nice resource of information and I've forgotten a lot, and my old favorite places like tzd.com and others appear long dead.

esteban

Welcome, comrade.

First, I fully support the CoreGrafx approach (since you'll have fun with tons of HuCARDs)...but folks are going to argue that you *simply must* be able to play CD library immediately. Ignore these folks. If you are like me, you'll have fun exploring and savoring a greater number of HuCARDs for a longer time...something that doesn't always happen when you are overwhelmed with the "full" library all-at-once. Not everyone is like me, but I like limiting things.

Also, I think getting a TED (Everdrive) is good advice (folks will suggest this in 3...2...1... you should do that, even if you still buy HuCARDs. I love using artifacts, when I can afford them, but TED fills in the gaps and allows you to play translations/homebrew.

FINALLY: Yes, we are a valuable resource, especially if you are experiencing an existential crisis.

If you are questioning your purpose in this universe, remember this:

R-TYPE IS NOT A GAME.
IT IS A LIFESTYLE.
YOU ARE WELCOME.

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

VmprHntrD

Thanks for the fast reply.  I get the CD argument and I'd be there with it, if I were to snap up a TG16 instead but the PCE side has triple the titles and a lot more fun stuff to dig into.

As I said I once had a vast collection that's mostly gone.  Lost my Duo in 2005, tried to get another about a few months too late in 2011 when everything went into orbit price wise out of nowhere.

The Everdrive is something I'm strongly looking at, but also the Terraonion device since it can handle discs too.

Back in the day I had a solid mix of US and many JP games, some people go bonkers over still like Dracula X, Macross, shooters like Rayxanber 2 and 3, Panic Bomber, Godzilla, Cotton and more.  I'm on a humble budget so going in on that simulator of discs would be most practical since it ticks off HuCards too.

Up front though I'd like to just get the system, maybe a few loose HuCards with it, and perhaps an everdrive just to pop a toe in the water first and see how it is again after so long.

I have that problem you do too about there just being too much at once and getting all ADHD about it and enjoying nothing.  I'd almost think that going with the big toy (Super System CD 3 device) and a small sized card would be best as there'd be little room to blow out a lot on there forcing usage of a limited amount of things.

I have everdrives for the SNES and Gameboy, also that RetroHQ kit for the NGPC too.  Believe me I know the value of translations but also slick homebrew (like the recent GBC only SimCity clone uCity.)

And yes R-Type is insane.  Damn that game is hard, but the one version I found least annoying about it was the TG16 card of the game.  I've tried it on Sega, Gameboy Color, etc and they lack.

turboswimbz

Quote from: VmprHntrD on 12/29/2017, 07:34 PMI read it can take time to get access but it went quick which is a nice surprise.  Thanks.

I used to have an online presence heavily back in the back half of the 90s and then some only to recently resurface.  Long ago I had a Duo along with a nice library of goodies between formats and decided recently I'd like to get back into things, but at a smaller scale to start with a Core Grafx.

I heard this was a nice resource of information and I've forgotten a lot, and my old favorite places like tzd.com and others appear long dead.
WELCOME. please enjoy. 

The guys in charge of this now check daily!  It's generally pretty fast now.

A core with the SD emulators is not a bad idea, most if all of the games for a fraction of the price.  If you are looking to play games, you can't wrong with that. 

Yep, the 90's early 2K stuff is mostly gone, but there is a bunch of stuff here.

I'd check this thread if you want to find something in particular: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9483.150
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

VmprHntrD

Thanks for the heads up.

I popped that cherry finally the other night from a nice deal from Japan.  I had this $100 gift card so it was just $50 shipped.  Got a CG2 in excellent shape with no parts or accessories missing, also came with 3 HuCards too in little plastic slips (Galaga, Doraemon puzzler/action, and Space Invaders.)

The emulator?  You speak of everdrive or terraonion device as physical emulation, or actual computer emulators?  I actually own a copy of Magic Engine still I got back when it first released 20 years ago~.  Problem is that one won't run an ISO/CUE file as it likes to be pure but I know burns work. :)

By the way how long am I going to have to keep answering those dumb questions and doing that verification junk every time I post?

turboswimbz

Quote from: VmprHntrD on 12/31/2017, 12:37 PMThanks for the heads up.

I popped that cherry finally the other night from a nice deal from Japan.  I had this $100 gift card so it was just $50 shipped.  Got a CG2 in excellent shape with no parts or accessories missing, also came with 3 HuCards too in little plastic slips (Galaga, Doraemon puzzler/action, and Space Invaders.)

The emulator?  You speak of everdrive or terraonion device as physical emulation, or actual computer emulators?  I actually own a copy of Magic Engine still I got back when it first released 20 years ago~.  Problem is that one won't run an ISO/CUE file as it likes to be pure but I know burns work. :)

By the way how long am I going to have to keep answering those dumb questions and doing that verification junk every time I post?
not that long.   generally just the first few post, there was a bot issue for a while. . .

