OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

I think I may have just ruined my authentic turbografx experience.

Started by Keith Courage, 03/01/2018, 05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Courage

So, I recently got myself a nintendo wii, got a component cable, and loaded up wiimednafen with a few TG16 games.

OMG does it look good and the emulation is so dam accurate! I can't really tell the difference over the real thing. I am using the 240P mode on a SD CRT so yes it has scanlines. I even think the picture is slightly better than component out of a real system. The only downfall might be that I think it has a minimal amount of lag but that could just be my imagination and the controller I am using. This is the most accurate TG16 emulation running 240P for an SD CRT I've ever seen.

Because of this it brings up these questions.

Why own real hardware?
Why own real games?
Why bother with a Super SD system 3 when a wii can emulate the CD drive perfectly.

Just curious if anyone else has seen/used the Tg16 wii emulation and possibly thought the same thing.

Gypsy

I have but I still like having the original hardware and games around because I'm a derpus.

NecroPhile

The best and most important reason is because nobody will be impressed if you shoot your youtube videos in front of a Wii and SD card.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

crazydean

Because I won't play it on the Wii. There's just something about running emulation that I find unappealing. There are two main reasons.

The first is the time it takes to start a game after powering the Wii on, then sorting through menus with the fucking wiimote. I hate that damn thing. It's just a stupid gimmick. Ugh.

The second is that I can't use a real PCE controller. Or, at least one that feels very similar. I think that the controller is one of the best thing about playing games on different systems. I wouldn't want to just use a Wii or GCN controller for every game.

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 03/01/2018, 06:32 PMThe best and most important reason is because nobody will be impressed if you shoot your youtube videos in front of a Wii and SD card.
REAL fucking TALK right here.

Quote from: crazydean on 03/01/2018, 06:46 PMThe first is the time it takes to start a game after powering the Wii on, then sorting through menus with the fucking wiimote. I hate that damn thing. It's just a stupid gimmick. Ugh.
I, too, hate the wii mote. Also really good point, I love that old systems the game just starts right away. It's part of the appeal when you just want to play something quick n dirty.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Keith Courage on 03/01/2018, 05:22 PMWhy own real hardware?
Why own real games?
Why bother with a Super SD system 3 when a wii can emulate the CD drive perfectly.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Keith Courage

Quote from: guest on 03/01/2018, 06:32 PMThe best and most important reason is because nobody will be impressed if you shoot your youtube videos in front of a Wii and SD card.
Haha!

I don't see myself getting rid of my games or hardware anytime soon. Its just with options like this it makes the idea more appealing.

I too agree with the annoyance of flipping through all the Wii menus. However the same could be said for having a super SD system 3 or ever drive.

I am also crazy impressed at how accurate the wiimednafen emulation is. I've tried many emulators for the tg16 but none of them were this much like the real deal.

GameCube controllers do suck. That's why I have an adapter to use a PS2 controller.

SignOfZeta

I've done this and I agree, it's way better looking than real hardware.

As to why it hasn't affected my real collection one bit, mainly it's because I like manuals and art and every other aspect of a video game as much as I like the code. Also, It takes genuine effort to get two good joysticks working at the same time, every time, which pisses me off. Also, as is the case with EVERY FUCKING EMULATOR the CDs take extra effort to get going and I've never figured it out.*

On a real system if the joystick is plugged in and nothing is physically broken...it works. ALWAYS. Same with CDs. There are no settings on a TG-16. There are so so so many in an emulator. Every time you turn it on you're fucking with something. Yeah I've played this fucking thing 13 times, I don't know why it forgot my button config that I'm pissed off about having to make in the first place because real hardware never needs it.

If I spent a few hours screaming at the internet about how it sucks now I could probably get CDs going but then when my Wii died I'd have to figure it out all over again, when even more of the info has expired and even more of the tutorial links are dead, and frankly I'd rather kill myself.

You have to understand. I've been doing this for decades. I sail the ship straight, I do not fall for fads.

