@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Pcenginefx Radio: Love it? Hate it? Tell me!

Started by PCEngineFX, 08/02/2004, 05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineFX

With the return of pcengine-fx.com, comes the return of Pcenginefx Radio Live...This is a live-shoutcast stream playing a selection of tunes from various SuperCD, CD-ROM2 and HuCard games.

From the people that have been tuning into the stream, do you like the rotation of the music?  Like the selection?  Any music you would like to see included in the rotation?  Please post your comments/suggestions here!
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

kaotik

I for one love it! The rotation is decent. I am now noticing repeats now cause I have been listening throughout the day. It's definately another plus on this site!!!!

PCEngineFX

Hi kaotik,

Thanks for the feedback!  I still need to install a smarter shuffle in Winamp, which should produce less repeats (on my to-do list).
IMG
IMG

PCEngineFX

Ok, I just fixed the playlist and now it's looking good.  Let me know how you like the rotation now.  Currently, there are 350 songs in rotation, with a total of 4h23m of play time.  You shouldn't hear any repeats for at least 4 hours straight.
IMG
IMG

esteban

absolutely great tunes.  thank you for taking the time to do this :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

eagix

Aaron,

You have no idea how much this rocks.

I lovei t!

-Eagan

M1Savage

Another thumbs up from me! I often listen to it at work.  :D

dpaint4

Keeps me company late night at work.  Always loved it but it's even better now that it's live shoutcast.  Thanks a billion Aaron.

doomfarer75

I concur....This Rocks!   my girlfriend thinks I'm a freak/geek but I don't care....all day long as I am at work or surfing...thanks alot!
"Look to your knives now, and 'ware the foeman."- The Doomfarers of Coramonde, by Brian Daley

http://www.brian-daley.com/default.htm
http://www.charlesatlas.com

asshat

xolik

The music rocks! This is making my work day a lot better having this playing while I do my thing. Thanks so much for the time and effort you put into it.
Not all who launder are washed.

vtnwesley

Well, overall I like PC Engine FX Radio. This is a lot clearer than I remember it being a good while ago. I do have some minor complaints though.

1.) I'm not sure how possible it is, but I would love to actually see my Windows Media Player be aware of each track's title and the game it came from. That would make things rock that much more.

2.) The rotation isn't perfect, but is still pretty good. The sign of truly good video game music (in my opinion) is when no one cares it came from a game and isn't "real music". Some of the tracks get annoying after a little while. I'm pretty open minded about what is and isn't "music" but even I have my limits on some of these tracks. Some of the CD based tracks are intended for ambience in a game. Out of context they sound really out there. Some of the early HuCard games sound like very poorly composed NES titles. The squeaks and squawks of those tracks gets on my nerves a bit.

Aside from those things, I really love the fact PCEFX Radio is here and hope it stays around for a long time. Rock on!

P.S. A long long while ago, the first time I heard PCEFX Radio, a Chip-Chan Kick tune played. It was very peppy and upbeat, and still kind of cool. Since I have never heard it. If I could get that on the rotation a little more often, I'd love it!

esteban

I'd love to hear more HuCard PSG tunes.  Or even the PSG tunes from CD games (i.e. the town music in Ys I & II).  If someone explains a good way to record PSG tunes (see prior post), I'll record them and then provide them to you :)

Unlike the previous poster, I like the fact that you put a variety of music on rotation.

iTunes player (mac) recognizes the name for each track while it is playing, although I've noticed the listings sometimes lag 2-3 songs.

Overall, pcenginefx radio is excellent!!!!!

vtnwesley

Quote from: "stevek666"Unlike the previous poster, I like the fact that you put a variety of music on rotation.

You misunderstand. I don't have a problem with variety. when I go to listen to music, I'd like it to actually be music. In an hour of listening to PCEFX Radio I think I only heard one track that I didn't think belonged. I don't have a problem with variety or old chiptunes. As long as the music is actual music, it's all good.

xolik

Quote from: "vtnwesley"1.) I'm not sure how possible it is, but I would love to actually see my Windows Media Player be aware of each track's title and the game it came from. That would make things rock that much more.

iTunes for Windows will solve this problem. It's what I'm using.  :wink:
Not all who launder are washed.

vtnwesley

Quote from: "xolik"
Quote from: "vtnwesley"1.) I'm not sure how possible it is, but I would love to actually see my Windows Media Player be aware of each track's title and the game it came from. That would make things rock that much more.

iTunes for Windows will solve this problem. It's what I'm using.  :wink:

I appreciate the tip. I'll give it a shot. I am not a huge fan of iTunes (good music store, bloaty music player), but I'll see if I can live with it anyway. Either way, the functionality for WMP would be nice. Windows Media to many is THE standard. I use it because it's the best. I avoid installing outside codecs/players when I can because usually (aside from iTunes/Quicktime) if it requires an outside player, something is wrong. RealOne Player would be a good example. I don't want their junk. I would rather not have such-n-such at all, than have it in RealOne format.

why does it matter? Well, a lot of these codecs/players have little junk programs that go with them. Others install ad-ware or spy-ware with them. Some just crash a lot because they are poorly made.

Like I said though, I appreciate the tip. Thanks.

esteban

Quote from: "vtnwesley"
Quote from: "stevek666"Unlike the previous poster, I like the fact that you put a variety of music on rotation.

