OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Paul

Altered Beast HU vs CD

/alteredbeastcomp.png

exodus

a lot of the detail changes in stage 1 are odd - they don't seem to be hardware constraints - they just...felt like redoing it?

Joe Redifer

They wanted the CD users to think that they were getting soooooo much more for choosing the NEC CD platform.  That way CD users could brag that their version has an extra cloud or something and then HuCard users would get crazy jealous and go buy the CD unit.

esteban

Quote from: exodus on 03/08/2010, 03:45 AMa lot of the detail changes in stage 1 are odd - they don't seem to be hardware constraints - they just...felt like redoing it?
Basically, I believe that the developers were forward-thinking pioneers: they wanted folks (like ourselves) to speculate on message boards about Altered Beast...so they devised a plan to make the HuCard and CD versions slightly different.

This means, therefore, that the developers anticipated the internet (as we know it today).

That, my friend, is awesome.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TurboXray

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/08/2010, 07:54 PMThey wanted the CD users to think that they were getting soooooo much more for choosing the NEC CD platform.  That way CD users could brag that their version has an extra cloud or something and then HuCard users would get crazy jealous and go buy the CD unit.
On a serious note, it could have been that two different dev teams were working on these titles. Shared resources, but not specifically had to be identical. I read somewhere that SMB for the famicom and the hardware were developed around the same time, but by two different teams (not sure if they shared team members or not).

awack

Street Fighter Alpah2

Arcade                                                                    Snes
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

IMG IMG

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Joe Redifer

saintfu

Quote from: Tatsujin on 03/19/2010, 10:21 PMarcade looks better!
I think SFZ2 is suitable for 32bit generation consoles such as PS and Sega Saturn. SNES version loses a lot of details due to the low resolution.

Tatsujin

Quote from: saintfu on 03/21/2010, 01:16 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 03/19/2010, 10:21 PMarcade looks better!
I think SFZ2 is suitable for 32bit generation consoles such as PS and Sega Saturn. SNES version loses a lot of details due to the low resolution.
you are very right.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

turbogrfxfan

I like the pce version better cause its brighter the nes version looks like its dead.  I get bored looking at it.
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

blueraven

awack

I was practicing making maps and thought you guys might like to see some of them, decided to make some snes maps for fun.

pcengine on top except for the boxing ring.
IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

Pcengine on bottom

IMG

IMG

ParanoiaDragon

IMG

Arkhan Asylum

yeah the home Alpha 2 of choice for me is the Playstation one.

screw the SNES one.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Ceti Alpha

IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Arkhan Asylum

yes there is definitely no comparison for this one, lol
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

awack

Pc engine on top, now, someone needs to do Streetfighter 2 8-[

IMG

NecroPhile

The PCE version looks better pretty much everywhere except for the shadows on the floor of the boxing ring.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

awack

awack

saintfu

For Parodius, both PCE and SNES version use 8M rom size, however, I think PCE cannot compete with SNES this time. SNES win the graphics, color, sound effect, and music. Parodius is a very successful reprogramming game on SNES.

shubibiman

There's much less difference than I remembered.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

lord_cack

I think that the Parodius graphics on the PCE are more vibrant. The SNES colors seem muddied and washed out. PCE for me
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

awack

lord_cack

In stills, PCE's all better. More detailed star field in the Background... colors still washed out on the snes version....

Ceti Alpha

It's a close comparison, but I agree with lord_cack that the SNES is a bit washed out.
IMG

turbogrfxfan

lets do another comparison.  lemme take a crap and compare that to the snes.  which one looks better?  Hmmmmmmm  looks like my crap has more detail...........lol  pce/tg16 RULES!!!!
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

_Paul

I'm surprised how similar they are. Most of the PCE colours look nicer, although that bird boss has horrible green shading and is much better on the SNES.

esteban

I think both PCE and SNES Parodius look great...

BUT SNES VERSION LACKS ABILITY TO PLAY AS PCE CONSOLE, so it loses a point :)

awack

Reading the GNG thread over at the digital press forums, something comes up that Ive heard a few times before, that something is... Super Ghouls n Ghost proves that the snes could do a much better port of Ghouls and Ghost than the pathetic SG or Genesis, so i decided to take some shots to see for myself.

