10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcrement5x

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/07/2016, 10:34 PM
Quote from: vmorr on 08/07/2016, 02:16 PM/4nyf.jpg

The Castlevania is resealed but it looks awesome and for the price I couldn't pass (still not cheap mind you). Something I wouldn't expect to find at a local shop. Not sure if I'll ever own a X68000 but it sure has a sweet library of games. Also happy to find a copy of Contact, an RPG I've been interested in for a little while.
I own Wild Arms 1-4, but only beat the first one myself. Don't quite remember it now, but I think I enjoyed it and hence pursued collecting the sequels for eventual future play (only growing my backlog). I bought the first 2, then I did tech work for my old friend at www.rpgfan.com to process data from a contest the website was running, and he "rigged" said contest where I "won" "Wild Arms 3," so as a thank you, he sent me that and a Korean PC import game from Softmax. Same friend that introduced me to "Ys I & II Complete" after buying it from Falcom upon release and letting me download it, so it's cause of him that I started the fan translation projects on Falcom Ys titles. He knew all about the PC import scene.

Now, "Wild Arms 4" is an "interesting" case for me, I bought that at BestBuy when it hit the $19.99 range and it went to storage along with my other backlog'ed games. A few years ago, I knocked my DVD case down, it and most everything else fell out and had to be picked up, and as I did, I glanced at the cover, noticed it was no longer Sony that had localized it... no, it now said "XSEED Games..." It turns out when the clown Mr. Ken Berry Wrong left SquareSoft/ENIX along with its president, that was the first game they selected for localization in 2004 when they formed this new "XSEED Games" company...

Fast forward to the situation now, with my staging a boycott against the company given I was cheated/exploited/abused of thousands of my fan work hours and translation software... I told the public that I don't buy their games and never will, but sure enough, without realizing it, I have a new, sealed copy of "Wild Arms 4" in my PS2 DVD stash... That led to an idea, I remember seeing how someone who regretted buying the "Legally Blonde" DVDs and slow-melted them in the microwave, so I thought when I'd get around to it, I'd do that also to my copy as a "F*ck-you!" Youtube protest video. :lol: Haven't got around to it, but this reminds I should me put that video together some time. I practiced with a CD-R some time back, but it's tricky, you have to use low settings or you melt too fast/sparks will occur with the internal material and you'll get a black smoke with plastic particulate situation. Anyway, as you can figure, I'll be skipping that one in the series... Heh-heh. /end tangent
I understand your hate for XSEED man, but around the time those games (4, ACF, 5) came out they really weren't the same entity you dealt with.  WA 4 is fun to play but the story is a bit blah, soundtrack is epic and the hex system was a neat mechanic.  If you played the earlier games and enjoyed them then you would definitely enjoy the later ones, 5 is like a love letter to fans of the series, and Alter Code F is the definitive way to play the the first game in my opinion. 

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 08/08/2016, 11:55 AMI understand your hate for XSEED man, but around the time those games (4, ACF, 5) came out they really weren't the same entity you dealt with.  WA 4 is fun to play but the story is a bit blah, soundtrack is epic and the hex system was a neat mechanic.  If you played the earlier games and enjoyed them then you would definitely enjoy the later ones, 5 is like a love letter to fans of the series, and Alter Code F is the definitive way to play the the first game in my opinion.
4 was pretty much the worst in the series imo. Buuuut it's still playable and enjoyable enough if you like jrpgs. Like you said, the story is pretty damn weak.

Agree about Alter Code and 5.

NightWolve

Oh, so it started to suck anyway when XSEED took over localization away from Sony ? I'll make a note of that. Heh. Wonder why Sony gave it up after 3.

Gypsy

:lol:

XSeed did bungle the game, it may please you to know.

"In the North American version, two monsters (Dalawa Bunny and Accident Rabbit) were taken out of the game, but not out of the monsters list, making it impossible to finish the game with 100% completion."

I always wondered why Sony handed it off as well, maybe the sales for 3 were poorer than they had hoped for? 3 was a pretty good game too imo, a bit underrated.

