OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorIng

Konami time: I recently picked up Gradius II for the SCD. Despite owning the arcade game on the Saturn, the subtle changes made to the port here are quite admirable:
1) the shot limit is increased, which makes recoveries and the beginning of the game easier
2) Ripple lasers are more accurate and effective than the arcade original
3) Moais shoot more rings and can shoot offscreen, but are slower in speed
4) new stage is excellent

I haven't gotten farther than the high-speed stage, but I've been told that the zub rush at the end is more difficult, the boss rush is a mite more manageable, and the Gun Wall is more tame on account of the weaker hardware. So some things have been made trickier, whereas others have been lightened up because of running off of PCE processors. I think that overall is not too bad, since the game is plenty hard as-is. I don't know if it will convince me to let go of my Saturn collection any time soon.

I also cleared the first loop of Detana!! Twinbee, which is also another port that can boast of highly-polished Konami fine-tuning: e.g. slightly more forgiving, tweaked hitboxes, and designed well for 4:3 ratio

Final levels are very tricky, especially with all those damn bells flying everywhere.

NightWolve

Thanks for the Gradius II SCD info, always wanted to buy an original of it. Missed a chance a year ago or so and didn't bother again cause I picked up other games and forgot, but it's still on the list.

jenkinsmitchell

I just started Rondo of Blood this week. I also just got my first NEC system in the form of a PC duo. Not sure what I'll play after RoB, but I'm leaning toward Dungeon Explorer (which I didn't know had a 5-player option).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ginoscope

Just beat the most annoying boss in Dragon Slayer.  I hate it when RPGs put a stupid hard boss towards the end game to prolong the game.  I'm all about the challenge but this Gaius guy was mega annoying.

Had to commit strategic suicide to get more gear but I eventually beat him.

gatsu25

Unfortunately I'm away from my Turbo for the time being, but if I was playing it, I want to spend more time on Time Cruise.  I absolutely love that game.  I personally enjoyed it more than Alien/Devil's Crush.  Anyone else like it that much?  Just me?

TheClash603

Quote from: gatsu25 on 04/24/2016, 05:22 AMUnfortunately I'm away from my Turbo for the time being, but if I was playing it, I want to spend more time on Time Cruise.  I absolutely love that game.  I personally enjoyed it more than Alien/Devil's Crush.  Anyone else like it that much?  Just me?
I might agree with you...

One week it will be my favorite pinball game, but then a week later I change my mind and prefer one of the Crush games, they are all so good I can never lock down a favorite.

NecroPhile

Quote from: gatsu25 on 04/24/2016, 05:22 AMUnfortunately I'm away from my Turbo for the time being, but if I was playing it, I want to spend more time on Time Cruise.  I absolutely love that game.  I personally enjoyed it more than Alien/Devil's Crush.  Anyone else like it that much?  Just me?
All three are great, but Time Cruise is my favorite too.  The huge play field and mini-games (especially prehistoric golf) are what put it on top.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ginoscope

Finally finished Dragon Slayer....in every RPG I always get to the end and need a break for 2-3 weeks to finish it.  Then I come back and take on the last dungeon and beat the game.  The game was decent overall even though we got it in 1992 it definitely felt like a 1990 rpg.  Good game overall but I am glad I am done with it.

Warbucks

I am playing Jackie Chan..

Man.. I like this game more and more.

I found a couple of "Secret Levels" by accident.

Are there certain areas when they can always be accessed?

wildfruit

Just finished Ys I. Now starting Ys II. Darm tower sucks.

poponon

Quote from: wildfruit on 05/09/2016, 08:47 AMJust finished Ys I. Now starting Ys II. Darm tower sucks.
darm tower did suck. I think that's why ys1 is my least favourite ys so far.. and i've done 1-3, 4 snes, and 5.

I'm currently playing ys4 pc engine version with the english text and voice patch . it's awesome so far, and the work on the voice overs is great. really enjoying it. maybe i'll play ys6 or xak3 after this if i'm still in an rpg mood

martinine

Pop,

I'm playing Y's IV right now as well. I love it. Have not played the SNES bersion but was thinking about it. By all accounts it is not so good. Thoughts?

As for Y's Book I, I loved it. Darm Tower wasn't so bad. A little confusing, but I enjoyed it. I sort of enjoy level grinding, so I might not be the best source of opinion there...

Cheers.
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

SoulflySolid

Just got to Darm Tower in Ys I.

Also been playing Lords of Thunder. Game is awesome on so many levels.

NecroPhile

Pfft!  If you wussy scrubs can't handle Darm Tower, what'll you do when you get to Solomon Shrine and the Canals?  :P

Quote from: martinine on 05/16/2016, 09:22 PMI'm playing Ys IV right now as well. I love it. Have not played the SNES version but was thinking about it. By all accounts it is not so good. Thoughts?
Mask of the Sun is inferior in most every way, with meh tunes, a gimped battle system, and a smaller, blander world to explore.  It's not a bad game, though, just mediocre.  It's not as good as the PCE game, but it's still worth a look to get the 'official' story (which ain't all that different) and to compare versions.