If anyone has better shots of either game, post em.

DAMAGED SNES SHOTS - REPAIR SOME DAY ??

GnG SuperGrafx                                     Super GnG  SNES
IMG IMG
IMG  IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

lord_cack

:?

How does one make that comparison. Thats like saying, I think the PCE would make a much better version of Ghosts and Goblins than that POS NES did, I'll show yah....  #-o

Point not valid

Tatsujin

Ones didn't get the full point of this thread i guess ;)

Mathius

I just had to chime in on the Parodius Da! screenshots before you guys completely moved on. This is a comparison IMHO where it seems to be a tie. I think both versions are gorgeous masterpieces. I would be proud to own both. :)

Tatsujin

one major problem with the PCE is its missing of two stages (due to limited huey size). and 2nd, there are also almost no parallaxes used.

in contrary, and even the SFC parodius runs surprisingly smooth (regarding its hardware deficit), the PCE takes the 1st place in this category with ease.

Mathius

I am bidding on a stateside copy of the PCE version, so keeping my fingers crossed that soon I'll be playing this classic. [-o&lt; I mentioned in another thread how I was surprised by the fact that ALL versions of the Parodius series seem to be pretty affordable. Hope no idiot eBayers come along to ruin that for everybody. Here is that link again for this great article on the parodius series in case anybody missed out.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/parodius/

nectarsis

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/27/2010, 11:54 PMone major problem with the PCE is its missing of two stages (due to limited huey size)
Damn 2 whole stages missing  :-s #-o  ](*,)  Still a supremely fun game.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

blueraven

I'll take the fifth on GNG. Looks like a cool game though.

SuperDeadite

Super GnG may look better in screenshots.  But in game, the SG GnG is way better.  The SNES game really lacks in animation.  Ever seen SGnG's Ice Demon boss?  It has 2 frames of animation yes, just 2!  SGnG is also a really slow game.  SG GnG has much better animation and runs about 2x faster then SGnG.  SGnG is boring to be honest. So damn slow....
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Joe Redifer

Agreed.  Ghouls n' Ghosts on almost any system is a better game than Super Ghouls n' Ghosts.

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/28/2010, 09:03 PMAgreed.  Ghouls n' Ghosts on almost any system is a better game than Super Ghouls n' Ghosts.
Yeah, it was always my least favorite. Ghosts 'N Goblins on the NES has the most nostalgic pull over me, so it's my fav.

termis

Yeah, I feel the same way about Super GnG (slow & tedious gameplay, plagued by slowdown, etc), but most seem to like that version for some odd reason.

Tatsujin

Daimakaimura arcade is the best of all of em ever made! period.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/29/2010, 07:57 AMDaimakaimura arcade is the best of all of em ever made! period.
For realz! There's only one better, and that's Makaimura.
IMG

Mathius

Quote from: ceti alpha on 05/29/2010, 08:22 AM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/29/2010, 07:57 AMDaimakaimura arcade is the best of all of em ever made! period.
For realz! There's only one better, and that's Makaimura.
I have been playing its american arcade counterpart on Capcoms Classics Collection Vol. 1. Ah, the memories.

Arkhan Asylum

I like the SGFX ones music more, but thats because I like the PSG > FM in general usually, lol.

JoshTurboTrollX

You guys are all on crack, the SNES Super Ghouls n' Ghosts was excellent!  The music was so amazing, great level design, awesome graphics, and was just as challenging as the others.  Boring?  What?  Are we looking at the same game?

I think its a very well done game, just as good as the SGX and Gennies GnG games, I was very happy to see the series get a proper third game.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

geise

Yeah I love the SNES Super Ghouls n Ghosts.  Graphically, and musically it's an amazing game.  Yes it's slower, but it was an SNES launch title.  Most games during launch suffered from slow down.  I do however hate the fact that you can't shoot up or down like in Daimakaimura.  That does limit the gameplay some.  However I do feel that Super Ghouls in Ghosts was a great game.  If it's one that I hate it's the PSP version.  Why everything had to be 3d polygons was rediculous.  It made the game play very stiff.