RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Top Ten PCE/PCE CD/TG16 games?

Started by LionHeart, 06/24/2021, 07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LionHeart

:yuki:

Hey folks!

I'm new here.

Why don't we start to get to know each other via a good old top ten???

The only rule is no Rondo, that game is too good than it has any right to be and will be probably be everyone's top of the list, predictably.

NightWolve

Thanks for testing/stopping by, LionHeart! I thought you were another "lionheart" member we had from some years back, but no connection as you said. ; )

Note: PCEFX New Era is still in development, I haven't sent out a newsletter to the 5k registered membership to invite some back, so don't expect much posts for the time being until I finish the theme/repairs/import/upgrades and send those emails out.

That being said, I'll think up my ~Top 10 PCE list right quick. This is a rough estimate I'd say, I'd love to really sit down and go through my rental/owned/emulation gaming history of TG-16 to create a definitive list of my thoughts, but I dunno when I'd ever make the dedicated time for that... So best I can do on short notice is:

• Ys Book I & II  :bonkthis: :adol:
    (Speaks for itself, fell in love with it the second the opening cinema began, led to my Ys IV localization project!)
  • Dracula X
    (Legendary! Castevania times 10!)
  • Super Star Soldier
    (My TurboExpress is quite familiar with this HuCard!)
  • Gate of Thunder/Lords of Thunder  :duran:
    (My first CD shooters, still hold best videogame soundtrack status!)
  • Neutopia 1 & 2 / series
    (Loved these Zelda clones, I was a NES kid after all; rented the 1st, bought the 2nd via TurboZoneDirect I believe!)
  • Cosmic Fantasy 2
    (I was a big RPG fan by this point too in addition to shooters, Working Designs did not disappoint!)
  • Bloody Wolf
    (I won this game with a TurboGrafx-16 system & Keith Courage, played it *many* times! Loads of bad ass fun, here's a recent Twitter thread!)
  • Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys  :adol:
    (Very special place in my heart, and my dream localization project I made reality!)
  • Bonk 1, 2, 3 / series  :bonkthis:
    (While 3 was the worst, the Bonk series overall provided lots of rental replay value, fun, etc. and deserves respect!)
  • Exile 1 & 2 / series
    (I bought both for my CD collection, tried to grab all Working Designs releases, interesting story, cool action!)
  • Ninja Spirit
    (I reevaluated my last pick... Almost went with SplatterHouse, then remembered of Dragon Spirit which had more replay/fun and great chiptune music, so ranks higher for me. But Ninja Spirit... was my pack-in Turbo Duo HuCard, loved it, mountains of replay value, so it's gotta be on the list somewhere!)
Honorable mentions: Valis series, Star Parodier (newly discovered on my Konami mini, charming/fun/lovable cute'em up shooter), Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes, Ys III (greatest soundtrack in videogame history), Dungeon Explorer, Cadash, Raiden.

Reference:

- My Incomplete TG-16 Backloggery/History -
https://backloggery.com/games.php?user=nightwolve&console=TDuo

Addendum:

Speaking of Bloody Wolf, it was covered by GameSack Joe recently on July 18th's episode!
Turbo still standing strong even in 2021! :thumbsup:

Joe has a shtick in throughout the video: every time he says "Bloody Wolf," a barking-dog sound clip must be played, heh... Why didn't he use a howling wolf ? I dunno, that's the joke, play off wolves and dogs being distant cousins.

JohnnyPhantom

This list might change, since I haven't touched a PCE/TG16 in about 6 years (that's all changing now)

but from what I remember... I would say my top 10 would be... (In No Particular order)

1.) Splatterhouse (My brother and I loved parts 2 & 3 for Sega Genesis, never could find part 1, then later in my 20's in early 2000's I figured out it wasn't on Genesis)
2.) Neutopia
3.) Alien Crush/Devils Crush (grouping them together as 1 since they pretty much both pinball, but soooo good)
4.) Bonk's Adventure (fell in love with this game when I first saw it as a kid on Nick Arcade on Nickelodeon)
5.) Toilet Kids (it's such a weird shooter, I love it!)
6.) Ys Book I&II
7.) Dungeon Explorer
8.) Loom (big fan of LucasArts as well as any Point and Click adventure game really, Jealous that Sega CD got The Secret of Monkey Island and TG got Loom, I LOVE Monkey Island)
9.) Popful Mail/Magical Fantasy Adventure (I do like the Sega CD version a lil better, probably due to being in English)
10.) Snatcher (I LOVE this game on Sega CD, and sure I'll love it just as much on TGCD, but just can't read it, but still counting it)

That's what I got from memory, I'm sure once I start playing again and trying new games this will all change