@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

REPAIR GUIDE - TG16 CD/PCE CD Laser Swap Guide (pictorial)

Started by BlackandBlue, 07/19/2009, 08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesteve

turbokon

Quote from: thesteve on 02/14/2012, 12:10 PMcaps first
adjustment may not be needed
I replaced all the caps except for the bipolar ones since I didn't have any. Now the CD just spin with no video and sound. I double checked everything and didn't see a cap with reversed polarity or anything. So now I'm gonna try adjusting the pots. Any idea on what the values should be? I know I've seen a chart for pots readings for the duo but not the TG-CD.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

thesteve

they should be about the same, but will vary from one to another

turbokon

With this guide and the help from thesteve, I was able to get my tgcd working flawlessly now. Thanks!!
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

herr-g

Thank you for this guide. It was a practical assistance for my laser pickup replacement.

FiftyQuid

Quote from: BlackandBlue on 07/19/2009, 09:00 PMIMG
https://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/boostedk20a/Laser%20guide/extra_02.jpg
BlackandBlue, if I wanted to replace only the spindle will any spindle do ?  Sony Discman's are selling for a whopping $3.99 at my local neighborhood services.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

BlackandBlue

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 06/07/2012, 11:25 AMBlackandBlue, if I wanted to replace only the spindle will any spindle do?  Sony Discman's are selling for a whopping $3.99 at my local neighbourhood services.
For $4, I would give it a shot.  I can't promise it will fit, but I also don't see them making too many different size shafts on CD drive motors.  Worse case, you could most likely switch the spindle motor out as well from the donor, as long as it fits and the specifications are the same (voltage/rpm).
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

BlueBMW

Ive swapped spindle posts before with the self locking type.  They work fine but you have to remove the lid clamp mechanism.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

thesteve

the motor shaft is standard on most spindle motors

FiftyQuid

Thanks guys!  I'm definitely picking one of these up.  I use to work at RadioShack back in '99 and we sold these things for $149-$249.  It's hard to believe they are worth a massive $4 nowadays.  It'd cost you $8 just to put batteries in it.

So is it this picture I need to follow to replace the spindle ?

IMG
https://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/boostedk20a/Laser%20guide/pic_17.jpg

Do I need to mark the spindle for alignment purposes or is it much easier than what I'm making it out to be?

thesteve

if it just the spindle, not the motor, it pulls off.
as for alignment the hight is the only concern.
(cant dee the pic from here)

FiftyQuid

Sorry, but what do you mean "it pulls off".  That doesn't sound good.

thesteve

its a press fit on the motor.
just open the lid, place 2 screwdrivers under it and pry it up evenly.
try to keep your pressure near the center

FiftyQuid

Quote from: thesteve on 06/07/2012, 05:04 PMits a press fit on the motor.
just open the lid, place 2 screwdrivers under it and pry it up evenly.
try to keep your pressure near the center
Get the hell out of here.  Serious?  There are no screws holding it in place?  So I take it the replacement will most likely be press fit too?  My mind is slightly blown here.

BlueBMW

Yep its like steve says.  They pull off and press on.  Just be careful to keep your prying force even so you dont bent the spindle.

If you need pics or video of how to do it, let me know.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

FiftyQuid

Alright, I'll give it a try.  Maybe I'll buy two of those $4 CD players from neighbourhood services...just in case. :)

Duo_R

Who still sells either of the lasers for the Turbo CD's these days? Looks like Electronix won't ever stock these again.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

thesteve

Duo_R

anyone have a spare "snap-in" cd spindle that would work for either my PC Engine CD-rom unit or a Duo unit?
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

celestria

i have a tg16 cd rom system that is in need of repair and im looking for someone to help , my good friend nightwolve pointed me out this way.

thesteve

welcome
chop5, me, bluebmw, keithcourage, likely a few others can fix it for ya.
chop and keith sell DIY gear kits
bmw has new lasers

celestria

let me go over fund or swap msn addys and well get to business around end of month would love to have this unit fixed

Dr.Wily

Hello,

There is a place to find KSS-220a laser ? I have two CD-ROM unit with dead laser and no solution to find replacement. Any tips ?

Thanks

thesteve

LostFlunky

Quote from: thesteve on 10/08/2012, 03:20 PMwe have a different laser that works KSS225A
Do you happen to know if anyone has tried the KSS-320B?  It certainly looks like it would be a drop in replacement, although the pics I have seen show the thinner cable as being shorter.

