10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michirin9801

The SMS and NES versions of Chuka Taisen look closer to the arcade, but I think the PC engine version looks even better than the arcade...

gilbert

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 08/15/2017, 12:43 AMbut I think the PC engine version looks even better than the arcade...
The PCE version was supposed to be an enhanced conversion, similar to Hot B's another game Insector X, where the arcade version featured cute deformed characters, while the Mega Drive port had realistic mecha bugs, though this port was considered horrible by many, and not as good as the Famicom version. Another game I have in mind that enhanced the arcade version a lot was the Mega Drive version of Chelnov/Atomic Runner.

I think most of the graphics in the PCE version of Chuunka Taisen look better, at least more consistent in style. IMO the dragon boss in the arcade version looks really bad and out of place, and surprisingly even the Famicom and SMS versions of it look better. I couldn't make up my mind on the animated backgrounds in the boss sections of the PCE version, though, as they now look much more dynamic, but become repetitive and lose some of the charms of the original backgrounds.
(Because of these clouds, I once thought this game shared some staff with Coryoon and PC Denjin, but it doesn't seem to be correct.)

esteban

Quote from: gilbert on 08/15/2017, 02:09 AM
Quote from: Michirin9801 on 08/15/2017, 12:43 AMbut I think the PC engine version looks even better than the arcade...
The PCE version was supposed to be an enhanced conversion, similar to Hot B's another game Insector X, where the arcade version featured cute deformed characters, while the Mega Drive port had realistic mecha bugs, though this port was considered horrible by many, and not as good as the Famicom version. Another game I have in mind that enhanced the arcade version a lot was the Mega Drive version of Chelnov/Atomic Runner.

I think most of the graphics in the PCE version of Chuunka Taisen look better, at least more consistent in style. IMO the dragon boss in the arcade version looks really bad and out of place, and surprisingly even the Famicom and SMS versions of it look better. I couldn't make up my mind on the animated backgrounds in the boss sections of the PCE version, though, as they now look much more dynamic, but become repetitive and lose some of the charms of the original backgrounds.
(Because of these clouds, I once thought this game shared some staff with Coryoon and PC Denjin, but it doesn't seem to be correct.)
I love Chelnov/Atomic Runner...but I mostly played the arcade version. I need to spend time with the MegaDrive port, I remember reading a positive review of it years ago.

ASIDE: I think it is amusing that mobile gaming resuscitated genres like the "forced scrolling platform/run-n-gun"....I never saw that coming. I guess these games are passé now in the mobile market, but they were very popular for a few years (first few years of iPhone). Of course, mobile gaming rejuvenated a bunch of "dead" genres...but I never thought I'd see my kids playing modern games that were even *marginally* similar to Chelnov.

BACK ON TOPIC: Dragon Boss...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Psycho Punch

Esteban, you should really play ☭ Atomic Runner CHELNOV ~Nuclear Man, The Fighter~ in its mega drive iteration, it really shows the jump between an era where the programmers are also the artists vs. professional pixel artists.

IMG

vs.

IMG

ps: Mega Drive Insector X, eww.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Ashevent

I don't have anything credible to add. Just wanted to say this thread is amazing. ..lol.

I do find the difference between the TG16/TGCD and some other systems to be less muted colors than many other systems but..what do I know?

NightWolve

Quote from: Ashevent on 06/01/2023, 11:26 PMI don't have anything credible to add. Just wanted to say this thread is amazing. ..lol.

I do find the difference between the TG16/TGCD and some other systems to be less muted colors than many other systems but..what do I know?
Glad you appreciate it!

I did a lot of grunt work to bring it into the modern era:
1) Built custom post buttons to speed up the process of adding "width=49%" dynamic image resizing for the 2 side-by-side image shots that awack did, I did EVERY post here!
2) awack used Photobucket which watermarks their shared images, but I made a special script to counter that, download/show a clean image AND then I returned for another idea to simply cache ALL Photobucket images shared on PCEFX so they're never lost! Over 11,000 Photobucket images are now permanently hosted here https://www.pcengine-fx.com/images/cache/ and will never be lost or watermarked now!

It's looking a lot better and the new theme already handles mobile adjustments for viewing on a phone. Still, this forum software is outdated, but I'm here, paid for the web space for 10 years, might as well research improvements to carry PCEFX legacy on as best I can.