Emulators still exist, but there is a pretty good option that's coming out/came out if you want to play CD games and Hucards with added built-in video enhancements.  honestly, I would suggest this over most of the other options.  add it to that core you get and boom, most of the library is open to you.  we'll see how they do in the hands of the general public, but looks like a really nice option so far. Threads for your viewing pleasure:

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=22850.0;topicseen

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?273291-Terraonion-New-Product-Super-SD-System-3&p=4255994#post4255994
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

VmprHntrD

Thanks.  That's what I meant about the terraonion device.  I'm also a Neo Geo owner so I'm familiar with the NeoSD crew(Terraonion) and knew of that device and I believe it is actively for sale right now.  Converted to the local money with shipping it would set me back $300 vs $100 for the Everdrive.

Given what the disc drives costs, their fragility, and the media in general due to how things have escalated horribly in the last near decade it seems almost financially responsible to buy that thing.

crazydean

Another advantage of the SD 3 is that you don't have to deal with the trouble of burning discs or the problems associated with it: long read times, music cutting out, etc

turboswimbz

Quote from: VmprHntrD on 01/01/2018, 12:27 AMThanks.  That's what I meant about the terraonion device.  I'm also a Neo Geo owner so I'm familiar with the NeoSD crew(Terraonion) and knew of that device and I believe it is actively for sale right now.  Converted to the local money with shipping it would set me back $300 vs $100 for the Everdrive.

Given what the disc drives costs, their fragility, and the media in general due to how things have escalated horribly in the last near decade it seems almost financially responsible to buy that thing.
Sorry, That's why I didn't elaborate the first time. I thought I misread when you asked about the emulators. .. ( i was referring to the SD3 and everdrive) feels weird given the way this works . . . quasi emulation . . . sorry tangent, anyway we were talking about the same thing all along.   the everdrive isn't bad either for a cheaper chip/card only option.

The price thing is what I was getting at, a duo can set you back quite a bit before you buy games,.  If your looking just play then you have the trouble of burining disks, or buying an everdrive anyway.  for the same price, you can just have the emulators...

anyway sounds like your on the right track, since you have the experience you should be able to navigate quickly. 

My suggestions would be this: (for anyone thinking similarly about starting/restarting the system)

I want real hardware / a mix - > Duo/Briefcase (possible region mod) the disk drives haven't had quite that many issues yet.

up to 95% of library

I want to play games -> pure emulation or the SD3 with a coregrafx/PCE/Turbo. (of course, time will tell how reliable these are, but given the group behind it, it seems like a really good new option)
 PCE/Turbo with everdrive (hucard only but cheaper)

up to 98% of the library  (note you can get 99.9% with a supergrafx)

I want teh best -> Talk with the people and modders here about the best setups for picture, audio, mods, ect.  be prepared for the community lashback of not another person looking to pump themselves up to dump the system or leave it on a shelf and doesn't care about the system.

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard!

As long as you're playing and having fun, it doesn't really matter what type of hardware you're playing on.  Pick one and enjoy!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

VmprHntrD

I'm on the mix of play the games and the /go the mix route.  One of my favorite games from the region overseas is basically Super Dodgeball.  I saw a lone card pop up recently for around $15 so I snapped it up.  The system coming has 3 other games with it that are enjoyable and varied enough too.

I just need to either go all in with the big boy toy for $300 or the lowly Everdrive route for a 1/3 of the price and have many cards to mess with.  A lot of my fun back then came from a mix of both so I'm leaning towards just enjoying a few cards, and when I break that $300 barrier ponying up for the meaty kit.  I still believe in owning games, so I can wait on some random lots of goodies, or whatever rolls by as long as I don't consider the pricing too asinine (which to me is paying more than a game retailed for more or less.)

I'd feel more lost on this or maybe different had I never owned the Duo for so many years and enjoyed it from around roughly 1997-2005.  I even had a few burns then too, but most my discs were legit and all the cards were.  N64 being jacked by Sony drove me into 2 things, being more of a handheld gamer, but also one who would own other than 1 console and that 1 was the Duo.

I didn't run to Sega and sure as hell Sony then given things.  Both were slimy manipulators in the print media and lied fairly well in ads and interviews too so I washed my hands of both until around 99(Dreamcast) and 01 (PS1+2.)  Not a pro-Nintendo thing, I still won't drink Pepsi or buy other things due to similar tactics. :)

turboswimbz

Dodgeball is fun, I also quite enjoy kickball

double childhood hit to the soul.

To each their own but I enjoy the hell out of PS-1 and 2, despite never having them as a kid.  N64 sucked then and does now compared to other systems of the time, but i still have fun with it.

Yeah I enjoy having my DOUs - even if they need repair now.