Nec.Game.head

Just did an overhaul on my Tg16 cd player .. Everything went perfectly .. Gears cleaned and re greased !!! This baby is playing way smooth now, no more skipping what so ever !!! Gonna try to get my hands on an extra KS220A laser to save for a future laser swap, once this laser finally dies ..Thank you so much BlackandBlue for posting up this pictorial laser swap guide =D&gt; !!! It was super easy to follow and the pics just made it that much easier to accomplish !!!
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

BlueBMW

Ive got spare replacement lasers if you need one.

King_Vidiot

sorry wrong thread

retrobits

First off, thanks to all who have contributed to this site and this thread.  Without this info I would be nowhere.

I'm trying to get my TG 16 CD spinning again.  Swapped the old gear with a Keith Courage replacement and also the original laser with a new KSS-225A.

Now it plays CDs (YES!), but only if the drive is tilted or upside down.  I can hear the disc rubbing against the floor of the drive when its right side up.  When I raise the spindle the drive skips more.  I've tried carefully adjusting the pots but the factory settings seem yield the best results (the least amount of skipping). 

How do you guys know the height the spindle should be?

I've tried replacing the original spindle with newer clip type but the motor shaft seems too short and I can't raise the spindle high enough to not drag the disc.  Maybe I need a different motor?

thanks for your help...

retrobits

OK, I fiddled around a little more tonight and discovered that it will play my audio discs almost perfectly now if I jam a little piece of paper here as shown:

IMG

I'm thinking now that its not the spindle at all, rather something is bent or not assembled correctly.  I'd like to figure out the root cause.  Maybe tomorrow I'll take everything apart again and rebuild.  I am so close... just this mechanical problem. 

There is a disturbance in the force!

IMG

EDIT: just to finish my story, I took everything apart and carefully re-assembled.  Nothing is bent that I can detect.  I put the paper back in.  Then I adjusted the pots for a while.  The last 2 pots on the far right (when looking straight into the headphone jack) made the most difference.  Approx 1/8th turn counter-clockwise on both.   Now the unit reads CDs and CDRs without skipping, even while tapping on the side.  I'm thinking now the paper shim is not that bad of a solution.  I just colored it black!  +1 for the dark side.

thesteve

when you put the screws holding the springs in there are plastic washers used to adjust the position (height) of the mech
you just need to move/install washer

retrobits

Thanks for pointing out the real solution.  My unit did have a single washer installed on one of the spring posts, which I was a little confused about.  I'll pick up some replacements and do some experimenting.

Keith Courage

There is only one washer installed by default on the post closest to the center of the drive. The other posts do not have washers from the factory.

retrobits

Yes, the center post is where the washer is currently installed.

I did find some replacement fiber washers at Home Depot and am getting ready to get into it again. 

Also, I took apart a dead Gamecube and found what appears to be the perfect spindle.  The hole for the motor shaft extends out from the bottom of the spindle a little so it will press-fit fully onto the shaft.  The other spindles I've tried were just barely mounted on the end of the motor shaft and seemed quite fragile.  If the fiber washers don't work out I will try this.

While its open I thought I should apply some lube. I really don't want to use automotive grease (in any case, I don't have any).  So I also picked up some "Super Lube" silicon grease (Quote from product description: Super Lube Silicone Lubricating Grease with Syncolon® (PTFE) has a wider operating range than petroleum based lubricants; Excellent water protection and moisture barrier. Use on Plastic gears, plastic threads, as a damping medium for Dash Pots, lubricate O-Rings, electrical motor bearings and rubber components. Silicone Lubricating Grease withstands temperatures from -40°F to 500°F.)  It looks pretty good for this application.  Anyone here ever use a similar grease on TGCD?

raylyd

max 330 mega

i put the replacement gear KC sent me in my turbo cd, but also could not get the tiny screw on the metal plate to remove like some others ive seen have had issue with, so used straight snips to cut it off as flat as i could. reassembled unit, get plenty of RRRRRRRRRR noise, smacked it one time which made the laser meet its end point which actually got it to spin the cd, but no music still. have also opened the unit while it was chirping away to itself and didnt see the laser moving. any ideas? should i just send this to someone and have them fix it? honestly the process was very annoying to me, this was my first time messing with a cd drive. im used to working on arcade machines and replacing caps and what not, but this was a bit too small for my giant shaky hands.
Blast away and go go go!!!

thesteve

if you reversed the motor wires (as instructed) the sled is binding or gears not meshing.
roll the motor gear by hand to move the laser sled and the issue should become quite apparent