NecroPhile

Yesterday's mail brought me a copy of Soldner X2 for the Vita.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 08/09/2016, 09:58 AMYesterday's mail brought me a copy of Soldner X2 for the Vita.
Nice. Let us know if the game is as good as it looks.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/09/2016, 11:27 AM
Quote from: guest on 08/09/2016, 09:58 AMYesterday's mail brought me a copy of Soldner X2 for the Vita.
Nice. Let us know if the game is as good as it looks.
Oh, it is. At least I think so. Good music, fun bosses. I like "Mayan?" temple stone face boss thingy dingy. He's cute. I like the system of challenges in order to unlock extra credits and such as well. Also-also-also hidden keys to unlock more levels as to get dat legit ending or something-something-something(?). Haven't finished it yet. Seems to have a decent amount of replay value. Makes me damned hungry hot.*

*Home Movies ref.

<3

If you wanna get it, I'd go for it soon. Might become as retarded expensive as the original Breach and Clear.
IMG

sirhcman

My first "legitimate" Sega Saturn import game arrived today!  :dance:

/A0SzUIr.jpg

NightWolve

IMG

Today's mail brought me a free sealed copy of "Disgaea: Hour of Darkness" for the PS2 (by Atlus). It was gifted by GameMusicFreak due to him just giving up on some of his PS2 backlog and offering it away for free without even a raffle to anyone that saw his post.

Gypsy

Nice. I probably like Disgaea more than I should, given how refined the later games are in comparison but it's still really fun. Solid gameplay, fun characters etc... I would just...avoid the item world mostly. Too annoying in that one.

I've probably put the most hours into Disgaea 3. Waiting/hoping for Disgaea D2 Vita.

xcrement5x

I randomly went by the local media store last night and stopped in to see if they had anything decent and I was happily surprised!  They're under new management so prices are no longer flat on retro stuff, but they're decently pegged to current listings (or less) so stock is better too.  Plus employees aren't just picking the place over anymore leaving nothing for actual customers, so I found things I wanted!

IMG

I picked up a couple random Genesis titles I didn't have:
Richard Scarry's Busytown (CIB)
Tecmo Super Bowl (CIB)

And saw they finally have some Dreamcast games, lo and behold they actually had a couple titles I needed as well:

Caesar's Palace 2000 (CIB)
18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker (CIB)
The Next Tetris: On-Line Edition(CIB)

All of them are in pretty nice shape too except for a couple small things.  Caesar's Palace has some moderate disc scratching, and they stuck anti-theft tags on 2 manuals, but hopefully that's nothing too difficult to remove.  I've been slowly plugging away at my Dreamcast set for awhile, making gradual process when I can find them cheap enough.

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 08/16/2016, 04:52 PMI randomly went by the local media store last night and stopped in to see if they had anything decent and I was happily surprised!  They're under new management so prices are no longer flat on retro stuff, but they're decently pegged to current listings (or less) so stock is better too.  Plus employees aren't just picking the place over anymore leaving nothing for actual customers, so I found things I wanted!
Is it the Vintage Stock chain? Is it just your local store or all of their stores under new management?!

ToyMachine78

Goodies from BlackBerry Tigers fire sale:

IMG

Thanks BT!

xcrement5x

Quote from: guest on 08/16/2016, 06:47 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/16/2016, 04:52 PMI randomly went by the local media store last night and stopped in to see if they had anything decent and I was happily surprised!  They're under new management so prices are no longer flat on retro stuff, but they're decently pegged to current listings (or less) so stock is better too.  Plus employees aren't just picking the place over anymore leaving nothing for actual customers, so I found things I wanted!
Is it the Vintage Stock chain? Is it just your local store or all of their stores under new management?!
My local store got bought out by Vintage Stock maybe 3-4 months ago I think.  It's a mixed blessing honestly.  Long ago when nobody cared about video games I was able to get amazing deals at that store on older stuff, and that held until about maybe 2011 or so.  Pre-2011 the gaming "boom" wasn't really that big I think, so I could get games super cheap all the time. 

My wife and I would go frequently and spend $20 or something and come home with a bundle of games to mess around with, it created a huge backlog for us, but it was cheaper than going to the movies and just as much fun if not more so.  We really stocked up a lot on PS1/2 games and got some "steals" compared to modern prices, stuff like Haunting Ground for $3, Rule of Rose for about $15 and many more.  Never grabbed the .hack games because I didn't really enjoy the anime and I guess maybe that was a mistake but oh well. 