PukeSter

Anybody know anything about Ys V? It seems pretty cool but only the "Easy" version is translated.

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 05/17/2016, 10:28 AMPfft!  If you wussy scrubs can't handle Darm Tower, what'll you do when you get to Solomon Shrine and the Canals?  :P
This was so frustrating. That game need a freaking map.

NecroPhile

Quote from: crazydean on 05/18/2016, 10:23 PMThis was so frustrating. That game need a freaking map.
Like the one that came with the retail version?  I never could've beaten it without that map.  IMG

Seriously, those areas can be a bit trying, but I never thought they were that hard.  At least the scenery changes and there's a few landmarks to help you know where you are, as opposed to games like Order of the Griffon where room after room looks the same.

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 05/18/2016, 09:34 PMAnybody know anything about Ys V? It seems pretty cool but only the "Easy" version is translated.
Eh, I'm not impressed with it, but it is another great technical accomplishment for Gideon Zhi to have finished hacking it after being stuck on it for so many years! I'm not keen on ever playing it though given the XSEED criminal who served as the translator (Neo-Geo's one-and-only cock-flasher), so that's a bit of a sticking point for me.

As for "Easy" version, you're referring to the fact that there's another copy of the game with the "Expert" subtitle that changed the difficulty and the patch wasn't advanced to also apply to it. I guess it's not much of a priority to Gideon having finally gotten the patch out at least for the main one.

An aside, I actually gave up in the middle of "Ys IV: Mask of the Sun" [SNES] - I got a bit stuck, quit for a while, but when I returned again to figure it out, I realized how bored I had gotten with it and just didn't care anymore to beat it for the sake of beating it... It's weird, I loved my SNES growing up, but the 2 Ys titles for it don't have any special hold/appreciation on me like the PC Engine/TG-16 and the Windows PC titles. "Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys" is the superior version in every way even if Falcom marked "Mask of the Sun" as canon (which only a few Ys geeks know and care about in evaluating between the two).

EmperorIng

Finally am trying out Magicoal. The music is top-notch, but the menu is cumbersome. I will need to really peruse Digi.K's excellent topic/guide to get a better handle on it.

I thought it was going to be a zelda open-world RPG, but it's actually (thus far) more a series of smaller arenas/areas split up as chapters.

martinine

I'm really loving Ys IV: Dawn of Ys. Fantastic in every way.

Thanks Nightwolve for that translation. It's superb!

I just entered Darm Tower. I really like how this game has bits from the prior entires sprinkled in for fun!
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

GoldenWheels

I got about 15 mins of Mysterious Song in the other night. Died 3 times between the first two towns. Decided, this was not a Saturday night/drinking beer game. That's my excuse anyway.

SoulflySolid

Finished watching the 5 episodes of Chronturbo that are up. Decided to fire up some Side Arms. I made it pretty far into the game before losing all my continues. It's definitely not as bad as Dr. S says, reminds me a lot of Section Z

GoldenWheels

Played some Valkyrie No Densetsu when I got sick of grinding in Mysterious Song...really fun once I adjusted to the perspective for the jumps. I keep getting to the damn second level boss right as my power up wear off though...and then he tree-hands my ass to me.

chemdream

Bomber man '94 over and over and over again...
Consoles: NES, SNES, N64, Wii, TG16, Master System, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS3, PS4, PSP, Vita, 3DS
Cabinets: Neo Geo, Capcom 18-in-1, CPS-II Multi, Donkey Kong, DK Junior, Dig Dug, Centipede, Tron, Simpsons 4 player, Nintendo VS

roflmao

Yesterday was a Turbo day for me. I spent a good chunk of time playing Gradius, Air Zonk (which I finally beat!), Devil's Crush, and Super Star Soldier. Man I suck at SSS.

Today I remembered how bad I am at Street Fighter II (once upon a time I was half decent, I swear!) and then played some Soldier Blade. Such an amazing soundtrack!

Gypsy

I finally beat that sob Nexzr recently.

Waiting on Soldier Blade in the mail but I've got Spriggan to try and beat before that gets here.

Been having a lot of fun playing Dungeon Explorer multi-player as well.

Dragon

Just finished playing through Ys 1-4 (thanks for your work on Dawn of Ys NightWolve, hell of a game.), and now I'm playing New Adventure Island.

Groover

I played some Blazing Lazers, Cadash, and Bonk's Adventure today on my Turbo Express. It was a fun relaxing day.
IMG

Gypsy

I had a lot of fun with Cyber Core last night. A tad on the easy side as shooters of this era go. The Engrish was lol.

MasonSushi

A friend and i sat down and beat Last Alert last night in one sitting. Had a great time. Infanite continues and the fact that you dont loose your rank when uou die means you will eventually beat it given enough attempts. Now we go to pick something else to beat. I suggest everybody play the game.

esteban

Quote from: MasonSushi on 06/10/2016, 02:11 PMA friend and i sat down and beat Last Alert last night in one sitting. Had a great time. Infanite continues and the fact that you dont loose your rank when uou die means you will eventually beat it given enough attempts. Now we go to pick something else to beat. I suggest everybody play the game.
Lots of nice little touches in this game (no spoilers) elevate it slightly above "average"....