Keith Courage

Max 330 Mega

Sounds to me like you might need to turn your motor upside down. Don't know how or why but in very few instances that new gear doesn't match up perfectly and I think it's either because the lens motor itself is not perfectly straight or the plastic it mounts to isn't. Anyways, I find that turning the motor upside down usually fixes this issue. If not then a shim can be used but I hardly doubt you would need that. I mentioned this briefly in my gear change tutorial.

gamedoctorhk

I can get a new version cd lens for work on PC-Engine CD Rom2 consoles , but need to change the connect cable .. I have changed one on my CD Rom2 already .. very very fast load game

ctophil

Hi everyone,

Does anybody still have an extra KSS-220A or KSS-225A laser you can sell me or know a U.S. web site I can get one at?  Those lasers are pretty hard to find.  Seems like they are only available in Europe or Canada these days.  I wouldn't mind having one, since my Turbo CD Unit has been loading kinda slow on some games.  Thanks!

Ripthorn

EDIT: Sorry, double post + wrong thread  ](*,)

graffias79

I keep scouring thrift stores when I get the chance trying to harvest KSS' and HOP-M3s.  :twisted:

secnine

I recently rolled the dice on an as-is a US tg-16 with cdrom, it powers on, PC,  all LEDs work, runs the hue card, detects lid opening , and the gear seems to operate smoothly, but no disc spin, it appears to be a KS220A from what i can tell, i was totally surprised it even powers on , being manufactured in january 1990 , when i was just 5 years old :) , so i still think i got a good deal considering the base system still plays hucards fine including the carry case and r-type..

I found a classified add on ebay offering repair including Replacement of lens gears, capacitors, lens motor replacement, broken wiring or connections, and potentiometer adjustment.  - $55  USD  An extra $25 will be added if you need a replacement CD lens.

for $80 + you pay shipping there and back... , compared to what other people would pay or offer do you think this is a fair price(with ebay fees of course)  + you handling shipping to and from?

Wouldn't you replace the lens and motor would all be one unit ? ..

~ let me know what you guys think.. or if there's any counter offers, id be interested to hear from the experts if this is fair.

+ctophil , did you find any US seller ? i can try this out service out and see what happens..

thesteve

a few things
odds are that ebay repair service is keith courage on here (without the ebay fees)
the drive has 2 motors and the laser unit all separate.
cd drive start order needs to be checked
open lid
no disc
use something to hold the lid switch (tooth pick)
press play
laser sled should move to center then the lens should bob
laser should be visible on lens
if the sled doesnt move its most likely the gear stuck/broken (motor failure second possible)
the system will stop and wait for each step to occur before moving on to the next

secnine

thanks steve, always helpful, yea i get nothing , no sled move , no laser light , no movement..

that is great news to hear its a community member, im a lil more confident now..

ctophil

Quote from: secnine on 11/09/2014, 02:35 PM+ctophil , did you find any US seller ? i can try this out service out and see what happens..
I didn't find a U.S. seller, but I was able to salvage a laser from a good condition Sony Discman for my Turbografx-CD Unit.  It's working great now.

I had a separate thread about my laser repair adventures here if you want to read it. 
:-)   https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=17740.0

maverick1978

<snip> moved to separate thread

hardgb

I'm having trouble with my CD-ROM2 drive. I managed to make the change with the gears (before there were 3 gears and now has only two gears) but when I connect the drive, the laser down and does not return. And so the CD does not rotate, can anyone help me? Please :cry:
Note: Forgive me, my English is horrible.

falz

My US Duo now has issues reading burned discs. A few months ago I could use general newer crappy CD-Rs but they had minor issues - the disc read/head moving seemed louder than with a 'real' disc, and the background music wouldnt repeat. After not much time, it just wouldnt load those at all any more (black screen).

It was suggested that I try better discs, so I bought "CMC Pro TY Technology" and the first two I burned worked great at first. I got several stages in to Rondo of Blood for example. However, when  went to quit/save game I just got a black screen. Attempts to load that burned disc didnt work after that at all.

I placed an order for a HOP-M3 from some random ebay seller, which I presume is some chinese knockoff. Anyone have success stories with those reading burned discs vs the original pickups? Are they better/worse or just a crapshoot?

Curious if I should even bother attempting to adjust POTS on the current original system OR just swap in the new laser when it arrives.

farankoshan

Hi! Just noticed... are the photos hosted on photobucket? Does this mean to be able to view the photos, we need to pay USD$10 with photobucket?

Just wanted to make sure my browser wasn't screwing up.
"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)