* emu authors: do no ever make another TG emulator that doesn't run CDs out of the box. It isn't needed. Don't make any more like that. Time to step up, we're like 20 years into emulating this 30 year old system and still zero progress in this area whatsoever as far as I know. I'm a complete tard about these things so I could be wrong. I know about copyrights. Just don't make a new program that's ultimately going to send 100,000 otaku to forums trying to figure out how to play half the fucking library. Again. Like the last 20 PCE emulators did.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Keith Courage on 03/01/2018, 07:13 PMGameCube controllers do suck. That's why I have an adapter to use a PS2 controller.
How much are the Russians paying you to sow discord on the American internet? Too much, apparently, nobody will believe you're real. You just created a dichotomy out of thin air that couldn't possibly have any organic origin. This is just shit starting, here.
IMG

seieienbu

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/01/2018, 09:20 PM
Quote from: Keith Courage on 03/01/2018, 07:13 PMGameCube controllers do suck. That's why I have an adapter to use a PS2 controller.
How much are the Russians paying you to sow discord on the American internet? Too much, apparently, nobody will believe you're real. You just created a dichotomy out of thin air that couldn't possibly have any organic origin. This is just shit starting, here.
Fake news.  GC controllers suck.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Keith Courage

QuoteFake news.  GC controllers suck.
What can I say. They hurt my left thumb. The d pad is just way too far into the center of the controller for me.

SignOfZeta

I see what you're saying, but a PS2 pad is better? Please. Total Russian troll. There is no person on Earth who would ever feel that way about things. I'm not even sure it's a real Russian, probably just a bot.

I use Hori GB Player Controller, Wii TvC stick, WiiMote, because they plug in (or not) out of the box and were cheap when I got them. (All have better direction control than a PS2 pad, although the config of Start and Select could be better on WiiMote.) Now I could probably get a Duo for that GBP pad.
IMG

seieienbu

PSwhatever pads suck too.  I think I like them slightly more than say, GC or N64 pads but worse than maybe everything else.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gypsy

Quote from: Keith Courage on 03/01/2018, 09:51 PM
QuoteFake news.  GC controllers suck.
What can I say. They hurt my left thumb. The d pad is just way too far into the center of the controller for me.
The Gamecube dpad is unusable but the controller is otherwise a masterwork. So I guess that does make it shit for emulating old games that you want to play with a dpad. But it's super great for actual Gamecube games.

Gypsy

Quote from: seieienbu on 03/01/2018, 10:25 PMPSwhatever pads suck too.  I think I like them slightly more than say, GC or N64 pads but worse than maybe everything else.
MMMM MMMMM AMENNNNNNN.

Purple1308

Well the wii doesnt have all the games unless you hack it

crazydean

Quote from: Purple1308 on 03/01/2018, 10:45 PMWell the wii doesnt have all the games unless you hack it
lol wut?

The first thing Keith mentioned was using an emulator on the Wii. Hacking, at least homebrew, is implied.

Purple1308

Quote from: crazydean on 03/01/2018, 11:16 PM
Quote from: Purple1308 on 03/01/2018, 10:45 PMWell the wii doesnt have all the games unless you hack it
lol wut?

The first thing Keith mentioned was using an emulator on the Wii. Hacking, at least homebrew, is implied.
Yeah i kinda realized that after i fully read it

ClodBusted

Raphnet has adaptor circuits available to build your own adaptor from TG/PCE controller to USB:
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/nes2usb/index.php
He also does a circuit for adapting various controllers to the Wiimote accessory connector:
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/brd_extenmote/index.php
I wonder if he would be willing to include TG/PCE support into the latter one if requested.

On the Wii Virtual Console, I either use a Classic Controller Pro, or the NES Classic controller for TG/PCE games. I also got a Hori Digital controller for GameCube.

The GameCube's stock d-pad beats the Xbox 360's d-pad by a big margin.
The PS2's d-pad is OK. But the original PS1 controller has better feeling buttons (as long as you don't get an ALPS manufactured one, marked with 'A'), since it lacks the pressure sensitive layer of the PS2's Dualshock buttons.

Pfloydguy2

I bought my Turbo setup several years after I had everything emulated on the Wii.  And I actually really like the Wii classic controller.  Rondo of Blood plays like a dream on the Wii.  But I still wanted original hardware, because to me there's something about playing on the original hardware.  It's like this was what the developers intended, even though I know it would be more accurate to say this is all the developers had to work with.

In other news, the Gamecube D-pad is indeed awful, because it's about half the size it should be.  I used to use a PS2-to-GC controller cable, but there was a little bit of input lag so it really wasn't much better.  That Hori GB Player controller looks amazing though.  I'm sure I'll end up hunting one down, because I won't have the good judgment not to.