You misunderstand. I don't have a problem with variety. when I go to listen to music, I'd like it to actually be music. In an hour of listening to PCEFX Radio I think I only heard one track that I didn't think belonged. I don't have a problem with variety or old chiptunes. As long as the music is actual music, it's all good.
Ahh, sorry if I sounded harsh :).  I should have made it clearer that I like all the tracks... even if they are not traditional "songs" but simply "ambient soundscapes" (for lack of a better term).  Regardless, it was very kool that you took the time to provide thoughtful feedback :).

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

PCEngineFX

Thanks for all of the comments....sorry that I've not been around that often/lack of updates over the past few months.

I did want to say that I will be upgrading Pcenginefx Radio here very soon.  The following are what I have planned:

- Stream bitrate increase!  Will probably increase up to 96kbps or so.
- More song selection (of course)
- Weeding out tracks that are too repetitive/annoying.
- Start up the specific hourly shows every week

Stay tuned....
IMG
IMG

esteban

Quote from: "Pcenginefx"Thanks for all of the comments....sorry that I've not been around that often/lack of updates over the past few months.

I did want to say that I will be upgrading Pcenginefx Radio here very soon.  The following are what I have planned:

- Stream bitrate increase!  Will probably increase up to 96kbps or so.
- More song selection (of course)
- Weeding out tracks that are too repetitive/annoying.
- Start up the specific hourly shows every week

Stay tuned....
Splendid.

vtnwesley

Had one more quick suggestion. This one may be a stretch, but meh... I think it might be a good idea to play music from PC-E related companies from other consoles (i.e. modern Hudson games like Bomberman Tournament for GBA, or the recent Ys games for the PS2, or the Super NES Bonk titles). It isn't quite on-topic, but it isn't quite off-topic. Just thought I should run that by anyone who might be interested.

OldRover

Quote from: "vtnwesley"Had one more quick suggestion. This one may be a stretch, but meh... I think it might be a good idea to play music from PC-E related companies from other consoles (i.e. modern Hudson games like Bomberman Tournament for GBA, or the recent Ys games for the PS2, or the Super NES Bonk titles). It isn't quite on-topic, but it isn't quite off-topic. Just thought I should run that by anyone who might be interested.
Err...wouldn't that go against the title of the broadcast? :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

esteban

Quote from: "vtnwesley"Had one more quick suggestion. This one may be a stretch, but meh... I think it might be a good idea to play music from PC-E related companies from other consoles (i.e. modern Hudson games like Bomberman Tournament for GBA, or the recent Ys games for the PS2, or the Super NES Bonk titles). It isn't quite on-topic, but it isn't quite off-topic. Just thought I should run that by anyone who might be interested.
I totally know where you're coming from :).  I'd like to hear these tunes as well... but the only way to justify this for pcenginefx, methinks, would be to have a special, 1-hour segment dedicated  to pce-related music. I wouldn't want non-PCE music in the regular rotation (except for Ys Perfect Collection, of course). But the idea of a special show would be pretty neat, IMO, and would make everybody happy :).

vtnwesley

Quote from: "stevek666"I totally know where you're coming from :).  I'd like to hear these tunes as well... but the only way to justify this for pcenginefx, methinks, would be to have a special, 1-hour segment dedicated  to pce-related music. I wouldn't want non-PCE music in the regular rotation (except for Ys Perfect Collection, of course). But the idea of a special show would be pretty neat, IMO, and would make everybody happy :).

That is an excellent idea. A good excuse to switch from the norm, yet without being "off-topic" or whatever. Maybe a hour or two on a Saturday or something. I'd like that.

esteban

Yeah, I'd be even happier with two hours of pce-related music :).

PCEngineFX

Thanks for all of the comments everyone.  I am taking all of them into consideration and seeing where they could fit in the overall Pcenginefx Radio scheme.

The primary and fundamental reason why Pcenginefx Radio exists is to bring you 24/7 TurboGrafx/PCE/PC-FX streaming music, so that won't change.  What will most likely be changed/added are specific hour-long shows that will have different themes, such as the previously mentioned HuCard hour, Falcom hour, and possibly other themed shows such as a non-PCE related hour and so on.  Now that I'm in-between projects at home I have some time over the next few weeks to seriously work on this.

Just a heads up: I'm upgrading the radio server over the next few days so the stream will be up and down (currently down).
IMG
IMG

Keranu

I haven't heard any of the newer updated PCEFX radio shows, but the ones from the past were okay. What I enjoyed most were the two special interviews you had which was one with Bonk and one with Guy Kazama. I thought both were actually pretty funny (some people might find it "corny" or "cheesy"). I would like to hear more stuff like that :D .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

PCEngineFX

Quote from: "Keranu"I haven't heard any of the newer updated PCEFX radio shows, but the ones from the past were okay. What I enjoyed most were the two special interviews you had which was one with Bonk and one with Guy Kazama. I thought both were actually pretty funny (some people might find it "corny" or "cheesy"). I would like to hear more stuff like that :D .

Hi Keranu,

Before I switched Pcenginefx Radio to become a live stream, it used to be in the form of pre-recorded Real Audio segments.  I don't do that anymore (mostly don't have the time).  I have another "interview" that I did with Sadler from Exile which I still have to air however.....

Current Radio Status:  The stream is back and working good now...I've upped the stream to 64kbps, and am testing our first show: Falcom Hour.  If you happen to tune in at 6PM PST, lmk how you like it...it comes on currently every evening.
IMG
IMG