Oh, and all their "retro" stuff was flat price of $5 for NES and $8 for SNES and N64.  GB/C games were $2 and GBA games were $4 (no Sega though).  Oh the pickings were great and we had a blast every weekend, even got to know some of the gaming staff pretty well.

Anyway, around 2011 they got rid of the dedicated gaming room area with checkout, fired or laid of a lot of good employees I liked (I know several that also just left) and made it less approachable.  After a couple months we also noticed there was really nothing good showing up anymore and we stopped going as frequently.  I discovered later though a local Facebook group that a reseller's wife worked there and was basically buying all the "underpriced" retro games before they hit the floor, making it even less worthwhile to go. 

I stopped going for several years until that 4 months or so ago when I randomly stopped by "just for shits and giggles" and was surprised how much better stock was.  Prices are a bit higher since they're pegged to retail/ebay, but I don't mind that much since now they actually have stuff in stock, plus employees are prevented from buying things until they've been out for like a week. 

Overall I'm pretty happy with the direction they're going now, my only knock would be their trade in values.  I brought in like $50 in various comics one day and they offered me $4 for the whole thing.

sirhcman

I figured it was a V Stock store based on the pricing stickers.. Their pricing can be really good if you scrounge through everything. I would recommend following them on facebook and getting on their e-mail list. They usually run buy 2 get 1 free (sometimes buy 1 get one free) on the used video games. They typically run the sales concurrent with major holidays so I am sure Labor Day weekend will be the next sale. A few of them around me are good for Sega stuff.. I have gotten Saturn model 2 controllers for $4.00 and also got a copy of Three Dirty Dwarves for $35 last year

Usually the worst deals are on the Original Xbox and PS2 stuff, they are typically really high for whatever reason

Gypsy

Yeah I usually always wait for sales at vstock. There have been exceptions though.

The best things to get them on are rare variants and complete Genny/NES/SNES games. They price all of their games the same regardless of condition so while that is horrible when they get in something like Arc the Lad Collection with just the case and discs it is frequently amazing for old cart games because they have to price them at loose prices otherwise the loose carts would never sell. It's really a hell of an oversight on their part.

I used to get pretty good deals on anime box sets there but after I cleaned them out on one of their B2g1 sales (I spent over $200 and got probably around $600 in anime) they soon jacked up their box set prices and surprisingly* they sit and sit and sit.

*I am one of 4 or 5 people in my area that buys anime on a collectard level, I have confirmed this at multiple stores.

Also like sirhcman mentioned, they price Saturn controllers at $5 a pop. Model 1, Model 2, third party, 3D, it does not matter which. I helped a friend out with some last time they had them in, since I already bought more than enough for myself this way.

And yeah their trade-in rates are TERRIBLE. Usually around 10% which is a total joke.

One last thing it is worth going through their loose goose disc bin if you have the time. I have picked up a few $20-50 loose discs for 99 cents to $3 each.

wiseau

Just got a ton of PSP games from walmart, their online store is clearing them out for 3-5 bucks each right now. Not a whole lot left to pick from though

NightWolve

Quote from: Gypsy on 08/16/2016, 08:45 AMNice. I probably like Disgaea more than I should, given how refined the later games are in comparison but it's still really fun. Solid gameplay, fun characters etc... I would just...avoid the item world mostly. Too annoying in that one.

I've probably put the most hours into Disgaea 3. Waiting/hoping for Disgaea D2 Vita.
IMG

Hey, you follow the Nicolas-Cage's-Face-On-Things group given your avatar!!! Hahaha, I zoomed in the image to confirm my suspicion of another Nicolas Cage sighting and was vindicated!

Gypsy

Yes. I love me some Cage face... :lol:

Have you seen....this?

NightWolve

Quote from: Gypsy on 08/19/2016, 08:04 AMYes. I love me some Cage face... :lol:

Have you seen....this?
Heh, no I hadn't.

vmorr

Some pickups from a swap meet today:

/2zf0qyr.jpg

How did Heavy Nova look and sound badass but end up being "terrible"? Also glad I squeezed some deals on Metroid II and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

esteban

Quote from: vmorr on 08/21/2016, 06:54 PMSome pickups from a swap meet today:

/2zf0qyr.jpg

How did Heavy Nova look and sound badass but end up being "terrible"? Also glad I squeezed some deals on Metroid II and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.
I remember the coverage in the old magazines and thinking it was probably going to be a fun game.