SignOfZeta

While I haven't used it, the NES Classic pad should work phenomenally. I use the Wii TVC stick on my SNES Classic with no problems.
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 03/02/2018, 01:01 AMRaphnet has adaptor circuits available to build your own adaptor from TG/PCE controller to USB:
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/nes2usb/index.php
He also does a circuit for adapting various controllers to the Wiimote accessory connector:
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/brd_extenmote/index.php
I wonder if he would be willing to include TG/PCE support into the latter one if requested.

On the Wii Virtual Console, I either use a Classic Controller Pro, or the NES Classic controller for TG/PCE games. I also got a Hori Digital controller for GameCube.

The GameCube's stock d-pad beats the Xbox 360's d-pad by a big margin.
The PS2's d-pad is OK. But the original PS1 controller has better feeling buttons (as long as you don't get an ALPS manufactured one, marked with 'A'), since it lacks the pressure sensitive layer of the PS2's Dualshock buttons.
I use the Raphnet adapter for GameCube to play GB/GBC/GBA games, it's great and relatively lag free compared to some cheap ones I got years earlier.
--DragonmasterDan

ClodBusted

Good to hear about that. I got his N64/GC to USB adaptor and it works just fine as it should.

exodus

there's absolutely no real reason to own anything, especially if it doesn't do anything extra for you.

the reason I own stuff is due to my particular brain - if I have everything available to me, I won't interact with any of it for long. This is just a thing I know about myself! I like being able to go and browse my collection like it's a game shop, look at the covers and manuals, and figure out what I want to play that way.

But for most people, honestly, there's no point in owning a bunch of physical objects that just take up space.

Groover

I need to do this to my Wii. It just sits there gathering dust. I agree I will have to do something about the controller. A controller adaptor might do the trick.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Yes. Mod your Wii. That's the proper way for it to collect dust.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

I love the PSX controller and pad, but that's because I've been using it for 20 years and I am used to how it hurts my fucking thumb so I just don't feel it anymore.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ToyMachine78

Its not same, even when using an everdrive. There is something very satisfying about sliding a huey in, and sliding the power switch on and having the intro immediately start.

NE146

My Xbox is loaded up, The Wii is loaded up, my PC is loaded up, and the Turbo Duo is loaded up with an Everdrive. No point in artificially limiting yourself really when the other stuff is relatively free. :p 

And yeah while I'm a fan of shoving in a hucard.. I've been doing that for decades and now some of them are getting flaky. I'm fine leaving in the ED.  :D

LostFlunky

1st party Gamecube games - there isn't a better controller.

But try playing Legend of Zelda with that tiny d-pad. It is impossible...

I would be happy with Saturn (Japanese style) controllers for Wii/Pi emulation.

NightWolve

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/01/2018, 09:20 PM
:lol:

Groover

What about an arcade Stick to use with the Wii? Any good suggestions for the Wii?
IMG

SignOfZeta

I use the Tatsunoko vs Capcom fight stick. No complaints.
IMG

Keith Courage

I got a ps2 shadow blade arcade stick that I use with a PlayStation to gamecube adapter.

Something I should mention is that I've tested two different kinds of playstation to gamecube controller adapters and only ps2 controllers work with it. Meaning a ps1 arcade stick will not work. I've also tested two different types of ps1 arcade sticks to verify this.

blueraven

Quote from: Keith Courage on 03/01/2018, 05:22 PMSo, I recently got myself a nintendo wii, got a component cable, and loaded up wiimednafen with a few TG16 games.

OMG does it look good and the emulation is so dam accurate! I can't really tell the difference over the real thing. I am using the 240P mode on a SD CRT so yes it has scanlines. I even think the picture is slightly better than component out of a real system. The only downfall might be that I think it has a minimal amount of lag but that could just be my imagination and the controller I am using. This is the most accurate TG16 emulation running 240P for an SD CRT I've ever seen.

Why own real hardware?
Why own real games?

Just curious if anyone else has seen/used the Tg16 wii emulation and possibly thought the same thing.
Is this real?

blueraven

I still prefer it all on my PVM or CRT.

I really can't stand the Wii, its the only console I've ever avoided imo

Keith Courage

Quote from: blueraven on 03/17/2018, 06:42 AM
Quote from: Keith Courage on 03/01/2018, 05:22 PMSo, I recently got myself a nintendo wii, got a component cable, and loaded up wiimednafen with a few TG16 games.

Why own real hardware?
Why own real games?

Is this real?
yes, real. This was the reason I bought one. Never wanted one until I had a friend show me just how accurate it was for 16bit on down emulation. Especially since it can do 240P for a more accurate crt experience.