@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

My TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine chiptune music...

Started by FraGMarE, 04/05/2017, 08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FraGMarE

JoshTurboTrollX

tears are flowing at the beauty!  Thank you so much!  These are spectacular!!

CAN YOU DO PLOK or TURRICAN!?!!??

;)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

PukeSter

Pretty phenomenal stuff fragmare, some nice proof of how powerful the soundchip is

Surprising how close the Simon's Theme remix is to the original

roflmao

If these forums had a "Like" button, I'd click it. :)

seieienbu

None of these use sampled instruments, correct?  Do you think you might try some tunes with sampled drums/etc in the future?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Groover

That is so much fun to listen to. I will have to check out the development section more often. Thanks for sharing.
IMG

Michirin9801

FraGMarE

Thanks, folks.  More stuff on the way.  Currently working on Tragedy Flame from the Raiden II OST, right now.

Ex_Mosquito

Very nice! I saw these on YouTube recently. Is it possible to play these on real hardware with an Everdrive?

FraGMarE

Quote from: Ex_Mosquito on 04/06/2017, 07:09 PMVery nice! I saw these on YouTube recently. Is it possible to play these on real hardware with an Everdrive?
Yea, for sure!  You guys want me to put up the links to the HES ROMs?

elmer

Quote from: seieienbu on 04/05/2017, 06:12 PMNone of these use sampled instruments, correct?  Do you think you might try some tunes with sampled drums/etc in the future?
Some of them are PSG-only, and some include samples ... mostly (exclusively?) for drums.

If you go to the Deflemask forums, fragmare has been absolutely wonderful about posting the original .dmf files so that folks can load them up into Deflemask and see exactly how he's creating his magic.

Michirin9801 has been brilliant about posting her .dmf files, too ... for the last two+ years now.

If it wasn't for the passion of these two musicians to create new PCE music, we wouldn't be so close to having a Deflemask player for use in homebrew games.  :wink:

Michirin9801

Quote from: Ex_Mosquito on 04/06/2017, 07:09 PMVery nice! I saw these on YouTube recently. Is it possible to play these on real hardware with an Everdrive?
Very much so! Although the format you try it with might wield different results...
Deflemask's own .hes exports sound fine on Mednafen, but they have several problems running on Nezplug and on other emulators, I'm unsure what they'd sound like on the TED but I've heard somewhere that they're not advisable...

The other format is a .pce rom, which is only possible thanks to elmer's hard work on his Huzak sound driver and the DMF2PCE converter which he's been working on a little while back, I've included some PCE roms in my (not so) recent album and I have reason to believe that they'll play fine on your TED because they work wonders on all the emulators I tried them with (although of course, they sound best on Mednafen)
I don't remember whether or not elmer has made .pce roms of Fragmare's music though, the thing is that Huzak currently doesn't support samples...

FraGMarE

Ok, folks, here are all the ROM files.  These should work fine on Mednafen and Ootake.  They SHOULD work on real hardware too, assuming it fits on your EverDrive.  The Tempest 2000 cover has a lot of voice samples and longer drum samples, so it's kinda hefty (584kb?) and most of the tracks use fairly HQ samples (which i could downsample, if i wanted to).  The HES files Deflemask makes are notoriously un-optimized for any kind of game usage, and probably bigger than they need to be (148KB for the CV4 track?  really!?  there aren't even any samples!), but they *should* theoretically play fine on real hardware.  How about you all be my guinea pigs and let me know if they sound ok or not?     :lol:

>> Sendspace Link for TEH ROMZ  <<

geise

No problem being a guinea pig.  I will find time to test this weekend.  Thank you for all of these.  They are amazing! CV4 I like more than the original and I love the original.

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Digi.k

the tempest 2000 track is amazing and sounds great on real hardware,  I've captured it on elgato capture card

Recorded from everdrive and coregrafx

esteban

Quote from: Digi.k on 04/11/2017, 10:42 PMthe tempest 2000 track is amazing and sounds great on real hardware,  I've captured it on elgato capture card

Recorded from everdrive and coregrafx
Nice. :)

FraGMarE

Awesome!  :)  That was the only track I was worried might not play, since the samples make the ROM size relatively huge.  Nice to hear it on the real hardware

FraGMarE

esteban

"Tragedy Flame" is indeed a wonderful track.

Now do "Depression" for me because I am a selfish bastard.

Thank you!

:)

FraGMarE

Michirin9801

Great job Fragmare ^^
I'm still kinda 'eh on that wavetable though >w>';

FraGMarE

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 08/10/2017, 10:37 PMGreat job Fragmare ^^
I'm still kinda 'eh on that wavetable though >w>';
Thanks.  I'm 'eh on a lot of things...

I think what you're looking for is a sample from the beginning of the original Genesis waveform... It's actually 2 waveforms playing from 2 different channels.  One channel is the YM2612 and the other channel is the SN chip (both playing the same note).  It starts out rather noisy and then smooths out via waveform phasing.  It changes and pitch slides downward simultaneously.  The first waveform you heard was sampled from near the end of the (combined) waveform.  The one I'm using now is sampled from the near the middle.  I sampled one from the beginning and it was similar in timbre to your custom wavetable you sent me.

esteban

Quote from: fragmare on 08/10/2017, 08:50 PMBlast process THIS shit, motherfuckers

Streets of Rage 2 - Go Straight (Normal Mix)
Hell yes!