GET BLACK HOLE ASSAULT (Sega CD)... One of the few boxed Sega CD games I own.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

Saturday's mail brought me a copy of Quest of Jong Master.  8)

esadajr

Not much going on the McHenryGames front. Analog audio and a downgrade to PII 233. The cable worked great with the CT1600 soundcard.

The PII didnt work, gonna try with another mobo. For now PIII 550 @ 366.

/w533-h947-no
Gaming since 1985

blueraven

Picked up Shovel Knight; cic from a place called CEX for $20. Unplayed.

All in all I'm happy with the game; it's awesome! There needs to me more new titles like this

IMG

NightWolve

Nice! I've been waiting for the next sale to grab on it on Steam myself. Don't ever see myself getting a PS4 (but I'll have to borrow one some time).

xcrement5x

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/22/2016, 11:09 PMNice! I've been waiting for the next sale to grab on it on Steam myself. Don't ever see myself getting a PS4 (but I'll have to borrow one some time).
They released Shovel Knight as a physical on Wii U and 3DS as well, plus they're doing a Vita run later in the year I think.  So, plenty of options.  I played a fair bit of it on the Wii U but haven't finished it yet.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 08/23/2016, 12:00 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 08/22/2016, 11:09 PMNice! I've been waiting for the next sale to grab on it on Steam myself. Don't ever see myself getting a PS4 (but I'll have to borrow one some time).
They released Shovel Knight as a physical on Wii U and 3DS as well, plus they're doing a Vita run later in the year I think.  So, plenty of options.  I played a fair bit of it on the Wii U but haven't finished it yet.
The vita is a limited pre order. It's already for pre order. Can't remember if it was I am eight bit or another similar on line store

blueraven

Thanks! I was actually pretty shocked to see it on the shelf; normally small-run games (at least I assume it is) don't show up for sale in the middle of a tourist area. After talking to a few folks in chat, I went back the next day and it was sitting in the window so I snatched it up. Happy with my inaugural PS4 purchase!

Gypsy

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/23/2016, 12:31 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/23/2016, 12:00 PM
The vita is a limited pre order. It's already for pre order. Can't remember if it was I am eight bit or another similar on line store
It's on fangamer. Still a month or so to pre-order for anyone interested. You do get charged right away.

Medic_wheat

LegendSNES.jpg

Recent pick up. GameSack made it look to fun

NightWolve

Quote from: blueraven on 08/23/2016, 02:17 PM
Thanks! I was actually pretty shocked to see it on the shelf; normally small-run games (at least I assume it is) don't show up for sale in the middle of a tourist area. After talking to a few folks in chat, I went back the next day and it was sitting in the window so I snatched it up. Happy with my inaugural PS4 purchase!
Well, the $9.99 sale I was waiting for came around, but from GOG, not Steam, so I finally bought it!

https://www.gog.com/game/shovel_knight

Get ready for justice, shovel justice!! :)

For Windows PC, it's a 150 MB DirectX game that works fine so far with my USB game pad and Windows 7 64-bit system. It just needed to upgrade the DirectX and VC++ runtimes though.

technozombie

Quote from: NightWolve on 08/26/2016, 03:53 PM
Quote from: blueraven on 08/23/2016, 02:17 PM
Well, the $9.99 sale I was waiting for came around, but from GOG, not Steam, so I finally bought it!

https://www.gog.com/game/shovel_knight

Get ready for justice, shovel justice!! :)

For Windows PC, it's a 150 MB DirectX game that works fine so far with my USB game pad and Windows 7 64-bit system. It just needed to upgrade the DirectX and VC++ runtimes though.
I bought it on sale from GoG awhile back, it's such a good game. I always try purchase DRM free whenever possible.  They have some other 8bit retro style game called Oniken onsale for $1.50 at the moment.

Mathius

I have the Wii U version and playing it with the Plus controller makes it IMO the definitive version. Great level design seems to be a fading skill in newer 2D games but SK is an exception. Mighty #9 should've paid more attention to this game.

technozombie

Quote from: Mathius on 08/27/2016, 11:44 PMI have the Wii U version and playing it with the Plus controller makes it IMO the definitive version. Great level design seems to be a fading skill in newer 2D games but SK is an exception. Mighty #9 should've paid more attention to this game.
The 2 player mode on the Wii U is actually a lot of fun. It was a good addition to an already good game. If this game has 8bit+ graphics, I'd like to see a sequel with 16 bit+ graphics.