Even though it is an average game, it seems a bit more special. And fun.

:)

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/10/2016, 11:17 AMI had a lot of fun with Cyber Core last night. A tad on the easy side as shooters of this era go. The Engrish was lol.
I don't know why, but I have always had a lot of fun playing this game (even though it SCREAMS "average" and "generic").

For example, I love the soundtrack, despite the fact that the songs repeat after a very short loop.

Anyway, it's totally more fun and enjoyable than most folks give it credit for.

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

rxmage

Playing Ys Book I&II.
Pissed off because I lost my saved games.
Pissed off because I am getting my ass handed to me by the mantis boss on floor 8 of the tower.
But, other than being pissed off, I am having a blast!

Gypsy

Quote from: esteban on 06/10/2016, 07:24 PM
Quote from: Gypsy on 06/10/2016, 11:17 AMI had a lot of fun with Cyber Core last night. A tad on the easy side as shooters of this era go. The Engrish was lol.
I don't know why, but I have always had a lot of fun playing this game (even though it SCREAMS "average" and "generic").

For example, I love the soundtrack, despite the fact that the songs repeat after a very short loop.

Yeah it's by no means a great game. But it's also really cheap (I more or less just tacked it on to an order because it was $9), so not a bad starter shooter. I tend to have enough fun with most shooters to at least clear them though.

esteban

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/11/2016, 08:02 AM
Quote from: esteban on 06/10/2016, 07:24 PM

Yeah it's by no means a great game. But it's also really cheap (I more or less just tacked it on to an order because it was $9), so not a bad starter shooter. I tend to have enough fun with most shooters to at least clear them though.
I will call it a "great" little game :)

I think that I'm a sucker for the Xevious formula, so I am biased (Xevious is not a particularly amazing game...but it's fundamental mechanics are sweet).

For example, I love Dragon Spirit, so...I have an addiction to satiate.

Gypsy

I did enjoy Dragon Spirit too. Xevious though, that was a bit of a stinker for me.

martinine

Quote from: rxmage on 06/11/2016, 12:00 AMPlaying Ys Book I&II.
Pissed off because I am getting my ass handed to me by the mantis boss on floor 8 of the tower.
At least Ys 1 is pretty short, so you can get back to where you need to be.

Go grind Adol until the monsters are only giving 1-2 points. This is a Ys tactic I always employ. The bosses are much easier, sometimes with just 1 level gained.

Enjoy! I love all the Ys series.

SoulflySolid

CrackTiger

Before starting over, look for passwords that will get you back close-enough to where you were.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

rxmage

Quote from: martinine on 06/11/2016, 11:44 AM
At least Ys 1 is pretty short, so you can get back to where you need to be.

Go grind Adol until the monsters are only giving 1-2 points. This is a Ys tactic I always employ. The bosses are much easier, sometimes with just 1 level gained.

Enjoy! I love all the Ys series.
Yeah, just about done with the tower now.  I wanted to complete I&II because I did the English text and audio patch for IV and am anxious to play it. 

Didn't use the codes because, frankly, I need the practice!  Plan to knock it out this weekend and start on IV hopefully.  I just love the action rpgs on the TurboGrafx!

SoulflySolid

Gypsy

Air Zonk is a game I'd like to get (looks really fun), but right now the price has trended in a bad way on Ebay. Probably going to end up getting a loose Japanese hu.

SoulflySolid

Yeah, you're not missing anything if you get the Japanese version

esteban

Quote from: SoulflySolid on 06/11/2016, 08:36 PMYeah, you're not missing anything if you get the Japanese version
Actually, JP version has the original (some may argue better) character design and sprites.

YOU KNOW YOU WANT COW UDDERS.

SoulflySolid

Ah yes, the infamous cow udder censorship

Medic_wheat

Many times I find the Japan port of a game even if released in NA is superior to the NA baring any language issues.

Final fight one the SNES?  I prefer Super Famicom no censorship. Same with Castelvania and even some PCE games.

They are also majority of the time affordable and a better deal over all.

wiseau

Slowly getting better at space harrier, i just managed to get through half the game before losing all my lives back to back.

esteban

Quote from: wiseau on 06/14/2016, 01:47 AMSlowly getting better at space harrier, i just managed to get through half the game before losing all my lives back to back.
This is the natural progression. :)

Great game.

Gypsy

Legendary Axe which I suck pretty hard at (typically can't beat it without dying a fair bit).

SavagePencil

I picked up a loose copy of Neutopia II.  I can walk...diagonally!

seieienbu

My lovely girlfriend got me the nice birthday present of Monster Lair.  I beat the third level on my first play through.  I've been playing a little bit this evening on my Turbo CD when, sadly, the disk will no longer spin. 

This is the second CD ROM unit that I've lost; I lost the first one about 17 years ago in college playing games I burned on CD.  Oh well, I've got both of them and with the info on this site I'll set about attempting to repair them both I guess but it does make me a little bit sad.

In the meantime, I guess I'll play it on my Duo at my place.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93