Once my guests leave, this will be blasting at my desk (subwoofer + decent speakers)...

Until then, as I sit on the toilet, typing this post, I could hear how fantastic it is...

...but I know that there is *more*

Koop

very interesting... The download link from the previous page doesn't seem to work anymore, could you provide it again? Would love to test it out on the actual hardware.

roflmao

FraGMarE

Michirin9801

Now I'm no longer 'eh on that Wavetable ;3

ccovell

Fragmare, how on earth did you do that amazing bass in your Gaiares cover?  Share your secrets with us!  [-o&lt;

FraGMarE

Quote from: ccovell on 08/26/2017, 01:12 AMFragmare, how on earth did you do that amazing bass in your Gaiares cover?  Share your secrets with us!  [-o&lt;
Haha, check out this guy... postin' my new chiptunes to my own thread before I even get a chance.  :P

Glad you like it, Chris!  :)  The percussion is just a few tiny samples, the bassline and leads are wavetables.  This track is insanely simple.  It only uses 4 waveforms, plus the percussion.  Very elegant in its composition.

Michirin9801

Nice job Fragmare ^^
But umm, as I've already commented in the video, you seem to have sampled your drums from FM, and I kind of don't get why... I mean, if you're gonna use samples, why not use proper drum samples? I get that you're going for accuracy, but FM drums for the most part are just kind of 'eh >w>';
Personally, I think even the PSG drums the PCE can produce without samples are better, but whatever, you do you...

FraGMarE

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 08/26/2017, 01:30 PMNice job Fragmare ^^
But umm, as I've already commented in the video, you seem to have sampled your drums from FM, and I kind of don't get why... I mean, if you're gonna use samples, why not use proper drum samples? I get that you're going for accuracy, but FM drums for the most part are just kind of 'eh >w>';
Personally, I think even the PSG drums the PCE can produce without samples are better, but whatever, you do you...
I disagree.  The FM percussion in Gaiares is amazing, imo, and anything but the original percussion just wouldn't sound like Gaiares.  Not everything needs lollified into a frothy meringue of cuteness... I like my music bassy, aggressive and angry.

esteban

Goddamn! I'm out with my kids and I don't have my headphones...so I can't listen to this yet.

LATER!

Michirin9801

Quote from: fragmare on 08/26/2017, 06:32 PMI disagree.  The FM percussion in Gaiares is amazing, imo, and anything but the original percussion just wouldn't sound like Gaiares.  Not everything needs lollified into a frothy meringue of cuteness... I like my music bassy, aggressive and angry.
It's okay, I respect your opinion...

If you don't mind it, I'm gonna cover some cutesy J-poppy bubble-gummy music on the PC engine ;3

FraGMarE

esteban

Quote from: fragmare on 09/04/2017, 04:29 PMSome more shit for you to BLAST PROCESS  ;)

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Chemical Plant Zone
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Chemical Plant Zone HES ROM
Goddamn! Such a great tune, now for the PCE!

xcrement5x

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Dicer

ParanoiaDragon

IMG

FraGMarE

esteban

Ok, I can't deny that there is something unique and warm and fuzzy with PCE PSG percussion (however limited it may sound compared to sampled drums)....

I really like Mission 5 with PSG drums.

I wouldn't say it is the *only* way to go, though, since we know our stalwart PCE is quite capable with samples (and, I would argue, enough of the "essential PCE PSG" is maintained when samples are used).

That said, MOAR MUSIC

Michirin9801

FraGMarE

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 09/07/2017, 02:27 PMPCE PSG > YM2612 all day, every day!
Ehhh... only on Wednesdays.  And one Sunday every month.

Dicer

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 09/07/2017, 02:27 PMPCE PSG > YM2612 all day, every day!
Preach, I never cared for the wet fart in a tin can sound of the latter...

FraGMarE

Michirin9801

The Kick and Toms are still fine, don't know if I prefer the previous or this version, but they were already good before, and are still good, as for the Snare, it's a heck of a lot better! Still not quite what I'd do... But eh, your song, you do what you want with it...

esteban

Quote from: fragmare on 09/08/2017, 04:25 PMSlight update.  New snare, tuned toms and refined kickbass.  Now, let's all nitpick!
HOLY SHITE!!!!!!!

The "bridge"(?) @00:34 in this song from Gaiares reminds me SO MUCH of a segment from the NINJA WARRIORS main tune that it's not even funny.

I can't believe I never noticed that before.
Go to 02:36 in MOTHERF*CKING NINJA WARRIORS...I guess it's probably just a generic progression of chords/notes, but I thought it sounded similar.

...or maybe my listening skills are poor?...

Also, fragmare, I love all the damn PCE/POKEY stuff you have been working on.

Goddamn.

FraGMarE

FraGMarE

I can't decide what to cover next, so I'm making a poll!  :)  Yes, Michirin, Dreamer is on the list...  ;)