NightWolve

Prepare to taste justice...SHOVEL JUSTICE!!
I beat the first level again (as I did at Best Buy when I first played it). I didn't realize how much more it borrowed from Zelda II besides the down-thrust sword attack & bounce as those enemy knights that you had to jump over and attack from behind in a certain, planned way or with the down-thrust are here too! They require a bit more patient strategy over the usual brute force, let's-get-on-with-it way... Nice challenge, but when you're lazy it could easily become frustrating as it was for good ole Zelda II.

It's more than just a nod to classic retro gaming goodness like Megaman, Zelda II, etc. it actually had help from the original Megaman composer, Manami Matsumae, who wrote 2 tracks for it, so FYI!!! That also heavily influenced my decision to buy it even with my backlog and limited playtime.

IMG

Can you dig it ?? I ASK AGAIN, CAN YOU DIG IT???

The last knight that made fun of his shovel, well, he's not laughing anymore, let's just put it that way... :P

Medic_wheat

Heads up people.

Retro Coty Rampage DX is getting a retail PS4 physical release. Pre orders available now.

$30. No more reseller prices.

http://vblank-entertainment.myshopify.com/

esadajr

Not much going on. Got his from a buddy of mine who's saving monies for new tires.
Looks like this unit could work to hookup my Dreamcast VGA to S-Video or component to my Toshiba CRT. So far I only tried with an old PC and an HDTV and it looks fine. I'll be home on Wednesday and try with the CRT.

Lost img1 =w691-h926
Last img2 =w1326-h926
Gaming since 1985

xcrement5x

Quote from: esadajr on 08/29/2016, 10:07 AMNot much going on. Got his from a buddy of mine who's saving monies for new tires.
Looks like this unit could work to hookup my Dreamcast VGA to S-Video or component to my Toshiba CRT. So far I only tried with an old PC and an HDTV and it looks fine. I'll be home on Wednesday and try with the CRT.

/w691-h926-no
Your pictures do not seem to work.

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 08/29/2016, 02:56 PMYour pictures do not seem to work.
i can see them just fine..

NecroPhile

I can't see 'em either.  It appears you have to be signed in to google to view 'em.

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 08/29/2016, 03:11 PMI can't see 'em either.  It appears you have to be signed in to google to view 'em.
I can't see them as well and I am signed into google. The plot thickens.

NecroPhile

Gotta be invited to view?  All I know is I'm like Shultz and I see nothing.

The family's old Atari 2600 has come home to roost with me.  It's a four switch woody model with a couple paddles (borked), a pair of third party joysticks (also borked), a covered storage thing, two game folder thingies, and a few games (see below).  After cleaning, two still aren't working.  :|

Asteroids
Barnstorming
Centipede
Combat (DOA)
Crash Dive
Defender (DOA)
Donkey Kong
ET
Frogger
Journey Escape
Jungle Hunt
Kangaroo
M*A*S*H
Missile Command
Pac Man
Pitfall
Q*Bert
Stampede
Super Breakout (seems to work, but I've no paddles with which to fully test)
Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back
Towering Inferno
Wizard of Wor

esadajr

Interesting, maybe the big G doesnt like hot linking anymore. Ill try again tomorrow. Thanks.
Gaming since 1985

esadajr

IIrc you can even perform surgery in the MASH game. Thats how complete it is.
Gaming since 1985

sirhcman

esadajr

Ok, so this is the unit I was talking about the other day. The KW-PCTV-1600, VGA input then an output of either RGB, Component, S-Video and Composite. Tomorrow I'll try and see if it works with a Dreamcast and a Toshiba CRT (480i component input) and see if it's any better than using the regular composite cable.

IMG

This time I'm using flickr and http instead of https
Gaming since 1985

Gypsy

Showing up fine now. Looks pretty cool.

NecroPhile

Its design makes me think of the ten key pad.   :mrgreen:

DQ187

Got ahold of this SNES sign recently! :) has been my favorite console since i was a kid! Was really happy to finally get this!

SNES-LEDSign.jpg